ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 26th March 2020, 02:25 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This Trump supporter is not saying much

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/chr...lemHY0.twitter

Man, evolution on the fast track is a beautiful thing to see...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:33 PM   #42
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Instapundit links to a bunch of stuff, including the article the prestige posted earlier. And they have comments on everything.

The Theology Online Forums are not for the weak hearted. It is similar to this place in a lot of ways, but kind of in a mirror image sort of way. Many of these people have the opposite of TDS.

This forum is great. They have a mix, including those who support Trump's recent actions. They also have a "corona virus science" thread that is intended to be used strictly for discussion of the scientific aspects of the pandemic.

Maybe check Victor Davis Hanson and/or Scott Adams, but I'm not sure what they're up to these days.

I see Hanson on Fox News frequently. I enjoyed when he demonstrated he has no idea what inductive and deductive reasoning are. I laughed.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:39 PM   #43
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I enjoyed when he demonstrated he has no idea what inductive and deductive reasoning are. I laughed.
???
Old 26th March 2020, 02:43 PM   #44
Cabbage
Banned

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
???

It was several months if not a year or more ago, on Laura Ingraham, I believe. I'm not gonna hunt down a clip, but he was claiming something along the lines that liberals are flawed because they use deductive reasoning. He claimed (paraphrasing) that inductive reasoning was when you base your position on the facts while in deductive reasoning you twist the facts to fit your position. Something like that, anyway.

Yeah, total nonsense, and anyone who listens to that garbage should be embarrassed.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:52 PM   #45
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Retired law professor and regular socio-political blogger Ann Althouse examines the same question with her readers, here:

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2020/0...astically.html

You might like her more "neutral" approach to all things Trump.

Anyway, that's the closest thing I can offer, to what you're asking for. I don't follow any right wing media anyway (never had any use for Fox, dropped NRO years ago, Breitbart leaves me cold, I only read about two "conservative" blogs these days).
At first I thought this was non-responsive, but I get the connection to what I was asking. It goes to "why" people are praising Trump.

I had been looking more for "how", I suppose. What were they saying that justified giving Trump credit for a great performance. However, what the link is saying is basically that the people praising him aren't basing it on what he is actually doing.

Maybe "performance" is indeed the right word.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:56 PM   #46
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The federalist link was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

I also actually caught a few minutes of Dennis Praeger today. First time I've been in a car on a weekday since last Monday. He was talking about the "idiocy" of shutting down Chicago beaches.

From what I can tell, the central theme of Trump's supporters is denialism. They don't blame him for inaction, because they don't think action was all that important. Indeed, most of them would have preferred more inaction.

And, right now, that's a tenable position. Things are actually tolerable, for the most part. Yes, there are sad stories, but they are mostly happening to other people. The disease is not so pervasive that it has touched everyone's lives, whereas the cure, i.e. the economic fallout, has. For people who respond mostly to "how does this affect me?", Trump's inaction didn't harm them...….yet.

I predict it. will, but that remains to be seen.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:30 PM   #47
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Looks like Trump did make USA first....in confirmed cases of Covid-19. And right now, the regime is in a presser talking about getting people back to work....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 06:53 PM   #48
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The federalist link was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

I also actually caught a few minutes of Dennis Praeger today. First time I've been in a car on a weekday since last Monday. He was talking about the "idiocy" of shutting down Chicago beaches.

From what I can tell, the central theme of Trump's supporters is denialism. They don't blame him for inaction, because they don't think action was all that important. Indeed, most of them would have preferred more inaction.

And, right now, that's a tenable position. Things are actually tolerable, for the most part. Yes, there are sad stories, but they are mostly happening to other people. The disease is not so pervasive that it has touched everyone's lives, whereas the cure, i.e. the economic fallout, has. For people who respond mostly to "how does this affect me?", Trump's inaction didn't harm them...….yet.
My wife is in isolation. She has not been tested, but it is presumptive.

I don't blame Trump, I blame the idiots who work at her place of business and came in even though they were sick. Then again, I realize they need to go to work because they need money.

To the extent you know me (I've only been here for 15 years or whatever it is), you know someone affected.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:25 PM   #49
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I wonder how much of the high approval rating is just backlash against the absurd "iT'S RaCiSt tO SaY It cAmE FrOm cHiNa!" meme.
Let's not pretend here. We know it's all about dog whistle messaging about foreigners being to blame, like much of his other dog whistles.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:28 PM   #50
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
One data point.

I get emails from a Curio and Relic firearm vendor periodically as new items become available.

on Mar 17, the email included a line complaining that the usual gun shows were closed because of "Coronavirus hysteria" that he dismissed as "mass influenza infection that 99.999% of the world will survive" and things will return to normal soon.

Received another email for new items
Mar 24th, describes it as a "current health crisis" and no snarky comments.

What a difference a week makes.

There's also been a run on ammo because that's all that the gun community knows how to do apparently. Can't get any of the usual offerings unless you're willing to pay way too much for it. So a few right wingers seem to be nervous about it, in their own way.
Lol. Run on ammo, suddenly it's a crises.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 09:01 PM   #51
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
My wife is in isolation. She has not been tested, but it is presumptive.

I don't blame Trump, I blame the idiots who work at her place of business and came in even though they were sick. Then again, I realize they need to go to work because they need money.

To the extent you know me (I've only been here for 15 years or whatever it is), you know someone affected.
Sorry to hear that.

As time goes on, there will be more and more people whose lives this is going to touch, and I wonder how strong the denialism can be. How long will they be able to pretend it's just the flu?

Good luck.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:14 PM   #52
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

There was an evangelist pastor that denied the seriousness of covid-19 that just died. Served him right. I wonder how many others will die because of that pastor's preaching.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 11:49 PM   #53
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
"Hujan"? Is that near "Wuhan"?
It's what the Trump supporters are calling the virus - The Hujan Tragedy!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 12:22 AM   #54
Lothian
should be banned

I support you all fighting this horrible American virus
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 01:12 AM   #55
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

The couple people I see on FB that I know are Trump supporters are talking about, without a trace of irony, how it's so bad that China screwed up the preparations, lied about it, and allowed it to spread across the country.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:04 AM   #56
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
There was an evangelist pastor that denied the seriousness of covid-19 that just died. Served him right. I wonder how many others will die because of that pastor's preaching.
But you don't understand. It was his time, and this was God's way of taking him to Heaven. Just as it is their time for all others who die of this. God works in mysterious ways. The believers rationalize it this way.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:14 AM   #57
dann
Penultimate Amazing

AP Archive, March 26, 2020: Trump supporters back his stance on virus outbreak
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:16 AM   #58
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm legit afraid they've already set the groundwork for being okay with that. They've already written off 1-3% of the population as acceptable losses.
Thanks Obama.
Old 27th March 2020, 07:19 AM   #59
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
But you don't understand. It was his time, and this was God's way of taking him to Heaven. Just as it is their time for all others who die of this. God works in mysterious ways. The believers rationalize it this way.

There's a whole thread about that in Religion and Philosphy: Coronavirus and faith.
However, I think you should distinguish between believers and fundamentalists. The majority of believers seem to be pretty sensible about this.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:21 AM   #60
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm legit afraid they've already set the groundwork for being okay with that. They've already written off 1-3% of the population as acceptable losses.

It will come as a surprise to some of them that they belong to the 1-3%.
Old 27th March 2020, 07:23 AM   #61
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Sadly, I think the death rate in the USA will be higher than of other nations because we don't have enough respirators to treat the many that will become infected. I believe we are already there even though the official numbers don't say so because I don't trust those numbers as I believe the Trump regime will do whatever it can to suppress the data.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 27th March 2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 27th March 2020, 07:31 AM   #62
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post

I was about to post a similar link. The USA hasn't quite earned the right to have it named after the country yet. It will probably take a couple of weeks before America overtakes contestants like Italy or Spain, but with Trump's Easter celebrations coming up, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

Last edited by dann; 27th March 2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 27th March 2020, 07:40 AM   #63
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Sadly, I think the death rate in the USA will be higher than of other nations because we don't have enough respirators to treat the many that will become infected. I believe we are already there even though the official numbers don't say so because I don't trust those numbers as I believe the Trump regime will do whatever it can to suppress the data.
There's certainly plenty of scope to under-count Covid-19 victims given that most of the victims will be older people with underlying health conditions. If Covid-19 is chronically under-diagnosed then it's likely that there are a lot of older people dying without a diagnosis.

Whether this is deliberate, an unfortunate accident or a combination of the two is open for debate.

One thing which is causing me to scratch my head for all nations is the number of cases. The expectation is that infection rates will be well over 50% and yet the number of reported cases globally is in the hundreds of thousands and increasing by tens of thousands.

Are these numbers woefully inaccurate by orders of magnitude ? Have the epidemiologists got the models wrong by orders of magnitude ? Are we just at the beginning of a long and grisly haul ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:44 AM   #64
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Let's not pretend here.
Agreed!
Quote:
We know it's all about dog whistle messaging about foreigners being to blame, like much of his other dog whistles.
You lost me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 08:12 AM   #65
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Are these numbers woefully inaccurate by orders of magnitude ? Have the epidemiologists got the models wrong by orders of magnitude ? Are we just at the beginning of a long and grisly haul ?
I think it's the last. This will cycle up and down for the next couple years, I believe.
Old 27th March 2020, 08:17 AM   #66
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
There's certainly plenty of scope to under-count Covid-19 victims given that most of the victims will be older people with underlying health conditions. If Covid-19 is chronically under-diagnosed then it's likely that there are a lot of older people dying without a diagnosis.

Whether this is deliberate, an unfortunate accident or a combination of the two is open for debate.

One thing which is causing me to scratch my head for all nations is the number of cases. The expectation is that infection rates will be well over 50% and yet the number of reported cases globally is in the hundreds of thousands and increasing by tens of thousands.

Long and grisly haul I'm afraid. The long times between infection and symptoms, plus the significant portion of the infected population who never show symptoms make precise numbers impossible to track, and the total number of confirmed cases is much lower than it should be.

But the confirmed cases have been going up in an exponential arc for a while now. With virtually no one being immune to this thing and the lack of a vaccine, the only way to bring down the curve is lockdowns and social distancing, and we have to do it long before the number of infected gets too high to deal with.

It's kind of the same problem we have with Global Warming. In order to stop a catastrophe, we have to take real, significant, and expensive steps before the catastrophe effects or is obvious to everyone. Doing the right thing is going to seem like unnecessary overkill to much of the population.
Old 27th March 2020, 08:44 AM   #67
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Random View Post
In order to stop a catastrophe, we have to take real, significant, and expensive steps before the catastrophe effects or is obvious to everyone. Doing the right thing is going to seem like unnecessary overkill to much of the population.
...and if those measures work such that the catastrophe is less than fully catastrophic, that success will be used as evidence that such measures were really not necessary after all.

And should not be used the next time something like this happens.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 09:56 AM   #68
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’ve been seeing Trumpettes pushing the 2019 John Hopkins, as reporte by Fox News report about outbreaks as proof our response was just fine. Trump himself waved this report around in late February to prove everything would be fine.

The JH report is not as winning as Fox makes it out to be, although the US did excel in certain areas it ranks weak in others. And the report is little more than a war game, not an actual battle.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 09:56 AM   #69
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Let's not pretend here. We know it's all about dog whistle messaging about foreigners being to blame, like much of his other dog whistles.
That's only part of it. The real goal is to rally political tribalism by giving the right something to attack Americans for when they object to the stupid, counter-productive insistence on calling this novel coronavirus by wrong names. It gives them something to feel 'persecuted' over jointly, building that tribal political connection more, when they were at risk of losing some power by people unifying to combat a larger shared threat. Hell, tribals will even think that the blowback against Trump's actions is what generates a blowback itself.

Thus they have to downplay the threat, feed political tribalism even at damage to themselves, and attack, attack, attack.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #70
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I’ve been seeing Trumpettes pushing the 2019 John Hopkins, as reporte by Fox News report about outbreaks as proof our response was just fine. Trump himself waved this report around in late February to prove everything would be fine.

The JH report is not as winning as Fox makes it out to be, although the US did excel in certain areas it ranks weak in others. And the report is little more than a war game, not an actual battle.
Yeah, the French did pretty well in their 1939 report.
Old 27th March 2020, 09:58 AM   #71
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

1. Do/say something you know is going to get a reaction.
2. Accuse the other side of being "dramatic" or "overreacting" no matter how reasonable their reaction is.
3. Declare victory.

It's just base trolling. "I win because I got a reaction out of you."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 27th March 2020 at 10:02 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 09:59 AM   #72
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

You lost me.
And yet you repeatedly deny offers of a map and compass.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 10:12 AM   #73
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I got a list of conservative blogs from over at conservapedia, and started clicking.

Definitely the overriding theme is to deny the severity of the problem.

I hope they're right.
Old 27th March 2020, 10:17 AM   #74
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I got a list of conservative blogs from over at conservapedia, and started clicking.

Definitely the overriding theme is to deny the severity of the problem.

I hope they're right.
I really do as well.

I hope that everyone limits contact, stays home when possible, so that the conservatives can point and yell 'Told you it wouldn't be bad!'

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 11:18 AM   #75
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
AP Archive, March 26, 2020: Trump supporters back his stance on virus outbreak
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That video supports the ideas of the Trump 'cult' and that many Trump fans are fixated on triggering 'librals'. The campaign sticker that says "Trump 2020 Make Liberals Cry Again" particularly demonstrates that.

Obama was very popular among Democrats but I never saw the 'cult' mentality that I see in so many Trump supporters. I find such adoration very weird.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 11:39 AM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed!

Quote:
We know it's all about dog whistle messaging about foreigners being to blame, like much of his other dog whistles.
You lost me.
Oh, come on. Don't be so obviously disingenuous. Instead of calling it by its name Covid 19 (the disease) or Coronavirus (the virus that causes Covid 19), Trump is determined to connect it to China by calling it the Wuhan virus. He went so far as to insist the G7 statement specifically refer to it as the Wuhan virus against the objections of the other members. What is the purpose of this other than to dog whistle? And please, don't give me the nonsense that it's because it began in Wuhan.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 12:44 PM   #77
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There are blue states that Trump has no chance of winning, so there's no love lost. Letting Boston howl while sending aid to Ohio is something I could easily see Trump doing.
Right now he seems targeted on New York City.

As to the OP, im my local neck of the Outer Darkness that is a red state, I'm seeing a mix of older misinformation/CT ("it's a Chinese bioweapon"), snake oil remedy peddling, and general invecttive against local governments for imposing "stay at home" orders ("You can't tell me what to do, fascist/communist b******s") and worry about their jobs and supporrting their families. There's also a lot of knee-jerk paranoia about people catching the virus from packaging (despite the science saying that is not a significant risk) which has led to the rehab facility I'm confined to for a leg injury not allowing things to even be dropped off for me that I need that the facility does not supply.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 12:49 PM   #78
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
He claimed (paraphrasing) that inductive reasoning was when you base your position on the facts while in deductive reasoning you twist the facts to fit your position.
Which is exactly backward.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 02:51 PM   #79
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Why Was It Called the 'Spanish Flu?'
Quote:
The 1918 influenza pandemic did not, as many people believed, originate in Spain.

As the pandemic reached epic proportions in the fall of 1918, it became commonly known as the “Spanish Flu” or the “Spanish Lady” in the United States and Europe. Many assumed this was because the sickness had originated on the Iberian Peninsula, but the nickname was actually the result of a widespread misunderstanding.
Full (short) article here:
https://www.history.com/news/why-was...he-spanish-flu

It's still possible that it might eventually be called the "American Virus".
Old 27th March 2020, 08:21 PM   #80
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Why Was It Called the 'Spanish Flu?'

Full (short) article here:
https://www.history.com/news/why-was...he-spanish-flu

It's still possible that it might eventually be called the "American Virus".
Site was especially laggy for me.

At any rate, for those unable/unwilling to read the link, it's because Spain was neutral during WW1 so it could print news about the flu that belligerent nations were suppressing, therefore most of the news about it came from Spanish papers. (Spain called it the "French flu".)
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics