IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old Today, 11:28 AM   #3161
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I'd more than that, that someone somewhere already has.

I think is was Wilson that started that tradition. Presidents are required to report on the state of the Union, it started as mostly a written report.

And we are obligated by treaty to defend all but about four of those 13, mostly from two of those 13.

Personally, I don't disagree, we spend too much on the military, but what happens if we stop? I think the results of that will be terrible unless some other at least equally responsible actors step up. Europe or the Asian democracies need to before we can realistically pull back with out some fairly dire consequences.

What i want to know is where exactly do we make the cuts?
Sorry, but I still feel a lot of this is driven by a dislike of the military based on ideological grounds.
I also think a lot of htem know nothing about modern military and defense strategy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #3162
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What i want to know is where exactly do we make the cuts?
Sorry, but I still feel a lot of this is driven by a dislike of the military based on ideological grounds.
I also think a lot of htem know nothing about modern military and defense strategy.
Here's one proposal. It's not huge cuts.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #3163
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Here's one proposal. It's not huge cuts.
Excellent article.
I am very skeptical about the need to upgrade our Nuclear Arsenal. It.s not like you need a nuke to be superaccurate......
The F 35 i have not made up my mind on. It has had a lot of problems, but our current strike fighter fleet is simply wearing out and is going to have to be replaced. Don't know if back to square one is the most economical move.
And some troubled programs do have good endings. The Osprey had more of it's share of problems, but they seemed to have been finally fixed, and it's working like it was supposed to..and the services all love it. And, once again it was a case that the heavy helicopter fleet was simply wearing out and needed to be replaced.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #3164
Belz...
Fiend God

Your feelings on the matter are irrelevant, as you well know.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:59 PM   #3165
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If you want to argue the military is overfunded, OK, but question is how strong a Military sould the US have? IMHO, given the state of the world, we need a pretty damn strong one. if we can have that for less money, I am all for that.
Does it have to be one strong enough to take on all the rest of the worlds armies at once?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:56 PM   #3166
dirtywick
Illuminator

I guess, but with the way wars are actually being fought, when's the last time the US got into an air battle, or a naval battle, or a tank battle? There's an awful lot of equipment that doesn't really do anything, and if that stuff exists solely as a deterrent, they already have better ones. I think it could be stronger, cheaper, and more practical.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:49 PM   #3167
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I guess, but with the way wars are actually being fought, when's the last time the US got into an air battle, or a naval battle, or a tank battle? There's an awful lot of equipment that doesn't really do anything, and if that stuff exists solely as a deterrent, they already have better ones. I think it could be stronger, cheaper, and more practical.
The cyber defense front, in particular, is much more urgent to focus on than building more tanks, at last check. Ships and Air have at least some notable general value. Tanks... if Russia invades Ukraine and we actually provide some direct help, then maybe there would be some use for them in modern times?

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 08:55 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics