ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags pareidolia

Old 7th November 2011, 05:09 PM   #1
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

The Pareidolia Thread

One of my hobbies is hi-speed micro photography. I have photographed hundreds of water drops as they fall into still water then rebound as a column of water with a perfect sphere at the top. Occasionally, for various reasons, the rebounding water column will be disturbed and form random shapes. More often than not, I see a distinct recognizable shape in the water which is sometimes uncanny.

I thought it might be interesting to see what others see in these random drop images.

Drop #1
What I see:
Profile of Charles Darwin

Crop of #1
-

Last edited by fishbait; 7th November 2011 at 05:43 PM.
fishbait is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2011, 05:20 PM   #2
cwalner
Philosopher

Ah, the power of suggestion.

I did not see anything in the drop until I read the spoiler and now I cannot help but see it.
Old 7th November 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
GT/CS
Illuminator

Santa Claus
Old 7th November 2011, 06:19 PM   #4
River
Illuminator

:-o

River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2011, 06:28 PM   #5
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Let me guess, River: You father was a proctologist and your mother was an abstract artist. Am I close?
Old 7th November 2011, 06:35 PM   #6
River
Illuminator

The pod dropped me off at uranus and I erupted visually impaired. This was of course only temporary. The rest can be explained by substance obtuse.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2011, 06:36 PM   #7
joobz
Tergiversator

Water is nasty.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2011, 07:04 PM   #8
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
Water is nasty.
I agree. It contains high concentrations of dihydrogen monoxide and hydroxilic acid.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:06 PM   #9
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by River View Post

I thought it was supposed to be a penis, and I'm not even gay.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2011, 07:18 PM   #10
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
I thought it was supposed to be a penis, and I'm not even gay.
It's not "supposed" to be anything but what it is: a water drop splash.

Let's move on to image #2.

DROP #2
I swear that this water drop image is straight from the camera with no post processing or manipulation of any kind. The lighting I used gives it the metallic
appearance.

-
Old 7th November 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
River
Illuminator

Who said there was no such thing?

Old 7th November 2011, 07:52 PM   #12
GT/CS
Illuminator

You folks need help.
Old 7th November 2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

I was expecting pretty cloud pictures and Jeebus on toast...
Old 7th November 2011, 08:36 PM   #14
River
Illuminator

Definitely. Anymore? haha

Old 8th November 2011, 07:33 AM   #15
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Drop #3

-

-
Old 8th November 2011, 08:24 AM   #16
GeeMack
Banned

Originally Posted by fishbait View Post

Maybe it's Che Guevara?...

GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 02:30 PM   #17
River
Illuminator

fishbait: have you ever tried that technique with paints? Sounds fun.
Old 8th November 2011, 03:04 PM   #18
steve s
Philosopher

Steve S
Old 8th November 2011, 03:19 PM   #19
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

How come the water spurt people are all facing left? Is there something off camera of interest?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 03:22 PM   #20
steve s
Philosopher

fishbait: have you ever tried that technique with paints? Sounds fun.
Probably too thick.

There was an episode of the show Time Warp (IIRC) where they were filming water drops. They had a rapid drip so that the falling drop would hit the upward jet of the previous drop. It caused a flat disc to form at the top of the jet.

Here it is. Check out his two-color lighting setup.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Steve S

Last edited by steve s; 8th November 2011 at 03:35 PM.
steve s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 04:41 PM   #21
River
Illuminator

Maybe water and dyes. Here is a pretty neat pic I saw http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/.../WDandP011.jpg
Old 8th November 2011, 04:48 PM   #22
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Maybe water and dyes. Here is a pretty neat pic I saw http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/.../WDandP011.jpg
I use water, milk, alcohol and other liquids. Food dye is added often as well as various surfectants to change the surface tension.

Here's a shot of a water drop I blasted with a .22 calibre pellet gun. The timing on this took a bit of engineering.

-

-
Old 8th November 2011, 04:53 PM   #23
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Originally Posted by steve s View Post

There was an episode of the show Time Warp (IIRC) where they were filming water drops. They had a rapid drip so that the falling drop would hit the upward jet of the previous drop. It caused a flat disc to form at the top of the jet.
I've shot hundreds of 2 drop collisions. The timing is critical!

-

-

Photographing a 2 drop collision while holding the dish in my hand required steely-eyed yogic concentration!

-
Old 8th November 2011, 05:03 PM   #24
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Milk drop with red food dye

-
Old 8th November 2011, 05:43 PM   #25
River
Illuminator

Very cool. Could you control the direction of the splash by placement in that dish?
Old 8th November 2011, 07:04 PM   #26
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Very cool. Could you control the direction of the splash by placement in that dish?
Yes. I experimented quite a bit and found that the parabolic shape of the dish would focus the drop energy at an angle if the drop was placed off center.

My goal was to cause the rebound column to rise at a slight angle and then release another drop to collide with the column off-center. The result was that I am now able to tilt the resulting splash ring from the collision at any angle I wish, within limits, of course.

The purpose of the experiment was to use the tilted splash ring as a target and shoot a .22 caliber pellet through the ring.

The splash ring, tilted at a 60 degree angle, was oriented to be a target facing the camera which was mounted above the gun barrel.

It took quite a while to engineer the set-up with 2 intervolometers, a drop valve solenoid, gun trigger solenoid, a 24v DC relay, and strobe sequencer.
All the component parts had to be timed to react precisely to capture an event that lasts a couple milliseconds.

Here are a couple of images from the experiment. The viewers POV is from above the gun barrel with the pellet traveling 450fps away from you.

-
Experimental shot with column tilted too much - second drop (on left) barely missing the column The drop on top is the sphere of water that normally separates from a drop column as the column falls back. POV is 90 degrees to gun on this shot

-
Successful drop with collision splash tilted at 60 degrees toward camera+gun POV from above gun barrel

-
Pellet leaving gun at 450fps as collision splash ring is expending POV from above gun barrel

BULLSEYE! POV above gun barrel

Crop of above shot

Last edited by fishbait; 8th November 2011 at 07:06 PM.
fishbait is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 07:44 PM   #27
Trent Wray

I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to see fishbait do something with fire. Say, take pics of water dropping with flame reflections in them. Or perhaps drops of lighter fluid, ignited, falling into a small puddle of gasoline or something interesting.

*please*

Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 07:52 PM   #28
River
Illuminator

Very cool stuff.
Old 8th November 2011, 07:56 PM   #29
MrBooglemaumau
Critical Thinker

Congratulations on some really interesting photography...experimentation is the name of the game....
MrBooglemaumau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 08:20 PM   #30
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Originally Posted by Trent Wray View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to see fishbait do something with fire. Say, take pics of water dropping with flame reflections in them. Or perhaps drops of lighter fluid, ignited, falling into a small puddle of gasoline or something interesting.

*please*

Sure, no problem.

I'll need an assistant to light the fire while I handle the camera with my 500mm super telephoto lens from a few hundred yards away. The job is yours if you want it.

BTW, what's with this?
Quote:
I would love to see fishbait ... take pics of ... something interesting.
Jeez Loueeze! Do you have any idea how difficult this stuff is? I challenge you to find any other images of double water drop collisions being shot with a gun on the internet. Or even single drops! Now you want flaming gasoline drops!
Old 8th November 2011, 08:26 PM   #31
Trent Wray

Sure, no problem.

I'll need an assistant to light the fire while I handle the camera with my 500mm super telephoto lens from a few hundred yards away. The job is yours if you want it.

BTW, what's with this?
Jeez Loueeze! Do you have any idea how difficult this stuff is? I challenge you to find any other images of double water drop collisions being shot with a gun on the internet. Or even single drops! Now you want flaming gasoline drops!
Flaming gasoline drops ! Flaming gasoline drops ! Yaaaay !!!!

Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2011, 08:34 PM   #32
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Originally Posted by MrBooglemaumau View Post
Congratulations on some really interesting photography...experimentation is the name of the game....
Thanks, Mr. B.

If you are interested, I have a thread on the NikonCafe forum that is 60 pages of images and detailed descriptions of all my experiments.

I'm currently experimenting with cryogenically freezing stuff with liquid nitrogen to -321F and then blasting with a gun.

The thread can be found HERE.

-

Here's a falling water drop being shot. Extremely difficult to capture.

-

-
Old 8th November 2011, 09:23 PM   #33
Mr.D
Self Assessed Dunning-Kruger Expert

Here's a shot of a water drop I blasted with a .22 calibre pellet gun. The timing on this took a bit of engineering.
-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1282050278
Oh my FSM! You killed Kenny!

ETA: Cool pictures though.
ETA2: Perhaps the thread should be split into one for the pareidolic pics and one for the cool time-stop pics?
ETA3: No idea how one would accomplish such, but having dropping liquid of one color/viscosity/density into another could be interesting

Last edited by Mr.D; 8th November 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Mr.D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 04:57 AM   #34
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
Oh my FSM! You killed Kenny!
You B*****D!!!
Old 9th November 2011, 05:10 AM   #35
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
ETA2: Perhaps the thread should be split into one for the pareidolic pics..
A pair o doilies...

"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 05:33 AM   #36
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
You folks need help.
This made me laugh.

Great pics, fish.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 07:00 AM   #37
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

On the subject of photgraphing things on fire, you can get some quite interesting 'molten drops of fire' from burning / melting a dust bin liner....nb I recommend you hold it on the end of a stick or similar!
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2011, 08:02 AM   #38
Molinaro
Illuminator

This pic of a testicular tumor was in the news recently:

Old 9th November 2011, 08:22 AM   #39
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Drop #4

-

-
Old 9th November 2011, 08:52 AM   #40
richardm
Philosopher

Tremendous photos, fishbait -I especially like the drops of water being shot, but they're all great
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal