ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 13th October 2020, 06:42 AM   #2481
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

WH Physician: Donald Trump Now Testing Negative for Coronavirus https://breitbart.com/politics/2020/...r-coronavirus/ via @BreitbartNews

A White House physician on Monday announced that President Donald Trump had tested negative for coronavirus on consecutive days.
breitbart.com
Which, of course, means that Trump tested PCR positive 3 days ago else they would have said this yesterday.
Old 13th October 2020, 06:52 AM   #2482
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Which, of course, means that Trump tested PCR positive 3 days ago else they would have said this yesterday.
Reading between lines like that? It is fitting methods used to divine anything sensible from "official" statements from various dictatorships are used here.

I think there should be Trumpology, like USA-practiced Kremlinology during cold war times.
Old 13th October 2020, 08:36 AM   #2483
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
That is correct, and I have read from Wharton MBA graduates that the undergraduate course is just as much respected. The most that can be said is that there is no evidence of trump actually doing well.
There is, however, evidence of a professor of his calling him "the dumbest ing student I ever had", which kinda sorta points to the opposite of doing well.
Old 13th October 2020, 08:44 AM   #2484
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Reading between lines like that? It is fitting methods used to divine anything sensible from "official" statements from various dictatorships are used here.

I think there should be Trumpology, like USA-practiced Kremlinology during cold war times.
The Trump administration has been consistent leaving out anything negative. It's just like the question of when did Trump last test negative after being diagnosed with Covid-19. No answers. Reference to privacy, etc. But hey, he's negative for the last 2 consecutive days.

It doesn't take any divine revelation.
Old 13th October 2020, 10:00 AM   #2485
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Given the fact that he was dancing to the Village People at his latest rally, I wonder if he's insisting on remaining on dexamethasone.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 10:53 AM   #2486
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
That is correct, and I have read from Wharton MBA graduates that the undergraduate course is just as much respected. The most that can be said is that there is no evidence of trump actually doing well.

It should be noted that 50+ years ago, U of Penn wasn't nearly as exclusive as it is today. Trump's daddy could easily have tipped the scale with a few bucks.
Quote:
At the same time, Wharton was not as competitive in 1966 as it is today. Nolan told the Post that more than half of all applicants were accepted — and that rate was even higher for transfer students like Trump.
https://www.salon.com/2019/07/09/for...ery-difficult/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.184c9b7041d8

Also,
Quote:
"He called me and said, 'You remember my brother Donald?' Which I didn't," Nolan, 81, said in an interview with The Washington Post. "He said, 'He's at Fordham and he would like to transfer to Wharton. Will you interview him?' I was happy to do that."

Soon, Donald Trump arrived at Penn for the interview, accompanied by his father, Fred Trump Sr., who sought to "ingratiate" himself, Nolan said.
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ja...-20190708.html

Also:
Quote:
Why is everything about Trump’s time at Wharton shrouded in secrecy? We set out to uncover the truth.
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...-pennsylvania/

Last edited by Bob001; 13th October 2020 at 11:00 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 10:56 AM   #2487
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Sorta moving in the direction of the guy who wears the Napoleon hat....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 11:27 AM   #2488
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by marting View Post
The Trump administration has been consistent leaving out anything negative. It's just like the question of when did Trump last test negative after being diagnosed with Covid-19. No answers.
I don't understand that. He declared that he had COVID19 in the early hours of Friday morning. Why didn't they just say "he tested negative on Wednesday morning". It would probably be a lie - I think Trump knew he had COVID19 long enough before the debate to know not to turn up in time to be tested - but it's not like the administration has previously had any problem with lying.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 11:29 AM   #2489
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
I wondered if it would be that video
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 12:34 PM   #2490
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it would be the stable genius one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LT...l=RandyRainbow
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 12:41 PM   #2491
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Given the fact that he was dancing to the Village People at his latest rally, I wonder if he's insisting on remaining on dexamethasone.
I can't remember him ever previously talking about kissing guys or dancing to the Village People. Is that a known side effect of Dexamethasone?

Are we living in some black mirror episode where a conservative president discovers the cure for a worldwide plague but then learns it turns you gay?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 01:26 PM   #2492
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I can't remember him ever previously talking about kissing guys or dancing to the Village People. Is that a known side effect of Dexamethasone?

I did a youtube search on his dance earlier and first found videos that weren't from Monday. It seems to have been a regular feature of his current year show. He is the master troll after all.
Old 13th October 2020, 01:42 PM   #2493
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
There is, however, evidence of a professor of his calling him "the dumbest ing student I ever had", which kinda sorta points to the opposite of doing well.
His sister, Maryanne, also said she did his homework for him. No wonder Trump had Michael Cohen send letters to his high schools, colleges, and the College Board (creator of the SAT) threatening them with lawsuits and jail time if they ever released his academic records.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 01:58 PM   #2494
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I wondered if it would be that video
Something compelled me to do that. Probably my obvious sense of humour.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 02:19 PM   #2495
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Well, he does quote a Jimi Hendrix line a lot... "'S'cuse me! S'cuse me! S'cuse me!"
Old 13th October 2020, 03:14 PM   #2496
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
I don't understand that. He declared that he had COVID19 in the early hours of Friday morning. Why didn't they just say "he tested negative on Wednesday morning". It would probably be a lie - I think Trump knew he had COVID19 long enough before the debate to know not to turn up in time to be tested - but it's not like the administration has previously had any problem with lying.
It's really quite simple. The people around him were supposedly tested with a rapid antigen test daily to protect DJT. I doubt DJT was. And DJT almost never wore a mask. Somewhere he picked it up. The White House declined the CDC's offer to contact trace. That's rather telling itself. Likely he was only tested in the past after someone he had come in contact with tested positive. I'd bet long odds that he hadn't been tested for weeks prior to the test after Hope Hicks came down with it.
Old 14th October 2020, 09:39 AM   #2497
Marcus
Illuminator

He's looking like his usual obnoxious self, I'm really doubting that he has a bad case which is being covered up. Perhaps his doctors gave the all clear sooner than they should have, that seems possible.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 10:20 AM   #2498
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post

That's the weird thing about Trump's lies - like his complete fumbling of the softball "Denounce White Supremacy" issue at the debate. It seems like the only time he won't lie is exactly when you'd expect him to give the quick easy lying answer. It's utterly bizarre.
Old 14th October 2020, 10:28 AM   #2499
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Indeed, it is very interesting. He lies all the time, but there are certain circumstances where he does not want to and won't, even though it would cost him nothing (like all other lies).

One understandable case is when it would make him look foolish or weak.

But other cases aren't clear at all.
Old 14th October 2020, 01:16 PM   #2500
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Christie's out of the hospital.

Giuliani isn't bothering with CDC recommended quarantine because his tests are negative. That's the test which has a lot of false negatives. Instead he held a campaign event which threatens to be another super spreader event.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 01:44 PM   #2501
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like one more trump tested positive...

Unfortunately it was Barron trump, rather than one of the older Trump spawn.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7397145/b...ronavirus/amp/

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 14th October 2020 at 01:58 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 01:48 PM   #2502
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Looks like one more trump tested positive...

Unfortunately it was Barton trump, rather than one of the older Trump spawn.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7397145/b...ronavirus/amp/

A quote from Melania:

“A balanced diet, fresh air, and vitamins really are vital to keep our bodies healthy,” she said. “For your complete well-being, compassion and humility are just as important in keeping our minds strong.”

Considering who her husband is, I find that quite some comment.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 01:59 PM   #2503
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
A quote from Melania:

“A balanced diet, fresh air, and vitamins really are vital to keep our bodies healthy,” she said. “For your complete well-being, compassion and humility are just as important in keeping our minds strong.”

Did she say that out loud in public, or did a tame media flunky write it for her.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 03:26 PM   #2504
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A quote from Melania:

I notice she didn't mention exercise!

Too bad about Barron.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:56 PM   #2505
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
He's looking like his usual obnoxious self, I'm really doubting that he has a bad case which is being covered up.
I said a couple of weeks back that he had a mild dose and it was a panic attack that caused the lack of oxygen, and I'm completely convinced of that now.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:57 PM   #2506
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The kid is the only one in that family I care anything about. Hope he's gonna be OK.
Old 14th October 2020, 04:19 PM   #2507
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I said a couple of weeks back that he had a mild dose and it was a panic attack that caused the lack of oxygen, and I'm completely convinced of that now.
He probably didn't need a trip to the hospital either, they just did that because he is POTUS. It's why in this case I didn't think that hospitalization meant he had a severe ilness.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 04:52 PM   #2508
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

A quote from Melania:

Almost every word or phrase here should be in scare quotes.
Old 14th October 2020, 06:58 PM   #2509
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The kid is the only one in that family I care anything about. Hope he's gonna be OK.
For what it's worth, the article referenced earlier claims he was largely asymptomatic. (Granted, Covid19 can have unexpected results)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 07:24 PM   #2510
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
For what it's worth, the article referenced earlier claims he was largely asymptomatic. (Granted, Covid19 can have unexpected results)

Of course, asymptomatic people can spread it, but I think the poor guy is probably too insulated for that to be much of a concern.

I bet Trump bristles (I love that word to describe his attribute) every time they're in public because Barron is so much taller than him now. He's petty enough to be that way. Has he said "He's taller than me now, but that's OK."? Every time he says "But that's OK", that means it's not OK.
Old 15th October 2020, 02:59 AM   #2511
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Melania Trump
@FLOTUS

US government account
To all who have reached out - thank you. Here is my personal experience with COVID-19 :
First Lady Melania Trump: “My personal experience with COVID-19.” | The White House
I am happy to report that I have tested negative and hope to resume my duties as soon as I can. Along with this good news, I want people to know that I understand just how fortunate my family is to...
whitehouse.gov
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 05:08 AM   #2512
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have no antipathy to Tiffany.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:54 AM   #2513
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I have no antipathy to Tiffany.
While Tiffany may not be as deep in the Trump swamp as Ivanka/Jr/Eric, she has campaigned on behalf of Stubby Mcbonespurs, including speaking at the republican convention. So she is trying to get a racist con artist re-elected. Plus she is in her mid 20s, more than old enough to make decisions like who to support/vote for.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th October 2020, 11:36 AM   #2514
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hope Hicks is back and traveling with the President today, her first public appearance since her Covid-19 diagnosis and not wearing a mask. In fact none of those on his airport trip today have a mask.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 12:03 PM   #2515
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Trump Retweeted

Melania Trump
@FLOTUS

US government account
To all who have reached out - thank you. Here is my personal experience with COVID-19 :
First Lady Melania Trump: “My personal experience with COVID-19.” | The White House
I am happy to report that I have tested negative and hope to resume my duties as soon as I can. Along with this good news, I want people to know that I understand just how fortunate my family is to...
whitehouse.gov
US government account
Hah! I laugh at Covid. I say, I don't look on you, Covid!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 12:04 PM   #2516
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Hope Hicks is back and traveling with the President today, her first public appearance since her Covid-19 diagnosis and not wearing a mask. In fact none of those on his airport trip today have a mask.

They're all immune! Duh!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:05 PM   #2517
erlando
Graduate Poster

Of course they don't. They're *immune*, remember?

ETA: "Sniped" by a first-on-a-page-I-didn't-read-yet post

Last edited by erlando; 15th October 2020 at 11:06 PM.
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 12:59 AM   #2518
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm thinking that he probably didn't have it at all.

Given what has happened, I'm thinking that he had a false positive test.

Then, being a germophobe, he had an anxiety/panic attack.

I can't really venture a guess towards the medication being prescribed because of his own demands, or because the Doctors would throw everything at a POTUS who may have COVID-19...

... but I am sure that any Doctor that revealed that he'd never had it, would be struck off with extreme prejudice.
Old 21st October 2020, 01:19 AM   #2519
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

I can't really venture a guess towards the medication being prescribed because of his own demands, or because the Doctors would throw everything at a POTUS who may have COVID-19...

... but I am sure that any Doctor that revealed that he'd never had it, would be struck off with extreme prejudice.
Which would just skyrocket his probability of becoming the poster boy for "reinfection".
If that's a thing with C19. Is it a thing? I've scanned headlines of IIRC three cases (various countries) but don't know about follow-up or confirmation.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 02:00 AM   #2520
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

That's just conspiracy theory thinking. He had covid.

In the debate he looked sick. A bunch of people around him got covid.

He would not have gone to the hospital if he didn't have to. He would view that as weak. He looked scared.

Nobody has come forward about a fake illness. Trump does not have a good history of stopping leaks.

He was clearly out of breath in his Mussolini moment. He acted jacked up on steroids.

If Trump faked this, it was his greatest accomplishment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics