ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cults , doug riggs , mpd , satan

Old 5th May 2010, 11:57 AM   #81
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I presume that Riggs is one of these "indepedent Pastors" who do not have to answer to a major denomination and therefore can do whatever the hell they want?
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 01:59 PM   #82
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I presume that Riggs is one of these "indepedent Pastors" who do not have to answer to a major denomination and therefore can do whatever the hell they want?
Correct, he doesn't belong to any denomination.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:38 PM   #83
David Henson
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeyDonuts View Post
This is an extremely difficult subject for me to bring up.

When I was a kid, my parents got involved with a church in the Tulsa area called Morningstar Church. I'd been involved in churches since I was very little, and they were all what you'd expect. Nice people, Sunday School programs, services over in time for football.

Not this one.

This one was led by a charismatic man by the name of Pastor Doug Riggs. The services typically took up about 4-5 hours on a Sunday afternoon, and several times throughout the week as well. The sermons, from what I recall, delved heavily into "spiritual warfare." This was at the height of the "Satanic Panic" some of you might recall, and this church/cult may as well have been ground zero. Despite having no formal psychological practice training, this man "diagnosed" the afflictions of his flock as being entirely the hand of Satan.

His sermons were little more than conspiracy-laden diatribes. I remember what I felt when my parents were attending this weekly marathons. A combination of boredom and fear when I was paying attention. I didn't understand most of what he said, but I too was rather mesmerized by him. And I was scared as hell. I didn't get to read Marvel Comics, or secular literature. I didn't get to listen to Depeche Mode like the friends I wasn't supposed to associate with. I couldn't even listen to *********** jazz. One time, my parents found a stack of Marvel superhero trading cards on me.

That earned me a counseling session with this man. I don't remember what happened, and I don't think I want to.

Pastor Doug Riggs was the subject of a documentary film some years ago called "In Satan's Name." My little brother found these clips. I almost threw up when I watched them. There isn't any "extreme" content, just some NSFW language from a person supposedly in the throes of demonic possession.

I'd like to hear the community's take on this guy. I don't know why, but seeing this videos again has got me depressed as all hell.

Let me know what you think. I guess I've never really "dealt" with all of this. The portion germane to my old church starts at 03:05 into the first video and continues through the next two.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE
Wow!

I'm scrolling down the messages looking for a topic that interests me and I stop here. For no reason other than I have to eventually stop somewhere. My original thought was that you were a person who didn't like a particular snake oil salesman and you wanted others of a like mind's diatribe. Common spiritual fare, so I looked at your post number and am surprised to see 8,000 plus.

I didn't look at the videos. I didn't read responses to the OP.

But I get the sense you are not telling everything in the OP itself.

Just from your post I can see that there is some pretty heavy stuff. But you could be exaggerating it for effect.

It is a shame. Stupid people get screwed up in religious abominations (everything religious is an abomination) and drag their kids into it. Looking for what? Redemption?

Idiots.
David Henson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 08:42 PM   #84
David Henson
Banned

Originally Posted by ~enigma~ View Post
You do know that Lucifer is the morning star right?
Oh, really? I thought it was Nebuchadnezzar. Silly me.

People like you who screw up religious tradition, which is nonsense from the start, don't really fix anything, you know?
David Henson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2010, 08:46 PM   #85
David Henson
Banned

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
Being a Tulsa native, and a former Pentecostal Fundie, I know too damned well how deeply this can mess a person up.

Joey, you have my sympathetic shoulder and my support. Those sicko bastards make me so angry. Sorry, hon.
You're kidding, right?

I mean, these guys are a joke! Their children are the ones who you gotta watch out for. They know what is going on. They know what side of the tracks reality abounds!

I mean! Feck! Their kids are not typically very bright and y'all didn't see this coming?

C'mon!
Old 5th May 2010, 08:59 PM   #86
JoeyDonuts

Originally Posted by David Henson View Post
I'm scrolling down the messages looking for a topic that interests me and I stop here. For no reason other than I have to eventually stop somewhere. My original thought was that you were a person who didn't like a particular snake oil salesman and you wanted others of a like mind's diatribe. Common spiritual fare, so I looked at your post number and am surprised to see 8,000 plus.
My post count is relevant why?

Quote:
Then you're in a great place to throw out comments.

Quote:
But I get the sense you are not telling everything in the OP itself.
And where did you acquire this sense? You didn't watch the videos. You didn't read the responses to my OP. This gift of yours seems like a real time-saver.

Quote:
Just from your post I can see that there is some pretty heavy stuff. But you could be exaggerating it for effect.
What "effect" do you think I'm going for?

Quote:
It is a shame. Stupid people get screwed up in religious abominations (everything religious is an abomination) and drag their kids into it. Looking for what? Redemption?
For someone who, by their own admission, did not watch the videos you seem awfully quick to pass judgement on an issue you're admittedly ignorant of.

Quote:
Idiots.
Thanks for your input. You've really done some good work here.
Old 6th May 2010, 01:54 AM   #87
DC
Banned

Oh, really? I thought it was Nebuchadnezzar. Silly me.

People like you who screw up religious tradition, which is nonsense from the start, don't really fix anything, you know?
religious tradition is nonsence from the start? true that
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 04:15 AM   #88
Outrigger
New Blood

Thanks for your reply. The fact that after all this time your response to Doug's call was fear shows the extent of the damage done during your time at morningstar. I want to encourage you not to be afraid," For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." ne thing I have come to see is that there are alot of people out there who are willing to stand with you,
If you think you might have my phone number give me a call. I'd like to hear from you.
Outrigger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 04:38 AM   #89
JoeyDonuts

Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Thanks for your reply. The fact that after all this time your response to Doug's call was fear shows the extent of the damage done during your time at morningstar. I want to encourage you not to be afraid," For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." ne thing I have come to see is that there are alot of people out there who are willing to stand with you,
If you think you might have my phone number give me a call. I'd like to hear from you.
I think you might have a few things confused.

I was not contacted by Doug Riggs. This whole thing started when I stumbled onto YouTube videos of the old HBO documentary "In Satan's Name" that was shot at Morningstar Testimonial when I was about 12 or so.

And my reaction then was about like it was now. Not fear, but disgust and genuine anger at his manipulation of those people. I didn't truly appreciate what was happening back then. I was young, and didn't really have context to understand what was going on. I do now, and my poking around has revealed that he is most certainly "still at it." Doug holds no power over me, just like he holds no true power over anyone else that they themselves have not given him.

I don't know who you are personally, and with respect - I am not interested in conversing via telephone at this time, as I'd like to keep some degree of standoff between my identity and my research into this issue.

I'd actually prefer that this kind of correspondence went to the stopdougriggs@gmail.com address, if you wouldn't mind.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:43 AM   #90
JustMe
New Blood

I think you might have a few things confused.

I was not contacted by Doug Riggs. This whole thing started when I stumbled onto YouTube videos of the old HBO documentary "In Satan's Name" that was shot at Morningstar Testimonial when I was about 12 or so.

And my reaction then was about like it was now. Not fear, but disgust and genuine anger at his manipulation of those people. I didn't truly appreciate what was happening back then. I was young, and didn't really have context to understand what was going on. I do now, and my poking around has revealed that he is most certainly "still at it." Doug holds no power over me, just like he holds no true power over anyone else that they themselves have not given him.

I don't know who you are personally, and with respect - I am not interested in conversing via telephone at this time, as I'd like to keep some degree of standoff between my identity and my research into this issue.

I'd actually prefer that this kind of correspondence went to the stopdougriggs@gmail.com address, if you wouldn't mind.
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Sounds like you found another contact in Tulsa. I am sure I have spoken to you on the phone. I don't know how the Riggs group found out it was me but I heard from him after that. Maybe your son-in-law, daughter told him? I didn't feel quite so safe after that. Hope things are better in your church setting since they are gone but I pray that they get out. The Holy Spirit is the One that broke into my delusion. Praise God! This is reply to Outrigger's comments.

Sorry Joey I believe this post was probably meant for me and my response to Outrigger regarding DR. He would be addressing my comments.

Last edited by JustMe; 6th May 2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: add more info
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 09:46 AM   #91
JustMe
New Blood

To Outrigger: I probably had your phone number as I do believe we had a lengthy conversation over the phone. One other thing, DR emailed not phoned. I don't think he would have the nerve to call. I will check my old email files to see if I have your phone number there. I hope I cleared up that you were probably addressing me and not Joey Donuts.
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 09:58 AM   #92
JustMe
New Blood

Quote:

TRUST ME there is no exaggeration whatsoever in JD's post for any kind of effect. I applaud him for his courage to stand up against this criminal! He obviously moved to another state and is continuing his role as a divider of families per Outrigger's comments. He did it in one state and has moved on to another.

Last edited by JustMe; 6th May 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 6th May 2010, 02:30 PM   #93
Gaspode
Indestructible

Mod WarningSome posts moved to AAH.

Keep on topic please.
Posted By:Gaspode
Gaspode is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 03:17 PM   #94
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,

Then you're in a great place to throw out comments.
good stuff.

This Riggs guy reminds me a lot of David Koresh.
I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one. Well later, I was on a plane and this little kid was kicking my seat repeatedly, while his sister sang along with her walkman and their mother just sat there. I almost turned around and went off, and then I caught sight of my bracelet. What would Jesus do? So I lit them on fire and sent them all to Hell.
--Daniel Tosh
MikeSun5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2010, 07:28 PM   #95
JoeyDonuts

To Outrigger: I probably had your phone number as I do believe we had a lengthy conversation over the phone. One other thing, DR emailed not phoned. I don't think he would have the nerve to call. I will check my old email files to see if I have your phone number there. I hope I cleared up that you were probably addressing me and not Joey Donuts.
No problem. Communication can be sketchy on threads at times.

I'll be putting the first posts up this weekend, and most likely focusing on debunking the notion of an "international Satanic conspiracy." Seems relevant since it's at the very crux of what Riggs pushes on people.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:49 PM   #96
JoeyDonuts

Wow. Looks like I caught the attention of at least one proponent of SRA phenomena, who bombarded me with links to a Pastor Russ Dizdar.

I haven't yet gone through his writings in detail, but my first impressions of him is that he's sort of a fundie Christian version of Alex Jones.

Through this door be lunacy, methinks.
Old 10th May 2010, 02:57 PM   #97
JustMe
New Blood

Wow. Looks like I caught the attention of at least one proponent of SRA phenomena, who bombarded me with links to a Pastor Russ Dizdar.

I haven't yet gone through his writings in detail, but my first impressions of him is that he's sort of a fundie Christian version of Alex Jones.

Through this door be lunacy, methinks.
Sounds like something Doug Riggs or one of his followers would send to you.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:55 PM   #98
JoeyDonuts

Sounds like something Doug Riggs or one of his followers would send to you.
It was. I know which one, too.

I checked out some of their links to this Dizdar guy. WOW.

It's not often you get so many varied kooky beliefs crammed into one person.

Well, actually, I take that back. Once you start believing in one conspiracy, you're pretty much game for all others. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to learn that Riggs and others in the SRA therapy crowd believe in 9/11 conspiracy theories, JFK assassination, moon landing, black helicopters, and all that other nonsense - they just attribute them to their chosen boogeymen.

You know, I was watching that CW series "Supernatural" the other day, about the two brothers who go around fighting demons that posess humans, controlled by secret societies, yada yada yada. The whole thing is pretty campy in a slightly-more-serious "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" kind of way. I was stricken with the epiphany that if Doug Riggs ever watched this show, he'd think he was watching a reality series.
Old 11th May 2010, 01:50 AM   #99
Kopji

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

In English, "Lucifer" generally refers to Satan,
although the name is not applied to him in the New Testament.
The use of the name "Lucifer" in reference to a fallen angel stems from an interpretation of Isaiah 14:3–20, a passage that speaks of a particular Babylonian King, to whom it gives the title of "Day Star", "Morning Star" (in Latin, lucifer), as fallen or destined to fall from the heavens or sky. In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used to refer to the Morning Star, with no relation to the devil. However, in post-New Testament times the Latin word Lucifer has often been used as a name for the devil, both in religious writing and in fiction.
so enigma was correct
(sorry wiki, religious writing is fiction)
the videos are sad

Normal, intelligent people can compartmentalize their lives; it seems unfair to place vulnerable people in the category of idiots, but they are not innocent victims either. Instead of an STD they have an RTD (religion transmitted disease).

A challenge to believers is to come up with a religious version of a condom... :|
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 04:37 AM   #100
Outrigger
New Blood

One day I'll figure out how to use this website, until then I'll just say this is for JoeyD.
I ran into Russ Dizdar as one of the many people DR recommended. Needless to say Russ is big into the whole SRA storyline.My biggest challange in all this is to separate fact from fiction.I,m beginning to see there"s alot more fiction than fact.
I'll send some stuff about DR's recent activity here in central NY via the websites email. Thanks again for setting that up.
Outrigger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2010, 04:56 AM   #101
JoeyDonuts

Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
One day I'll figure out how to use this website, until then I'll just say this is for JoeyD.
I ran into Russ Dizdar as one of the many people DR recommended. Needless to say Russ is big into the whole SRA storyline.My biggest challange in all this is to separate fact from fiction.I,m beginning to see there"s alot more fiction than fact.
I'll send some stuff about DR's recent activity here in central NY via the websites email. Thanks again for setting that up.
Russ Dizdar is pretty interesting, and I think I see him for what he is.

He's making sure to include a copyright notice on his expose on how the New World Order is making advanced super soldiers through multi-generational child murder and sexual rituals designed to weaponize Satanic powers, whatever the hell that means.

Also, he's selling a book. What does that tell you? He's trying to make money off of this, and I believe he hasn't committed to it being intended as fact or fiction yet. I think if he ever gets publicly called out on it by a group like Cornerstone that nailed Mike Warnke, he's hedging his bets and he'll say it was all fiction (hence the copyright notice) and throw the SRA believers under the bus. Or he'll continue to sell them books because he's recognized a market segment that will believe nearly anything as long as it's wrapped up with the idea of SRA.

This is like Scientology-level bizarre.
Old 12th May 2010, 02:07 AM   #102
JoeyDonuts

Hey!

My first "why are you doing this" email!

Excerpt:

Quote:
"I would encourage you to look at whether this "stop Doug Riggs" motivation stems from a root of bitterness. If it indeed does, The Lord will not honor your desire, whether you are right in your desire for vindication or not. You do not have the authority to "stop Doug Riggs" only God does. Therefore you need to seriously be before Him asking if this intention of yours glorifies Him for if it does not, you are fighting a losing battle."
I'm so happy! *sniff*
Old 12th May 2010, 04:44 PM   #103
JustMe
New Blood

My goodness Joey! You don't have the authority to stop him. That sounds sooooooo familiar! Sounds like a programmed, brainwashed, follower of DR! Please pray for these poor souls that are under his "mind control". They have handed their brains over to him!
Old 12th May 2010, 06:13 PM   #104
JustMe
New Blood

Quote:
"I would encourage you to look at whether this "stop Doug Riggs" motivation stems from a root of bitterness. If it indeed does, The Lord will not honor your desire, whether you are right in your desire for vindication or not. You do not have the authority to "stop Doug Riggs" only God does. Therefore you need to seriously be before Him asking if this intention of yours glorifies Him for if it does not, you are fighting a losing battle."

Dear one whomever you are: I would like to respond to you that you seriously be before the Lord and ask Him if you are involved in a cult. The Lord does not operate the way Doug Riggs does although he will throw all kinds of Scripture out at you to keep you in control. Remember the Lord REALLY needs this man and for him to do all this work in his own flesh so Jesus Christ can come back. He really needs for people to be educated on how much EXPERIENCE this man has had and how he just has all this "special" insight that the rest of the Laodicean church just doesn't have. That is why he has no accountability to anyone but himself or to someone that doesn't know the whole history of Morningstar Testimony Church. You aren't going to hear it from him or his wife or his followers about how they hurt so many other people either through false accusations or manipulation or control. Dear one you will be prayed for that the Lord Jesus Christ Himself will release your mind unto Himself and not to what you have been programmed to believe. If you are a new person to his following, please be very very cautious and don't give your mind over to his ways but to the Way and the Truth and the Life Himself! Jesus Christ did not control His followers. You may think you are there by choice but you will be prayed for. If you are someone that has been with him for a long time you will also be prayed for that you will have your right mind returned to you! The one Jesus Christ gave you to own and think rationally and for yourself and to make good choices on your own! May He have his Great Mercy upon you!

Last edited by JustMe; 12th May 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:46 PM   #105
JoeyDonuts

Just a suggestion...your rebuttal probably won't be seen here.

Post it as a comment on the StopDougRiggs blog.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:48 PM   #106
JoeyDonuts

My goodness Joey! You don't have the authority to stop him. That sounds sooooooo familiar! Sounds like a programmed, brainwashed, follower of DR! Please pray for these poor souls that are under his "mind control". They have handed their brains over to him!
Just throwing this out there - I don't pray. I take action, hence the website.
Old 13th May 2010, 05:47 PM   #107
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,

My first "why are you doing this" email!
NICE! You know that email's simply proof that you're doing it correctly.
I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one. Well later, I was on a plane and this little kid was kicking my seat repeatedly, while his sister sang along with her walkman and their mother just sat there. I almost turned around and went off, and then I caught sight of my bracelet. What would Jesus do? So I lit them on fire and sent them all to Hell.
--Daniel Tosh
MikeSun5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2010, 10:25 PM   #108
JoeyDonuts

Holy crap. My site is going to wind up turning into a lightning rod for all kinds of mind control conspiracies. I've been deluged with all kinds of links, and doing my best to rebut them one at a time.

Not this weekend though.

I threw together a history of CIA mind control experimentation and called it a night.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:54 PM   #109
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,

I've been deluged with all kinds of links, and doing my best to rebut them one at a time.

"That's what friends are fooooooorrrr...."

I'm sure you can find some folks on here willing to do some rebutting for you. Some have already started!
--Daniel Tosh
Old 13th May 2010, 11:44 PM   #110
JoeyDonuts

Well, truth be told, everything I've been presented with has already been debunked elsewhere as far as the general conspiracy theories.

I still need to finish reading Dizdar's book. I'm not terribly enthusiastic - it's atrocious.

Plus, I've also gotten a lot of information forwarded to me written by PhD's that support the idea of Satanic Ritual Abuse...none of them in peer-reviewed journals, which is pretty telling.
Old 14th May 2010, 03:23 PM   #111
JustMe
New Blood

Smile In Satan's Name

Joey don't let it throw you off track of your goal of showing the hypocrisy of Doug Riggs and his title of pastor and his abusive counseling towards people that have gone to him for help. That may be why you are being bombarded to get you off track. Just a thought

Holy crap. My site is going to wind up turning into a lightning rod for all kinds of mind control conspiracies. I've been deluged with all kinds of links, and doing my best to rebut them one at a time.

Not this weekend though.

I threw together a history of CIA mind control experimentation and called it a night.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:26 AM   #112
JewishHeart
New Blood

As a victim of Doug Riggs and the MST, I made the decision to let God handle him. God will in His time and His way. I am focusing on the healing of myself and children (my marriage ended in divorce by the way, and my ex is serving a 35 year prison sentence for molesting our oldest daughter). I was so afraid of being a "Jezebel", any woman in that group who questioned either her husband or DR was accused of having the spirit of Jezebel. If there were problems in a marriage it was always the wife's fault, not being submissive enough, etc. One thing I am very curious about however is what is the real reason that the group left the church in Syracuse that they moved up to New York to be a part of? My youngest child (now an adult) does not remember their father or much about MST which is probably why he is the most normal and is serving the Lord. It is better not to have an earthly father than to have one who is a hypocrite. Also I moved from Tulsa to a place where nobody knows my ex. I have spoken at a university at the Deviant Religious Movements course that uses the documentary in the classroom. Also I returned to Judaism, and am with a messianic synagogue that is part of an international group that has a system of accountability. Anyone who ever disagreed with DR was immediately on his @#%&* list and was accused of being a satanist, etc. I do pray for the families that were ripped apart and apparently still happening. God is all powerful not satan! God has not given the spirit of fear but of power & love and a sound mind!
JewishHeart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2010, 11:40 AM   #113
JustMe
New Blood

Jewish Heart--so thrilled to hear you got out. The Riggs group was asked to leave the church they were at in Syracuse NY b/c 2 of the girls in his group reported some of the people in the church were involved in Satanic rituals. The group left with one couple following them b/c they convinced her she had this background. I have been in touch with the father of the husband of the couple that left w/ the group. Mr Riggs is up to his usual no good! I am sure you wouldn't want to hear his latest but if you do go to the Byte Show and you can hear him plus the group talk about their nephilim sons. It is sad to hear that you are still suffering from maybe PTSD from being in that group. I think Joey Donuts is doing an excellent job on his stopdougriggs website!
Old 17th May 2010, 07:48 PM   #114
JoeyDonuts

I am sure you wouldn't want to hear his latest but if you do go to the Byte Show and you can hear him plus the group talk about their nephilim sons.
Given what I know about one of the members and his sons, that literally makes me want to vomit in disgust.
Old 18th May 2010, 06:54 AM   #115
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense like this makes me appreciate (not for the first time) how lucky I was in my parents.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2010, 06:11 AM   #116
JewishHeart
New Blood

I know all too well this so called "church". My now ex-husband followed him (I think he still does from his prison cell) and the group started meeting in our home. Thankfully (although after too many years) I managed to escape along with 7 of my children. I left Tulsa to start a new life, and feel I have finally recovered. I am now have been in a very spiritually healthy situation for going on eleven years. My children have serious scars but are recovering. Also after being pounded with the scripture "wives submit yourselves to your husbands" I came to my senses when I realized that part of that verse had been omitted. "Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as to the Lord"I know now that the Lord does not abuse women, molest children, etc.
JewishHeart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:42 PM   #117
Outrigger
New Blood

to Jewish Heart

This is a response to Jewish Heart's last entry. I first of all wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I think the more people that do this the more clearly others will see what DR is really all about. As you know Doug and his remnant moved from Tulsa to Syracuse a few years ago. I am an elder in the church they first attended here. They were with us for about six months before we came to realize what they were all about and we asked them to leave. They tried to infiltrate another church after that but we found out and warned the pastor. Since then they have been meeting in their own homes. Unfortunately my son and daughter-in-law have gotten caught up with them and their delusions.
Thats just a brief update from syracuse but I also wanted you to know our prayers are with you along with all the other victims of morningstar. I believe in the power of prayer as you do and I also greatly appreciate the efforts of our nonpraying men of action like Joeydonut who has done more research and gained more insight in the last month than I have in the past two years. Go get em Joey.
Anyway I will pray for this website that it will be a vehicle for the truth.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:05 AM   #118
JoeyDonuts

I've reposted excerpts from some of your stories on the blog.

I'll be reformatting it in the future to make it more like an informational resource and less like a blog.
Old 7th June 2010, 06:10 AM   #119
JewishHeart
New Blood

He answers to no body but himself.
Old 7th June 2010, 06:16 AM   #120
JewishHeart
New Blood

I pray that your daughter and her husband have no children! A good friend of mine (whose ex-husband moved to Syracuse with the MST group) and I were curious as to what happened. I think according to them that Doug was invited by your church and then he left when he said the church was in denial/deception or some ilk like that. Also Riggs can twist scriptures to fit his agenda like nobody else I have ever encountered. When at a Friday evening prayer and I questioned him about going to a single woman's home alone to "counsel" her and quoted the scripture that as believers we should avoid even the appearance of evil, he shot back with the scriptures about David and his soldiers eating the showbread in temple and it was not theirs to eat. Needless to say I never went back.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy