ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th September 2020, 11:56 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

2020 Congressional Election

General purpose thread for news, discussion, debate, predictions, questions etc.

Background info:

The United States Congress is the head of the Legislative Branch. It consists of two houses:

- The Senate. 100 seats. Each state, regardless of population, gets to elect two Senators each.

- The House of Representatives. 435 seats. States get a number of Representatives ranging from 1 to 53 depending on population.

//These number do not account for non-voting members elected by American territories such as Puerto Rico//

All 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives and 35 out of 100 seats in the United States Senate are up for grabs in November.

Currently the Democrats hold a majority in the House (232 to the Republicans 198, with one Libertarian and 4 vacant) while the Republicans hold a majority in the Senate (53 to the Democrats 45, with 2 Independents who generally caucus and vote with the Democrats giving them a de-facto 47)

Current political polling suggests a tight race for the Senate, with a 50-50 split not being one of the less likely outcomes, with the Democrats retaining a majority in the house.

Either party achieving a super-majority in either of the Houses looks extremely unlikely.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th September 2020 at 12:06 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 12:05 PM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Due to a combination of industrial scale voter suppression, gerrymandering and wholesale discounting of postal votes, President Trump will be re-elected, the GOP will increase their majority in the senate and will regain control of the house with a comfortable majority.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Due to a combination of industrial scale voter suppression, gerrymandering and wholesale discounting of postal votes, President Trump will be re-elected, the GOP will increase their majority in the senate and will regain control of the house with a comfortable majority.
The lesson with gerrymandering is that it doesn't work for very long. The Democrats took the House by winning those gerrymandered districts. Not all states have voter suppression issues. Dems control the voting mechanisms in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. Gerrymandering doesn't matter at all in the Senate or presidential races. And really, no one is talking about the Republicans taking back the House. Trump would need to be both leading and by a wide margin for that to happen.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:27 PM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Trump only barely won in 2016, by a total of only, what was it, 14 000 or 40 000 votes across several states he needed to win? Of course more of the votes this year will be by mail, and Trump has had four years in which to sabotage things, but this election-rigging can only get him so far.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2020, 04:30 PM   #5
Lurch
Graduate Poster

With this grim forecast as a fiducial, I'm pretty sure there'll be *something* for liberals to cheer. Jeez, if it turned out that bad, there'd be insufficient crisis councillors in the nation.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 06:18 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

This was posted elsewhere, but it should be noted that Nancy Pelosi and other DP heavyweights endorsed Joe Kennedy III in a primary challenge for progressive Ed Markey's incumbent Senate seat. For all the talk of party unity and the need to defeat Trump, money and political attention was squandered in order to try to challenge a relatively progressive Democratic Senator with a centrist candidate.

Kennedy lost. I guess that last name doesn't have the same cache it used to. Back to Hyannis Joe.
Old 9th September 2020, 03:42 PM   #7
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
This was posted elsewhere, but it should be noted that Nancy Pelosi and other DP heavyweights endorsed Joe Kennedy III in a primary challenge for progressive Ed Markey's incumbent Senate seat. For all the talk of party unity and the need to defeat Trump, money and political attention was squandered in order to try to challenge a relatively progressive Democratic Senator with a centrist candidate.

Kennedy lost. I guess that last name doesn't have the same cache it used to. Back to Hyannis Joe.
Isn't this the same thing they did with Biden vs Bernie/Warren/et al?
Except Biden won out for that one.
But I suppose that is national and perhaps things that are national are more moderate than individual local races.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2020, 01:58 PM   #8
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Lindsey Graham tweets:

"It’s been 72 hours since I released 11 years of state and federal tax returns and challenged @HarrisonJaime to do the same. Crickets. What is he hiding?"

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/...637922818?s=19
Old 12th September 2020, 02:42 PM   #9
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I would bet everything I own against this, even knowing your track record.

This is so silly that I'm demoting you from prescient to broken clock.
Old 13th September 2020, 05:31 AM   #10
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Lindsey Graham tweets:

"It’s been 72 hours since I released 11 years of state and federal tax returns and challenged @HarrisonJaime to do the same. Crickets. What is he hiding?"

This seems like a perilous road to go down for a piece of Trumptrash like Graham.
Old 13th September 2020, 07:27 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham tweets:

Ah yes: The eleven years of Lindsey Graham's tax returns that we've all been so urgently awaiting, ever since he launched his political career. 28 years ago. Hopefully Harrison Jaime DGAF about Graham's twitter call-outs.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 06:01 PM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Not that I care about the Trumptrash at the rally in Nevada tonight. However, we know the virus passes from animals to people and the attendees could pass the virus to real people who have value.
Old 13th September 2020, 06:37 PM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Not that I care about the Trumptrash at the rally in Nevada tonight. However, we know the virus passes from animals to people and the attendees could pass the virus to real people who have value.
Not to mention, to real animals that have value!
Old 13th September 2020, 07:23 PM   #14
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Lindsey Graham tweets:

Please, please let Trump repost this without reading the whole thing.
Old 14th September 2020, 02:07 AM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I would bet everything I own against this, even knowing your track record.

This is so silly that I'm demoting you from prescient to broken clock.
....I really, really hope you are right.

I really, really fear you are not.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 01:07 PM   #16
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some recent polling numbers for the U.S. senate races:

(Via: Politico)

- Susan "He's learned his Lesson" Collins is WAY down in the Maine senate race. (She is behind Sarah Gideon by 54-42.) I thought the Democrats had a good shot at taking this seat, but a margin like that is more than I was expecting. Hopefully Collins has learned her lesson.

- Lady Lindsey is currently tied with his opponent (Harrison) in South Carolina. (Strangely enough, Harrison actually rates better who is seen as more favorable. Sadly with voter suppression, I don't have much hope of the Democrats winning S.C.

- Sadly, Moscow Mitch is leading in Kentucky. But being the backwards state that it is, its not surprising that Kentucky is sticking with the turtle. (I have sometimes wondered if it would be more fitting to see Moscow Mitch lose, or see him win but have the GOP lose the senate so he loses his power.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:46 AM   #17
Monza
Alta Viro

Lindsey Graham tweets:

Harrison released his returns this week and tweeted in reply, "Done. Now do President Trump."
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 06:01 AM   #18
Firestone

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Harrison released his returns this week and tweeted in reply, "Done. Now do President Trump."
Of course.

Own goal by Graham, as apparently South Carolina asked the candidates to release their tax returns.
Quote:
The State asked both campaigns to release their candidate’s tax returns.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...245737230.html
Old 17th September 2020, 06:03 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Is this just becoming some weird affect now?

Raise your hand if anyone's tax return ever caused you to vote or not vote for them.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:00 AM   #20
Firestone

538's Senate forecast is live.

The gist: Democrats *probably* need 4 or 5 pickups, depending on the presidency, since Doug Jones is an underdog in AL-Sen. A lot of these races are against incumbents in red states. Still, Democrats have so many opportunities (~12!) that they're slight favorites to do it.
(Nate Silver on Twitter)
Old 26th September 2020, 08:36 PM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Minnesota 2nd District Congressional Race is being delayed until next year after a 3rd party candidate has died.

Adam Weeks, 38, was a farmer running under the Legal Marijuana Now Party against freshman Democratic Rep. Angie Craig. Minnesota has a state law requiring a delay of election of a candidate dies with 79 days of the election.

Minnesota's 2nd District is considered a tight race between Craig and Republican challenger Tyler Kistner.
Old 28th September 2020, 02:27 PM   #22
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Lady Linsey Graham seems to be having some funding problems...

Twice on Thursday, Graham...went on Fox News Channel and implored viewers to donate to his campaign...“I’m getting overwhelmed,” Graham told conservative talk-show host Sean Hannity Thursday night. “...Help me. They’re killing me, money-wise. Help me. You helped me last week — help me again."

Maybe we can hold a telethon for him.

Now, I admit, despite a close race, the republicans will still probably hold on to the seat. But it is nice to see them sweating over it.

And the folks at the Lincoln project have picked up on things.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1309620608561414144

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 03:47 PM   #23
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

One issue is that the GOP is having to funnel money into places that used to not need it. Lee Zeldin is spending like $6 mil in Long Island. He won his seat by 8% in 2018 but is facing a bigger challenge this time around (the the democrats are putting some weight into it as a flippable district).
Old 28th September 2020, 04:34 PM   #24
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
One issue is that the GOP is having to funnel money into places that used to not need it. Lee Zeldin is spending like $6 mil in Long Island. He won his seat by 8% in 2018 but is facing a bigger challenge this time around (the the democrats are putting some weight into it as a flippable district).
I am actually surprised... I thought the republicans party had decided not to fund congressional house races this time (saving their money for the Presidential race.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Old 28th September 2020, 04:45 PM   #25
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I am actually surprised... I thought the republicans party had decided not to fund congressional house races this time (saving their money for the Presidential race.)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Well maybe Lee Zeldin has a stockpile, but he's not going to be sending it on to the President
Old 28th September 2020, 09:08 PM   #26
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Twice on Thursday, Graham...went on Fox News Channel and implored viewers to donate to his campaign...“I’m getting overwhelmed,” Graham told conservative talk-show host Sean Hannity Thursday night. “...Help me. They’re killing me, money-wise. Help me. You helped me last week — help me again."

Now, I admit, despite a close race, the republicans will still probably hold on to the seat. But it is nice to see them sweating over it.

This might have something to do with it:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-defend-mccain

One of Graham's long-time donors shifted his money to his opponent for the following reasons:

Quote:
“I asked myself, ‘What is the character of a man who will not defend his best friend? If he won’t defend John McCain, why would I expect him to defend any of us in South Carolina?’” Richard Wilkerson, the retired chairman and president of Michelin North America, wrote in an op-ed for the Greenville News.

“My conclusion was that he was more interested in currying favor than in honoring the memory of a true American hero whom he had described as his best friend," he added. "I was extremely disappointed.”
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 11:16 PM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham wouldn't recognize 'character' if was spelled out for him in a dictionary.

I think both Cindy and Meghan McCain have been hugely disappointed in him and disgusted by his betrayal of John McCain.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 04:11 AM   #28
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Not saying it isn't true, but desperate pleas for money is a common tactic in political fundraising. Telling your audience that you're getting clobbered may just be a ploy.

Graham seems to be facing a more serious challenge than normal, but hoping for a Democrat in S. Carolina is long shot odds.
Old 29th September 2020, 05:19 PM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Not saying it isn't true, but desperate pleas for money is a common tactic in political fundraising. Telling your audience that you're getting clobbered may just be a ploy.

Graham seems to be facing a more serious challenge than normal, but hoping for a Democrat in S. Carolina is long shot odds.
Won't you please help stop the suffering?

ETA: "autographed picture of Lindsay Graham enjoying a hot dog" is a nice, though homophobic, touch.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 29th September 2020 at 05:22 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 01:51 PM   #30
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Cal Cunningham, who is trying to defeat GOP incumbent Thom Tillis in a very competitive race in NC, apologizes for sending sexy texts to a woman not his wife.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 06:16 PM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Cal Cunningham, who is trying to defeat GOP incumbent Thom Tillis in a very competitive race in NC, apologizes for sending sexy texts to a woman not his wife.
I saw some of those on Twitter. Tamest sexts ever
Old 3rd October 2020, 06:30 PM   #32
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

There was a debate tonight between Lindsey Graham and Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison. Harrison began the debate by setting up a giant plexiglass shield next to his podium facing Graham's.

By all accounts, the debate was a one-sided savaging and Graham was visibly helpless for most of it.

Last edited by Checkmite; 3rd October 2020 at 06:44 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:07 PM   #33
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
There was a debate tonight between Lindsey Graham and Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison. Harrison began the debate by setting up a giant plexiglass shield next to his podium facing Graham's.

By all accounts, the debate was a one-sided savaging and Graham was visibly helpless for most of it.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd October 2020 at 08:18 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 10:54 PM   #34
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I like it. But I am surprised the moderators allowed it. (I thought that they would have some sort of "No physical props" in the debate rules.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:05 PM   #35
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I like it. But I am surprised the moderators allowed it. (I thought that they would have some sort of "No physical props" in the debate rules.
Situationally, I would argue - and I'd bet Harrison would too - that it is legitimate safety equipment, not a prop. Graham has had direct contact with someone who tested positive yesterday.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:27 PM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not after the Trump debate.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2020, 05:34 AM   #37
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

I don't think "barrier to prevent possible COVID-19 infection" counts as "physical prop".

Maybe Graham didn't catch the plague. Maybe intention was actually there, to use this screen as physical prop to remind people about coronavirus.

But unfortunately (for republicans), this kind of thing has very, very good excuse now.
Old 5th October 2020, 07:57 AM   #38
Firestone

Schadenfreude is not ok, but hey:

"Rep. Jeff Van Drew (R-N.J.), who switched parties with the hope of keeping his seat, now trails his Democratic opponent Amy Kennedy by a margin of 49% to 44% in a new Monmouth poll."

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...31948332716033
https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/sta...32417360818176

Last edited by Firestone; 5th October 2020 at 08:21 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2020, 10:10 AM   #39
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I saw some of those on Twitter. Tamest sexts ever
True, the ones I saw were at worst PG rated, but they did make it pretty obvious that he's having an extramarital affair. I'm sure there are some people who will see that as a deal breaker, unfortunately possibly enough to swing the race.

Last edited by CORed; 5th October 2020 at 10:11 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2020, 09:24 AM   #40
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
True, the ones I saw were at worst PG rated, but they did make it pretty obvious that he's having an extramarital affair. I'm sure there are some people who will see that as a deal breaker, unfortunately possibly enough to swing the race.
There's another allegation and he skipped a town hall yesterday.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics