ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:10 PM   #361
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I'm an author on numerous peer-reviewed papers, and have reviewed several. No reviewer has ever asked for original notes, data, or other proof that our source data was legitimate. At least in my field, that is not generally how peer review works. The concern is whether or not the work is sufficiently novel, meaningful, complete, and otherwise worthy of publication. This work certainly is.
Same here. This sort of detailed info is very, very rarely requested and never in the peer review process. Only after a strong suspicion of scientific fraud and it is not part of peer review but of a special fraud investigation by the suspect’s university.

As I mentioned before, even then there is typically no way to prove that what is claimed to be sample one in the gel in the publication was really sample one as loaded on the gel by the suspected investigator. Unless the fraudulent investigator trips up and manipulates the data after it is recorded somewhere or some statistical test reveals impossible statistics or claims to use a reagent that’s they never had access to. It has happened but very rarely.

Last edited by Giordano; 28th September 2020 at 07:11 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:13 PM   #362
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The information again shows Trump's believe that becoming successful is a Cargo Cult: if you want to be as rich as someone who can afford to buy and maintain airline or Golf Clubs, go ahead and buy them on credit, and then you, too, will get rich.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:15 PM   #363
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's why it annoys that Trump is such a symbol of the evils of capitalism.

He's a horrible businessman. J.J. Astor or J.P Morgan or any of the great robber-barons of the gilded age wouldn't have let Trump pick their cigarette butts off the sidewalk.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:15 PM   #364
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Even the term ďfake newsĒ is an intriguing one: is the news info Itself fake or is it Trumpís interpretation that it is not news: everyone already knows he is a fake?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:16 PM   #365
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
If Pence has any designs on becoming president, pardoning Trump & family would end his hopes right there.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:19 PM   #366
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's also weird that Trump doesn't... well he doesn't act rich. Outside of golf and arm candy he doesn't do any of the stereotypical "rich guy" stuff. He dresses like a slob, he doesn't have a collection of exotic cars, he doesn't horde fine art, he eats McDonalds, he doesn't race yachts or breed race horses, he doesn't... like do anything.

There's just so little... person there. He seems to have no interests, no goals, no passions, not even "bad" ones.

Evil his evil is done with this goober, passionless, dead eyed stupor.

Sure he's greedy and craves power, but to no greater purpose. Even his vices are the most boring versions of them. He's never going to threaten blow up the moon with a laser. He's a Bond Villain perpetually stuck in the 1st act.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 28th September 2020 at 07:33 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:21 PM   #367
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
When this is all over Trump, his family and his associates are all going to be in prison.

they will fill a whole prison wing, give them the one on the west.
My bet is that isn't going to happen. They should go to prison. But as much as I'd like to see that happen I would prefer to heal the country.

I'm tired of a nation divided against itself. It's ok to disagree. In fact, that is not only expected, it is required for a healthy country. But this division can only bring the country down. If I was Biden, (If he wins) I would travel the country ...with a specific focus on rural America and start a real dialogue.

I would also focus on the systemic problems which allowed Trump to assault the checks and balances as he has done. This cannot happen again.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:22 PM   #368
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:
I could see a potential problem with that.

I remember someone here mentioning that when you grant a pardon,

1) it has to be for specific offences (i.e. you can't grant a blanket "you are absolved of all crimes". So Trump's crimes would have to be enumerated. Not sure if Trump would want that to happen, or if Pence would be willing to grant a pardon in those circumstances. (Not saying that Pence has any integrity, but he may not want to make himself look bad should he decide to stay in federal politics.)

2) The pardon has to be accepted, and it is sometimes viewed as an admission of guilt. So while Trump might be clear of federal charges, he would be making it much easier for the states to prosecute him over similar crimes, since he would have admitted his guilt by accepting the pardon.
1). Not true. It's called a "blanket pardon":
Q: Can a president issue a blanket pardon to an individual for crimes that may have been committed in the past but have not yet been discovered?

A: Yes. Thatís just what Gerald Ford did when he granted ďa full, free, and absolute pardonĒ to Richard Nixon

Pence would just have to issue a blanket pardon for any crimes Trump may have committed in connection with his federal taxes.
The other poster had suggested that the pardon of Nixon may have been technically wrong (i.e. done in a way that made it invalid) but without anyone to prosecute, it didn't really matter.

Admittedly, I am going by memory, and basing things on another poster's claims, so yeah, good chance I am wrong on this.

However, I do think there may be some validity to my suggestion that Pence may not want to pardon Trump because it might cause him problems if he decides to stick around in federal politics. (Even if its a blanket pardon.) He would be the "man who let a criminal go free".... The MAGAchuds may not care about such things, both others might.)

Quote:
2) Pardons have no formal, legal effect of declaring guilt.
From Wikipedia:
According to Associate Justice Joseph McKenna, writing the majority opinion in the U.S. Supreme Court case Burdick v. United States, a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt; acceptance a confession of it."
Quote:
We've been through this discussion before. Do you think Trump would give a rat's ass what anyone thought if it got him free and clear?
To be honest? I don't know.

Yes, Trump would want to get away free and clear. But he is also a narcissist with a huge ego, and may think "I don't need to admit guilt... I have stacked the courts so if I appeal I will eventually hit a judge that will find me innocent".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:32 PM   #369
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
My bet is that isn't going to happen. They should go to prison. But as much as I'd like to see that happen I would prefer to heal the country.
I guess the question is... would pardoning Trump actually do anything to "heal the country".

MAGAchuds are pretty dumb, and often quite obnoxious. Even if we have clear, uncontested evidence of Trump committing crimes, it is doubtful that they will alter their behavior. A pardon won't be seen as a magnanimous gesture by the Democrats, an opportunity for the Trump supporter to say "Ok, perhaps we were wrong in voting for Stubby McBonespurs". Instead, they will probably maintain their "Liberals are snowflakes" attitude, not expressing any remorse or acknowledgement that they were suckered in by a con man.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:32 PM   #370
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
For those who feel like it, here's a handy summation of a bunch of the numbers.

To poke at one of the not so poked at numbers - $95,464

That's the total sum nine of Trump’s companies have paid as expenses to style Ivanka Trump’s hair.

I'm reminded a little of the conniption that certain groups had about AOC spending $300 on her hair out of her own pocket and fully expecting them to have not a bit to say about Ivanka's hair expenses.
Obviously the numbers on hair care is tax fraud....

...but trump was a TV star (reality tv is gross). It does appear covered to some extent. AOC, as a congressperson, has no good reason to look presentable.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:37 PM   #371
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I guess the question is... would pardoning Trump actually do anything to "heal the country".
Best guess? (And cards all down on the table face up we are in massive uncharted territory so this is all nailing Jello to the wall during an Earthquake....)

Pardoning no. It would be "better" (within the context of the question being asked) to just... like not go after him.

The best thing for the country right now is for Trump... to... go.... away. He can't be President anymore, that's obvious, but he can't hand over us like some Boogeyman that everything is a reaction to "Oh no we have to undo this because Trump, oh we have to do this so there's not another Trump*" either.

*And to be 100% clear I agree that fixing everything Trump has done and preventing another Trump is priority #1, but we have to do it in a way that doesn't look like that's what we are doing.
Old 28th September 2020, 07:49 PM   #372
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I could make my peace with letting Trump mostly off the hook if we get total transparency in return, from him and everyone around him.
Old 28th September 2020, 08:11 PM   #373
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Pardoning no. It would be "better" (within the context of the question being asked) to just... like not go after him.

The best thing for the country right now is for Trump... to... go.... away. He can't be President anymore, that's obvious, but he can't hand over us like some Boogeyman that everything is a reaction to "Oh no we have to undo this because Trump, oh we have to do this so there's not another Trump*" either.

*And to be 100% clear I agree that fixing everything Trump has done and preventing another Trump is priority #1, but we have to do it in a way that doesn't look like that's what we are doing.
Yes to all of this Joe. If I was Biden, I'd make it very clear to Trump, that he would prevent any criminal prosecution of Trump. That is as long as Trump went quietly. But if Trump worked in any way to undermine the country, then everything is on the table.
Old 28th September 2020, 08:18 PM   #374
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I just tried to imagine how that might go:
Unnamed Foreign Leader: OK Mr Trump we will forgive your debts if you tell us the US Military secrets that you learned as President.

Trump: You didn't call me "Sir"...

UFL: Talk, pig.

T: I... er... it's hydrosonic.

UFL: What?

T: The weapon. They say it's hydrosonic, but in fact it's super-duper. Not many people know that...

UFL: We need to talk specifics here "sir"...

T: Oh, well it is specific. It's the most specific super-duper hydrosonic rocket ever...

UFL: So it's a rocket?

T: I never said rocket. It might be a rocket, it might not... you know my uncle was a rocket scientist? He made big rockets, the biggest. Of, course in those days no one even knew what hydrosonic was, but we do and we got 'em. They're the best...

UFL: OK Mr Trump, I guess we'll have to take the money...

T: What money?
Heh, this just reminded me of a line from "My Favorite Martian".

"Reading her mind is like trying to read a bowl of alphabet soup. All the letters are there, but they just don't spell anything."
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 08:23 PM   #375
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here's my prediction if Trump loses the the election:

Trump pardons his entire family for all federal crimes sometime between the confirmation of Biden's win and Jan 19th, 2021.
On January 19th or just before, Trump resigns. Pence is sworn in. He pardons Trump for all federal crimes. Trump then leaves for Mar a Lago.
Or Trump feels invincible (his narcissism) and believes Biden won't bring any criminal charges the same way Obama let Bush off for war crimes and the way the administration that followed Nixon made sure he wasn't prosecuted either (though that did involve a VP change so he could get a Presidential pardon after he resigned).

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th September 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 08:29 PM   #376
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Or Trump feels invincible (his narcissism) and believes Biden won't bring any criminal charges the same way Obama let Bush off for war crimes and the way the administration that followed Nixon made sure he wasn't prosecuted either.
I know this sounds funny. But I would love that to happen. Doing that would amount to a blatant admission of guilt. Something the Trump supporters would have a problem denying.

And regardless of the immunity they gave themselves, it would allow, even encourage changes that would make it difficult for another Trump to take power.
Old 28th September 2020, 08:36 PM   #377
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I guess the question is... would pardoning Trump actually do anything to "heal the country"..
A better question is would letting Trump and his criminal enterprise off the hook do anything to "heal the country"?

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 08:47 PM   #378
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
A better question is would letting Trump and his criminal enterprise off the hook do anything to "heal the country"?
there is no reason to assume it would.

Nothing that Biden could do would be right, because he is illegitimate according to Trump.

All that Biden can do is being transparent.
Old 28th September 2020, 08:48 PM   #379
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Ron Akerman, the former Asst. Special Watergate Prosecutor and former Asst. US Attorney, SD of NY says it looks like both Trump and Ivanka engaged in classic tax fraud when Trump wrote off almost $750K in 'consulting fees' to her and she wrote them off, too. If he weren't president now, they'd both be indicted. Looks like both Daddy and First Daughter will be needing that pardon. Maybe they'll need an entire First Family pardon.
Nick Ackerman.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 08:51 PM   #380
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
For those who feel like it, here's a handy summation of a bunch of the numbers.

To poke at one of the not so poked at numbers - $95,464

That's the total sum nine of Trumpís companies have paid as expenses to style Ivanka Trumpís hair.

I'm reminded a little of the conniption that certain groups had about AOC spending $300 on her hair out of her own pocket and fully expecting them to have not a bit to say about Ivanka's hair expenses.
You call that mop "styled?" It just hangs there, all limp and straight. Someone's getting well paid for easy work.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 08:52 PM   #381
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I'm tired of a nation divided against itself. It's ok to disagree. In fact, that is not only expected, it is required for a healthy country. But this division can only bring the country down. If I was Biden, (If he wins) I would travel the country ...with a specific focus on rural America and start a real dialogue.

I would also focus on the systemic problems which allowed Trump to assault the checks and balances as he has done. This cannot happen again.
In my opinion, pardoning Trump would do nothing to heal the country. Rather, it would likely do the opposite. In a direct and immediate sense, such would be enraging to much of the country and work to embolden the bad behavior of much of the rest, which itself will make the wounds worse. Much like walking up to a guy who is wailing on a hurt guy who is not fighting back and saying "I forgive you, there will be no consequences for this" while the guy just keeps attacking is not at all conducive to healing anything at all. In a less direct sense, it would be another big confirmation of how broken and in need of fixing/burning down the current state of affairs is, which, good or bad, is not something that lends itself to healing. To jump elsewhere - Republican propagandists will certainly and shamelessly try to pound on Democrats, the government, and anyone who they feel like disagreeing with at that moment in general no matter what the situation is, regardless, and work to push their personal and collective responsibilities off onto others. So even the attempted mollification of the right part would fairly certainly end up practically worthless.

For wounds to heal, it's best if they're properly treated and cared for. Just handing out a pardon would be more akin to covering up a festering wound without treatment.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Nothing that Biden could do would be right, because he is illegitimate according to Trump the Republican Party propagandists.

The Republican Party leadership effectively as a whole, for that matter.

Last edited by Aridas; 28th September 2020 at 09:09 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 09:26 PM   #382
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Glenn Kirschner, former prosecutor, in his "Justice Matters" YT videos is pretty passionate about indicting Trump and all the criming grifters. I agree. It would be obscene to just let such a set of ruin-causing scumbags walk away Scott free after victimizing the country. If for nothing else than the abject and amoral dereliction of duty that lead to at least 100,000 needless deaths among the citizenry. But really, there's a catalog of offenses to deal with.

When people knowingly and willfully, without remorse, commit crimes, Justice cries out for retribution. If a random mugger does nothing more than take your cash, most folk want him prosecuted. Why decline to prosecute people in high office when they rip off the country, these people to whom so very much is entrusted? To me it's just insane to hold street-level criminals to a far higher standard than even the President. It seems only fair that with great power, great responsibility, and commensurate punishment.

And there's a practical outcome with punishment. To sweep bad leaders' actions under the rug for fear of national disharmony only invites others of malign intent to seek high office, knowing they'll get away with their crimes. It's like a weak parent who gives into the toddler's tantrum; once the brat knows the trick, there's no stopping it.
Old 28th September 2020, 10:08 PM   #383
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
When this is all over Trump, his family and his associates are all going to be in prison.

they will fill a whole prison wing, give them the one on the west.

<snip>

Surgery can be healing as well. If there is gangrene then leaving it in the body isn't the best treatment.

Excising the Trump clan and sycophants from society would be very healing for the country. It would show that that sort of blatant, unabashed disregard for the laws (not to mention the ethics) of the country will not go unpunished.

Quote:

Exactly. And criminal and civil punishment would have an excellent deterrent effect on those who might otherwise view the Trump presidency as a demonstration of how much sufficiently unprincipled people can get away with.

The most healing thing would be to show how little they could get away with.

The excuse to "heal the country" was what let Nixon walk away unscathed by any criminal statute, and even worse, by any significant investigation. It would not be unreasonable to argue that what we have seen during Trump's presidency is a result of letting such things go unpunished 'for the good of the country'.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 10:31 PM   #384
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I know this sounds funny. But I would love that to happen. Doing that would amount to a blatant admission of guilt. Something the Trump supporters would have a problem denying.
Really?
Old 28th September 2020, 10:57 PM   #385
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
If Pence has any designs on becoming president, pardoning Trump & family would end his hopes right there.
I don't think Pence has any chance of becoming POTUS in the first place. He doesn't have the same characteristics that drew people to Trump in the first place. He's dull. He's boring. He doesn't trigger the "libtards", etc.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 11:05 PM   #386
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Nothing that Biden could do would be right, because he is illegitimate according to Trump.

All Biden needs to do is let the appropriate criminal justice processes run their due course over Trump without fear or favour. If Trump is exonerated or convicted, Biden not step in or even, hopefully, comment.

Trump, of course, will bleat that he is being hard done by until the day he dies (all deities, please make that soon). Trump is a sore winner, we know already. So there will be no shutting him up whatever the outcomes.

The real problem will be Trump hangers-on, the Roger Stones and Rudi G's of the scene. And the Trump clan.

A suggestion I've seen floated in conversation is, in exchange for not pursuing, prosecuting or punishing any of them with US crimes, to instantly revoke their US citizenship and put them on the "illegals" deportation list. They will have to forfeit all their American real estate assets (the assumption is their bank funds are already offshore, and foreign-owned property is not within the US government ambit).

Then since they are now "illegals" without a visa, they will then be given whatever the requisite time is allowed to go find another country that will take them...I hear Russia is nice! Or Chyna... Or face deportation at the nearest border should they fail. And once they are gone, they will never be allowed re-enter the country. And they can take Roger Stone and Rudy G. with them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 11:06 PM   #387
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From Wikipedia:
According to Associate Justice Joseph McKenna, writing the majority opinion in the U.S. Supreme Court case Burdick v. United States, a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt; acceptance a confession of it."

To be honest? I don't know.

Yes, Trump would want to get away free and clear. But he is also a narcissist with a huge ego, and may think "I don't need to admit guilt... I have stacked the courts so if I appeal I will eventually hit a judge that will find me innocent".
Accepting a pardon in no way is an admittance of guilt legally. Unless convicted in a court of law, they have legally committed no crime even though pardoned despite what Burdick vs US "imputes". Trump would not have to appeal anything.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 11:25 PM   #388
Cain
Straussian

How does he win the Republican nomination if he hangs Trump out to dry? Also, a pardoning deal means he becomes president... if only for a day.
Old 28th September 2020, 11:48 PM   #389
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

MAGAchuds are pretty dumb, and often quite obnoxious. Even if we have clear, uncontested evidence of Trump committing crimes, it is doubtful that they will alter their behavior. A pardon won't be seen as a magnanimous gesture by the Democrats, an opportunity for the Trump supporter to say "Ok, perhaps we were wrong in voting for Stubby McBonespurs". Instead, they will probably maintain their "Liberals are snowflakes" attitude, not expressing any remorse or acknowledgement that they were suckered in by a con man.
If the rest of us commit the "crime" of voting Trump out of office and stealing the election, no amount of pardons will "forgive" that in the minds of the MAGA scum. It's better to bring prison and ruin down on him and everyone connected with him with culpability as a message to any of Trump's kind as to the dangers of using the presidency the way he did.
Old 28th September 2020, 11:49 PM   #390
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think Pence has any chance of becoming POTUS in the first place. He doesn't have the same characteristics that drew people to Trump in the first place. He's dull. He's boring. He doesn't trigger the "libtards", etc.
George HW was dull and boring compared to Reagan, but he still got elected. It probably depends on how things look in 2024. If the economy is roaring, he would probably have a good chance. If we're in a recession, then his odds would be low.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 11:53 PM   #391
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From Twitter:

"Give him a break. He couldn’t pay taxes because he has loan spurs."
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 12:39 AM   #392
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Peter Strzok notes that even after the President leaves office, his knowledge of the nation's deepest secrets doesn't evaporate. Trump owes as much as a half-billion dollars, some to foreign interests. What might he give up to a foreign power who offered relief?
Problem with that is the underlying assumptions that Trump has paid any attention to anything not directly related to himself and he would accurately remember what he was told. We know he can't even recall what he said at the start of his current sentence... unless it is man, woman, camera.....
Old 29th September 2020, 12:48 AM   #393
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Because distracting us into another subtopic is the only defense they have.

We know Trump drowned the man in the sparkling wine. The only thing left for his defenders to argue about is whether or not it was technically champagne.
And if it was champagne then you were lying when you said he drowned him in *wine*!
Old 29th September 2020, 01:02 AM   #394
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Here's my prediction if Trump loses the the election:

Trump pardons his entire family for all federal crimes sometime between the confirmation of Biden's win and Jan 19th, 2021.
On January 19th or just before, Trump resigns. Pence is sworn in. He pardons Trump for all federal crimes. Trump then leaves for Mar a Lago.
Or Pence turns around and says "Sir, I never promised you a pardon...."
Old 29th September 2020, 01:04 AM   #395
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Or Pence turns around and says "Sir, I never promised you a pardon...."
Given the size of President Trump's base and how vital it appears to be for the election prospects of Republicans across the board, I think that would be a tactical error.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:05 AM   #396
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
IIRC it is considered de facto evidence of tax evasion to run a business year after year that loses money. Donít at least many of Trumpís businesses, such as his golf chains, display this behavior?
Not really, if you think about the "disrupters" such as Amazon managed their disruption by losing billions and billions.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:07 AM   #397
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why? It would demonstrate that he is willing to protect those that favour him.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:36 AM   #398
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
IIRC it is considered de facto evidence of tax evasion to run a business year after year that loses money. Donít at least many of Trumpís businesses, such as his golf chains, display this behavior?
No, running a long-term loss is not evidence of tax evasion.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not really, if you think about the "disrupters" such as Amazon managed their disruption by losing billions and billions.
The difference is that Amazon racked up those losses as a public company. Their financing during those years is a matter of public record. The finances of the Trump Organization mainly come out through criminal investigations or Eric's brain farts.
Old 29th September 2020, 02:49 AM   #399
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Best guess? (And cards all down on the table face up we are in massive uncharted territory so this is all nailing Jello to the wall during an Earthquake....)

I disagree.

Going after Trump and his cronies for all their transgressions will be vital to unite the US. You guys already made this mistake before after the civil war. You need to curb the tendencies shown by Trump and his ilk. Look at deNazification in Germany after WWII for examples.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 03:54 AM   #400
Lothian
should be banned

Let me get this right. Trump is a crap businessman whose businesses are pretty much all failing. The only ones making money are a TV show and Presidency, both which presupposed him being a good businessman.

Hmmm.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics