ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghost pictures , ghosts

Old 18th March 2017, 05:06 AM   #41
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
Does anyone think this might be an example of pareidolia? Or maybe that's not quite the right word for this, if it is--what I mean is, maybe the combination of background vegetation and pixelation just by chance made a very dude-in-a-baseball-cappy illusion.
I think it would be the right word, and is possible.

Pareidolia can be pretty powerful. Karen and I were sitting at a traffic light in Jacksonville Beach, FL trying to figure out the box sign across the way:

I thought it looked like an Arab with a hook nose. Karen settled on Frank Zappa.

What do you think?

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 06:03 AM   #42
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Amateur astronomer here also. The latest ghost hunting fad is with full spectrum cameras. As such there are quite a few models available that have been modified for ghost hunting, for which I am grateful for my interest in astrophotography and infrared scene photography.
So fake ghost, but real silver lining. I'll take that as a win for science.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2017, 06:13 AM   #43
Jodie
Philosopher

The "ghost" looks like some kind of reflection of the guy bending over to me since he is wearing a ball cap too. I can't see the guy's face to know if their features match. When you have a cool morning followed by a hot humid day you can get some weird reflections in outdoor pics, that's probably what it is.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2017, 01:07 PM   #44
Steve
Master Poster

An astronomical number of people have died over the course of history, and every one of them has become a ghost. There is nowhere for them to go so they are all left hanging around on earth. There is only a finite amount of space for them so the earth is becoming overcrowded with ghosts. The result of this is that just about every photograph taken these days has ghosts in it. You just have to look closely to see them. Some are just easier to spot than others. So, yes, of course that is a real ghost. It is hard to avoid them really.

Now, should we discuss how ghosts occupy themselves with all that free time?
Old 21st March 2017, 07:33 AM   #45
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If this is going to be about ectoplasm, I don't want to know, thanks.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 06:07 AM   #46
Shuca
New Blood

Most probably some kind of an artefact...
Shuca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 07:26 AM   #47
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
If this is going to be about ectoplasm, I don't want to know, thanks.
Originally Posted by Shuca View Post
Most probably some kind of an artefact...
He said he doesn't want to know......
Old 24th March 2017, 07:57 AM   #48
zorbathegeek
Student

An astronomical number of people have died over the course of history, and every one of them has become a ghost. There is nowhere for them to go so they are all left hanging around on earth. There is only a finite amount of space for them so the earth is becoming overcrowded with ghosts. The result of this is that just about every photograph taken these days has ghosts in it. You just have to look closely to see them. Some are just easier to spot than others. So, yes, of course that is a real ghost. It is hard to avoid them really.

Photobombing?
zorbathegeek is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 08:17 AM   #49
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zorbathegeek View Post
Photobombing?
Possibly. Perhaps that is one of the things they do for amusement and to help pass the eternal time. But more likely there are just so many of them that one of more will inevitably be occupying the space in the background of the photo.
Old 30th March 2017, 11:16 PM   #50
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

What is more likely, that nature has left her course, or that a man would tell a lie?
Sir Robin Goodfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2017, 09:24 AM   #51
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

There seems something wrong with the questions the world asks, can someone put the right term on it?

Is this a ghost? We haven't proven ghosts exists so we don't know if it is a ghost.

Does it prove ghosts exist? We have no idea how to replicate finding these same ghosts, so no.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2017, 03:01 PM   #52
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

You know what's weird? There seems to be (among the ghost hunter and paranormal enthusiast crowd, anyway) "facts" about ghosts that are commonly accepted as true that are just based on agreed upon folklore. They make cold spots, they make emf meters go bonkers, and so forth. This is the same as saying you can only kill a werewolf with a silver bullet, or vampires can change into bats. It's just generally accepted "canon" about a genre of monster.
Sir Robin Goodfellow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2017, 01:26 PM   #53
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sir Robin Goodfellow View Post
You know what's weird? There seems to be (among the ghost hunter and paranormal enthusiast crowd, anyway) "facts" about ghosts that are commonly accepted as true that are just based on agreed upon folklore. They make cold spots, they make emf meters go bonkers, and so forth. This is the same as saying you can only kill a werewolf with a silver bullet, or vampires can change into bats. It's just generally accepted "canon" about a genre of monster.
This is a neat way of seeing it. The Bigfoot thing reeks of it. There's no there there, so they have to fanfic it instead.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2017, 05:47 PM   #54
Axxman300
Graduate Poster

"Weird" is a good word for it, "Embarrassing" is a better word.

My thinking as a ghost hunter was forced to evolve for exactly the reasons you spelled out. If any of the commonly accepted "facts" of the paranormal were true then we should have made progress decades ago, but in 2017 ghost hunters aren't any closer to proving anything than they were back when guys like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle gave paranormal research their blessings.

I tossed all of that bunk out and started from scratch and questioned everything anew:

1. Ghosts are caused by violent deaths....really? Okay, then why aren't Chicago, Berlin, or Juarez crawling with ghosts? What about the alleged ghosts of people who died peacefully in their sleep?

The revised version became: There's no single cause for a haunting, probably because there's no such thing as ghosts in the physical world.

2. High EMFs are signs of spiritual presence...Okay, says who? Parapsychologists in the 1970s began using EMF meters on their field trips, but these guys were usually with a University, and had basic instructions from the physics department guys on how they work, and how they don't work...so what about the locations where there is a lot of "activity", but the EMF fields are normal?

Before you can say that any piece of equipment detects a ghost you need to have access to a ghost to test it on...you see the problem here?

I live near Hopkins Marine Station, and MBARI where equipment is designed and tested to locate, and track the most elusive creatures on the planet. I have seen their devices, and I have talked to the engineers, and have massive respect for the research they put in to make these things work.

I got to see this thing in person:

http://www.mbari.org/at-sea/cabled-o...eriments/foce/

The trick is to design an experiment that is effective, and no ghost researcher has ever done this.

Like I've said before, my focus now is not "What are ghosts?", but "Why do people, honest people, see them?" That's been the more productive avenue for me. People misinterpret things that they see all the time, and I find this fascinating.
Old 2nd April 2017, 06:29 PM   #55
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
"Weird" is a good word for it, "Embarrassing" is a better word.

My thinking as a ghost hunter was forced to evolve for exactly the reasons you spelled out. If any of the commonly accepted "facts" of the paranormal were true then we should have made progress decades ago, but in 2017 ghost hunters aren't any closer to proving anything than they were back when guys like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle gave paranormal research their blessings.

I tossed all of that bunk out and started from scratch and questioned everything anew:

1. Ghosts are caused by violent deaths....really? Okay, then why aren't Chicago, Berlin, or Juarez crawling with ghosts? What about the alleged ghosts of people who died peacefully in their sleep?

The revised version became: There's no single cause for a haunting, probably because there's no such thing as ghosts in the physical world.
As my dad used to say, "If ghost were real, White folks would've become very polite to us round about 1802."
Old 2nd April 2017, 09:24 PM   #56
Sir Robin Goodfellow
Master Poster

Someone once asked the question, maybe it was even on this forum, "what would it take to get you to believe in the paranormal?" A number of folks said that seeing would be believing for them. Fair enough, I won't speak for them, but if I saw a ghost, my main fear would be a brain tumor, or mental illness, or early-onset dementia. These are things that we know exist. I know my brain could do things to fool me, and those real, known things are far more likely than speculative spectres.
Old 3rd April 2017, 05:48 AM   #57
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Fair enough, I won't speak for them, but if I saw a ghost, my main fear would be a brain tumor, or mental illness, or early-onset dementia. These are things that we know exist. I know my brain could do things to fool me, and those real, known things are far more likely than speculative spectres.
Steve Allen (of the Tonight Show) made much the same point in a book of his I enjoyed.

(A foreword by Martin Gardner should give it some cred!)

He was not an atheist. He thought the idea of a God was just a little less ludicrous than the idea of no God. He was quite critical of organized religion in general, and specifically of the Bible.

But I recall him saying that if God lifted up his house, spun it around several times, planted it back down and said, "THERE'S your sign!", his reaction would be much like yours - that he was dreaming or hallucinating or tricked somehow. And knowing how human cognition works, I think that's a reasonable position to take.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 3rd April 2017 at 05:50 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 10:47 AM   #58
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

Well, chain-rattling is so last century. This century is all about photo-bombing, turning yourself into an orb and messing with televised ghost-hunts, and generally just dicking around while waiting for the next opportunity to appear in some random-ass kid's picture on Instagram.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 10:52 AM   #59
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

That's all it really is, though, folklore. That's why these "facts" exist, they've been grown and watered over time, to the point where people accept it as law. The silver thing goes back a long way, and not just relating to werewolves, but many areas of the "supernatural" and supposed "evil."

This is exactly how legends are born and are allowed to breed.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 01:45 PM   #60
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Is this a real ghost
Is it just fantasy
Caught in on-line scams
My escape from reality

Open your eyes
Look out for blurred lines
And see...

Sorry, every time I see this thread title, I get Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head.
Old 4th April 2017, 01:57 PM   #61
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Is this a real ghost
Is it just fantasy
Caught in on-line scams
My escape from reality

Open your eyes
Look out for blurred lines
And see...

Sorry, every time I see this thread title, I get Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in my head.
It's not Bohemian Rhapsody. It's the ghost of Freddie M.

He is The Gray Lady of the Millennial Age.
Old 4th April 2017, 02:46 PM   #62
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
It's not Bohemian Rhapsody. It's the ghost of Freddie M.

He is The Gray Lady of the Millennial Age.

It is times like this I wish I had any sort of talent with Photoshop.
Old 4th April 2017, 03:53 PM   #63
Axxman300
Graduate Poster

Someone once asked the question, maybe it was even on this forum, "what would it take to get you to believe in the paranormal?" A number of folks said that seeing would be believing for them. Fair enough, I won't speak for them, but if I saw a ghost, my main fear would be a brain tumor, or mental illness, or early-onset dementia. These are things that we know exist. I know my brain could do things to fool me, and those real, known things are far more likely than speculative spectres.
Need to add that if you came to me for ghost advice I'd tell you to check your furnace and the CO2 level inside your house. I'd also ask if you'd done any remodeling using drywall, and then ask if it's from China and check for out-gassing.

CO2 is a hidden factor in many "hauntings" since some heaters are only used...cue scary music...at night.
Old 6th April 2017, 05:23 AM   #64
Parsman
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
It is times like this I wish I had any sort of talent with Photoshop.
Check out the video of Electric 6's cover version of Radio Ga Ga if you want to see Freddie Mercury's ghost
Old 12th April 2017, 12:42 PM   #65
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Why can I never find that "enhance" button?
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 08:43 PM   #66
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Ghosts don't wear green shirts.
Unless they're gay and it's Thursday.

ETA: What? Your high school didn't have that "tradition?"

Last edited by dropzone; 14th April 2017 at 08:45 PM.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2017, 08:59 PM   #67
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

My question to people who present this pictures of ghosts is always the same: So pieces of clothing also have souls and come back, just like their human owners do?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 02:00 PM   #68
xjx388
Illuminator

If it was a reflection, I think we would expect to see the boundaries of the figure overlap the tool box and the kid in the back of the truck. Instead, the figure seems to be cut off/obscured by those objects as if it's behind those things.

I think the most likely scenario is that this is a photoshop of the same kid that's in the back of the truck. 2nd most likely, some weird artifact that resulted from the phone taking a longer exposure while the kid in the back was in motion -like an HDR exposure or something.

I'd like to see a shot of the kid in back to compare to the "ghost." Seems to be wearing the same kinds of clothes -cap and shirt.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal