ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th September 2020, 05:30 PM   #281
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That was how the Repubs portrayed him. But he was a responsible JFK Democrat, probably somewhere to the right of Bernie Sanders, not to mention a decorated war hero, a university professor and a two-term U.S. senator. Considering what Nixon wrought, McGovern was the better choice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_McGovern

When I voted for him I knew he was a crook, but I was foolish enough to think he was a competent crook. My only excuse is that I was young, it was my first election, and I had grown up in Arch Moore's West Virginia, so I was pretty accustomed to crooked Repugnican politicians. It seemed perfectly normal to me. He hadn't done all that badly his first term.

I certainly came to regret that choice, and I haven't seen the Repugnicans do anything but get worse since then.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2020, 10:58 PM   #282
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

A bit of side drift here on Nixon and McGovern. I agree that I think McGovern was painted as a loon not only by the Republicans but by the so-called liberal press. The press has always had a penchant for trying to wrap people up with a few catch phrases and memes, and McGovern, perhaps because he was not the polished liar that Nixon was, fell into that trap. We think of America as very polarized now, and it is, but it was then too, on different issues. McGovern's demographic popularity with younger voters, and his opposition to the war were enough for many to count him as a lunatic outsider when he really was not.

It's a bit of a generalization, but my recollection of the press coverage of the day was that the headlines would be something like "McGovern Makes Another Mistake" on page 1, and somewhere down around page umpteen would be a little article headed "Nixon commits another crime."

The Republicans like to bash the liberal press, but I think more often than not, it is the press which kills candidates with its simplistic memes. Forget the substance. Muskie cried, Dean said "yeah" too loud, Gore was boring: that's what people remember.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 02:22 AM   #283
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
It's a Republic.
Uh-huh. A democracy structured as a republic. Apparently this is what, exactly, a lead in to a preschool word game? That claim and a lollipop make life better.

Or did you want to somehow, kinda, sorta roundabout imply the Republican party is more legit, "because words"? Remember, that's the "Party of Lincoln" that flies Confederate flags; no sense looking for any sense in that direction.
Old 6th September 2020, 03:06 AM   #284
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I’m going to give Barr this one. Election laws vary by state and can be complex. North Carolina laws are not clear on whether or not it is illegal to vote twice in some circumstances by submitting a ballot both in-person and absentee.

Don't.

Barr is on TV advocating against mail-in ballots, and as the AG we can expect and demand that he knows what he is talking about. He is the head of the DOJ, for crying out loud.
If he doesn't know about NC election law, he shouldn't talk about election law.
Old 6th September 2020, 08:10 AM   #285
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I’m going to give Barr this one. Election laws vary by state and can be complex.
I didn't say being AG was an easy job, I said that Barr's defence was that he was terrible at it.

It's his job to understand the law, even if it's complex. Especially on issues that are pressing and current which - according to no less an authority than the president of the United States - election fraud around mail-in ballots is. Barr has had months to get on top of it.

Going "lol! I've no idea what the law is!" when that is literally his job is...not a good look.
Old 6th September 2020, 08:49 AM   #286
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I’m going to give Barr this one. Election laws vary by state and can be complex. North Carolina laws are not clear on whether or not it is illegal to vote twice in some circumstances by submitting a ballot both in-person and absentee.
As others have pointed out, in different words...

Are you seeing Barr as having just crawled out of his crashed UFO from Neptune? No?

How many decades of experience has Barr in Law? He was AG a couple or so Presidents ago, for God's sake.

How many weeks have elapsed since Drumpf's shrieking about election fraud? Enough time for a halfway competent AG to get minimally prepared for interviews on the subject. Enough time to accrue some basic talking points (oh, how I despise that phrase!) that will have him come across as other than clueless.

He deserves not the slightest slack be cut him on these matters. Because does--or at least should--know better. But more importantly, because he is transparently Drumpf's Roy Cohn, operating with the full knowledge that the cult not only doesn't give a crap about their side's lawlessness, but actively wants to crap on the Constitution.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 11:53 AM   #287
Armitage72
Illuminator

Not ominous at all.

Surveillance video shows bags of USPS mail being dumped in Glendale spa parking lot

Quote:
Piles of mail were found in two separate locations in Glendale Thursday morning, including one incident where a rented truck was captured on surveillance video dumping bags of unopened letters and packages in the parking lot of a business.

Quote:
The incidents come as USPS has been mired in controversy over recent changes that have led to widespread mail delays across the country. A recent Los Angeles Times investigation uncovered employee accounts of food left rotting in packages and dead chicks in boxes at a South L.A. postal facility, after workers fell behind in processing packages amid nationwide cutbacks to staffing and mail-sorting machines.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 02:56 PM   #288
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Heads need to roll over this. If anything, staff needs to be increased in order to ensure that voting ballots are delivered to residences and then processed in a timely manner.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 05:20 PM   #289
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Don't.

Barr is on TV advocating against mail-in ballots, and as the AG we can expect and demand that he knows what he is talking about. He is the head of the DOJ, for crying out loud.
If he doesn't know about NC election law, he shouldn't talk about election law.

Not only was he advocating, he was flat-out lying about it. His claims about mail-in ballot fraud in Texas were pure, unadulterated fabrication.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 06:36 PM   #290
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not only was he advocating, he was flat-out lying about it. His claims about mail-in ballot fraud in Texas were pure, unadulterated fabrication.
I was trying to find the TX case that Barr was talking about and could nothing at all. I have no idea what he as referring to.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 07:05 PM   #291
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I was trying to find the TX case that Barr was talking about and could nothing at all. I have no idea what he as referring to.

Barr's lying.
Quote:
The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday admitted that the example of mail-in ballot fraud that Attorney General William Barr highlighted during a CNN interview was untrue.
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...-cited-on-cnn/

Quote:
Federal prosecutors brought no such indictment. And while a Justice Department spokeswoman said Barr was referring to a local prosecution involving suspected mail-in voting fraud in a city council election, the assistant district attorney on that case said Barr’s description doesn’t match the facts.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09...ail-in-voting/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 07:10 PM   #292
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Ah, thanks. Barr is Trump's sycophant. If Biden wins, he will be one of, if not THE first to go in a massive clean out of Trump's cronies. Truly a cleaning of the swamp.
Old 7th September 2020, 07:20 PM   #293
Tero
Graduate Poster

I think a lot of Trump cabinet posts will be vacated by Jan 1. They will just go home and keep getting the paycheck.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2020, 08:06 PM   #294
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I think a lot of Trump cabinet posts will be vacated by Jan 1 Nov-4. They will just go home and keep getting the paycheck.
Adjusted.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 01:05 AM   #295
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, thanks. Barr is Trump's sycophant. If Biden wins, he will be one of, if not THE first to go in a massive clean out of Trump's cronies. Truly a cleaning of the swamp.
AIUI, it's policy for an AG to resign when the president who appointed them loses an election. Their second in command takes over a deputy until the inauguration, and then a new AG is appointed.

So Biden won't have to do anything to remove Barr, because Barr will already be gone.
Old 8th September 2020, 01:37 AM   #296
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
AIUI, it's policy for an AG to resign when the president who appointed them loses an election. Their second in command takes over a deputy until the inauguration, and then a new AG is appointed.

So Biden won't have to do anything to remove Barr, because Barr will already be gone.
In the (IMO unlikely) event that President Trump is not reelected, in Barr's case maybe he'll hang on, force Biden to fire him, and then claim that the Deep State is purging loyal servants of the Trump Administration to generate outrage among the Right Wing.

FOXNews and Sinclair Media would doubtless trumpet this news and pretend that the usual protocol hadn't been followed.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2020, 03:35 PM   #297
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's more likely that Trump will have to be given a strong enema in order to get rid of Barr.
Old 9th September 2020, 02:34 PM   #298
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
It didn't backfire. If you want to vote normally, just bring your mail in ballot and it's envelope along with you to your polling place.
That's what I will do.

On a related note. Although we have not received our ballots yet, and the website shows that we have submitted an application for them, we received our third unsolicited application for absentee ballots today.
Old 9th September 2020, 04:01 PM   #299
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Donnie is not having a good day.

Quote:
Peter Weber
September 8, 2020, 10:46 PM PDT·2 mins read

"Legions of Republican lawyers have searched in vain over four decades for fraudulent double voting," Benjamin Ginsberg, a newly retired top Republican Party election lawyer, writes in a Washington Post op-ed published late Tuesday. "At long last, they have a blatant example of a major politician urging his supporters to illegally vote twice. The only hitch is that the candidate is President Trump."

Peter Weber
September 8, 2020, 10:46 PM PDT·2 mins read

"Legions of Republican lawyers have searched in vain over four decades for fraudulent double voting," Benjamin Ginsberg, a newly retired top Republican Party election lawyer, writes in a Washington Post op-ed published late Tuesday. "At long last, they have a blatant example of a major politician urging his supporters to illegally vote twice. The only hitch is that the candidate is President Trump."

Trump's repeated exhortations to commit vote fraud, paired with his frequent claims that the election will be "rigged" and "fraudulent," are "doubly wrong," Ginsberg writes. They make the GOP's "torrent of 2020 voting litigation" look like "transactional hypocrisy," and they are false. "The truth is that after decades of looking for illegal voting, there's no proof of widespread fraud," he concedes. "At most, there are isolated incidents — by both Democrats and Republicans. Elections are not rigged."

"These are painful conclusions for me to reach," Ginsberg adds, setting out an overview of his "38 years in the GOP's legal trenches," including serving as counsel to the Republican National Committee and six of the last four GOP presidential nominees.

Each Election Day since 1984, I've been in precincts looking for voting violations, or in Washington helping run the nationwide GOP Election Day operations, overseeing the thousands of Republican lawyers and operatives each election on alert for voting fraud. In every election, Republicans have been in polling places and vote tabulation centers. Republican lawyers in every state have been able to examine mail-in/absentee ballot programs. [Benjamin Ginsberg, The Washington Post]

The GOP lawyers and conservative activists found only a "minuscule" amount of fraud, mail-in or otherwise, and despite looking, Trump's 2016 campaign "could produce no hard evidence of systemic fraud," Ginsberg writes. Trump even put "the most vociferous hunters of Democratic election fraud" in charge of presidential commission on "election integrity," he notes, and "it disbanded without finding anything." Read Ginsberg's entire op-ed, including his warning for the GOP, at The Washington Post.
https://money.yahoo.com/top-gop-elec...5sZF5MOee1IN4b
Old 10th September 2020, 12:09 AM   #300
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't matter one jot whether any actual evidence is found.....

....the important thing is that President Trump, the GOP, FOXNews and Sinclair Media outlets continue to claim that voter fraud is rife and on the back of that implement voter ID laws, restrict postal voting and purge voter rolls.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 12:40 AM   #301
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It doesn't matter one jot whether any actual evidence is found.....

....the important thing is that President Trump, the GOP, FOXNews and Sinclair Media outlets continue to claim that voter fraud is rife and on the back of that implement voter ID laws, restrict postal voting and purge voter rolls.
Of course it doesn't matter to his followers. Facts never have and never will mean anything to them. It's just that to have a longtime Republican election lawyer come out with this scathing report today of all days was the icing on the bad news flavored cake for Donnie.
Old 10th September 2020, 12:51 AM   #302
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Of course it doesn't matter to his followers. Facts never have and never will mean anything to them. It's just that to have a longtime Republican election lawyer come out with this scathing report today of all days was the icing on the bad news flavored cake for Donnie.
Sadly, the only people who will bother to read that report, or even the reporting of it are already dead set against the President.

I mean it's nice that there are some Republicans who appear to have some sense of responsibility but it's not really bad news for President Trump because IMO it doesn't affect his reelection chances negatively.
Old 10th September 2020, 12:23 PM   #303
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sadly, the only people who will bother to read that report, or even the reporting of it are already dead set against the President.

I mean it's nice that there are some Republicans who appear to have some sense of responsibility but it's not really bad news for President Trump because IMO it doesn't affect his reelection chances negatively.
I'd bet it never makes it to Fox, too.

ETA: Yep. Just did a search on FOX. Not a word about it.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 10th September 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 24th September 2020, 06:38 AM   #304
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

We have a name for the planner of the 2020 GOP-voter fraud:

Hans von Spakovsky

https://www.propublica.org/article/n...tion-officials

Secret meetings with Republican state election officials - this is the new Hofeller disenfranchising the voters in support of Trump.

Republicans are right: there is massive voter fraud, and they are doing it.
Old 24th September 2020, 06:43 AM   #305
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//wrong thread//
Old 1st October 2020, 05:32 AM   #306
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs Don has sent in her New Jersey absentee ballot from the UK.

She has sent it with "tracking" on.

It has now arrived in New Jersey

It spent two days in Langley, Virginia
Old 1st October 2020, 05:38 AM   #307
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

nothing to see here.
Move Along.
Old 1st October 2020, 07:58 AM   #308
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I don't know enough about international mail to know if this is unusual.
Old 1st October 2020, 08:52 AM   #309
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Do you know what else is in Langley, VA?
Old 1st October 2020, 08:56 AM   #310
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Neither do I. I would have assumed that New Jersey bound mail would either come in via one of the New York airports, or one of the courier company hubs like Memphis.
Old 1st October 2020, 08:56 AM   #311
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Do you know what else is in Langley, VA?
Are we sure we're talking Langley, Virginia, or the Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre, located in Langley, UK.
Old 1st October 2020, 09:05 AM   #312
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Are we sure we're talking Langley, Virginia, or the Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre, located in Langley, UK.
Langley Virginia
Old 1st October 2020, 10:05 AM   #313
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Langley Virginia
You understand that that's the headquarters of the CIA? Do they think you're a spy?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 06:44 PM   #314
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Probably an international mail sorting facility.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st October 2020 at 06:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 06:59 PM   #315
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Sure it was Langley, VA? Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Center, which sorts international mail for the Royal Mail is in Langley, Berkshire UK.

Langley, VA is pretty small in and of itself. I don't think there's any sort of real mail sorting or processing facility there that would get marked in tracking.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 1st October 2020 at 07:03 PM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:54 AM   #316
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The governor of Texas has ordered the removal of all mail-in ballot drop-off boxes, bar one per county
Old 11th October 2020, 12:17 PM   #317
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

“Drop off box” appears outside of a church. Pastor promotes it. County says it’s bogus.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...KtHU2oIG7JiaSs

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2020, 12:32 PM   #318
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Overturned on appeal, then a stay was ordered by a 3 panel court with all Trump appointees.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2020, 01:46 PM   #319
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Overturned on appeal, then a stay was ordered by a 3 panel court with all Trump appointees.
But it's created confusion and distrust of the system, which is the point.
Old 11th October 2020, 02:16 PM   #320
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I dropped my ballot off at the drop box this afternoon. I have to say that while it was nice to fill out my ballot in my boxer shorts and t-shirt this morning while I had coffee, it's not very satisfying dropping off your ballot in box in an empty parking lot. There's something about showing up and voting in person that makes you feel engaged in the process.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics