ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th October 2020, 03:34 PM   #321
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I dropped my ballot off at the drop box this afternoon. I have to say that while it was nice to fill out my ballot in my boxer shorts and t-shirt this morning while I had coffee, it's not very satisfying dropping off your ballot in box in an empty parking lot. There's something about showing up and voting in person that makes you feel engaged in the process.
Take the best of both worlds: show up at your voting site in person in your boxing shorts and t-shirt with your coffee and vote in person.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2020, 09:19 PM   #322
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
“Drop off box” appears outside of a church. Pastor promotes it. County says it’s bogus.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...KtHU2oIG7JiaSs
Once again, whatever amount of actual voter and/or election fraud that occurs ends up being by Republicans.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2020, 12:09 AM   #323
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Take the best of both worlds: show up at your voting site in person in your boxing shorts and t-shirt with your coffee and vote in person.
I might need a bathrobe. It starts to get chilly here in November.
Old 12th October 2020, 04:57 AM   #324
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Once again, whatever amount of actual voter and/or election fraud that occurs ends up being by Republicans.
Going to jail to own the libs.
Old 12th October 2020, 08:23 AM   #325
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

My wife, son, and I dropped off our ballots in a nearby drop box last Tuesday. Tracking online, they show received at the county clerk's office as of last Thursday.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2020, 08:25 AM   #326
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm good to go.

Old 12th October 2020, 08:39 AM   #327
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I dropped my ballot into the mail Saturday morning, so I'm waiting for it to show up on the sec of state ballot tracker website.

When I voted in the primary, I dropped it directly into the drop box outside the town hall, and updates were available the next day. I was lazier this time and just dropped it into a blue mail box while at the laundromat, so it may take a bit longer to show up.
Old 12th October 2020, 02:34 PM   #328
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I dropped my ballot into the mail Saturday morning, so I'm waiting for it to show up on the sec of state ballot tracker website.

When I voted in the primary, I dropped it directly into the drop box outside the town hall, and updates were available the next day. I was lazier this time and just dropped it into a blue mail box while at the laundromat, so it may take a bit longer to show up.
I voted yesterday. I plan on voting again tomorrow. And again on Wednesday. I wouldn't want to disappoint Dear Leader by making him out to be a liar about voting fraud.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2020, 02:49 PM   #329
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

“Drop off box” appears outside of a church. Pastor promotes it. County says it’s bogus.

Too few ballot boxes and they complain.
Too many ballot boxes and they complain.
If you're republican, it often looks like you cannot win.

P. S. What's next? If the republicans create private polling places
that look every bit like real polling site and take peoples votes,
will they complain again?
Old 12th October 2020, 03:25 PM   #330
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

(Have not read very much of thread.)

I dropped my ballot into a drop box today. I was a bit hesitant, but it seemed like a good idea. I took a picture of the tracking number and will look it up tomorrow. If I don't see it in the tracking system, I'll make inquiries in a few days.

Here is my nightmare scenario for November 3, and while I call it a "nightmare scenario", I don't think it's unlikely.

The election is extremely close. A signifcant amount of mail in/dropped off ballots are sent in.

A large reason for using mail in/drop off is fear of catching the virus while voting in person. There is a party correlation for that fear. Democrats have more fear than Republicans. As a result, there will be more use of non-traditional voting means this year.

A measureable percentage of mail in ballots will be spoiled. It's easier to get it right if you are voting in person. Some ballots will be lost. Some filled out incorrectly. Some will require postage and the person will put the wrong amount on. Signatures will be challenged. Some people will forget to send them in, but decide not to go vote in person on November 3. Mistakes will be made, and with no poll workers to help, those mistakes will cost the Democrats more votes than the Republicans, just because more Democrats will be using the system. Some swing states that should go to Biden, based on what the voters think they did, will end up in the Trump camp, because of voter error.

It's too early to call that an actual "prediction" that that will happen. We still don't know how close this election will be. It may be that the hoped for landslide for Biden will actually materialize, and the 1% of vote loss won't matter. However, it is something I fear.

A close election being fought out by lawyers will be very bad for the country. An even worse scenario would be that one of the candidates achieves an obvious win, based on how people intended to vote, but the other candidate actually wins due to technical errors. That would be very, very, bad regardless of who wins, but I think that scenario favors Trump, so I don't think it's a serious possibility that Biden could win that way.

Anyway, I think Biden will win, but I'm not sure of it. Far more important than who wins, though, is that the ballots be counted fairly and the wishes of the voters are reflected in the published results
Old 12th October 2020, 04:06 PM   #331
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

OK, my dad is on his death bed. Literally. He came home from the nursing home and it's a matter of time. Could be days, could be weeks. He is largely unresponsive, and is basically not communicative. He's 88 with Parkinson's, so it's ok, we are all ready. We will all be sad when he dies, but it won't be devastating or anything.

I was there last weekend when he came home. My family are all big Trumpers, and I stay quiet. There's a reason I don't live near them.

My mom said she got ballots for both her and my dad in the mail. She and my brother sat and talked about how she could send in the ballots for both of them.

That's right, my Trump-loving family is talking above voter fraud. Not only are they talking about filling out his ballot for him, it's likely he will be dead before election day. I don't think dead people are allow to vote in an election, even if they vote early. Then again, that is a good reason for requesting an absentee ballot - "I will be dead on election day"

Presumably his ballot will be rejected because "the signature won't match," but is there a way I can call in an anonymous tip? Sorry, family or not, I'm all for crashing the party.
Old 12th October 2020, 04:10 PM   #332
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
OK, my dad is on his death bed. Literally. He came home from the nursing home and it's a matter of time. Could be days, could be weeks. He is largely unresponsive, and is basically not communicative. He's 88 with Parkinson's, so it's ok, we are all ready. We will all be sad when he dies, but it won't be devastating or anything.

I was there last weekend when he came home. My family are all big Trumpers, and I stay quiet. There's a reason I don't live near them.

My mom said she got ballots for both her and my dad in the mail. She and my brother sat and talked about how she could send in the ballots for both of them.

That's right, my Trump-loving family is talking above voter fraud. Not only are they talking about filling out his ballot for him, it's likely he will be dead before election day. I don't think dead people are allow to vote in an election, even if they vote early. Then again, that is a good reason for requesting an absentee ballot - "I will be dead on election day"

Presumably his ballot will be rejected because "the signature won't match," but is there a way I can call in an anonymous tip? Sorry, family or not, I'm all for crashing the party.
They will have to forge his signature so they will be committing a felony. Is there any way you can just take his ballot without them knowing?

Sorry about your dad. Even though it's expected, losing your dad is still a sad event. I went through the same thing when my dad died from cancer.

ETA: I think I misread. You are not there now, correct?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th October 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12th October 2020, 04:17 PM   #333
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

They will have to forge his signature so they will be committing a felony. Is here any way you can just take his ballot without them knowing?.
Mom will know, because she knows both of them are there.

I just want to call in a tip to the polling station and warn them to reject his ballot.

I wouldn't be unhappy if my brother got arrested for committing felony voter fraud. My mom is too clueless to bother with (when she was staying at the nursing home with my dad, the nursing staff all figured she had dementia) but my brother is just a racist ******* and it would serve him right.
Old 12th October 2020, 04:32 PM   #334
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mom will know, because she knows both of them are there.

I just want to call in a tip to the polling station and warn them to reject his ballot.

I wouldn't be unhappy if my brother got arrested for committing felony voter fraud. My mom is too clueless to bother with (when she was staying at the nursing home with my dad, the nursing staff all figured she had dementia) but my brother is just a racist ******* and it would serve him right.
Quote:
Those who suspect voter fraud of any kind should call the United States Attorney’s Office at 225-389-0443, or call 225-955-8283 if the suspected fraud occurs on Election Day during polling hours. Reports can also be made to the FBI at 225-291-5159. Complaints may also be made to the Department of Justice’s Voting Section at 800-253-3931 or 202-307-2767. Complaints may also be emailed to voting.section@usdoj.gov.
https://www.fox8live.com/2018/11/06/...d-voter-fraud/
Old 12th October 2020, 04:37 PM   #335
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I found a reporting form for the state, actually
Old 12th October 2020, 04:43 PM   #336
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I found a reporting form for the state, actually
Good. If your mom has dementia, she won't be prosecuted, but your brother damn well should be.
Old 12th October 2020, 04:53 PM   #337
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Good. If your mom has dementia, she won't be prosecuted, but your brother damn well should be.
Depends on the extent to which he participates. I'd go with conspiracy
Old 12th October 2020, 05:00 PM   #338
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

For what it's worth, I don't think you should report them for voter fraud. Family issues are complex, but, this just shouldn't be the one thing that makes the family relationships irreparable. However, it's your family, so you have to be the judge. Just don't do it based on politics. In other words, if you have genuine outrage that they are casting a vote for your father in this manner, then that's one thing. The fact that it's a vote for Trump shouldn't be the one thing that makes you decide to report it. In other words, I hold elections to be sacred. If you agree, and are offended that they are breaking the sanctity of the election, then do what you have to do. If you are worried about Trump getting one invalid vote, don't do it.

If he passes before the election, you could simply notify the clerk that his ballot is ineligible and they can remove it, and no one gets prosecuted.

This assumes that it's a safe bet that your father would have voted for Trump. If they are, in effect, stealing his vote as well, that's pretty awful. That's a lot bigger deal than just Trump getting an undeserved vote.

Anyway, I was interested that on my ballot it said somethning like, "This ballot may only be completed by the voter. Power of attorney does not count." (I don't remember the exact wording, but the emphasis was in the original.)

Last edited by Meadmaker; 12th October 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2020, 05:38 PM   #339
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's not just the one. Republicans are installing fake ballot boxes all over the state.
Old 12th October 2020, 05:44 PM   #340
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think you should report them for voter fraud. Family issues are complex, but, this just shouldn't be the one thing that makes the family relationships irreparable.
If I can do it as an anonymous tip, I can avoid that.

But my plan wasn't to say anything about fraud, just to inform the sec of state that he is not able to vote on his own, and any vote should be discarded.

Although there is a principle - with Trump making such a big deal about voter fraud, to expose them makes an important point.
Old 12th October 2020, 05:57 PM   #341
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But my plan wasn't to say anything about fraud, just to inform the sec of state that he is not able to vote on his own, and any vote should be discarded.

Although there is a principle - with Trump making such a big deal about voter fraud, to expose them makes an important point.
If he's not able to vote on his own, then obviously someone will have forged his signature.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th October 2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12th October 2020, 06:31 PM   #342
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't count on that anonymity. I have just seen too many cases where someone's identity was correctly inferred. A lot depends on exactly what happens and where it goes. My guess is that it wouldn't even be prosecuted if you did what you described, but so much depends on exactly the sort of place where it was, and the personality of the people receiving the tip. The fact is that you are reporting a crime, and you are doing so based on knowledge available to very few people, and of interest to even fewer. Depending on the attitude of the people receiving the tip, it could become more complicated than you are thinking, and the clerk's office isn't sworn to secrecy. If somehow your family discovers that there was an anonymous tip, whom do you think they will suspect made the tip? They might confront you. Unless you are a very accomplished liar, which usually takes a lot of practice, they may end up knowing you are the one.

However, I don't want to belabor the point. It's a risky path, but it is your choice to make. You certainly would not be doing anything immoral in providing the tip.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 12th October 2020 at 06:32 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 02:37 AM   #343
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A private security firm is recruiting former Special-Ops people to protect polling stations from left-wing disturbances

Of course, this isn't voter intimidation, and it has nothing to do with Trump saying that people will have to protect polling stations.
Old 13th October 2020, 09:31 AM   #344
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

It drives me nuts that pundits treat voters standing in hours long lines to cast a ballot as as a feel-good story about their determination to participate.

The very existence of hours-long lines is plain evidence of voter suppression. For every voter that is toughing it out for 12 hrs to cast a ballot, there are many more that won't and/or can't spend the day doing this. There's nothing inspiring about obvious voter suppression tactics playing out before our eyes.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th October 2020 at 10:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 01:19 PM   #345
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

My brother is also a racist jerk and I could see him doing this if our father was still alive. (Heck, he may try even though dad died in January.) Based on that, I would have no problem saying to my brother that signing the ballot is a felony and not worth risking his future on.

My brother would know that is a threat that I will turn him in. Yours may see it differently. I don't know. Either way, I believe in giving people a chance to be best.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 01:20 PM   #346
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It drives me nuts that pundits treat voters standing in hours long lines to cast a ballot as as a feel-good story about their determination to participate.

The very existence of hours-long lines is plain evidence of voter suppression. For every voter that is toughing it out for 12 hrs to cast a ballot, there are many more that won't and/or can't spend the day doing this. There's nothing inspiring about obvious voter suppression tactics playing out before our eyes.
It is an embarrassment.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics