ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , chris wallace , debates , donald trump , joe biden , presidential debates

Old 29th September 2020, 08:01 PM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
So every network doing a postmortem . What's the consensus? Person, woman, man-child, TV?
I shifted between our 3 local stations: ABC, NBC and CBS. Pretty much Biden did a much better job. But an awful lot of people hated the whole thing. For me those two results are not incompatible.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:02 PM   #162
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

I'm a bit surprised that Biden threw the "Green New Deal" under the bus. Joe Biden: "The Green New Deal is not my plan ... No, I don’t support the Green New Deal."
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:09 PM   #163
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'd also like someone to ask Trump, which country, which leader? Because Trump is lying.
Anytime one of his quotes starts with "Sir,..." that's the clue it's a lie.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:09 PM   #164
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Until this very moment I had assumed that 538 was a dispassionate number crunching organization. I had no idea they were also doing opinions.
To be clear, 538 had a running blog with several participants from various points on the political spectrum. The opinions expressed were those of the bloggers and NOT 538. I could have made that clearer.

I'm sure the blog roll will persist so you can check for yourself.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:16 PM   #165
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Anytime one of his quotes starts with "Sir,..." that's the clue it's a lie.
I thought the clue was that his lips are moving and noises are coming out of his throat.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:17 PM   #166
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
That was a ridiculous question by Wallace
Based on tonight's performance, Wallace should be fired. Or at least demoted to covfefe boy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:18 PM   #167
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
These are your best two candidates to lead the nation over the next four years? You are absolutely ******.

Yes.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:20 PM   #168
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
From Twitter

Mike Reese
@SheriffReese
In tonight’s presidential debate the President said the “Portland Sheriff” supports him. As the Multnomah County Sheriff I have never supported Donald Trump and will never support him.
Likely he meant Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell (Who supports President Trump). Since Portland does not have a Sheriff in charge of their local police force this should be easy to understand. But yes this small mixup will undoubtedly be seen as scandalous of course. Victory! Trump lied!
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:22 PM   #169
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Woody Allen once said that 90% of life is just showing up, and Biden was there.

Some Trump fans suggested that he might be a no-show.

I think he did fine, and Trump didn't come off particularly well. He kept trying to talk over Biden and rebut Biden when it was Biden's turn to speak. The moderator had to ask him to stop repeatedly. If Biden was going to have a "senior moment" this constantly trying to interrupt him would make it difficult for that to happen. I think he came off as a boor and a bully. Biden did well enough that I don't think he will lose support. I don't think anyone's mind was changed by what either candidate said.

To be sure, I don't think Biden is a good debater and his performance wasn't very impressive, but the bar was set so low that just showing up was almost enough. And also, Trump was just Trump. I don't think he scored any knockout.

Are there really still any undecided voters who were waiting to watch the debates before making up their mind? If so, will this help them to decide?
Old 29th September 2020, 08:26 PM   #170
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
These are your best two candidates to lead the nation over the next four years? You are absolutely ******.
We could have had that nice young gay man who went to Harvard, but the voters chose Biden.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:27 PM   #171
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Biden threw the "Green New Deal" under the bus. Joe Biden: "The Green New Deal is not my plan ... No, I don’t support the Green New Deal."
You shouldn't be. Despite Trump's blather, Biden is no far left liberal. The Green New Deal is fine if viewed as some idealistic view but it's poison as public policy so Biden has been public about not supporting it.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:30 PM   #172
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I think he did fine, and Trump didn't come off particularly well. He kept trying to talk over Biden and rebut Biden when it was Biden's turn to speak. The moderator had to ask him to stop repeatedly. If Biden was going to have a "senior moment" this constantly trying to interrupt him would make it difficult for that to happen. I think he came off as a boor and a bully. Biden did well enough that I don't think he will lose support. I don't think anyone's mind was changed by what either candidate said.

To be sure, I don't think Biden is a good debater and his performance wasn't very impressive, but the bar was set so low that just showing up was almost enough. And also, Trump was just Trump. I don't think he scored any knockout.

Are there really still any undecided voters who were waiting to watch the debates before making up their mind? If so, will this help them to decide?
When Rick Santorum pans Trump's performance, going so far as to say Trump hurt himself, that suggests you're not seeing just how unhinged that performance was.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:30 PM   #173
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'm not saying the lack of moderation led to that being a total wreck but Gordon Lightfoot has already penned the lyrics to a somber retelling of the events.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:33 PM   #174
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Why is the Trump family allowed to not wear masks in the debate hall while everyone else follows the rules?
They did actually walk in with them on. I did see most of the people sitting in that area (including a smirking Gym "I know they're doing it just for the show" Jordan) not wearing them.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:36 PM   #175
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
You shouldn't be. Despite Trump's blather, Biden is no far left liberal. The Green New Deal is fine if viewed as some idealistic view but it's poison as public policy so Biden has been public about not supporting it.
The base that supports the "Green New Deal" is not going to be happy about this.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:37 PM   #176
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Based on tonight's performance, Wallace should be fired. Or at least demoted to covfefe boy.
Tbf, Joe Rogan would have sucked too.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:37 PM   #177
Cain
Straussian

Trump is dropping in the prediction markets. The gap was eight cents midway into the debate, but now it's a 16 cents. I blame the media. It's ridiculous how unfair they are to Trump, even after everything he's done for Israel.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:38 PM   #178
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
When Rick Santorum pans Trump's performance, going so far as to say Trump hurt himself, that suggests you're not seeing just how unhinged that performance was.
I haven't seen any post-debate spin from pundits yet. I wasn't able to watch the whole thing because I have work to do, but from what I was able to watch, I agree. However, I have become inured to it, and this is what I expect from Trump, so I wasn't surprised. I hope he's right that Trump hurt himself, but I really have a hard time believing that there's still any voters out there who were keeping an open mind until the debates and thus might actually change their vote because of this performance.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:40 PM   #179
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The base that supports the "Green New Deal" is not going to be happy about this.
They'll still vote for Biden though.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:42 PM   #180
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It was Trump's rude interruptions that I remember the most.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:45 PM   #181
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The thing is the Green New Deal is merely aspirational. As a whole it is unsupportable. But there are aspects that are good.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:45 PM   #182
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Astounding that this needs pointing but that there you are.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:46 PM   #183
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A certain percentage of conservatives, particularly military people, still believes in playing by the rules. I suspect they were not only appalled by Trump's performance, but are thinking to themselves "If this guy behaves like this when he's on TV, what's he like in the Oval Office?"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:50 PM   #184
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm not saying the lack of moderation led to that being a total wreck but Gordon Lightfoot has already penned the lyrics to a somber retelling of the events.
The debate appears to have killed Helen Reddy.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:52 PM   #185
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

They'll still vote for Biden though.
Why would they? If the chosen Democratic candidate has the same views on the "Green New Deal" as the current President, what's in it for those that support it? "Don't tread on me" may realize a new meaning in this day and age instead of stepping on a rattlesnake, it may become the motto of those who seem to be thrown under the bus time and time again by the Democratic leadership.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:56 PM   #186
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump came across as a child who simply cannot control himself. His constant scowl revealed that he was not happy that he was not in control of the situation. I also think this should put to bed any nonsense that Biden has dementia. While this was neither's finest hour, I'd say Biden did far better than Trump who came across like a petulant child.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:57 PM   #187
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
The debate appears to have killed Helen Reddy.
OK, I like to think I'm fairly astute, but you have to explain this one.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 08:58 PM   #188
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Why would they? If the chosen Democratic candidate has the same views on the "Green New Deal" as the current President, what's in it for those that support it? "Don't tread on me" may realize a new meaning in this day and age instead of stepping on a rattlesnake, it may become the motto of those who seem to be thrown under the bus time and time again by the Democratic leadership.

The Green New Deal is a set of goals. Someone can support reducing dependence on fossil fuels and resisting climate change without buying into every "green" proposal. The key difference between Biden and Trump is that Biden accepts the fact of climate change and global warming, and Trump doesn't. Nowhere close to "the same."

Last edited by Bob001; 29th September 2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 29th September 2020, 08:59 PM   #189
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Sorry to say . . .

Quote:
Helen Reddy: Australian singer of feminist anthem I Am Woman dies.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 09:00 PM   #190
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I loved how the final image was a split screen -- Trump scowling, and Biden smiling.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:01 PM   #191
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

She just died.
Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Helen Reddy, who shot to stardom in the 1970s with her feminist anthem “I Am Woman” and recorded a string of other hits, has died. She was 78.
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...geles-n1241504
Old 29th September 2020, 09:01 PM   #192
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You probably don't remember her. She was a feminist icon in the 70s with her song "I am woman." She passed away today. She was 78.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:02 PM   #193
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I loved how the final image was a split screen -- Trump scowling, and Biden smiling.
The whole damn debate was a split screen here. Maybe you saw something different?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 09:02 PM   #194
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You probably don't remember her. She was a feminist icon in the 70s with her song "I am woman." She passed away today. She was 78.
I was ninja'd.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:03 PM   #195
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Helen Reddy: Australian singer of feminist anthem I Am Woman dies.
I have the feeling that song will make a prominent resurgence in the next few days, and hang on for at least five weeks or so.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:03 PM   #196
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You must have watched a different debate than I did.
I don't think so. Biden didn't bring the heat, even when he was making some cutting remarks, he came across as a milquetoast, he fumbled his words (beyond his stutter) and spoke in generalities. He also didn't cite enough sources on most issues.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 09:04 PM   #197
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The whole damn debate was a split screen here. Maybe you saw something different?
I was addressing the images and their own perceived result of the debate, not the damn screen format.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:04 PM   #198
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm old enough. I actually saw her live (as an opening act). I hadn't heard.
Old 29th September 2020, 09:05 PM   #199
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Likely he meant Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell (Who supports President Trump). Since Portland does not have a Sheriff in charge of their local police force this should be easy to understand. But yes this small mixup will undoubtedly be seen as scandalous of course. Victory! Trump lied!
That was the least offensive of his lies.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 09:06 PM   #200
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I was addressing the images and their own perceived result of the debate, not the damn screen format.
Fair enough - but how would I know that?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics