ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , chris wallace , debates , donald trump , joe biden , presidential debates

Old 29th September 2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Watching the debate tonight?

No poll, just wondering. Obviously it won't be available or at a bad time for some of us.
Me? Certainly not. But I'm sure my wife will. I'm thinking of coming in to the office, putting some music on the computer, wearing headphones, and perhaps following a live fact-check.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:15 PM   #2
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Probably not. Watching two has-beens that are well past their prime accuse each other of being senile sounds much too depressing for me.

I wonder who these debates are even for. Who can possibly be undecided at this point?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th September 2020 at 01:17 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

I plan on following the live chat 538 puts out. I can't stand listening to Trump speak, so I don't plan on watching it live.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:17 PM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I literally can't imagine what purpose it is going to serve.

The campaign has already been going on for months, years if we want to be honest. There's no new information about the candidates to cme out.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:18 PM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone here changed their vote because of a debate?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:22 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Probably not. Watching two has-beens that are well past their prime accuse each other of being senile sounds much too depressing for me.

I wonder who these debates are even for. Who can possibly be undecided at this point?
And hearing canned answers and prewritten gotchas shouldn't influence an informed voter either.

Pretty sure these things are for our 'nice guy to have a beer with' crowd. Who, incidentally, should be barred from voting.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:24 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly the only reason to watch the debate would be if you have in mind something specific that either of them could plausibly say or do, that would change your mind about them. And it would have to be something that you couldn't find out just as easily the next day from the transcript or the reporting about the debate.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:30 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A person might decide not to vote for either of these guys.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:32 PM   #9
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Watching with my Guatemalan buddies. Obviously a lot concern because most have many family members living in the US. Always interesting to get their perspectives. I'll need to do a lot of translating, me thinks.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:32 PM   #10
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I will. It will be at 2:30am my time if I'm not misinformed - the right time for the expected comedy gold.
Old 29th September 2020, 01:34 PM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. It's at 3am Norwegian time, and while I may be awake then as I don't have work tomorrow, I can't stand seeing or hearing Trump, and I'm too terrified it'll go badly for Biden somehow. I'll read the summaries tomorrow morning.

It's like that trainwreck analogy, only my reaction is the opposite -- instead of not being able to look away, I don't want to watch it. Can't stand Trump, no particular interest in Biden. Also, as was said, who is really undecided at this point.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

^ he's right. The debate will be at 9pm Eastern Daylight Time which is 3am Central European Summer Time.
Old 29th September 2020, 02:18 PM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'll have it on, listening while I'm doing something else. I think there will be some interesting turns tonight as each candidate goes for the jugular. The follow-up debates, not so much.
Old 29th September 2020, 02:32 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No poll, just wondering. Obviously it won't be available or at a bad time for some of us.
Me? Certainly not. But I'm sure my wife will. I'm thinking of coming in to the office, putting some music on the computer, wearing headphones, and perhaps following a live fact-check.
Because you can't really stay away, can you?

I'll be watching.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 02:33 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I hope Biden is not going to be accusing Trump of being senile.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 02:34 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I plan on following the live chat 538 puts out. I can't stand listening to Trump speak, so I don't plan on watching it live.
That's what mute is for. And if you want you can read the closed captions.

Old 29th September 2020, 02:38 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Nope. It's at 3am Norwegian time, and while I may be awake then as I don't have work tomorrow, I can't stand seeing or hearing Trump, and I'm too terrified it'll go badly for Biden somehow. I'll read the summaries tomorrow morning.

It's like that trainwreck analogy, only my reaction is the opposite -- instead of not being able to look away, I don't want to watch it. Can't stand Trump, no particular interest in Biden. Also, as was said, who is really undecided at this point.
I would not get up to watch this if it was after I went to bed either. I'll only be staying up tonight to be sure to catch the Colbert Report. And maybe I'll stay of for Seth Meyer's monologue, but not for his guests.

Old 29th September 2020, 02:45 PM   #18
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

It will be the middle of the day here, so I'll probably have a look. I'm thinking of maybe making a drinking game out of it. Any suggestions? What merits a shot of booze?
Trump sniffing?
Trump interrupting?
Key words?
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 02:50 PM   #19
Kaylee
Illuminator

No, having our choice come down to one of these two men is extremely depressing. I'll skim some articles tomorrow but I can't bear the thought of having to listen to every single word in real time. It will be difficult enough to vote for the one I consider the lesser of two extremely bad alternatives.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 02:51 PM   #20
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I would watch to see if Trump's head explodes, or Biden's for that matter. It would be an event people would be talking about - did you see Trump's head explode? - and people would have to pretend they did, rather than relying on the 50,000 times the clip would be presented across various platforms. But that's about the only reason I'd watch. Oh, and I'm curious about Chris Wallace's moderation. I think I'll ask Mom if she wants to watch or maybe flip a coin.

ETA: Or just watch SG's running commentary ...
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 02:56 PM   #21
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Ok, so what is the drinking game for tonight?

Drink everytime... what?
Old 29th September 2020, 03:01 PM   #22
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I plan on watching unless it gets to where I just can't stomach it any longer. I enjoyed watching Hillary wipe with floor with Trump. This one? Anything could happen. And I mean anything.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 03:05 PM   #23
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I'm thinking of maybe making a drinking game out of it. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Ok, so what is the drinking game for tonight?

Drink everytime... what?

I suggest

Biden
Corona
Uhm

Trump
China
Ukraine

PROST!
Old 29th September 2020, 03:07 PM   #24
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

tbh it's also that I obsess about the US election way too much as I do. It's bad enough that I check sides like 538 and 270towin.com many times a day. It's just getting to be too much. I don't even read news articles too much anymore, not to mention newspaper comments threads.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 03:07 PM   #25
portlandatheist
Illuminator

I won't be watching the debate tonight because I need to feed my goldfish and organize my sock drawer.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 03:12 PM   #26
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I suggest

Biden
Corona
Uhm

Trump
China
Ukraine

PROST!
Are you trying to get me drunk?
Old 29th September 2020, 03:17 PM   #27
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I've got wine and snacks ready and will be posting live commentary.
Old 29th September 2020, 03:21 PM   #28
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I'm already a bit drunk myself, and for your safety I cut out "booze" from Brainache's post. I have a nice, dry Dornfelder red wine here on which I will survive every Uhm Biden possibly can utter if I sip.
Old 29th September 2020, 03:23 PM   #29
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I'm already a bit drunk myself, and for your safety I cut out "booze" from Brainache's post. I have a nice, dry Dornfelder red wine here on which I will survive every Uhm Biden possibly can utter if I sip.
I'm actually bartending at my bar tonight, so I'm in for a tough one. All the locals will be out and a few ex-pats who live in the area, too. I asked a friend to open the bar for me tomorrow, as I'm not likely to make it in before noon.. *sigh*
Old 29th September 2020, 03:33 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Drinking game words:

Trump: radical

Biden: covid/coronavirus
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 03:39 PM   #31
Elagabalus
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 03:50 PM   #32
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I have a feeling that both of these baby boomers are going to avoid using the word cicada tonight. Also sad that David Bowie died as he could have lent a hand for keeping the debate on track. He was good for that and singing, but you can't just start singing now that we have Covid-19. I hope something really funny happens to make everyone laugh and remind us that we are all exactly the same even if some are horribly different.
Old 29th September 2020, 04:02 PM   #33
Mumbles
Philosopher

Nope, I decided not to vote for anyone involved with Dolt 45 roughly a decade ago, back when he was supposed to speak at the RNC, so I'm l'm long past decided.

I may watch the VP debate to watch Harris eviscerate Pence, though, that should be amusing.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 04:05 PM   #34
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Nope, I decided not to vote for anyone involved with Dolt 45 roughly a decade ago, back when he was supposed to speak at the RNC, so I'm l'm long past decided.

I may watch the VP debate to watch Harris eviscerate Pence, though, that should be amusing.
As was said above, I think we are all long decided. The only interest to me is of the train-wreck variety.
Old 29th September 2020, 04:40 PM   #35
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If Biden shows any signs of tiredness, it's because he's "Sleepy Joe". If he shows up animated and ready, it's because he's on "performance-enhancing drugs".

That said, I wonder why they decided to start it so late (9pm local time). Hell, even I'm in bed by then sometimes. If it's planned for two hours, that's getting done at 11pm. Of course, Trump hardly sleeps because of his "performance-enhancing drugs", but Biden might not be used to chatting it up that late.

I'd probably rather see the Director's Cut of the proceedings -- the one that edits out all the Trump repetition. Because he says everything three times in the same paragraph.

I saw the CNN anchors last night sighing and rolling their eyes about having to be up until 1 or 2 am tonight just to cover the aftermath.

Last edited by alfaniner; 29th September 2020 at 04:42 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 04:46 PM   #36
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Possibly the only reason to watch the debate would be if you have in mind something specific that either of them could plausibly say or do, that would change your mind about them. And it would have to be something that you couldn't find out just as easily the next day from the transcript or the reporting about the debate.
I hope Trump ***** up and starts blabbering incoherently.

If only to swing a few undecideds still around.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 04:49 PM   #37
Cain
Straussian

Personally, I can't wait to not watch it. The sooner it's over, the better.

Predictions: Biden botches one of his pre-written zingers. Trump praises his administration as one of the best in history, grading himself an A-plus. He also says a lot of other dumb ****. Oh, and he's expected not just to repeat old lies but create new ones.
Old 29th September 2020, 04:51 PM   #38
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Personally, I can't wait to not watch it. The sooner it's over, the better.

Predictions: Biden botches one of his pre-written zingers. Trump praises his administration as one of the best in history, grading himself an A-plus. He also says a lot of other dumb ****. Oh, and he's expected not just to repeat old lies but create new ones.
Well, reports are that Trump isn't prepping too hard because he believes in himself so much. That means many, many old and new falsehoods tonight. My bar is already full. 70%Guatemaltecos and 30% ex-pats, only one of whom is a Trumper (I will not say it out loud beacuse I don't want a dead body on my property).
Old 29th September 2020, 04:54 PM   #39
angrysoba
Philosophile

...Mrs Robinson?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 04:55 PM   #40
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If Biden shows any signs of tiredness, it's because he's "Sleepy Joe". If he shows up animated and ready, it's because he's on "performance-enhancing drugs".
Yep. That's Trump's MO. Poison the narrative from the beginning.

Sleepy Joe's on drugs!

If we lose, the election's rigged!

Etc...
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics