ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cults , doug riggs , mpd , satan

Reply
Old 9th November 2009, 01:31 AM   #41
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Originally Posted by Ethnikos View Post
What he did would be preferable to having those people all burned at the stake. You should be careful what you wish for.
Burning people at the stake doesn't profess to accomplish anything but kill a person through asphyxiation and burns.

That isn't a very good comparison.

Quote:
I doubt that the people who wrote the Bible were intentionally being deceptive, in order to turn a profit in sales. I think those were just meant for their own enjoyment.
I never said they were. I think power is a much more believable motivator. Not even in the military/political sense either. There is tremendous, intoxicating power in believing that you're right and everyone else has got it wrong because they haven't been enlightened like you have, however you slice it. That feeling alone is motive enough for murder and lunacy and everything else worshipping a supreme being has brought us throughout the ages.

Quote:
He decided to take him up on the offer and called for the presence of God to enter the church. Oops, big mistake. You really don't want God to actually show up, that is if you want to keep living. There were burnt out light bulbs that suddenly lit up and the people were not able to breath. (of course they could a little, but just enough to maintain consciousness)
That sounds like a panel from a Jack Chick comic book.

I don't believe a word of it, by the way.

Quote:
He went to a nursing home to give communion and there was one who was in a coma. He called her name and she sat up and took communion from him. Three days later she died.
Association = Causation? I can certainly buy that she died three days later. I don't buy that it's a result of anything he did or invoked. Besides, so far you're claiming that invoking the presence of God causes property damage, respiratory arrest, and in other cases, death. This runs counter to experiences of other "believers" who describe the presence of God as warm, comforting. I don't believe them either, just pointing out dissention in your ranks.

Quote:
If you want to launch an investigation, I could give you the names and places, if you trust witnesses.
Not only do I not have the time or inclination, I have a strong feeling you're about to present me with anecdotal evidence from individuals with a strong emotional vested interest in their stories being true. Sorry, but I don't buy that either.

Quote:
Depends. In the case of this friend, he was worshipped like he was the Dalai Lama. He had to run away because he did not want that sort of thing. Jesus, at a lot of points in his ministry, had to get away from the crowds.
And you would have us believe that his "flock" came to him because the Holy Spirit moved and spoke through him? That he was merely the vessel for God's work? That he's a poor meager human who doesn't like having worship and adulation piled upon him because he's a conduit for YHWH?

Yeah, I don't buy that either.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 01:57 AM   #42
Ethnikos
Illuminator
 
Ethnikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,499
Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
Burning people at the stake doesn't profess to accomplish anything but kill a person through asphyxiation and burns.

That isn't a very good comparison.
You don't especially want the civil authorities involved in religion.
Quote:
I never said they were. I think power is a much more believable motivator. Not even in the military/political sense either. There is tremendous, intoxicating power in believing that you're right and everyone else has got it wrong because they haven't been enlightened like you have, however you slice it. That feeling alone is motive enough for murder and lunacy and everything else worshipping a supreme being has brought us throughout the ages.
Things get misapplied, after the original reason for the prophecy has passed.
Quote:
That sounds like a panel from a Jack Chick comic book. I don't believe a word of it, by the way.
He was not calling on Satan.
Quote:
Association = Causation? I can certainly buy that she died three days later. I don't buy that it's a result of anything he did or invoked. Besides, so far you're claiming that invoking the presence of God causes property damage, respiratory arrest, and in other cases, death. This runs counter to experiences of other "believers" who describe the presence of God as warm, comforting. I don't believe them either, just pointing out dissension in your ranks.
I was not there. I don't know why that would happen but maybe it is not such a good idea to command God or ask for things that God does not think the participants are not worthy of.
The thing about the woman in a coma, the idea is, I guess, that she was able to take communion before she died. She woke up long enough to do it, then went back to her coma state.
Quote:
Not only do I not have the time or inclination, I have a strong feeling you're about to present me with anecdotal evidence from individuals with a strong emotional vested interest in their stories being true. Sorry, but I don't buy that either.
There is probably a lot of things that happen that people are not motivated enough to check out.
Quote:
And you would have us believe that his "flock" came to him because the Holy Spirit moved and spoke through him? That he was merely the vessel for God's work? That he's a poor meager human who doesn't like having worship and adulation piled upon him because he's a conduit for YHWH?

Yeah, I don't buy that either.
He was just there in an ordinary capacity but as things happened he began to have a certain mystique about him that people were in awe of. He is not all that meager as far as capabilities goes. I believe he said that whatever he stated was what he personally believed and that it was just the most basic sort of things that all Christians should know. He did not go around making profound announcements that only he knew about. I think one of the main reasons he left was that he did not want people to use him to validate their own preconceptions about who God is exactly. He could just as easily tell someone that Allah is God and Mohamed is his prophet, as to tell you YHWH is God and Jesus is His son.
__________________
Matthew 18:7 Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! It is necessary that stumbling blocks come, but woe to the person through whom they come.

Last edited by Ethnikos; 9th November 2009 at 02:01 AM.
Ethnikos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 02:45 AM   #43
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Originally Posted by Ethnikos View Post
You don't especially want the civil authorities involved in religion.
What if a certain public school district made it illegal to recite prayer on school property? Would you want the civil authorities to intervene to allow student-led religious gatherings on public property?

Quote:
Things get misapplied, after the original reason for the prophecy has passed.
And who exactly judges when the reason for the prophecy has passed? You?

Quote:
I was not there. I don't know why that would happen but maybe it is not such a good idea to command God or ask for things that God does not think the participants are not worthy of.
Maybe? Speculation. Your argument doesn't carry much weight.

Quote:
The thing about the woman in a coma, the idea is, I guess, that she was able to take communion before she died. She woke up long enough to do it, then went back to her coma state.
Once again, anecdotal - and not an explanation that is necessarily supernatural in nature.

Quote:
There is probably a lot of things that happen that people are not motivated enough to check out.
If God was truly omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and deeply cared for each and every one of His children, I wouldn't have to "check out" anything. His presence would be everywhere and undeniable. These lifesaving intercessions would be happening every day all around the world. They would be miraculous, and unattributed to anything science could explain.

You're correct about me being unmotivated to research your tales. Based on your responses by way of defense, I find it highly unlikely that there's anything to them at all.

If your god does exist, he is not all-knowing, not all-powerful, and most certainly not-omniscient. Does he want people to believe in him? Why, then, is anecdotal evidence the only thing he is able to provide?
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 9th November 2009 at 02:48 AM.
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 03:12 AM   #44
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,691
Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
If your god does exist, he is not all-knowing, not all-powerful, and most certainly not-omniscient. Does he want people to believe in him? Why, then, is anecdotal evidence the only thing he is able to provide?

I think that's why they call it "faith".
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 03:35 AM   #45
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
I think that's why they call it "faith".
Yeah, I know.

Originally Posted by Hebrews 1:1 KJV
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Originally Posted by II Corinthians 5:7 KJV
For we walk by faith, not by sight-
It is in that "faith" where you see the "wiggle room" required for abuses like the subject of this thread. The "hoped for," "not seen," portions...it's practically an invitation for you to make it up as you go along. After all, if you're claiming divine inspiration, your flock must have "faith" in you because they are commanded to do so.

It also is a really handy way to equip your followers with confirmation bias right off the bat.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 04:03 AM   #46
Hallo Alfie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,691
Faith. Noun.

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
8. Christian Theology. the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.


Joey, I am sincerely sorry for any abuses that you may have been subjected to, observed or were forced to perpetrate.
I have some dealings with faiths and churches too however have no affiliations these days.
That said, I have witnessed many fantastic acts of faith, courage and service provided by those 'good' people of religion.
It is a sad fact too that many wrongs too have been perpetrated in the name of a God, often times lead by a cult or cult leader. This is sadly the nature of humanity -bad people will do bad things (simplistic I know but true enough).

The establishment of religious teachings were usually borne of the best of intentions; to teach citizens appropriate behaviour within any community in line with times in which they lived. Sadly, many of these teachings have been bastardised down through the centuries; (mis)applied in their original meaning, (mis)applied literally, misinterpreted, reinterpreted and/or applied in unhealthy manners.
There are fundamentalists, extremists and political opportunists that seek to exploit these teachings: Sadly, there are human beings involved; their personal failings, egos, money and power etc get in the way of what should be healthy principles for community living.

I know it might be difficult for you to accept in light of your personal experiences, but sweeping generalisations that "religion is evil" or similar are simply not true - by and large - within any religion.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 04:44 AM   #47
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post
I know it might be difficult for you to accept in light of your personal experiences, but sweeping generalisations that "religion is evil" or similar are simply not true - by and large - within any religion.
Believe it or not, I agree with this.

Though I disagree in the strongest possible terms with the underlying premise of religion, and am convinced its foundations are incorrect, I am not blind to the good it can accomplish.

I am the only atheist in my family. Yet I do not berate my relatives, or refuse to associate with them based on matters of faith. We don't really talk about it, since we disagree...same is true of politics, abortion, or any other really hot-button issue where you find yourself on opposing sides of an argument. You agree to not discuss certain things to respect the other person's boundaries for the sake of the relationship.

And "faith" does have a plus that I can see. It can give someone in the depths of depression something to hold on to, to live for. However, a person in this position is extremely vulnerable.

I think the videos show what happens when a person's faith is used to twist and bind them into...whatever the hell that was.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 08:02 AM   #48
Ethnikos
Illuminator
 
Ethnikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,499
Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
You're correct about me being unmotivated to research your tales. Based on your responses by way of defense, I find it highly unlikely that there's anything to them at all.
Yes because it is based on second hand information that is very sketchy, meaning about the same amount of information that I mentioned, or less. You would have to interview the guy who was telling it to me. He was not trying to use these stories to prove god, but on the contrary, he was pointing out that a more generalised type of belief was all he had, despite the fact that he was operating within a Christian environment. And that even in those circumstances, whoever the actual real God is, He is able to do things around him, to the point that people were made to wonder.
Quote:
If your god does exist, he is not all-knowing, not all-powerful, and most certainly not-omniscient. Does he want people to believe in him? Why, then, is anecdotal evidence the only thing he is able to provide?
That's the question, is there a specific identity of god that God would prefer to be known by? Should God be in Afghanistan, miraculously protecting Muslims from Predator Drone attacks? If He was, would that prove that the Muslims are right? Does the fact that God does not take sides, mean that He is not all-powerful?
__________________
Matthew 18:7 Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! It is necessary that stumbling blocks come, but woe to the person through whom they come.
Ethnikos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 08:04 AM   #49
Fiona
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,125
If he has an identity he would prefer to be known by then all he has to do is ask. Most people are polite about things like that. How dim does he have to be not to realise that?
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 08:12 AM   #50
Ethnikos
Illuminator
 
Ethnikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,499
Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
If he has an identity he would prefer to be known by then all he has to do is ask. Most people are polite about things like that. How dim does he have to be not to realise that?
Maybe God does not.
That kind of goes back to my first post on this thread. In the video, the pastor is saying something that sounds like, "In the name of mesh-ia yam-a-ma-shua." That's not right, but to an ordinary person, it might as well be that. Claiming to have god by knowing his name is magic, not religion.
__________________
Matthew 18:7 Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! It is necessary that stumbling blocks come, but woe to the person through whom they come.

Last edited by Ethnikos; 9th November 2009 at 08:25 AM.
Ethnikos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2009, 08:14 AM   #51
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium
 
Nonpareil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nethescurial
Posts: 7,996
Originally Posted by Ethnikos View Post
That's the question, is there a specific identity of god that God would prefer to be known by? Should God be in Afghanistan, miraculously protecting Muslims from Predator Drone attacks? If He was, would that prove that the Muslims are right? Does the fact that God does not take sides, mean that He is not all-powerful?
Straw man.
__________________
"The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly worth the effort."
- Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
Nonpareil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2009, 06:06 PM   #52
Ethnikos
Illuminator
 
Ethnikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,499
Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
Once again, anecdotal - and not an explanation that is necessarily supernatural in nature.
Does he want people to believe in him? Why, then, is anecdotal evidence the only thing he is able to provide?
The person who told me this story about the woman in a coma was not too thrilled about how I made use of it in my posts on this thread. God does not want people chasing after miracles. So I need to retract my claim that it was in fact a miracle. It was not meant to be any sort of thing that we can use to prove anything about God. It was just something that happened, that had a significance to the woman. If she believed in Jesus, and was a Christian, it was nice for her to have someone show up and talk to her that made her think of Jesus. God would do something like that, in a very obscure setting where it would not get much attention. So as far as being some sort of "sign from God", it was only meant to be that for the one person.
Something like this could be going on in this church in the video. That God is actually doing something for these people, but in an obscure sort of way that could not be construed as a sign to anyone who it is not intended to be.
__________________
Matthew 18:7 Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! It is necessary that stumbling blocks come, but woe to the person through whom they come.

Last edited by Ethnikos; 13th November 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Ethnikos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2009, 05:23 PM   #53
JewishHeart
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
My now ex-husband had us in this "church" for 15 years, I got out in 1996 when he went to prison. Who committed suicide?
JewishHeart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 07:27 PM   #54
JustMe
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
Hey Joey---Believe it or not I went to the same church! I totally agree with you about D Riggs. If you ended up counseling with the man---ouch! I bet you won't remember but maybe you should try b/c he is a wolf in sheep's clothing and I am so sorry you had to go through that along with your parents! May I plead with you not to let anything that you went through either with him or your parents though not turn you against God. I know you said you are an atheist but I just want to encourage you that at some point you may come to a realization that God can use what was meant as evil against you and turn it into good. Maybe right now you don't want or need to hear that but I don't believe you went through all that you did for naught. I am still suffering from post traumatic stress myself from dealing with the whole thing! He was quite the person to have to deal with. Hang in there Joey!
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 07:29 PM   #55
JustMe
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
The initials of the young person that did that is CW if that will help you.
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 07:40 PM   #56
Maia
Graduate Poster
 
Maia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by Ethnikos View Post
The person who told me this story about the woman in a coma was not too thrilled about how I made use of it in my posts on this thread. God does not want people chasing after miracles. So I need to retract my claim that it was in fact a miracle.
Well, good, because IMHO it was an illustration of something that most people really know very little about (but need to know more.) Residents in nursing homes/long term care are not just one undifferentiated mass of pathology. They are still people with differing levels of abilities, which means constant ups and downs and ins and outs of varying amounts of consciousness and capacities to communicate. I'm not at all surprised that a woman who was supposedly in a persistent vegetative state (and who knows if the person who told you the story knew if this was even the correct diagnosis) had moments of wakefulness. Alzheimer's patients in even the most severe stages interact with their environments daily and hourly; I see it every day. Most of us simply don't see people who are old and demented and dying, and we don't know what they can do. But insufficient observation should not be taken as evidence of miracles.
__________________
Satan, aka Precious the Cat-- the Comic! Come and read at Stripgenerator!

Last edited by Maia; 1st February 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Maia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 08:16 PM   #57
Ethnikos
Illuminator
 
Ethnikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,499
Originally Posted by Maia View Post
But insufficient observation should not be taken as evidence of miracles.
I think miracle is the wrong term. It may be closer to a story that shows evidence of the existence, and action of, God, or a divine presence, in the world.
There was a purpose to his telling this story to me, but it seems that I am not doing a good job of passing that on.
I told the person about my posts, and he read them, and was not too happy with my re-telling. I asked him to register with this forum, hoping he may eventually clear this up. He posted on another thread, discussing the difference between magic, and prayer. I could ask him to discuss this with you and you are a person qualified to make some sort of assessment of the story, but not from me, sorry.
__________________
Matthew 18:7 Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! It is necessary that stumbling blocks come, but woe to the person through whom they come.
Ethnikos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 08:47 PM   #58
SatanicSheep
Thinker
 
SatanicSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 245
Sounds like a bad time man. I hope you can feel better.

[quote=pakeha;5291714]
Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post

Legally, JoeyDonuts, I seem to recall only a licensed physician can diagnose and prescribe treatment for a medical condition.
It could be argued this 'pastor', by putting that arrant nonsense about deafness being caused by 'demons' on his webpage without a medical 'disclaimer' has crossed into the medical terrain.

It would be an interesting legal battle; however, realistically, I have to agree with Darth.
Put it behind you.
However, if you can't, maybe working with people caught in the meshes of this disgusting scam is an idea. Or blogging.

All the best to you, JoeyDonuts.
http://www.harvestwarriors.com/index.htm

I'd really like to see this beeyutch thrown in jail (instead of given awards...).

She's a doctor who battled demons with Demerol. I believe her medical liscense was revoked but she still puts the MD after name and sells books on how to combat Satan.
SatanicSheep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 10:25 PM   #59
pthena
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Maia View Post
I see it every day. Most of us simply don't see people who are old and demented and dying, and we don't know what they can do. But insufficient observation should not be taken as evidence of miracles.
I spent four years after this incident caring for demented and dying people. She wasn't in my care at the time, so all I could go by was the shock exhibited by the staff there.

I just re-read the story on post #37. It does sound comic-bookesque.

Last edited by pthena; 1st February 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add an observation
pthena is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 11:07 PM   #60
slingblade
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,466
Yeah, well, I wasn't there, so as far as I know, nothing happened to anyone.

Sorry, that's why anecdotes aren't evidence.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 11:19 PM   #61
pthena
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
Yeah, well, I wasn't there, so as far as I know, nothing happened to anyone.

Sorry, that's why anecdotes aren't evidence.
You nailed it exactly. I'd go so far as to say miracles are no proof that miracles can occur.

I'm just trying to get my post count up.

Last edited by pthena; 1st February 2010 at 11:20 PM.
pthena is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:36 AM   #62
Trent Wray
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,487
Hi JoeyDonuts --- that's a horrible situation you were in imo.

I think a key to getting through such traumatizing things like that is to have a support network of people that will understand where you are at and that you TRUST. So many times, one of the chief problems with religion is that the believers think it is their duty and right to invade a person's boundaries and violate their mind and emotions uninvited, thus stealing something that wasn't theirs for the taking ---- your dignity and trust being one of those things. When it happens to a child it's so damaging, and it violates trust in a horrific way.

So I hope you find the support you need in those you trust. I have several friends who come from strictly religious backgrounds who have "escaped", and one of them in particular needed a time to make peace with his parents as well. Unfortunately, I still need to make peace with my parents, my mother in particular. I can say that I desire to have a different relationship level with her, and I have a desire for her to put aside some of her harmful beliefs ... as I want to be able to trust her.

But I can't yet. And the reality is I might not ever be able to trust her. And the simple reality for me is that keeping a distance from her is the most peaceful way we can exist, and she can still have her opinions and belief systems for herself. I have tried to "make peace" more times than I can count.

So I hope that if you do approach your parents, and they are unreceptive or you do not see the outcome you are looking for, you will not be disheartened. I hope you do see the outcome you are hoping for, but if not ... I hope you realize that you do not have to trust your parents. There is no "law" that says you must. Knowing this logically and emotionally are not always the same thing. It may or may not be a desire you have to have a certain level of relationship with them ... I don't know ... but you do not have to trust someone who isn't worthy of your trust. It doesn't matter who, or what, it is. So even if they do not change, please seek out an environment which deserves your trust ... whatever that means to YOU.

I think a key to "getting over" people who have violated you, like that church and it's preacher and practices, or your parents ..... is taking back what was taken from you. It's not vengeance on the perpetrators that always works and restores that, because what was taken from you through bullying you with ideas and beliefs was intrinsic, not external perhaps ..... rather it's restoring to yourself the value and right to choose whom you give your trust to, and what you want to believe for your ownself. At least this has helped me somewhat, although I'm still on my "journey" concerning making peace in many ways. But maybe something I've said will help.

I hope I didn't ramble
Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2010, 06:48 AM   #63
JewishHeart
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
That individual's mother & I have been good friends for 30 years; the death was not suicide but cardiac arrest due to years of drug abuse. It was not a deliberate suicide.
JewishHeart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2010, 12:56 AM   #64
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
I just checked this thread after a few months.

I probably should not have mentioned the example of the family whose son's life was ended through years of drug abuse. Further information vis-a-vis the identity of the people in question doesn't need to be posted here, or anywhere. Please, no more initials or amplifying information on victims of the church.

The whole purpose of this thread was to cast light onto the practices and abuses perpetrated by Pastor Doug Riggs, who the last I heard, is somewhere in New York state with a very small group of people who follow him. I don't know if he's still pushing fraudulent and abusive SRA therapy...he seems to have dropped off the radar aside from some pictures I've found of him meeting with visiting Chinese christians.

At any rate, right now it's sitting on page two of a Google search on his name, behind a lot of sites gushing over how brilliant he is.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2010, 10:29 AM   #65
JustMe
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
Doug Riggs

Yes Joey and sorry about the initials. I hope this man gets his just rewards which he and the others sadly still following him think will be great in heaven. He has abused all that he had under him including those that are still with him. The church had a split and most were going to leave and he spoke to several of the ones (mostly female) with his wife with no other members there and had them get to some more "memories" they needed to deal with and all of a sudden they decided to stay. Hmmmm interesting. He was great at having people cover him by coming up with some "false" memory so that way he could blame SRA on his own devious behaviors. Joey, I hope you are healing from whatever this creep did to you. Pastor isn't a title that should be on this man. Handler would be better. There are a lot of us out here that have been really messed with that were under him. Very clever disguise he has. You can find his ridiculous things on a website called The Byte Show.
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2010, 01:59 PM   #66
Schrodinger's Cat
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,456
Thanks for sharing Joey.

There are going to be crazy people in this universe, that is unavoidable. But when the mentally unbalanced start convincing others to listen to them...that's a whole new can of not good.
Schrodinger's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2010, 11:42 PM   #67
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Yes Joey and sorry about the initials. I hope this man gets his just rewards which he and the others sadly still following him think will be great in heaven.
You know, I've spent a lot of time thinking about him and his whole ridiculous conspiracy theory stories about the Illuminati and "channeling power", the "Nephilim" and his whole shtick. Even applying a small amount of critical thinking towards these things reveals how ridiculous and false they are, and Riggs is by all accounts a rather intelligent individual, so I think sometimes that he must know these things aren't true and is simply using them as a manipulation - but when you listen to his discourse and his utter dedication, it's obvious that he believes its truth rather fervently. Intelligence does not save one from going down the rabbit hole of bizarre conspiracism, especially when one has a powerful motivator like people absolutely giving themselves over to you.

I don't think he's financially motivated, but ideologically and ego-based - much the same as David Koresh, Jim Jones, or Marshal Applewhite. He certainly shares quite a few attributes with them, like discouraging independent and critical thinking of his flock, and engendering absolute and complete control over nearly every aspect of their lives.

I still remember another person in the congregation who had a rather vivid tale of being an assassin in the Illuminati "royal bloodline." His story was and is, full of holes, and five minutes of objective questioning would reveal that he's an attention seeker - that found, in Doug Riggs and the Morningstar Church, an environment where his fantasy world would be unquestioningly accepted, and he'd be respected as someone who had "been there." His anecdotes would have been laughable and silly if it weren't for the fact they were used as absolute proof of a global satanic/Illuminati conspiracy that has the ability to shape world events, but is absolutely unable to silence the ravings of the man spilling the beans about their operation.

But mutally self-reinforcing fantasies are on the harmless end of the damage this man caused. There were many there that were in serious need of actual licensed psychiatric help and counseling, possibly even medication - and look at what they received instead.

In terms of legal liability, you couldn't hold Pastor Riggs responsible for the horrible things that happened under his nose any more than you could hold Doyle Davidson responsible for the horrific and sickening actions of Dena Schlosser. But that doesn't stop me from laying the blame squarely on his shoulders. He was given the trust and respect of multiple families, and he used it to fuel his sick fantasy world.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 27th April 2010 at 11:44 PM.
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2010, 07:07 PM   #68
Outrigger
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Joey Donuts - My heart goes out to you after reading about your experience with D. Riggs. I'm sorry to say that I've had my own bad experience with Doug, only for me the battle is still in progress. About three years ago he moved to our town in upstate New York and invaded our church. For about six months we didn't know anything was wrong but eventually his true nature was displayed. After that he left our church (at our request) but my son and daughter-in-law went with him. Now he's got them believing that she has an SRA background and that I am an agent of Satan so they shouldn't talk with me.

One way I've been fighting this is to try and find out as much about Doug as I can. I've been able to contact some of the people that were part of the Morningstar Church in Tulsa and it has been helpful to hear their stories. That's why I was so glad you made the effort to tell your story. I only wish I had stumbled upon it alot sooner.

I'm not sure where to go from here but I want you to know I'll be praying for you. I know that this experience has really run your faith through the ringer of testing and I know that you plus alot of other victims need healing. I think talking it out is a good thing to do. I saw that a few other victims responded to you online. Maybe we could start a recovery group like Alcoholics Anonymous. We could call it, "I've been Rigged."

Seriously though, I'd like to talk to as many people as possible. I'd love to be able to hand Doug a stack of letters from people who were hurt by his (please excuse the expression) "ministry." His followers here in Syracuse actually believe that the people in Tulsa had no hard feelings toward them.

This is the first time I've ever done one of these thread things but I think they're great. There are people out there who have offered some pretty good insight. Anyway, I hope you see this and I'd love to hear how you're doing.
Outrigger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2010, 07:45 PM   #69
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
His followers here in Syracuse actually believe that the people in Tulsa had no hard feelings toward them.
Oh really? I'm not surprised he'd only present himself in such a manner.

Personally, if I ever see him again it'll take considerable self control not to throw the son of a bitch down a flight of stairs.

There is only one person from Tulsa that followed him that I'm aware of, and the story is horrific. You probably know who he is. I won't put his name out there, but he's a good example of what Mr. Riggs does to people. Destroy families, abuse, relocate, repeat.

You have my sympathy. It is reprehensible that he conned your family into following him. There's no easy way to say this...They are going to be hurt and abused mentally, emotionally, and possibly sexually by this man. It's going to happen. Riggs will insert himself between your son and your daughter-in-law. He will fracture their marriage like he's destroyed their relationship with you, and they will believe every single last word of what he says with as much fervor as anyone can believe anything.

Prayer's all well and good if that's what you choose to do. I appreciate the thought, but what your son and daughter-in-law need is a cult deprogrammer.

What I'm thinking of doing is starting a StopDougRiggs.com website similar to what some other members of this community have done for people like Sylvia Browne.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 28th April 2010 at 07:52 PM.
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2010, 08:00 PM   #70
Outrigger
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
I think your idea of a website is great for two reasons. The first reason is that it will give some former victims a chance to share what's been on their minds for way too long and they will know that they have sympathetic ears. The second reason is because Doug needs a real dose of reality. I have to admit, though, that the "flight of stairs" scenario or something like that has crossed my mind from time to time.

Since I got involved in all of this my primary goal has been to get my kids out of it. The more I dig into Doug's past, though, the more I become aware that the damage goes way beyond my own two kids. It's been like walking through a battlefield the day after a battle and seeing all of the carnage.

I had thought of compiling a bunch of letters from victims that I could hand to Doug but I think a website would be even better because then people could hear each other's stories. My only problem is that my computer skills are somewhat limited. If you're serious about it, let me know and we can work out the details. I'll talk to some of the people I have been able to contact in Tulsa to get their input on the idea.
Outrigger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2010, 01:32 AM   #71
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
I'm giving it some serious thought. If I did it, it wouldn't be anonymous - I would have my name and certain details out there for all the world to see. This would...attract attention and that may have adverse affects I can't really forsee. Some of the others here that have hosted such "Stop So-And-So" sites have made themselves the targets of harassment from both the subjects of the site and their followers.

I'm asking myself if that's something I'm willing to subject myself to.

The way I see the site, if I decide to go through with it, would be a sort of sounding board or a blog with which I could relate testimonials of those that have been abused by this man and his "ministry." I'd need help getting background information on the history of his church, how it got started, where it's been, where it's going, etc. The utmost care would have to be taken in order to protect the identities of those sharing testimonials.

I do think that something like this needs to be done, I'm just not sure if I want my identity attached to it. I suppose staying anonymous would be an option, and wouldn't really hurt the mission or impact of the site.

More to come later, perhaps.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2010, 02:11 AM   #72
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
Website is online.

http://stopdougriggs.blogspot.com/

Also, I've established and e-mail address for folks to share their testimonials and additional information about Riggs:

stopdougriggs@gmail.com

I anticipate a heavy volume of hate mail from his supporters, which I will be re-printing. Should be amusing.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:50 AM   #73
blobru
Philosopher
 
blobru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,900
Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
Website is online.

http://stopdougriggs.blogspot.com/

Also, I've established and e-mail address for folks to share their testimonials and additional information about Riggs:

stopdougriggs@gmail.com

I anticipate a heavy volume of hate mail from his supporters, which I will be re-printing. Should be amusing.

Great work, Joey. Those videos you linked to are terrifying -- classic brainwashing and exploitation of innocent followers. Doug Riggs is a lunatic. Imo, this is the perfect response, for all concerned.
__________________
"Say to them, 'I am Nobody!'" -- Ulysses to the Cyclops

"Never mind. I can't read." -- Hokulele to the Easter Bunny
blobru is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2010, 07:04 PM   #74
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,
 
MikeSun5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by ~enigma~ View Post
You do know that Lucifer is the morning star right?
You're right, it does refer to Lucifer. Unfortunately, it also refers to Jesus. Doesn't really make any sense, but neither does that crazy old man.

Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
I think the best therapy would be a stiff right cross.

Of course, that would entail searching across the country so I could punch out what is now a 65+ year old man.

Actually, that doesn't bother me so much since I'd totally dropkick Andy Rooney if given the chance.
__________________
I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one. Well later, I was on a plane and this little kid was kicking my seat repeatedly, while his sister sang along with her walkman and their mother just sat there. I almost turned around and went off, and then I caught sight of my bracelet. What would Jesus do? So I lit them on fire and sent them all to Hell.
--Daniel Tosh
MikeSun5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:06 PM   #75
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
The website is going to be a little bit bare while I attempt to compile biographical information on Mr. Riggs.

I imagine some of his former victims have done this already. Hopefully they can share this information with me.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2010, 03:12 AM   #76
Outrigger
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
Things are moving fast I see.I really appreciate your dedication to the cause. I wanted to let you know that I talked to one of my contacts in Tulsa and filled him in on what's going on. He is supportive of the idea. He can also be a great resource on the history of Doug and he knows alot about how Morningstar got started.I told him to check out this website and that he might be able to figure out who you are in the real world and get in touch with you. He definatly knows who some of the people are who have been referred to in this thread.
Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.
Outrigger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2010, 03:38 AM   #77
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals
 
JoeyDonuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,536
There's no reason to take things beyond the internet, really.

This is to be an informational resource to serve as both a counterpoint to the man's claims and a warning to those thinking of following him, or already there.

I'm not exactly anonymous on the internet, but at the same time I don't really advertise my identity; for good reason and doubly so if this site begins getting traffic. I expect to be threatened and harassed, actually.

All contacts with me vis-a-vis Doug Riggs' background, as well as sharing your stories and experiences of involvement with Morningstar Testimonial Church or whatever he's calling his congregation can be directed to the following email address:

stopdougriggs@gmail.com

Thanks.
__________________
EXIT STAGE LEFT! EXIT STAGE RIGHT! THERE IS NO PLACE TO RUN; ALL THE FUSES IN THE EXIT SIGNS HAVE BEEN BURNED OUT!

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 4th May 2010 at 03:40 AM.
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2010, 04:28 AM   #78
Outrigger
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7
With the website it should be easier to keep everything on the internet. I'll tell my contact in Tulsa to communicate only through the Gmail address and I will get as much current info. to you as I can the same way.
Outrigger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 11:31 AM   #79
JustMe
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
Sounds like you found another contact in Tulsa. I am sure I have spoken to you on the phone. I don't know how the Riggs group found out it was me but I heard from him after that. Maybe your son-in-law, daughter told him? I didn't feel quite so safe after that. Hope things are better in your church setting since they are gone but I pray that they get out. The Holy Spirit is the One that broke into my delusion. Praise God! This is reply to Outrigger's comments.

Last edited by JustMe; 5th May 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: left something out.
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 11:40 AM   #80
JustMe
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
I never thought of the name you chose but LOL I just got it---OUT RIGGER!!! That is great! Not to make light of your family's situation because that is not a laughing matter at all! Will pray for your children. Someone needs to get to The Byte Show lady that has all his lies on. She seems like she is totally under his control too! Go to The Byte Show. The testimony that his wife wrote about him acting as a Pastor's pastor makes me want to vomit! He isn't accountable to anyone unless they agree with him so how could he be a pastor's pastor???? Again, please no offense to my comment about the Out-rigger name.

Last edited by JustMe; 5th May 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammatical correction
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.