ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th October 2020, 02:27 PM   #1
CORed
Philosopher

Translation of Trumpisms

I'l give a couple of examples

When Trump says, "Lots of people are saying" he means "I'm totally making this up, but in two hours Fox News will be repeating it and supporting it, and by this time tomorrow all the members of my cult will believe it."

When Trump says "Nobody knew" it means, "I didn't know". There are so many things that nobody knows.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:10 PM   #2
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Whenever he starts a sentence with "Sir" as in (someone said to him) "Sir,..." whatever follows never happened.

When he says "Can I be honest?" or says "Honestly," whatever follows is a lie. Oh, hell...let's just cut this short. Practically everything he says is a lie.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th October 2020 at 05:14 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:20 PM   #3
Elagabalus
Philosopher

A comment on Youtube suggested that when he begins the "accordion jazz hands" he is also not being completely forthright.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:28 PM   #4
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Somehow "two weeks" translates to "never, if I have anything to say about it".
Go figure.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:34 PM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"You don't know that" means 'trust my words, not your lying eyes'
Old 16th October 2020, 07:37 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"Enemy of the People" means someone who doesn't praise Trump.
Old 16th October 2020, 07:54 PM   #7
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
...Oh, hell...let's just cut this short. Practically everything he says is a lie.
To borrow a description once applied to a sports team owner:
Quote:
Q. How can you tell when trump is lying?
A. When his lips are moving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thats better.jpg (65.0 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:54 PM   #8
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

When he uses "they" in a sentence, the pronoun can be read at least 4 different ways.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 12:18 AM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"I know that, you know that." = he just pulled it out of his arse.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 01:24 AM   #10
dann
Penultimate Amazing

"You wouldn't believe it" = You shouldn't believe it
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 01:37 AM   #11
erlando
Graduate Poster

"Believe me" = "I'm lying so hard my pants are exhibiting new states of matter"
Old 17th October 2020, 01:42 AM   #12
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

"Deep State" = "Rule of Law"

(originally by David Frum)
Old 17th October 2020, 03:52 AM   #13
slyjoe
Master Poster

"...the likes of which the world has never seen." = "Not gonna happen", or "Didn't happen."
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 05:33 AM   #14
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

"Fake news!" = "They got me."
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 05:40 AM   #15
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

"Nobody knows this!" = Everybody knows this but the President of the United States just learned about it.
Old 17th October 2020, 05:47 AM   #16
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

"They are doing {bad thing}" = "I am doing {bad thing}"
Old 17th October 2020, 07:33 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

We will be seeing the details in two weeks.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 08:02 AM   #18
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

"Lock her up!" = "Focus on someone else for a while as opposed to my numerous illegalities."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 08:47 AM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They couldn't believe how smart I am, they said, "Sir, how do you know so much about [insert some scientific topic]" = they explained it to him using kindergarten terminology and it made him feel smart. No one wanted to tell him how stupid he is.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 09:14 AM   #20
slyjoe
Master Poster

Similar to:

Quote:
“I’m a senior,” the 74-year-old said. “I know you don’t know that. Nobody knows that. Maybe you don’t have to tell them, but I’m a senior.”
He means he's a senior, I guess.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 10:50 AM   #21
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"We'll see what happens." = "I have no intention of doing anything regarding this issue."
Old 17th October 2020, 11:06 AM   #22
Mojo
Mostly harmless

What does covfefe mean?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 11:08 AM   #23
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
"They are doing {bad thing}" = "I am doing {bad thing}"

This.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 11:08 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"I am very rich" = I'm desperate for cash.
Old 17th October 2020, 12:30 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
"I am very rich" = I'm desperate for cash.
Putin just told me he topped up my Saudi bank account a bit.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 12:34 PM   #26
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

"X is a disaster" = "I caused and/or love it that X is a disaster"

Eta: "Crooked/Sleepy etc preceeding a name = "my intellectual and ethical superior"

Last edited by Thermal; 17th October 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 01:59 PM   #27
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
"X is a disaster" = "I caused and/or love it that X is a disaster"
"my intellectual and ethical superior"

That is a set that includes many nines of the world's population.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 05:41 PM   #28
Venom
Illuminator

"suburban lifestyle dream"

Overwhelmingly white, clean-cut middle class neighborhood without a minority, especially black, within a 10 mile radius.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2020, 05:59 PM   #29
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
"suburban lifestyle dream"

Overwhelmingly white, clean-cut middle class neighborhood without a minority, especially black, within a 10 mile radius.
Mexicans are OK for doing the lawn work and nanny duties, though...
Old 21st October 2020, 11:49 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Mexicans are OK for doing the lawn work and nanny duties, though...
And housekeeping. Don't forget housekeeping. But maybe that's only Venezuelans like Alicia Machado, the former Miss Universe, whom he disparagingly called "Miss Housekeeping".
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:27 AM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"X has committed crime Y!"

=

I have committed crime Y.
Old 22nd October 2020, 05:16 AM   #32
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
"X is a disaster" =

= "I want you to hate X but I don't want you to ask for an explanation of why you should hate X, because there isn't one."

Alternatively, "X is a disaster = X is something Obama did!"
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We're turning the corner = the number of cases and hospitalization are going up

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics