ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghost pictures , ghosts

Old 14th March 2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Is this a real ghost?

http://www.insideedition.com/headlin...to-her-brother

This is supposed to be a legitimate photo of a ghost.
Old 14th March 2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post

The answer to that question is as always : no.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 09:39 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Betteridge's Law of Headlines
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 09:52 AM   #4
pattylt
Student

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Betteridge's Law of Headlines
Sorry for my ignorance. What is this law ?
pattylt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Ghosts don't wear green shirts.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

If the headline ends in a question mark, the answer should be assumed to be "no".
Old 14th March 2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Sure it is a real ghost.

So go torture it just to make sure that you are saving lives.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 10:02 AM   #8
fagin
Illuminator

Doesn't look like any ghost I've ever seen.
Old 14th March 2017, 10:05 AM   #9
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Ghosts don't wear green shirts.
Or have shadows cast on them, or respond to shading.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 10:29 AM   #10
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

If the picture is unretouched, I'd say it's a reflection of the TV screen on the back window.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 10:37 AM   #11
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Arrow We need a facepalm icon.

Articles like that are always filled with stupid people posting stupid comments, like this one:

Originally Posted by Kelli GoLightly
I love when stuff like this happens. Little glimpses into another realm or dimension. Cameras always pick these things up

JC Denton

tinribmancer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 10:57 AM   #12
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

No, just no!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 11:01 AM   #13
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by pattylt View Post
Sorry for my ignorance. What is this law ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better...w_of_headlines

eta welcome in and www.dogpile.com is your friend!!!!!

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 14th March 2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fix dogpile send to thing!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 11:04 AM   #14
baron
Illuminator

That ghost spoils what would otherwise be a beautiful photo.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:20 AM   #15
Cat Not Included
Scholar

Damn photo-bombing ghosts. Don't they know that's rude?
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 11:37 AM   #16
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I don believe in ghosts but unless its a reflection which it probably is its a good fake.
Old 14th March 2017, 12:04 PM   #17
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
Articles like that are always filled with stupid people posting stupid comments, like this one:

"I love when stuff like this happens. Little glimpses into another realm or dimension. Cameras always pick these things up"

I once came across a guy on another forum, who ran ghost tours for a living, and who claimed to be a professional photographer, who made one of the silliest comments I've seen about ghosts and cameras.

He claimed that 'modern lens grinding techniques' allowed camera lens to pick up more of the electromagnetic spectrum and this allows new cameras to be better at photographing ghosts. What do you even say to something like that?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 12:52 PM   #18
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
RationalWiki's version is funnier better, IMO.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law

which re-directs me to the page "Just Asking Questions (9/11 twoofer tactic)"

Originally Posted by RationalWiki
The JREF forums call it "JAQing off." "Marquis de Carabas" coined the acronymous term after they had dealt with one too many 9/11 truthers, with this later description by "VespaGuy"

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I once came across a guy on another forum, who ran ghost tours for a living, and who claimed to be a professional photographer, who made one of the silliest comments I've seen about ghosts and cameras.

He claimed that 'modern lens grinding techniques' allowed camera lens to pick up more of the electromagnetic spectrum and this allows new cameras to be better at photographing ghosts. What do you even say to something like that?
Facepalming seems to be the best option. Same goes for idiots that make the same claims about "filming ghosts"...

JC Denton

Last edited by tinribmancer; 14th March 2017 at 12:56 PM.
tinribmancer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 01:04 PM   #19
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

It is as convincing as the other "ghost photographs" I have seen.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 02:03 PM   #20
wasapi
Illuminator

Perhaps, "No offence, but you're nuts"?
Old 14th March 2017, 02:21 PM   #21
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yes.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2017, 05:27 PM   #22
Axxman300
Graduate Poster

Nope.

As for my professional ghost-hunting opinion:

Nope.

Here's why:

There are two glass surfaces affecting this photo, the rear window, and the reflection from the front windshield (which you can see). What is unknown, but likely is that part of this comes from a reflection of something on the dashboard.

The rest is matrixing from the thick tree-line.

Creepy as heck until you look closer.
Old 15th March 2017, 12:46 AM   #23
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
How do ghost believers explain how a camera, which just picks up the visible light coming in through the lens, is able to capture an image of a ghost that no-one else, i.e. the people who were there whose eyes work in exactly the same way, can see?
Old 15th March 2017, 03:41 AM   #24
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

In conducting an analysis with the goal of reaching a defensible conclusion on such an object as the photograph in the OP, it behooves one to review the current state of the science. Allow me:

1. We know that people do not lie about the circumstances surrounding such a photograph

2. We know that it is impossible to have deceitfully manipulated so as to artificially produce such a photograph

3. We know that it is impossible for an initially-unobserved reflection to have appeared in such a photograph

4. We know that current lens grinding techniques make modern day cameras more capable of photographing ghosts

5. We know that items 1 through 4 rule out any other possibility

Given all the above, there is only one reasonable conclusion which all true skeptics will reach:

Yes. Yes, it is a ghost.
Old 15th March 2017, 04:41 AM   #25
Lurch
Thinker

The 'modern lens grinding technique' is of course balderdash, but underneath is the fact that most if not all camera lenses can cover a larger spectral range than can the human visual system. For instance, IR-sensitive films and sensors used with the same lenses do form images.

So what we must point to instead is the resultant spectral coverage of the sensor and any built-in filtering applied by the coating on the sensor's cover glass. And just about all cameras designed for 'ordinary' photography will have IR rejection in the filtering if the sensor is sensitive to the near IR. Else the color balance could be harder to achieve, and chromatic aberrations could be unacceptable.

As an amateur astronomer, I'm well aware of such factors. Even to capture the red of hydrogen alpha emission, which is nearly 50nm blueward of the 700nm visual spectral limit, is often compromised by the built-in filtering. And so modified filters can be obtained for some cameras which have an extended red response whereby the red end cut-off is steeper (but not extended into the near IR) so that the H-alpha emission line is much less aggressively attenuated.

At any rate, consumer grade cameras have no better spectral coverage than our own eyes, unless specifically operating in a 'night shot' mode wherein there is extended spectral coverage into the near IR. Such a daytime photo as shown in the OP's linked-to page is almost certainly not covering outside the same ~400-700nm visual spectral range.

The presence of glass which is strongly indicated is seemingly providing a reflection, providentially positioned.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 04:53 AM   #26
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
... outside the same ~400-700nm visual spectral range.
So... you're saying it's a spectre?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 07:52 AM   #27
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
How do ghost believers explain how a camera, which just picks up the visible light coming in through the lens, is able to capture an image of a ghost that no-one else, i.e. the people who were there whose eyes work in exactly the same way, can see?
^this right here always pisses me off when reading so called "ghost are real, here's a recording/picture" BS..

Brain Dunning made a nice video about this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Which makes me wonder why these ******** can get away with their TV scam show...

Then again, AE911Truth has been getting away with selling bull for 15 years, so...

JC Denton

Old 15th March 2017, 09:53 AM   #28
CORed
Philosopher

I don believe in ghosts but unless its a reflection which it probably is its a good fake.
Reflection or photoshop. Take your pick.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 10:08 AM   #29
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Do ghosts have such obviously out of scale heads for some reason?

No reflections or photoshop involved.
Old 15th March 2017, 10:42 AM   #30
TripleScorp
New Blood

I wonder if the family even realizes the reflection or if they're seriously looking back at this photo and freaking out.
TripleScorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 06:18 PM   #31
pattylt
Student

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

eta welcome in and [.dogpile.com is your friend!!!!!
Thank you!
pattylt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 08:39 PM   #32
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

I just can't get behind an idea of an afterlife that in any way involves baseball caps.
Old 15th March 2017, 08:48 PM   #33
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
If the headline ends in a question mark, the answer should be assumed to be "no".
I had not heard of that law, but a great example:

Old 16th March 2017, 03:18 AM   #34
Learjet
Thinker

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
As an amateur astronomer, I'm well aware of such factors. Even to capture the red of hydrogen alpha emission, which is nearly 50nm blueward of the 700nm visual spectral limit, is often compromised by the built-in filtering. And so modified filters can be obtained for some cameras which have an extended red response ...
Amateur astronomer here also. The latest ghost hunting fad is with full spectrum cameras. As such there are quite a few models available that have been modified for ghost hunting, for which I am grateful for my interest in astrophotography and infrared scene photography.
Old 16th March 2017, 03:41 AM   #35
TX50
Graduate Poster

According to one of the commenters in the link in the OP, it's a "confederate soldier"...wearing a baseball hat.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 05:23 PM   #36
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Quote:
According to one of the commenters in the link in the OP, it's a "confederate soldier"...wearing a baseball hat.
Not a Yankees, one would suspect.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 16th March 2017 at 05:25 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 05:31 PM   #37
tinribmancer

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Maybe that soldier is a baseball fan and was on his way to the stadium. So, when he saw that car with a girl being photograph, he probably thought: "when I was alive, I loved getting photographed. You know what? I going to stand right next to that guy and smile when he's taking a picture from that girl, just like the good old days before I head to the stadium".

And the rest is history.

JC Denton

Old 17th March 2017, 04:53 PM   #38
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Boy, that is stupid, you idiot something!!!!!!!!! - as is the guy who claimed you!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 17th March 2017, 04:58 PM   #39
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
^this right here always pisses me off when reading so called "ghost are real, here's a recording/picture" BS..

Brain Dunning made a nice video about this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Which makes me wonder why these ******** can get away with their TV scam show...

Then again, AE911Truth has been getting away with selling bull for 15 years, so...
Because there are idiots running around out there who find the world much more fun if there is imaginary **** running around in it!!!!!! Hopefully they will leave their brains to science. Real soon!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 17th March 2017, 08:10 PM   #40
Bluegill
Graduate Poster

Does anyone think this might be an example of pareidolia? Or maybe that's not quite the right word for this, if it is--what I mean is, maybe the combination of background vegetation and pixelation just by chance made a very dude-in-a-baseball-cappy illusion.
Bluegill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal