ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2017, 05:39 AM   #1
PainKiller
Scholar

Exclamation Most craziest or crackpot you have read on the paranormal

Please list your most favourite crazy or nutty paranormal book/s

I mean absolutely nonsensical ones with outrageous nonsensical claims.

I will start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_Was_the_End

The Beginning Was the End, 1971.
PainKiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 06:22 AM   #2
baron
Illuminator

Without any shadow of a doubt, the most lunatic publication available to humanity is 'The Key: A True Encounter' by Whitley Streiber. It shatters any ceiling of unadulterated crackpottery that previously existed by a country mile, and I think I can say that with some degree of authority.
Old 8th January 2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I remember reading one of Adamski's UFO books when I was still in my teens, with his glowing descriptions of taking a ride in the mother ship and those famous grainy, black-and-white photos of the UFOs and the "aliens".
He seemed so sincere....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Mackenberg
Thinker

"Ravaged by the New Age", by fundamentalist Churchian and author of far too many similar books, Texe Marrs.

The Satanic Conspiracy is everywhere, but most especially in '80s pop culture. The Smurfs are blue and blue is the color of death so the Smurfs are undead and Satanic! NASA badge symbols are coded messages from the GREAT BEAST 666! Run! Save yourselves!
Mackenberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

If we agree to omit religious sects , e.g. scientology or that sect eith the20 foot statues south of france, i think the most jnsane has to be timecube. Or the people telling they were kidnapped by aliens.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Wudang
BOFH

From the old usenet days I offer Alexander Abian and Archimedes Plutonium
Old 8th January 2017, 07:17 AM   #7
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mackenberg View Post
"Ravaged by the New Age", by fundamentalist Churchian and author of far too many similar books, Texe Marrs.

The Satanic Conspiracy is everywhere, but most especially in '80s pop culture. The Smurfs are blue and blue is the color of death so the Smurfs are undead and Satanic! NASA badge symbols are coded messages from the GREAT BEAST 666! Run! Save yourselves!
That is nuts but it's understandable nuts. Streiber, on the other hands, makes assertions such as 'here is everywhere', 'essence is taste', 'God is in my pyjamas', if the world is propelled faster than light it will move beyond infinity, God is a hologram, 'the object of every stone is to become the word' and that humans once had an organ made from quantum superpositioned electrons that enabled us to communicate with the cosmos.
Old 8th January 2017, 04:16 PM   #8
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
If we agree to omit religious sects , e.g. scientology or that sect eith the20 foot statues south of france, i think the most jnsane has to be timecube. Or the people telling they were kidnapped by aliens.
If we don't omit religious texts the Bible wins hands down.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

There was a book I saw once, "Exo-Vaticana", after the author was a guest on a crazy religious AM talk radio show.
NASA, the European Space Agency, and the Vatican are involved in a conspiracy to pass off demons as alien visitors, with the Vatican planning to confirm that they are "closer to God" due to their advanced nature, like what the priest supposed in the 1950s "War of the Worlds" movie just before he got vaporized. Once the aliens/demons are accepted as God's messengers, they will destroy society, i.e. implement a Liberal world-government.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 10:58 AM   #10
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
If we don't omit religious texts the Bible wins hands down.
I disagree. On the myth side, I find many pantheistic myth and stories gathering far more insane e.g. hinduism religion. Don't get me started on the pan demonic cultural stories of japan with all sort of insane Oni. Bible win hand down only if you limit yourself to judeo christian world .
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I disagree. On the myth side, I find many pantheistic myth and stories gathering far more insane e.g. hinduism religion. Don't get me started on the pan demonic cultural stories of japan with all sort of insane Oni. Bible win hand down only if you limit yourself to judeo christian world .
The Oni, Obake, Yokai, Yurei, Kami stories are just so much fun that I can't help culturally appropriating them into stories I write.

The Bible has a man who died but walked out of his tomb. Japanese lore in the Shingon Buddhist sect has a man who died but stayed in his tomb, never rotting but in continuing meditation. (Kobo Daishi Kukai)

Of course this is myth as opposed to crackpottery. And BTW the current head priest of the Orthodox Koyasan Shingon Sect told me no one in the priesthood takes it literally.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 11:44 AM   #12
barehl
Master Poster

You've always got the old, woo classics like "Chariots of the Gods" and "Our Haunted Planet".
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
The Oni, Obake, Yokai, Yurei, Kami stories are just so much fun that I can't help culturally appropriating them into stories I write.

The Bible has a man who died but walked out of his tomb. Japanese lore in the Shingon Buddhist sect has a man who died but stayed in his tomb, never rotting but in continuing meditation. (Kobo Daishi Kukai)

Of course this is myth as opposed to crackpottery. And BTW the current head priest of the Orthodox Koyasan Shingon Sect told me no one in the priesthood takes it literally.

So the Kobo Daishi isn't dead, but simply ... resting?
Old 9th January 2017, 12:12 PM   #14
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Sorry, but there are too many shining, steaming examples of fecal matter in that field to pick out just one or two

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:33 PM   #15
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
So the Kobo Daishi isn't dead, but simply ... resting?
In a state of deep meditation. But in folk lore this includes some ability to asterally project himself about appearing in visions, dreams, and on the pilgrimage routes (Shikoku 88) where he protects the teachings and aids people in trouble. Also this state of meditation has an accompanying Pure Land realm called "Mitsugon."

Offerings of food are made at Kobo Daishi's Mausoleum every morning. However they are not set before his remains. The tomb has been sealed for over a 1000 years, and that his remains are actually in it is very historically unclear. But of course no one ever sees this perfectly preserved body or moldering bones.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 9th January 2017 at 12:35 PM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Oh, I have actually been there. I just couldn't resist a Monty Python reference.
Old 9th January 2017, 12:54 PM   #17
Donn
Philosopher

Oh, I have actually been there. I just couldn't resist a Monty Python reference.
'E's daishished!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 01:29 PM   #18
Apathia
Illuminator

Ah, I missed it.

Author Unknown
Old 9th January 2017, 02:10 PM   #19
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Anything by David Icke, though the Exo-Vaticana stuff is a close second.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 03:51 PM   #20
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Ed Conrad and 'Man as old as coal is fun, he was a stalwart of Talk Origins
http://manasoldascoal.blogspot.co.uk/

Don't forget the daddy of all Kooks Ted Holden http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/holden.html

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 9th January 2017 at 03:53 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 05:10 PM   #21
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

There are so many choices, but . . .
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Celeste's encounters & messages from Angels, Big Foot and Dolphins

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 08:13 AM   #22
xjx388
Illuminator

A History of Man by L Ron Hubbard, "a coldblooded and factual account of your last sixty trillion years." Easily the craziest thing in Scientology. Xenu pales in comparison to this. For example: Does your jaw hurt? It's because you used to be a clam in a past life and the clam suffered from a conflict; one shell wanted to stay open and the other wanted to stay closed. Toothaches are reenactments of the clams reproductive exploits.

You encounter this book pretty early in your Scientology career, much earlier than the Xenu story. I guess Hubbard figured if you can swallow this crap and stay in Scientology, Xenu would taste like Foie Gras.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:28 PM   #23
wasapi
Illuminator

This is one I'm sure hasn't been read by many. She is a local woman with a Moonbeam-type name she uses, who self published two handwritten autobiographies. In them she teaches Love. I must share a line:

"I see/hear/feel/taste/sense LOVE within me and all around me."

If $500 for the book is too pricey, you're still in luck! For $40 you can have a half hour with her for an "Intuit reading". Or, for the same price, engage in a session of "Passing the Talking Stick", which is a branch you have a turn to hold while you "Speak Your Truth".

Really. I'm afraid I don't even know what an "intuit reading" is. Perhaps I'm just judgemental, as a friend suggested while I read part of her solicitation flier out loud while laughing so hard that I slipped off of the couch.
Old 27th January 2017, 09:47 AM   #24
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

David Icke is the correct answer here.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 12:12 PM   #25
Hans
Philosopher

Unfortunately the fellow I will mention has never written a book nor as a website. Called Cladking and he claims he is the only person who can REALLY read ancient Egyptian....as long as someone translates it into English first
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 01:58 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Formenko's "New Chronology " deserves a mention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 02:22 PM   #27
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Like wasapi, my nomination is a local.

Self published. Handed me a copy in person. It's mostly unintelligible.

"Jesus Christ Prince of Harted" <- title on the front cover contains a spelling error
Old 27th January 2017, 02:28 PM   #28
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
Please list your most favourite crazy or nutty paranormal book/s

I mean absolutely nonsensical ones with outrageous nonsensical claims.

I will start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_Was_the_End

The Beginning Was the End, 1971.
oh that's a difficult one. There is an asymptotic leveling out of loon/woo/Kah-Raazy that encompasses a very large number of sites. The main difference being the subject matter.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 09:41 PM   #29
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Unfortunately the fellow I will mention has never written a book nor as a website. Called Cladking and he claims he is the only person who can REALLY read ancient Egyptian....as long as someone translates it into English first
I'd never heard of him. Google led me to the Graham Hancock forums. Thank you. Thank you so much.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2017, 07:39 AM   #30
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The same Cladking who thinks that the pyramids were built using geyser power?

Last edited by JesseCuster; 28th January 2017 at 07:42 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2017, 08:54 AM   #31
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

That Time Cube guy.
Old 2nd February 2017, 03:09 PM   #32
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Archimedes Plutonium. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

For sheer intensity and staying power, I give you Jocko-Homo Heaven-Bound King of the Zoo, and author Rev. BH Shadduck PhD's various other works, like Toadstool Among the Tombs, Puddle to Paradise, and the profoundly racist Rastus Agustus Explains Evolution

Notable for being the inspiration for Punk/New Wave band DEVO, particularly their concept of "devolution".
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:22 PM   #33
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ed (Man as old as coal) Conrad is still on the go.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2017, 05:44 PM   #34
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Who was that guy who interpreted every Heidi Klum photo as a direct message to him?
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:25 AM   #35
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by barehl View Post
You've always got the old, woo classics like "Chariots of the Gods" and "Our Haunted Planet".
A worthy companion to these works is described here.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 12:06 PM   #36
Scorpion
Muse

There is a series of books by Lobsang Rampa. I read the first three books in 1969 and I was still giving them credibility, even though they made fantastic claims. But when I got the fourth book I found it was about cat legends and apparently cats told each other ancient stories. That finished it for me.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 06:02 PM   #37
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I remember reading one of Adamski's UFO books when I was still in my teens, with his glowing descriptions of taking a ride in the mother ship and those famous grainy, black-and-white photos of the UFOs and the "aliens".
He seemed so sincere....
So do most preachers.

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 06:07 PM   #38
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There is a series of books by Lobsang Rampa. I read the first three books in 1969 and I was still giving them credibility, even though they made fantastic claims. But when I got the fourth book I found it was about cat legends and apparently cats told each other ancient stories. That finished it for me.
Let's help others here with killer data!!!!!
http://skepdic.com/rampa.html

Wash this space!

Old 9th February 2017, 06:14 PM   #39
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I'd never heard of him. Google led me to the Graham Hancock forums. Thank you. Thank you so much.

Are you thinking of joining GH? I'm SusanDoris there!!
When I read the OP here, I thought immediately ,, 'well, just trot along to the GH'Mysteries' and 'Paranormal and Supernatural' boards....' e
Old 10th February 2017, 02:50 AM   #40
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What about this thread from our very own site http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=316378

Twitches and itches sent by God will defeat ISIS

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal