ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st March 2017, 05:00 AM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Shaquille O'Neal - The Earth is flat

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/shaq...irving-podcast

"Itís true. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat. Yeah, it is. Yes, it is. Listen, there are three ways to manipulate the mind ó what you read, what you see and what you hear."

Old 21st March 2017, 06:00 AM   #2
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

So we have a couple of NBA types espousing flat-Earth pseudoscience. I can't help wondering if this is just another manifestation of "anti-science" sentiment.... Aggravated in this case by the fact that the science could be perceived as "white" science.

Rather like the very odd interpretations of scripture by Elijah Muhammed and some of his followers.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 06:31 AM   #3
baron
Illuminator

I maintain that a belief that the Earth is flat is, of all beliefs, the one that best indicates a staggeringly low level of intelligence in the, ah, afflicted. Creationism doesn't hold a candle to the Flat Earth in terms of the lack of brain cells that demand its espousal, and neither do even the most fundamentalist beliefs in any of the world's religions. UFO conspiracists, 9/11 truthers, HAARP, Lizard People, spoon benders, nothing else comes close.
Old 21st March 2017, 06:48 AM   #4
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

The Earth is relatively flat in a curved space. The Theory of Relativity supports a flat Earth by explaining how gravity curves space-time. Flat Earth deniers have limited their thinking to a rectangular coordinate system. Free your mind and consider a spherical coordinate system. You'll see a flat Earth is quite obvious and supported by an overwhelming amount of evidence.
Old 21st March 2017, 06:53 AM   #5
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/shaq...irving-podcast

"Itís true. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat. Yeah, it is. Yes, it is. Listen, there are three ways to manipulate the mind ó what you read, what you see and what you hear."

Let me get this straight. A tall bloke whose only skill is plonking a ball in a basket is proposing to hold forth on cosmology.
Old 21st March 2017, 07:03 AM   #6
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Let me get this straight. A tall bloke whose only skill is plonking a ball in a basket is proposing to hold forth on cosmology.
Let's be fair, he can do that about as well as Stephen Hawking can play basketball.
Old 21st March 2017, 07:16 AM   #7
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

In our spherical coordinate system, the surface of the Earth varies less than 0.55% of it's mean radius. This would be equivalent to an American football field that varies in elevation by only 0.0005 inches over it's entire surface. I think most people would consider that flat. The Earth is flat in a curved space.

ETA: If you think the Earth is flat in a rectangular coordinate system then you really are willfully ignorant.

Last edited by RenaissanceBiker; 21st March 2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Hating on Cartesians
RenaissanceBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Finster
Muse

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I maintain that a belief that the Earth is flat is, of all beliefs, the one that best indicates a staggeringly low level of intelligence in the, ah, afflicted. Creationism doesn't hold a candle to the Flat Earth in terms of the lack of brain cells that demand its espousal, and neither do even the most fundamentalist beliefs in any of the world's religions. UFO conspiracists, 9/11 truthers, HAARP, Lizard People, spoon benders, nothing else comes close.
I was thinking much the same thing.

Maybe this question deserves its own thread but when does this kind of delusion cross the line into mental illness?
Old 21st March 2017, 07:28 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Perhaps he's tall enough to see the edges of the disc?
Old 21st March 2017, 07:29 AM   #10
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
... Maybe this question deserves its own thread but when does this kind of delusion cross the line into mental illness?
It would probably only be beyond a point where the fact being denied was something which directly impacted the person's own experience. You can live your whole life firmly believing the earth to be banana shaped without its mattering in the slightest. So I think it probably depends on what actual knowledge you're denying.

If all your claim amounts to is "I reckon the world works like this and, nuh uh, I don't want to hear your so-called 'evidence' because I'm obviously right" then you may be extraordinarily annoying but you're not obviously mentally ill.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:30 AM   #11
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The only thing that's flat is his head.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

Vote for Dave "The Mad Garroter" Rogers!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:34 AM   #12
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
It would probably only be beyond a point where the fact being denied was something which directly impacted the person's own experience. You can live your whole life firmly believing the earth to be banana shaped without its mattering in the slightest. So I think it probably depends on what actual knowledge you're denying.

If all your claim amounts to is "I reckon the world works like this and, nuh uh, I don't want to hear your so-called 'evidence' because I'm obviously right" then you may be extraordinarily annoying but you're not obviously mentally ill.
I'd say the opposite is true. If you genuinely believe something that is blatantly false and can be evidenced by your own eyes on a daily basis, then that needs to be classified medically. It's like saying the sufferers of Capgras syndrome aren't mentally ill just because they reject all evidence that their spouse is not a robot.
Old 21st March 2017, 07:41 AM   #13
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I'd say the opposite is true. If you genuinely believe something that is blatantly false and can be evidenced by your own eyes on a daily basis, then that needs to be classified medically. It's like saying the sufferers of Capgras syndrome aren't mentally ill just because they reject all evidence that their spouse is not a robot.
I think we agree with each other. I was only contemplating cases where confounding evidence was not blatantly obvious.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:43 AM   #14
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Well Shaq is an outspoken Trump supporter so I guess this should come as no surprise.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 07:56 AM   #15
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

The Moon, the Sun and all the other planets of our solar system are also flat in their own spherical coordinate systems because their gravity curves space-time around them. The next logical conclusion of this is referential humor. "Your mama is SO flat ..."
Old 21st March 2017, 07:57 AM   #16
The Sparrow
Muse

To quote a Saturday Night Live skit, "man...you are the dumbest millionaire I know"
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 08:04 AM   #17
Spock Jenkins
Critical Thinker

If I had to guess based on a very limited exposure to the likes of Mr. O'Neal, he strikes me as the type that would say this just to annoy people. And the more people get annoyed, the more he'll support it just as a grand practical joke. He doesn't care if you think he is stupid. He can just look at his bank account and laugh.

That being said, there is also a quote attributed to the same individual, "I'm like the Pythagorean Theorem. There is no answer!"
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 08:10 AM   #18
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
If I had to guess based on a very limited exposure to the likes of Mr. O'Neal, he strikes me as the type that would say this just to annoy people. And the more people get annoyed, the more he'll support it just as a grand practical joke. He doesn't care if you think he is stupid. He can just look at his bank account and laugh.

That being said, there is also a quote attributed to the same individual, "I'm like the Pythagorean Theorem. There is no answer!"
Yeah the guy who starred in shazam being some political comedy genius is a little far fetched to me.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 08:37 AM   #19
Spock Jenkins
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Yeah the guy who starred in shazam being some political comedy genius is a little far fetched to me.
If Shazam! isn't an indication that the man knows how to play a practical joke on the world, I don't know what to tell you.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 09:06 AM   #20
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

If Shazam! isn't an indication that the man knows how to play a practical joke on the world, I don't know what to tell you.
I also think he should not be judged based on that. I saw an interview with Michael Caine in which he was asked about his performance in Jaws 3D. He said that he hadn't seen it but by all accounts it was a terrible movie. However he had seen the house that it bought and it was magnificent.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:12 AM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yep, he is being talked about. And he has not risked his job in getting people to talk about him. Win, win.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 10:00 AM   #22
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
My SO believes he said it just for effect. She says he is smarter than that, but I don't know how she knows that.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:04 AM   #23
Spock Jenkins
Critical Thinker

More from O'Neal's Wiki bio...

"....O'Neal would join the Los Angeles Lakers on a seven-year, $121 million contract.[33][34] He insisted he did not choose Los Angeles for the money. "I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money", O'Neal said after the signing. "I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok", he added, referring to a couple of his product endorsements."

The bolded is just funny.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:08 AM   #24
baron
Illuminator

More from O'Neal's Wiki bio...

"....O'Neal would join the Los Angeles Lakers on a seven-year, $121 million contract.[33][34] He insisted he did not choose Los Angeles for the money. "I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money", O'Neal said after the signing. "I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok", he added, referring to a couple of his product endorsements."

The bolded is just funny.
Funny yet depressing. It makes me want to bark mad laughter and hit myself in the face.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:59 AM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Big topic of discussion on Sports talk shows..and not favorable to O Neil.
I can't wait for Charles Barkley to comment.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:16 AM   #26
Giz
Philosopher

"I'm like the Pythagorean Theorem. There is no answer!"
Checkmate sheeple!

(Perhaps he was conflating it with Kermit's last theorem? )
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:36 AM   #27
GT/CS
Illuminator

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/denn...ional-speedway

And he gets taken down by stock car driver.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:44 AM   #28
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
In our spherical coordinate system, the surface of the Earth varies less than 0.55% of it's mean radius.
What does the highlighted part mean?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 11:57 AM   #29
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I had always assumed that Shaq was generally a smart guy. Add that to the long list of things I've been wrong about.

Charles Barkley comments on Shaq knowledge:
http://awfulannouncing.com/nba/charl...-insanity.html

Quote:
Shaq’s TNT colleague Charles Barkley went on Rich Eisen’s show this week and was asked about the backwards views spreading through the NBA. And Barkley told another classic story about Shaq’s lack of astronomical knowledge. Apparently it’s easier to get to the moon from Atlanta than it is to get to Los Angeles.
Well worth the listen. Shaq (according to Barkley):"You can see the moon from Atlanta, you can't see LA from Atlanta." Shaq's logic is impeccable!
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 12:15 PM   #30
Spock Jenkins
Critical Thinker

I'm still willing to allow for the idea that he's just messing with everyone. I do this to my kids all the time. They'll ask questions while they're studying for things, and I'll make up silly answers for fun. If I did that in public to people that didn't know me, they might find me poorly informed. I can pull off a pretty good straight face. You wouldn't know if I was messing around or if I actually believed what I was saying.

Sometimes I think the late night show, "Man on the Street" segment people do this on purpose. Jay-Walking and other similar ones. The sillier the answer, the more likely I am to get on TV.
Old 21st March 2017, 01:00 PM   #31
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

You don't need a degree relevant to the discussion or, indeed, any degree to the topic at hand as long as you make a good argument for what you're arguing for. That plainly isn't what happened here, but I just thought I'd put that out there that you could be a mere dish washer and still be able to make a reasoned argument for a flat or spherical Earth.

That is all.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:27 PM   #32
fibbermcgee
Scholar

Want to hear something scary? Shaq has a Ed.D in education! It's from Barry Univ. in Miami. Its a tier 2 but I don't know what that means. I doubt they would be teaching flat earth. Oops no dissertation just a project.

Last edited by fibbermcgee; 21st March 2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: punctuation
fibbermcgee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:44 PM   #33
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
What does the highlighted part mean?
Earth's radius is about 6,400 km, and the vertical difference between the deepest ocean trench and the tallest mountain is only about .55% of the length of the radius.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 03:50 PM   #34
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

There's a criteria about whether a person has come by this information through culture, though. For example, if we look out at the world, it does actually look flat. Hardly anybody has gone high enough to see the curvature of the earth. Certainly Shaq hasn't.

So, he is like the rest of us... he comes by his information through sources he may or may not trust. He has decided not to trust the scientific institutions, and to extend trust to some other sources of information, be they a clear minority of the population.

So with Capgras Syndrome, on the other hand, there's usually no social learning trail. The patient wasn't persuaded by reading literature that their spouse is a robot. It's a malfunction in their actual capacity to perceive reality.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:06 PM   #35
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Finally Shaq explains his awful 52.7% lifetime free throw percentage. It's tough shooting a flat, circle shaped piece of leather into a small hoop from 15 feet away.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 04:08 PM   #36
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still willing to allow for the idea that he's just messing with everyone. I do this to my kids all the time. They'll ask questions while they're studying for things, and I'll make up silly answers for fun. If I did that in public to people that didn't know me, they might find me poorly informed. I can pull off a pretty good straight face. You wouldn't know if I was messing around or if I actually believed what I was saying.

Sometimes I think the late night show, "Man on the Street" segment people do this on purpose. Jay-Walking and other similar ones. The sillier the answer, the more likely I am to get on TV.
My grade 8 Social Studies teacher was a director at the BC Flat Earth Society back in the 1980s. The whole thing was a gimmick to get his students motivated to participate in structured debates.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:20 PM   #37
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I do this to my kids all the time. Why? Because the win comes when they say

"Hold on just a damn minute..."
Old 21st March 2017, 05:27 PM   #38
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
There's a criteria about whether a person has come by this information through culture, though. For example, if we look out at the world, it does actually look flat. Hardly anybody has gone high enough to see the curvature of the earth. Certainly Shaq hasn't.
I can see the curve of the earth from sea level, anybody can. Look over any substantial body of water and you'll see tall objects on the far side begin 'below' the water line. Now I'm sure this guy spends a lot of time on court but surely he's visited a lake or a bay in his lifetime?

So, he is like the rest of us... he comes by his information through sources he may or may not trust. He has decided not to trust the scientific institutions, and to extend trust to some other sources of information, be they a clear minority of the population.
I bet he trusts his Sat Nav to direct him to his destination. I bet he trusts that his TV signal doesn't originate from his garden. I bet he trusts the weather forecast to tell him if it's going to rain tomorrow. Even five thousand years ago people knew the Earth was not flat and then there none of these things. To believe in a flat Earth now with the staggering amount of evidence in everyday life demonstrating it to be false is an act so stupid it must classify as mental illness.

So with Capgras Syndrome, on the other hand, there's usually no social learning trail. The patient wasn't persuaded by reading literature that their spouse is a robot. It's a malfunction in their actual capacity to perceive reality.
The syndrome isn't classified on the basis of how it came about, it's on the observed characteristics. It isn't a 'malfunction in their actual capacity to perceive reality' at all, quite the opposite, it's an accurate perception of reality with incorrect conclusions.
Old 21st March 2017, 05:32 PM   #39
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by HighRiser View Post
Earth's radius is about 6,400 km, and the vertical difference between the deepest ocean trench and the tallest mountain is only about .55% of the length of the radius.
Ok, that makes sense, I thought it had something to do with the curvature of the earth being 0.55% of something. I'm not sure what the height of mountains and the depth of ocean trenches has to do with anything though.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 21st March 2017 at 05:34 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2017, 05:52 PM   #40
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Next thing you know, he'll deny that he was ever in a movie called Shazam!
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal