ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Atlanta skeptics

Old 16th April 2017, 08:10 AM   #1
hardindr
Thinker

Getting into contact with skeptics in the Atlanta, GA area

I am an officer in CNY Skeptics, the local skeptics group for the Syracuse, NY area in Upstate NY. For the past six months, I have been in contact with an inmate who wanted to start a skeptics group in the Fishkill Correctional Facility. While it looks like we will not be able to help the prisoner start a skeptics group, I have learned that the prisoner has been awarded parole and will be released within the next month. Once he is paroled, he has been approved to live in the Atlanta, GA area with his father. He is interested in engaging with other skeptics in the area and organizing. Through my letters with him, I have been impressed with his commitment to reforming himself and his zeal in organizing.

I have tried to contact Tim Farley via DM on twitter to see if he could give me some contact information, but I never heard back from him. I also tried emailing the Atlanta Skeptics, but my email bounced back from their public email address. Is there anyone out there who can help me connect this prisoner to skeptics in the Georgia area?

I will say that this person was convicted of two very serious crimes. However, I believe he has changed his ways and wants to rejoin and be a contributing member to society. If, before they wanted to give him their contact information, wanted to know about why he went to jail, I am willing to provide additional information.

I hope someone will be willing to help him out.
Old 16th April 2017, 09:49 PM   #2
sadhatter
Philosopher

This seems kinda shady, sorry to say.
sadhatter is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 03:22 AM   #3
wareyin
Philosopher

It appears there are several poster from the Atlanta area, but I'm not aware of any groups that actually get together there.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 06:16 AM   #4
hardindr
Thinker

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
This seems kinda shady, sorry to say.

Not sure what I could do to convince you I am telling the truth. Do you doubt I am an officer in -a local skeptics group, or that the person has earned parole and is expected to be released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th April 2017, 06:19 AM   #5
hardindr
Thinker

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It appears there are several poster from the Atlanta area, but I'm not aware of any groups that actually get together there.

There is a website for "Atlanta Skeptics," but their email doesn't work. There is also a Meetup.com page, but I wanted to get him in contact with a person. No groups are listed in the back of Skeptical Inquirer for Georgia.

Old 17th April 2017, 08:14 AM   #6
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by hardindr View Post
There is a website for "Atlanta Skeptics," but their email doesn't work. There is also a Meetup.com page, but I wanted to get him in contact with a person. No groups are listed in the back of Skeptical Inquirer for Georgia.

I suspect their email doesn't work because it is no longer an active group, but I don't know for sure. As I said, it doesn't appear that there are any active skeptical groups.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 06:02 PM   #7
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I would suggest that hooking up with, and sharing personal information with someone convicted of serious crimes, would be sort of anti-skeptical..

Edited:
I would add, that the best route for the person in question would be to become active on a site such as this, and take it from there..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 17th April 2017 at 07:58 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2017, 11:50 PM   #8
hardindr
Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I would suggest that hooking up with, and sharing personal information with someone convicted of serious crimes, would be sort of anti-skeptical..

Edited:
I would add, that the best route for the person in question would be to become active on a site such as this, and take it from there..

I am not asking anyone to share their personal information outside of an email address. I will also add it is very hard to get parole in NYS for what they person was convicted of. They did a lot to earn parole on their first try. A person in our skeptic group who used to work for they NYS Dept of Corrections (retired) was very impressed by the man's letters and what he was able to do.

If this person had decided to move to the CNY area after gaining their freedom, I would allow the person to join our group and help us.

Old 14th May 2017, 05:13 PM   #9
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by hardindr View Post
I am not asking anyone to share their personal information outside of an email address. I will also add it is very hard to get parole in NYS for what they person was convicted of. They did a lot to earn parole on their first try. A person in our skeptic group who used to work for they NYS Dept of Corrections (retired) was very impressed by the man's letters and what he was able to do.

If this person had decided to move to the CNY area after gaining their freedom, I would allow the person to join our group and help us.

I think joining this or another skeptics forum would be the best solution in the short term and then maybe he can meet up with other willing members once he gets to know people.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:25 AM   #10
hardindr
Thinker

Update

I wanted to post an update to this thread.

I was able to get someone in the ATL area to give me their email address to pass along to the former prisoner. I am sure he will appreciate it. If anyone else is interested in helping out, please reply back to this thread.

Last edited by hardindr; 15th May 2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling
hardindr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal