ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot sightings , NAWAC

Closed Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 01:26 PM   #161
Pterodactyl
Muse
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
BTW, the fetid urine odor referenced in the report - not feral hogs because . . . ?
...because they're just making it up altogether?

I was also thinking that one way to pelt a tin roof with small rocks from a great distance would be to use a wrist rocket or sling shot. A couple snarky teenagers could easily be responsible for the majority of what hasn't been invented in their own minds.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 01:42 PM   #162
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I am predicting some sort of a podcast Team-up between Brian Brown and Sharon Hill.

Either that, or Brian Brown has a TV deal in the works, and offered her a part in it, as the 'Skeptical' Renae type person.
As I posted before, already happened:

http://thebigfootshow.com/?s=sharon+hill

Friend of the show.

And
Originally Posted by BB
Friend of the show and recent focus of our attention Sharon Hill (we’re not stalking, I swear) likes the Channel 4 “Bigfoot Files” episode on the Yeti
And
Quote:
Sharon said:

So, what I’m looking at right now is, what is the evidence for this subject X, let’s say? And your idea of evidence might be the tremendous body of stories and the various eyewitness experiences that people have had, the few bits of physical evidence, the sounds and tracks and things like that. And my idea of evidence, when I look at that body of evidence, it’s pretty weak to me.
How did the "body of evidence" suddenly become stronger?
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 6th March 2015 at 02:05 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 01:46 PM   #163
comncents
Critical Thinker
 
comncents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 268
Drew,

You need to publish your drawings - "The Real Story of Area X - Gablemb and Friends"

I'm thinking a POP-UP book would fit the subject nicely.
__________________
WARNING - DO NOT FEED THE BLAARGers!
comncents is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 01:55 PM   #164
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,690
I have them all saved on imageshack.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 6th March 2015 at 01:56 PM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 01:57 PM   #165
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,690
https://imageshack.com/user/drewbot

Did you know that I found a primate in North Beach area of San Francisco a couple years ago?

__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 6th March 2015 at 01:59 PM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 02:25 PM   #166
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Brian Brown claimed 2-3 years ago that they had sent a sample of blood from the site (shotgun fiasco) to be analyzed for DNA composition.
After a long time evading questions about the results - he stated on the BFF that the lab never sent them the results even though they had paid for the tests.
He was challenged more than once as to why he did not sue the lab for such a blatant case of breach of contract. He did give any sort of rational reply.
He was then advised numerous times to publicize the name of the lab so as to warn others about sending their samples to it. He did not reply nor has the name of the lab - to my knowledge - ever been released.

Not a very good record regarding DNA analysis.
No, I'm talking about this.
http://woodape.org/index.php/about-b...rs-persistence

Quote:
The NAWAC has been in ongoing communication with Dr. Bryan Sykes, Chairman and Professor of Human Genetics at the University of Oxford, regarding the submission of other biological samples collected or obtained by the NAWAC for the Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project DNA study. Sample 6 has also been submitted for inclusion in that study. According to the project’s webpage, analysis is scheduled to start this month and continue into November. Publication of the study is scheduled to occur at the end of the publication phase in December 2012.

It is possible that Sample 6 is from a human, though as we detailed above, it does not fit the profile of human hair. It could also be from an exotic species, such as an orangutan (Pongo), though that possibility seems highly unlikely due to the incompatible climate of the area. Based on our analysis, we believe there are enough intriguing attributes to warrant its inclusion in the Sykes study. We look forward to learning its findings.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 03:55 PM   #167
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 53,359
Apes with wood!! What a concept!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 04:42 PM   #168
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Apes with wood!! What a concept!!!
So hard they can knock on trees with it!!!

Are footie fanciers really seeking the secret of his potency???
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 04:43 PM   #169
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
BTW, the fetid urine odor referenced in the report - not feral hogs because . . . ?
Footie done flung them outa the patch.

ETA: Remember footie can go at least 45' in a single bound and fling pigs so the only porkies left are the ones the 'researchers' are telling.

Last edited by tsig; 6th March 2015 at 04:46 PM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 05:03 PM   #170
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,415
Pages 99–101 addressing the "blood". The NAWAC's people confirmed blood but the independent lab they used could not. Hmmm . . . I wonder why.

Then they leap straight from the blood/rodent pee discussion to a story about a bigfoot reaching into a cabin through a window screen to push on a guy who was sleeping inside. I'm just going to assume that Sharon hasn't read that page.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 05:22 PM   #171
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Then they leap straight from the blood/rodent pee discussion to a story about a bigfoot reaching into a cabin through a window screen to push on a guy who was sleeping inside. I'm just going to assume that Sharon hasn't read that page.
Which is quite easily explained.

http://www.livescience.com/39225-why...ng-asleep.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk
A commonly misinterpreted phenomenon among paranormalists, with which Ms. Hill should be familiar.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 05:29 PM   #172
captain koolaid
Muse
 
captain koolaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Pages 99–101 ...Then they leap straight from the blood/rodent pee discussion to a story about a bigfoot reaching into a cabin through a window screen to push on a guy who was sleeping inside...


I don't know what to think now. Gablemp sounds like a bit of a **** stirrer in this incident. What's the story here, Drew?
__________________
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 05:34 PM   #173
John Nowak
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,802
Rocks hit a roof, can't find the guy who threw it, therefore Bigfoot.

Let us all remember there is a common piece of technology called a slingshot. There are Youtube videos of people claiming the ability to hit targets at a range of 80m with a hand-held model, firing at a 45 degree angle. For larger rocks and more range, elastic can be strung between two trees for endless amusement dangerous only to other people.

Tons easier than crop circles, I'm sure.
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 07:43 PM   #174
FFed
Muse
 
FFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 990
My property is 14 acres and I know pretty much every squirrel on it. These people are a joke.
FFed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 07:45 PM   #175
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I knew that. I was just pointing out the other lie failure they have regarding DNA testing.

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Pages 99–101 addressing the "blood". The NAWAC's people confirmed blood but the independent lab they used could not. Hmmm . . . I wonder why.
<snip>
This is the DNA test that Brian Brown repeatedly referred to as being not done by the lab and charged for.
Either this part of his report is a lie - or the reports he made on the BFF are a lie.
There is no other word for it.
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 6th March 2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: changed wording re: lie
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 08:32 PM   #176
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,415
Originally Posted by John Nowak View Post
Let us all remember there is a common piece of technology called a slingshot.
But can you really use them effectively in dense forest? Seems that IF any rocks were thrown it'd be from much closer than the claimants attest just because there are so few clear lines of site through those dense canopies.

More to the point, I'm unconvinced any rocks were thrown or otherwise propelled. All we have are claims of people saying that rocks were thrown and photos of rocks.

I have never heard anyone who wasn't already a 'footer make a rock throw claim - and I'm a field biologist. An unusually high proportion of the people I know have spent an unusually high proportion of their time in the woods.

Thus, I think the simplest explanation does not even require the millenia-old technology of a slingshot.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 09:03 PM   #177
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 35,382
Fer shame, Sharon.

Last we met, Sharon was repeating information from a trusted source in the JREF on what was going down with the disemboweling of the (then) JREF Forums. How dissimilar is this incident?

"They seem like likable chaps; what purpose would they have in making this up?" is so far from critical thinking as to almost be one of those "false flag" operations. Is Sharon doing a little "guerrilla theater" to see how skeptics will react? Or does she simply have a gullibility quotient when it comes to dealing with affable and likable people?

It seems kinda strange to have a blog with her chosen title and not actually doubt what's being proffered. Maybe "I Doubt It But Heck It's a Great Big World and It Could Be True So Sure, Why Not?"

ETA: @Sharon.... we know you're a member here. Wouldn't be better to actually discuss this issue rather than simply allowing moderated contents to settle it.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele
"Chicken **** Poster!"
Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 6th March 2015 at 09:05 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 09:08 PM   #178
The Shrike
Illuminator
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,415
Indeed, if she participated in some discussion on the topic we'd at least know what are these "questions" that need to be addressed.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 09:17 PM   #179
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,521
It must be a great psychological burden for members that are having rocks thrown at the cabin from nearby. What I mean is that it would be easy to sneak around behind the thrower to get a good look at them. The burden comes from trying to decide what you will do when you see that it is a person throwing the rocks. What do you do then? Do you speak to the person? Do you sneak away hoping that they didn't see you?

What do you tell the other members when you get back to the cabin? Your observation would destroy so much. Would you keep your mouth shut instead and just say that you saw nothing? Would you lie and say that you saw a hairy giant instead?

I wonder if any members have witnessed or have direct knowledge of hoaxing and are just keeping quiet because they don't want to be the person that ruins everything.

It would be fairly easy to circle around behind a nearby rock thrower and get really close to them. Would the members be hesitant to bring in a fresh skeptic because they might try to do exactly that? Is the team working in a kind of unspoken unison to protect and perpetuate any hoaxing?

Is NAWAC a cult?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 6th March 2015 at 09:19 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 09:31 PM   #180
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,721
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Fer shame, Sharon.

Last we met, Sharon was repeating information from a trusted source in the JREF on what was going down with the disemboweling of the (then) JREF Forums. How dissimilar is this incident?

"They seem like likable chaps; what purpose would they have in making this up?" is so far from critical thinking as to almost be one of those "false flag" operations. Is Sharon doing a little "guerrilla theater" to see how skeptics will react? Or does she simply have a gullibility quotient when it comes to dealing with affable and likable people?

It seems kinda strange to have a blog with her chosen title and not actually doubt what's being proffered. Maybe "I Doubt It But Heck It's a Great Big World and It Could Be True So Sure, Why Not?"

ETA: @Sharon.... we know you're a member here. Wouldn't be better to actually discuss this issue rather than simply allowing moderated contents to settle it.
Or she's sucking up to the 'footers so she can get on the TV program with Brian, then she'll reveal his scam in front of the cameras.
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 09:32 PM   #181
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It must be a great psychological burden for members that are having rocks thrown at the cabin from nearby. What I mean is that it would be easy to sneak around behind the thrower to get a good look at them. The burden comes from trying to decide what you will do when you see that it is a person throwing the rocks. What do you do then? Do you speak to the person? Do you sneak away hoping that they didn't see you?

What do you tell the other members when you get back to the cabin? Your observation would destroy so much. Would you keep your mouth shut instead and just say that you saw nothing? Would you lie and say that you saw a hairy giant instead?

I wonder if any members have witnessed or have direct knowledge of hoaxing and are just keeping quiet because they don't want to be the person that ruins everything.

It would be fairly easy to circle around behind a nearby rock thrower and get really close to them. Would the members be hesitant to bring in a fresh skeptic because they might try to do exactly that? Is the team working in a kind of unspoken unison to protect and perpetuate any hoaxing?

Is NAWAC a cult?
There are a number of questions here Sharon Hill could chew on, maybe even ask Brian Brown.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 09:52 PM   #182
jerrywayne
Muse
 
jerrywayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It must be a great psychological burden for members that are having rocks thrown at the cabin from nearby. What I mean is that it would be easy to sneak around behind the thrower to get a good look at them. The burden comes from trying to decide what you will do when you see that it is a person throwing the rocks. What do you do then? Do you speak to the person? Do you sneak away hoping that they didn't see you?

What do you tell the other members when you get back to the cabin? Your observation would destroy so much. Would you keep your mouth shut instead and just say that you saw nothing? Would you lie and say that you saw a hairy giant instead?

I wonder if any members have witnessed or have direct knowledge of hoaxing and are just keeping quiet because they don't want to be the person that ruins everything.

It would be fairly easy to circle around behind a nearby rock thrower and get really close to them. Would the members be hesitant to bring in a fresh skeptic because they might try to do exactly that? Is the team working in a kind of unspoken unison to protect and perpetuate any hoaxing?

Is NAWAC a cult?
With your point of view, why assume so much? Why not say there were no rocks thrown at all? Everyone pretended rocks were thrown? Why not just argue that the entire scenario was concocted at a Holiday Inn in OK City and an ensuing phony photo opt, in just a few hours, shot in some rural area showing rocks and rooftops? (Just trying to streamline your self-admitted cynicism).
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2015, 10:43 PM   #183
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 35,382
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Or she's sucking up to the 'footers so she can get on the TV program with Brian, then she'll reveal his scam in front of the cameras.
Yes, which is surely going to happen. Look at all the skeptics who wind up being useful idiot cannon fodder for woo on the Learning or History Channels. Didn't someone here recently post a close encounter with a woo editor and what they did to their actual words/comments? Sharon doesn't have the negotiating clout to get script approval or final edit.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele
"Chicken **** Poster!"
Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 06:45 AM   #184
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,684
Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
With your point of view, why assume so much? Why not say there were no rocks thrown at all? Everyone pretended rocks were thrown? Why not just argue that the entire scenario was concocted at a Holiday Inn in OK City and an ensuing phony photo opt, in just a few hours, shot in some rural area showing rocks and rooftops? (Just trying to streamline your self-admitted cynicism).
You seem desperate to give these people the benefit of the doubt, and I find that comical, mate.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 06:53 AM   #185
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Quote:
Drewbot
March 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM

For the sake of disclosure.

Do you have any deal in the works regarding TV or Podcast team up with Brian Brown?
Quote:
idoubtit
March 6, 2015 at 11:49 PM


Was that dickish comment directed at me?
I don't understand the indignation here. Drew asked a perfectly valid question, especially considering the fact that Hill and Brown already have such a relationship as I detailed in post 162. Disappointing; someone is being a dick and it isn't Drew.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 07:00 AM   #186
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,684
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I don't understand the indignation here. Drew asked a perfectly valid question, especially considering the fact that Hill and Brown already have such a relationship as I detailed in post 162. Disappointing; someone is being a dick and it isn't Drew.

She's obviously having some sort of internal conflict that's disrupting her ability to be coherent in these matters...If I had to guess, I'd say that conflict was part-cash and part-shame. She's just angry that anyone dare bring it up.

Either that, or those tossers really do have a habituation site teaming with giant ape-men....lol, and when I type "lol," I actually mean "LOL."
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 07:01 AM   #187
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Quote:
idoubtit

March 6, 2015 at 11:53 PM


https://idoubtit.wordpress.com/2015/...past-few-days/

Many of you have expressed dismay at my positive, possibly endorsing, tone in the NAWAC piece. Comments have included alternative anecdotes, speculation, ad hominems, and outright dismissals, sometimes at me, mostly at the researchers. Contributing your informed opinion is welcome but I’m not going to change the post. Please recognize the difference between asking “What is going on here?” and endorsing the claim. There seems quite adequate evidence that something is going on. However, what that could be is wide-ranging; I will not speculate. I do not have an invested belief. I am exploring the idea. By accusing me of being gullible, you have greatly misunderstood and underestimated me. If it turns out to be an elaborate ruse, that’s a sound answer I will accept. But I do not see the evidence for that at the present time. If you have such evidence, beyond speculation and accusations, document it. I hope that attention to Area X will help uncover the answer.

Thank you for contributing your opinions. I read them and take them into account. My current stand is fairly neutral. I want to hear most sides (I’ll draw the line at delusional bullies and denialists skeptics). And if I choose not to dismiss but to entertain an event or claim for some inquiry, I will. I appreciate your visit to Doubtful News.
Both sides? Denialist. Jesus Christ, she sounds like someone just getting in on the ground floor of the whole bigfoot thing.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 07:06 AM   #188
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,684
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Both sides? Denialist. Jesus Christ, she sounds like someone just getting in on the ground floor of the whole bigfoot thing.
My problem is this, and I may be mistaken, but isn't this the first time she's actually given the benefit of the "Idoubtit" to anyone claiming to have some nonsense Bigfoot evidence?

What's suddenly so special about these unknown tossers? Why not give the same benefit of the Idoubtit to every unknown tosser who comes forward with garbage like this?
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 07:13 AM   #189
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,173
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
My problem is this, and I may be mistaken, but isn't this the first time she's actually given the benefit of the "Idoubtit" to anyone claiming to have some nonsense Bigfoot evidence?

What's suddenly so special about these unknown tossers? Why not give the same benefit of the Idoubtit to every unknown tosser who comes forward with garbage like this?
She's engaged footers before and blogged about the whole Ketchum fiasco. She used to get lambasted over at that stupid Bigfoot Evidence site, which makes this whole "neutral" stance thing seem awfully odd. Is she neutral concerning mermaids? Doubtful. ****, I hope she's not taken in by the SlickRick Brian Brown. When I was in sales, I knew lots of guys (and women} like that.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 07:19 AM   #190
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,684
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
She's engaged footers before and blogged about the whole Ketchum fiasco. She used to get lambasted over at that stupid Bigfoot Evidence site, which makes this whole "neutral" stance thing seem awfully odd. Is she neutral concerning mermaids? Doubtful. ****, I hope she's not taken in by the SlickRick Brian Brown. When I was in sales, I knew lots of guys (and women} like that.
Exactly, I don't get why she's willing to give the benefit of the Idoubtit to these muppets, I haven't seen anything from them that would make me think "wow, they actually may have something here," and that's not entirely down to my cynicism on the subject, as much as someone like Jerry may disagree with that.

If she truly has been hoodwinked then that's pretty embarrassing, to say the least. Didn't she used to post over here? Wonder where she's at?
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 08:01 AM   #191
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,305
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I don't understand the indignation here. Drew asked a perfectly valid question, especially considering the fact that Hill and Brown already have such a relationship as I detailed in post 162. Disappointing; someone is being a dick and it isn't Drew.
Hey Sharon how about just answering the question!...at this point your critical thinking skills are severely in "doubt" not to mention your comment to Drew would appear to be a pretty sexist, derogatory statement.
Imagine if someone said your response was @&$"ish (insert derogatory term for female body part) would you let that ride on your "moderated" site, your hypocrisy is astounding coming from a female!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 08:09 AM   #192
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17,320
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
ETA: @Sharon.... we know you're a member here. Wouldn't be better to actually discuss this issue rather than simply allowing moderated contents to settle it.

I sent her a PM a few pages ago. Not sure if she made the trip from jref to isf.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 08:39 AM   #193
RayG
Master Poster
 
RayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,660
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
She's engaged footers before and blogged about the whole Ketchum fiasco. She used to get lambasted over at that stupid Bigfoot Evidence site, which makes this whole "neutral" stance thing seem awfully odd. Is she neutral concerning mermaids? Doubtful. ****, I hope she's not taken in by the SlickRick Brian Brown. When I was in sales, I knew lots of guys (and women} like that.
Bingo. Brown has polished his marketing skills to the point he's become the best of the sweet-talking bigfooting con-men out there. Hill might not yet be completely fawning over Brown and his bag-o-tricks, but her soft approach to his 'research' certainly differs from what she wrote less than three years ago:

"We at Doubtful News have decided that Bigfoot news is currently too absurd to warrant discussion on our site. There is no solid evidence that Bigfoot exists. Yet, TV shows and cryptozoology personalities have assumed the reality of the creature instead of considering all reasonable options to explain eyewitness reports. That’s not science. It’s pure speculation." (May 7, 2012)

She's already interacted with him so she probably likes him. If so, she may have simply allowed emotions and anecdotes to gain the upper hand over logic and evidence.

RayG
__________________
Tell ya what. I'll hold my tongue as long as you stick to facts.
--------------------
Scrutatio Et Quaestio
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 09:03 AM   #194
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy
 
Gawdzilla Sama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern St. Louis County, Missouri.
Posts: 42,180
Originally Posted by FFed View Post
My property is 14 acres and I know pretty much every squirrel on it.
But who doesn't love their kids?
__________________
Guns that are instantly available for use are instantly available for misuse.
World War II Diplomatic and Political Resources
Hyperwar, WWII Military History
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 09:32 AM   #195
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,721
It's especially telling that she doesn't have the courage to come here and defend or explain her sudden change of heart.
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 09:36 AM   #196
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,521
Originally Posted by Sharon Hill
Please recognize the difference between asking “What is going on here?” and endorsing the claim. There seems quite adequate evidence that something is going on. However, what that could be is wide-ranging; I will not speculate. I do not have an invested belief. I am exploring the idea.
It seems odd that she feels the need to say that "something is going on". Of course something is going on. How could "something" not be going on? Regardless of what the real truth(s) is - something has to be going on. Even if there were no "encounters" whatsoever and nobody claiming anything - that would still be something going on.


Quote:
denialists skeptics
I deny the existence of Bigfoot and a whole lot of other cryptids as well. Am I some kind of pond scum whose views are too extreme to be of any value to skepticism?

Is it really wrong for me to say that I would instantly know that Bigfoot exists (and eat crow) if somebody presents a body, but then I follow up that statement with... but nobody will ever present a body because Bigfoot doesn't exist. Is that something that makes me unworthy? Should a "good skeptic" not think that way?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 09:39 AM   #197
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,521
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I sent her a PM a few pages ago. Not sure if she made the trip from jref to isf.
She posted here five days ago.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 09:41 AM   #198
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,592
Jeez, this whole thing is just the usual Bigfoot ball of nothing except with punctuation and good teeth. I have no idea what Dr. Hill sees in this, especially since this will undoubtedly forever be spun in Bigfoot circles as "See? We've even convinced the famous skeptic Sharon Hill!"
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 09:44 AM   #199
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,721
Here is a description of her new company.

Originally Posted by Sharon Hill / Lithospherica, LLC on Linkedin
[snip]
My goal is to be a liaison between what might be incomprehensible scientific jargon and symbols and the lay public so that both communities can recognize the contribution of each party to making wise policy decisions in the best interests of all.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sharonhill23

It gets worse.
https://lithospherica.wordpress.com/consulting/


Maybe Brian hired her to be a liaison, and this is how she accomplishes that task?
__________________
Normal in a weird way.

Last edited by GT/CS; 7th March 2015 at 09:47 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2015, 10:54 AM   #200
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,305
^^^^
Huh how about that!
Sharon,
Did you write the NAWACKY monograph or assist in anyway and if so were you compensated for your work?
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.