ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags court cases , donald trump , Michael Flynn , perjury cases , Robert Mueller , William Barr

Old 14th October 2020, 02:51 AM   #1161
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
I think I posted it already but the documents are in here

https://www.scribd.com/document/4773...o-Sept-24-2020
They don't say what you are claiming.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 03:31 AM   #1162
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No, the lack of evidence is the clearest possible sign that there is a massive Deep State conspiracy to cover up the greatest political crime in the history of the US

Conversely, the abundance of evidence for President Trump's wrongdoings is a clear indication of his fundamental honesty.
your ability to look into the mind of a Trump defender worries me - you know what they say about staring into the Abyss...

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 14th October 2020 at 04:16 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 09:05 AM   #1163
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
your ability to look into the mind of a Trump defender worries me - you know what they say about staring into the Abyss...
If something seems truthy to you, it's not because it's showing you the truth, but because it's showing you what you want.

You're the audience for Don's post. It's your mind he's looking into as he crafts his message.

Anyway, how would you know Don's vision of a Trump supporter's mind is accurate, unless you've had the same vision yourself?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 09:55 AM   #1164
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If something seems truthy to you, it's not because it's showing you the truth, but because it's showing you what you want.

You're the audience for Don's post. It's your mind he's looking into as he crafts his message.

Anyway, how would you know Don's vision of a Trump supporter's mind is accurate, unless you've had the same vision yourself?
I take my vision of a Trump Supporter's mind from their actions.

Don provides the explanation for what I see them doing.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:11 AM   #1165
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I take my vision of a Trump Supporter's mind from their actions.

Don provides the explanation for what I see them doing.
An explanation. How do you know it's the explanation?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 10:25 AM   #1166
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

An explanation. How do you know it's the explanation?
you are free to provide an alternative one.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:29 AM   #1167
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's not an answer.

And it's not a justification for your position either. Prior to the discovery of nuclear fusion, the power source for the sun was a mystery. We knew it couldn't be ordinary combustion, and it couldn't be gravitational heating. Every known source of energy did not suffice. Had someone proposed that it was powered by demons, would you have accepted that as an explanation because nobody else had an alternative? The lack of a offered alternative doesn't validate an explanation.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 10:39 AM   #1168
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's not an answer.

And it's not a justification for your position either. Prior to the discovery of nuclear fusion, the power source for the sun was a mystery. We knew it couldn't be ordinary combustion, and it couldn't be gravitational heating. Every known source of energy did not suffice. Had someone proposed that it was powered by demons, would you have accepted that as an explanation because nobody else had an alternative? The lack of a offered alternative doesn't validate an explanation.
all we can ever hope for is a working explanation until a better one comes along.

Hence you are welcome to provide one.

Otherwise I will have to make do with the serviceable one Don has provided.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:48 AM   #1169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So much for having some great insight into the minds of others.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:49 AM   #1170
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So much for having some great insight into the minds of others.
so much for having an inkling about science.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:12 AM   #1171
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

all we can ever hope for is a working explanation until a better one comes along.
Once you can see into the heart of the sun and see how it actually works, there is no better explanation than what is actually seen. Hoping for a better explanation at that point is a waste of time.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:16 AM   #1172
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Hence you are welcome to provide one.

Otherwise I will have to make do with the serviceable one Don has provided.
No, you don't have to, you want to. A wrong answer isn't better than no answer. It's actually OK to simply withhold judgment when you don't know.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:17 AM   #1173
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Once you can see into the heart of the sun and see how it actually works, there is no better explanation than what is actually seen. Hoping for a better explanation at that point is a waste of time.
and yet, you refuse to provide a better explanation.
So I have to assume that Don's explanation is as good as it gets.

You are not making any points by repeating the fact that you don't have anything better to offer.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:25 AM   #1174
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

so much for having an inkling about science.
Heh. So much for having an inkling about how analogies work. The Don wasn't making a scientific claim. He was making a claim about having some accurate insight into the minds of others. A claim which you affirmed.

My question was, how can you affirm The Don's claim, without having the same insight yourself?

Now your answer seems to be that you don't have the insight, and can't affirm the claim. You don't know if it's true; it's just the best working claim you can come up with while you hope for a better one. The Don's explanation, and your acceptance of it, necessarily says more about your own mindsets than about the mindsets of the people it purports to describe.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, in principle. Even scientists approach new observations from a particular paradigm or worldview. That paradigm gets changed as the new observations get their explanations. But this isn't science. It's politics.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:37 AM   #1175
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

and yet, you refuse to provide a better explanation.
So I have to assume that Don's explanation is as good as it gets.
LOL. You were assuming that before anyone else even weighed in.

Quote:
You are not making any points by repeating the fact that you don't have anything better to offer.
I haven't claimed that, let alone repeated it.

I do not claim to have any special insight into the minds of people other than myself (and even then...). I do not claim to know whether the Don's explanation is accurate. I assume that there are probably as many explanations as there are Trump supporters, but I have no way of proving it. I don't think the Don has any way of proving that his explanation is accurate for even a single Trump supporter. I don't think you have any way of proving that, either.

How about a compromise: You and I both agree that neither of us knows what's really going on in the minds of Trump supporters. Fair?
Old 15th October 2020, 12:20 PM   #1176
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nope.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:23 PM   #1177
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nope.
How do you know what's really going on in the minds of Trump supporters, then?
Old 15th October 2020, 01:09 PM   #1178
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

According to you, no one is allowed to have any theory about the sun unless they already know everything about it.
Therefore you claim that I can't have a theory about Trump supporters unless I can literally read their minds.

You realize that you make no sense, right?
Old 15th October 2020, 01:26 PM   #1179
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

According to you, no one is allowed to have any theory about the sun unless they already know everything about it.
Therefore you claim that I can't have a theory about Trump supporters unless I can literally read their minds.

You realize that you make no sense, right?
I realize it so well that I'm not saying it.

I understood you as saying that the Don had an accurate explanation of someone's mental state. For that, some form of mind-reading is necessary. Both on Don's part, and on yours.

It seems like you're actually saying that you think the Don has a plausible theory of someone's mental state. That's totally different. No mind-reading is necessary for that.
Old 15th October 2020, 01:29 PM   #1180
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nothing I have seen from undeterred Trump supporters provides evidence that the theory is inaccurate.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:25 PM   #1181
wareyin
Philosopher

I realize it so well that I'm not saying it.

I understood you as saying that the Don had an accurate explanation of someone's mental state. For that, some form of mind-reading is necessary. Both on Don's part, and on yours.

It seems like you're actually saying that you think the Don has a plausible theory of someone's mental state. That's totally different. No mind-reading is necessary for that.
You and Zig seem extremely upset that a pretty accurate Trumpanzee impression was described as looking into the brain of a Trumpanzee. Was the impression inacurate? If so, how? Or is this one of those "I object because you described me too well!" scenes?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 10:48 PM   #1182
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Because responses can be oh so predictable?
Old 17th October 2020, 12:28 AM   #1183
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
You and Zig seem extremely upset that a pretty accurate Trumpanzee impression was described as looking into the brain of a Trumpanzee. Was the impression inacurate? If so, how? Or is this one of those "I object because you described me too well!" scenes?
How does your interpretation handle the fact that I'm not actually upset?
Old 17th October 2020, 05:07 AM   #1184
wareyin
Philosopher

How does your interpretation handle the fact that I'm not actually upset?
Acting upset is indistinguishable from being upset when it's words on a screen.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 10:20 PM   #1185
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Acting upset is indistinguishable from being upset when it's words on a screen.
You have a strange definition of "upset".
Old 18th October 2020, 04:10 AM   #1186
wareyin
Philosopher

You have a strange definition of "upset".
Ok, sure.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics