ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cults , doug riggs , mpd , satan

Old 7th June 2010, 06:26 AM   #121
JewishHeart
New Blood

I am doing well, I left in 1996 and moved out of that city and returned to Judaism, my spiritual roots. My older children are my greatest concern. Fortunately my youngest does not remember him or their father & is doing well.
JewishHeart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2010, 06:27 AM   #122
JewishHeart
New Blood

I can no longer find the StopDougRiggs website, have you taken it down?
JewishHeart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2010, 10:27 AM   #123
JustMe
New Blood

Originally Posted by JewishHeart View Post
I can no longer find the StopDougRiggs website, have you taken it down?
I found that it is still up. Thank God!!! So glad Joey had the courage to take this on.
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2010, 05:18 AM   #124
JewishHeart
New Blood

Website

I have tried a number of different search engines and different computers and still cannot find it. I have been to it before.
Old 14th June 2010, 05:32 AM   #125
JoeyDonuts
Frequencies Not Known To Normals

It's probably not getting enough total search traffic to put it to the top of that particular search string.

Just bookmark this link:

http://stopdougriggs.blogspot.com/
Old 29th June 2010, 11:26 AM   #126
JustMe
New Blood

Will there be any additions soon to the website? Curious. Thanks.
JustMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2010, 11:38 PM   #127
JoeyDonuts

I've been pretty busy lately, and the Riggs/SRA fan club has been silent for weeks. I'll try to get something up, but right now I'm more concerned with redesigning it so it's less like a blog. That'll require a free weekend, which I don't get much of.
Old 30th June 2010, 06:45 AM   #128
JustMe
New Blood

Hey Joey--just wondering. I have noticed things have been quiet. Summer probably has something to do with that for a lot of people. That man is actually becoming smaller and smaller in my mind which is a good thing as in the grand scheme of things he is a small person who I allowed to become too big in my life! Hang in there and enjoy your weekends when you get them
Old 21st July 2010, 02:24 AM   #129
JoeyDonuts

UPDATE: Well, I knew it would only be a matter of time until Mr. Riggs himself responded. He's done his homework and figured out my identity. It couldn't have been too hard. I'm not exactly anonymous on the internet.

As far as the site goes, I won't be doing much to it at all. I'm going back to school and won't have any time to update the site that much or correspond with Mr. Riggs, so I'm probably just going to leave up some links to the Skeptic's Dictionary entries on Satanic Ritual Abuse and Recovered Memory Syndrome which do a far better job of debunking nearly everything Riggs claims. The rest is his very literal interpretation of Scripture, which I'm not interested in refuting.

Here's the first email I got from him:

Originally Posted by Doug Riggs
Hi Grant,

I trust this finds you doing well in your work to "Stop Doug Riggs" This web site should give you all that you need to help you in your efforts.

Blessings, Doug Riggs Isa. 54:17
http://www.thebyteshow.com/DouglasRiggs.html
Note the reference to his "fan page" over at the Byte show. I already knew about this place. A lot of stuff over there.

My response:

Originally Posted by Me
Mr. Riggs,

I appreciate the information provided. ******* (name removed) has already provided me with many of those links. In postings to come, I will do my level best to explain to anyone reading the website why the claims of SRA and New World Order conspiracy are neither rational nor compelling, and therefore must be disregarded as fanciful delusions.

On that note, I feel I should clarify something with you. Were the scope of your activities limited to simply your own interpretation of scripture and dogmatic concerns with reference to how you choose to execute your self-appointed duties as a pastor, including the subjugation of the woman to the supposed authority of the man, the StopDougRiggs website would not exist. Quite frankly, I don't care about your Scriptural interpretations, as they are no more inherently valid or "correct" than an Episcopalian's or a Roman Catholic priest.

What I do take issue with is what I have determined to be a decades-long pattern of passing yourself off as a mental health professional, and your usage of recovered memory techniques. I believe you are guiding and implanting your delusions and fantasies into the minds of your flock when they are in a suggestive state. There have also been allegations of impropriety on your behalf, but circumstantial at best, so I won't be posting about that. What is most disturbing is the degree to which you fracture families by encouraging children to break away from their parents and drive a wedge between husbands and wives. You've left quite a long trail of broken and grieving families behind you, and you've been under the radar for far too long. The documentary did a great job of showing you for the dangerous egomaniac I believe you to be, which is why I've linked to it.

I'm going to continue using the resources at my disposal to systematically tear down the fanciful conspiracy theories you impress upon your followers, but in all honesty I don't expect my efforts to have any effect on you or your "inner circle." You are all so collectively far down the rabbit hole of your own self-important and self-reinforcing fantasies that you will reject any scientific or historically sourced refutation of your beliefs out of hand; or more likely inflate the idea of your world-spanning conspiracy to include the originators of the information provided.

You are welcome to continue sending me information, and in due time I will do my best to go through it, but I don't expect much in the way of compelling information. In the time I've spent so far going through the so-called "proof" of an SRA conspiracy, I have found very, very little evidence and an awful lot of anecdotes and revisionist history. If you are going to convince both me, a skeptic, and the readers of my blog, which I know include both current and former members of your cult, you're going to have to do a lot better than Russ Dizdar and Project Monarch.

One more thing. You and I are not on a first-name basis.

Regards,

Grant *********

P.S. - I'll leave you with this one, simple question. You have been "spreading the word" about an impending world-spanning Satanic conspiracy to install the Antichrist as the head of the New World Order for many years now, a conspiracy that has the social engineering, infiltration, and technical ability to sacrifice thousands of children without leaving a shred of forensic evidence, commit untold atrocities the world over, and pull the strings of world events from the shadows. I found your current address and detailed writings and current photograph using 10 minutes of open-source Googling with no special resources whatsoever.

Why are you still alive?

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 21st July 2010 at 02:25 AM.
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 02:31 AM   #130
JoeyDonuts

It didn't take long to get a response.

Dear Grant,
Still using my first name, like we're buddies.

Thanks for you reply. Just so you know, I have never claimed to be a mental health professional.

If one were to apply your criteria and measurement of the existence of SRA/DID or world conspiracy as it is defined in the Word of God (Psa. 2; 31:4,13,20, 33:10-11; 37:12-15; 41:7; 64:1-6; 83; 140:1-5; Prov. 19:21; 21:30; [in the life of Jesus Christ: Matt. 12:14; 26:4; Mk. 14:1; Lk. 22:2 and in the life of the Apostle Paul Acts 23: 12-13] Rev. 16:12-16; 19:19; Rev. 20:7-10 [the references in Revelation are global Satanic conspiracies]) to the existence of God, the creation of the universe, the new birth experience or any other faith-based conviction, it would certainly fail to meet your empirical standards of evidence (Heb. 11:1-3;6 w/ Matt. 18:16; 2Cor. 13:1).

I would add that for you, or anyone else for that matter, to presume that I have the power to determine ones' history and reality (which assumes that everyone I have worked with who are SRA/DID are either mentally incompetent or deceived) clearly demonstrates either your own ignorance and personal bias or arrogance of what these courageous saints have experienced. You or any of my critics do not qualify to speak for those who, by the grace and mercy of God, have recovered their lives from a living hell that they were living in years before they met me.
Bolding mine. Note the usage of the term "saints" in reference to his core group of SRA "survivors" that have been following him for years, even relocating across the country. I'm not sure exactly what he means by this, but this is the first instance I've ever seen a pastor using this specific term towards his "flock."

I will forward you the most recent article I wrote which defines the reliability of what you refer to as "recovered memories". This is a misnomer; traumatic memories that accompany trauma-based-mind-control are dissociated memories.

As for the rest of your charges against me and what I do, I rest every judgment by you or any other critic with the God that I serve (Isa. 54:17; 1Cor. 4:1-5; 2Cor. 6:1-10)

The reason I am still alive is simple: the length of my time on this earth as well as that of every believer in the Lord Jesus Christ is not determined by ones' enemies but by God Himself (Job. 14:5; Psa. 139:16; 2 Tim. 4:6-8). Furthermore, I have implicit trust in the God who protects those who love Him and know His Name (Psa. 91 w/ Prov. 18:10).

As for those who have personal issues with me or who claim some personal or emotional offence committed by me against them then why has no one attempted to reconcile these matters according to the Word of God? The few who have such complaints remain anonymous which does not conform to Biblical standards for reconciliation,fellowship or forgiveness ( Matt.5:23-24 w/ Eph. 4:31-32 w/ Col. 3:12-17 w/ 1John 1:5-7). Your web site "Stop Doug Riggs" does not even meet pagan standards of integrity in addressing the charges you and others have against me (Acts 25:16).

If you do chose to use this correspondence in future postings on your web site I request that you cite this email in its entirety and ALL the scripture references used in my response to you.

Maranatha,
Doug
And there you have it. Nearly every refutation a Scriptural reference. He's also linked me to some psychiatric studies, which when read in full, don't really support his claims as much as he believes.

My response:

Originally Posted by Me
Mr. Riggs,
You've cited the DSM-IV in reference to your "therapy." You may not advertise your "therapy" in the phone book, but you throw around clinical reference terms as if you were a mental health professional. That allows you to wrap your delusions in a sheen of imparted legitimacy.

There is no compelling psychological evidence for the phenomena of dissociated memories. The man who proposed the theory in the first place isn't even allowed to practice mental health anymore. I suppose "THEY" got to him. Is that how you would rationalize it?

There is greater evidence that extended "memory recovery" therapy sessions such as undertaken by Pazder in "Michelle Remembers" often results in the subject becoming utterly convinced of something that never happened.

As to your defiance of this intergenerational conspiracy of world-controlling Satanists, and their inability to silence you, how have you rationalized away that possibility? Do you believe that they are frightened of you? That your spiritual warfare offers you some kind of protection against these people?

The people who have shared their stories are not anonymous. You know who they are. You've told them they were infested with the "spirit of Jezebel" for daring to assert themselves as equals in their relationships, or not blindly following your every proclamation. But then again, this has never been about a desire to actually help anyone for you, has it? After all, the best snake oil salesmen in the world lure their prey by convincing them they have something seriously wrong with them they didn't even know about.

I don't know if any of the people you've treated came from a background of actual abuse. I'd consider it likely, but after a few sessions with you they're chasing ghosts and shadows rather than seeing the root of the problem which is earthly, human, and infinitely more sinister than your pretend cabal of Illuminati.

Do not expect much in the way of a back-and-forth between us. You're a Biblical literalist, and therefore any effort to dissuade you from your interpretation with scientific and empirical data will be dismissed out of hand. I have little to gain from engaging you directly. However, if even one of the people currently following you see my efforts and it causes them to shake the wool from their eyes just long enough to think for themselves, then it will all be worth it.

I repeat what I said about us not being on a first-name basis. My friends and family call me by my first name. You are neither.

-Grant **********
As you can see, I'm getting a little bit testy.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:18 PM   #131
JoeyDonuts

His latest responses:

My reply to your P.S. The attachment gives clear DOCUMENTATION that I am not alone in what you define as "delusions". If you eliminate the "prophetic" references there is a plethora of evidence we are heading for major catastrophic events in this nation as well as globally.
Doug
He then linked to a .pdf full of predictions for 2010. Guess who's on it? Our old buddy Lyndon LaRouche. A few Alex Jones regulars as well.

If I can figure out a public-sharing option for the PDF I'll share it.

ETA: Here it is. WARNINGS for 2010

And then this one:

You stated:
There is no compelling psychological evidence for the phenomena of dissociated memories.
Since you are not a mental health professional you are not qualified to even know what "compelling evidence" is.
Dr. Philip Coons M. D. is representative of hundreds of mental health professionals who are competant to correct your gross ignorance of this phenomenon.
Child Abuse And Multiple Personality Disorder
http://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/we...r/menu-id-846/
You also stated:
The man who proposed the theory in the first place isn't even allowed to practice mental health anymore.
Again, you are incorrect and demonstrate your ignorance in your above statement and therefore not a competent historian regarding the facts of the history of the recognition and treatment this disorder.
A History of Dissociative Identity Disorder
(formerly called Multiple Personality Disorder)
http://www.fortea.us/english/psiquiatria/history.htm
http://www.trauma-pages.com/a/vdhart-89.php
The links below will help educate you on the reality and specificity of what myself, and hundreds of other biblical counselors and mental health professionals have documented regarding the reality of both SRA/DID, trauma-based-mind-control and trauma related disorders. Before making any further disclosures of your ignorance I have provided you with these links assuming you have the integrity to pursue the truth!
Not that it matters to you but it is obvious you do not have a living relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ who came both bring salvation to you and the heal the brokenhearted Isa. 63:1-3. There are those who are praying for your salvation which can only come through Jesus Christ. Acts 4:12; John 14:6
Maranatha, Doug
What followed was a veritable cornucopia of links supporting his position. Or so he thinks. I'd post them here, but it'd look an awful lot like Spamming. Off hand, most of them appear to be of the anecdotal "Michelle Remembers" variety. Survivor stories and such.

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 21st July 2010 at 09:20 PM.
JoeyDonuts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2010, 09:32 PM   #132
JoeyDonuts

I should clarify - the psychiatrist to whom I was referring is the disgraced Dr. Bennett Braun, whose license to practice was suspended.

ETA: I have invited Mr. Riggs to this thread. I've advised him of the policies of this site towards link-bombing and "spamming." Also, to the other former members of his church - I'd ask you to use restraint and to not let your emotions run wild with your posting.

I'd like him to demonstrate that his therapy techniques are valid, that there is an intergenerational Satanic Ritual Abuse conspiracy to install the Antichrist as the head of the New World Order, and that what he's doing is actually helping his congregation.

Last edited by JoeyDonuts; 21st July 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 22nd July 2010, 07:31 AM   #133
Toke
Godless Socialist

You are showing remarkable restraint, but I can see it is taking it's toll on you

Toke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:23 AM   #134
JoeyDonuts

I need a second alter to deal with everything going on. So, I learned how to pull off instantaneous full-body mitosis.
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:43 PM   #135
JoeyDonuts

Riggs has responded to my invitation with the following:

"I am doing a great work and I cannot come down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and come down to you?" Nehemiah 6:3
Arrogance, evasion, and cowardice all noted in full, Mr. Riggs.

It's only a matter of time before those around you notice it as well.
Old 22nd July 2010, 03:53 PM   #136
JustMe
New Blood

Exactly! You should read his threads but he is too busy doing God's work to read yours. I agree with your sentiment! Arrogance, arrogance and more arrogance! Oh and deception also!!!
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:35 PM   #137
JustMe
New Blood

http://www.thebyteshow.com/DouglasRiggs.html
Interesting that in his so called "bio" they leave out a LOT of truth. Like how about he was married before and he has been quite estranged from his own children. It seems they like to polish things up quite a bit to keep up the holier than thou facade. How about they sadly made mistakes "We have had many battles and victories; and sadly, we have sinned against our Lord and His Body due to our pride and immaturity. We praise Him for His mercy and grace, as well as His commitment to His people’s restoration and maturity in Christ. We trust Him daily to complete that which He began in His sovereign grace and mercy." This is their excerpt from the byte show. If you were prideful and immature why have you not asked forgiveness from those that have been under your influence in YOUR church that no longer follow YOU? Why is he so defensive unless you believe in HIS methods? Because a small handful of people are still with him and STILL in need of his counseling after HOW MANY YEARS??? He has said many a time to people, are you aware of how many people I have worked with? What is this "work" anyway? Define your "counseling" as you have used that word all the time? Sounds like a good reference to claiming mental health counseling. He may say it is spiritual and I agree but not HOLY!!! How many people from YOUR church would kind of chuckle as to what the part/alter personality of the week you had to go and find b/c if so and so has it so does the rest of you (mostly women by the way)? Why were some (women mostly) told to find a spirit in them and then come and tell him about it or maybe they couldn't have fellowship? Sounds like a set up of fear and manipulation; something Jesus Christ WOULD NEVER DO!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy