ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 2nd October 2020, 10:31 AM   #361
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

For Trump, I think the actual worst electoral nightmare scenario would be if someone in his entourage dies from it.

Suppose this scenario:

He attended a fundraiser after he knew Hope Hicks was positive, and when he may have already even had symptoms himself, though undiagnosed as Covid symptoms. If it's a fundraiser this close to an election with POTUS actually present, I'm picturing a bunch of old, rich, white guys. One of them catches Covid, and dies.

The children of old rich white guy Republicans are often outspoken liberals. One of those children gets on TV and basically says, "My dad is dead because Trump cared more about getting campaign money than keeping people safe. He knew he had been exposed, but he didn't care."

Ahh, but this is all speculation. There are so many ways this can play out that could have significant effects on the election, or like so many other things we have thought were important in the last four years, it might not move the needle at all. We'll all have to stay tuned for further developments.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:33 AM   #362
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hey, if the Pres is incapacitated temporarily for illness, does the Veep run the show till he recovers? I was putting the moves on a blonde in high school Civics class and missed that particular procedure
Yes. There's a process where the veep can be named as acting President when POTUS is incapacitated. I don't know if it actually says "acting president" on the paperwork.

It has been used a couple of times when the President goes under sedation for a medical procedure, but those were always brief periods.

ETA: Looked it up. It's in the 25th amendment. In section 3 it says that the President can declare that he can't discharge the duties of the office for a period of time, and the vice president then becomes acting President. In section 4 it describes a much more complicated procedure for when the President doesn't make that declaration, but the Veep and the cabinet think he's incapable of discharging his duties, they can declare the Vice President as the acting President. There's a lot more fine print in that section.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 2nd October 2020 at 10:41 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:35 AM   #363
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
But then they’ll need to actually follow through on that and the vaccine will actually have to work.
They only need to carry that impression through Election Day. After that it doesn't matter.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:36 AM   #364
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Hey, if the Pres is incapacitated temporarily for illness, does the Veep run the show till he recovers? I was putting the moves on a blonde in high school Civics class and missed that particular procedure
No....and maybe. The President has to sign a letter transferring power or the cabinet must vote that yes the President is incapacitated. Only in the event of those two events or the President dying does the VP take charge.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:37 AM   #365
grunion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
But then they’ll need to actually follow through on that and the vaccine will actually have to work.
Why do you presume he will be held accountable for any claim that he makes that wins him the election?
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:38 AM   #366
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If there were a god and she was angry at Trump the golden calf ...

NPR
Quote:
In the past week alone, Trump has held rallies in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Minnesota; welcomed his Supreme Court nominee to the White House; and, of course, traveled to Ohio for Tuesday's presidential debate. Along the way, he came into close contact with countless White House officials and supporters.
Even if she's not infected, I wonder how her quarantine will affect her Senate confirmation? They have a month after the election but there goes that Trump fantasy the SCOTUS is going to install him.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd October 2020 at 10:55 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:38 AM   #367
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Yes. There's a process where the veep can be named as acting President when POTUS is incapacitated. I don't know if it actually says "acting president" on the paperwork.

It has been used a couple of times when the President goes under sedation for a medical procedure, but those were always brief periods.
The President signs a letter giving the VP authority when he goes under sedation. Without the letter, nothing happens.

I see you added to your post. You ninja'd me.

Last edited by acbytesla; 2nd October 2020 at 10:40 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:40 AM   #368
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

"They told me 'Sir, we've never seen such a tremendous and powerful recovery like yours, ever. The likes of which have never been seen before... So strong, such a strong immune system, we've never seen anything like it.' You think Sleepy Joe would have recovered as fantastic as I did? "
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:43 AM   #369
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's borderline criminal that Trump was aware he was exposed to the coronavirus by Hope Hicks, who tested positive on Wed but he still traveled to a fundraiser on Thursday. "where one attendee said POTUS came in contact with about 100 people" & he was having symptoms

Maggie Haberman NYT wrote
"Trump is said to have minor symptoms. He was lethargic at the Bedminster fundraiser, per an attendee. As of last night, officials were discussing treatment options as well as options for addressing the nation." https://nytimes.com/live/2020/10/02/...e=articleShare
So when attenders who met him start keeling over, how many families will seriously consider suing him?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:43 AM   #370
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
They only need to carry that impression through Election Day. After that it doesn't matter.
Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Why do you presume he will be held accountable for any claim that he makes that wins him the election?
Two-thirds of the electorate already don’t trust what Trump says about the coronavirus, including all the times he claimed there would soon be a vaccine available soon.

I don’t see how this would move the needle on that.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:48 AM   #371
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

For Trump, I think the actual worst electoral nightmare scenario would be if someone in his entourage dies from it.

Suppose this scenario:

He attended a fundraiser after he knew Hope Hicks was positive, and when he may have already even had symptoms himself, though undiagnosed as Covid symptoms. If it's a fundraiser this close to an election with POTUS actually present, I'm picturing a bunch of old, rich, white guys. One of them catches Covid, and dies.
It is possible that they did not tell Trump at first. They knew...but did he?
Perhaps they thought it best to wait for a confirming test to make sure it was not false positive or something or they just didnt want to cancel. Canceling would pop up the red flags right away and take away 'options'. Those options disappeared when Hicks test results leaked to the media.

Recall that RBG died as Trump was on his way to a rally and they didnt tell him. He found out after. This was likely so he would keep focused (as far as that is even possible with Trump).

Last edited by Sherkeu; 2nd October 2020 at 10:49 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:49 AM   #372
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
Two-thirds of the electorate already don’t trust what Trump says about the coronavirus, including all the times he claimed there would soon be a vaccine available soon.

I don’t see how this would move the needle on that.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:53 AM   #373
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Mark Meadows this morning: "The President does have mild symptoms."

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:03 AM   #374
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Recall that RBG died as Trump was on his way to a rally and they didnt tell him. He found out after. This was likely so he would keep focused (as far as that is even possible with Trump).
I read a report that said his aides chose not to interrupt him during the rally because they feared that the crowd would cheer when they heard the news, and that wouldn't be a good image.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:09 AM   #375
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Nobody has access to better care. But that doesn't mean he'll avail himself of it. A lot of people are just bad patients, no matter what the quality of their care. Trump is the sort of person who'd eat before a surgery, lie about it, then barf up cheeseburger and breathe it into his lungs while under anesthesia. That's very irritating for the surgeons.

Consider this: Trump also has access to the best hair stylists. How's that working out for him?

I totally read that as "eat before a sugary!"

Of course, I read that after I read Craig4's post:

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He eats and lives like a poor person though. No exercise, no fruit or veggies in his diet. He probably has the same health problems as people who live in food deserts and have to eat food high in salt, sugar and fat.
where Trump lives in a food dessert.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:14 AM   #376
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Suppose this scenario:

The children of old rich white guy Republicans are often outspoken liberals. One of those children gets on TV and basically says, "My dad is dead because Trump cared more about getting campaign money than keeping people safe. He knew he had been exposed, but he didn't care."

Ahh, but this is all speculation. There are so many ways this can play out that could have significant effects on the election, or like so many other things we have thought were important in the last four years, it might not move the needle at all. We'll all have to stay tuned for further developments.
Or maybe a black supporter, a former candidate for President and businessman, gets it at one of his unmasked rallies! Oh, wait, that already happened. And his family has just gone on tweeting in his name.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:16 AM   #377
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
I can't help picturing Trump wandering the WH halls in a giant hamster ball.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:19 AM   #378
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Shemp, if you lived closer, I would take you out for a celebratory cocktail.
Here, have one on me!

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:22 AM   #379
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Chris Wallace could have made quite a public statement if he had insisted on wearing a mask himself at the debate.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:38 AM   #380
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BREAKING NEWS: Lindsey Graham just tested negative for testicles.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:40 AM   #381
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The people behind the botched coronavirus response that resulted in the preventable deaths of thousands of people still have no idea.

Atthe presser today "Why aren't you wearing a mask right now?" a reporter asks chief of staff Mark Meadows as he briefs on Trump's COVID-19 test.

"I've obviously been tested, We're hopefully more than six feet away, We have protocols in place"
http://abcn.ws/2SkbcJn
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:42 AM   #382
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Trump is really in risky territory, election aside. He has almost all the risk factors.

74 years old, male, obese, shouty, stressed, on medication.

Just not sure about his lung function, being so shouty.
Which kind of proves that this was engineered in a Chinese lab. It's mite odd people would refuse to take precautions for a manufactured pathogen, but it is what it is.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:54 AM   #383
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I just heard some good news. Trump appears to be symptomatic early in the infection. According to a couple of ER docs, that's a likely indication of serious disease. Also, he didn't participate in scheduled call that the Chief of Staff said he would participate in. With any luck, his symptoms are becoming more than just mild.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:56 AM   #384
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Or maybe a black supporter, a former candidate for President and businessman, gets it at one of his unmasked rallies! Oh, wait, that already happened. And his family has just gone on tweeting in his name.
Good point.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:01 PM   #385
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I just heard some good news. Trump appears to be symptomatic early in the infection. According to a couple of ER docs, that's a likely indication of serious disease. Also, he didn't participate in scheduled call that the Chief of Staff said he would participate in. With any luck, his symptoms are becoming more than just mild.
"Mildly symptomatic." Still within the realm of hoax.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:03 PM   #386
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I wish him a speedy non-recovery.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:05 PM   #387
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dr. David Samadi, MD tweeted
@drdavidsamadi
Always remember the survival rates of this virus per the CDC.
0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70 & over: 94.6%
I would put POTUS in the 20-49 category due to his strength and stamina.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:06 PM   #388
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I'm guessing that the first few posts in this thread are typical of the rest. The amount of cheering and ill wishing is unprecedented and it would be hard to find a comparable scenario if I godwinned this thread. Much as we would prefer Tweedledum to Tweedledee, I see no reason to make it so personal.

Has anybody considered that anything that keeps Trump out of circulation would be good for his re-election chances?
*Claps* Bring him one of the prepared clutching pearls!

You see this is why I thought ahead and had the pearl brought out.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:10 PM   #389
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So when attenders who met him start keeling over, how many families will seriously consider suing him?

A large majority of people who catch the virus do not keel over. For many people, the symptoms are mild enough they either don't realize they've caught the virus or are able to successfully deny to themselves they've caught it. It's a small percentage who show serious symptoms and need to be hospitalized and an even smaller percentage who die. So unless Trump's rallies are as large as he fantasizes, the number of people who attended the rallies who come down with a serious enough case of Covid-19 that they're no longer able to deny it to themselves and the people around them is going to be pretty small.

And most of these are very likely people who routinely go around not wearing masks and not maintaining social distancing, on a daily basis. So even if the come down with Covid-19 after attending a Trump rally, there'll be no way of knowing if they caught it by attending the rally or from one of the many other times they failed to take reasonable precautions.

Some of Trump's staff members who catch the virus might be able to bring a successful suit against him for his part in establishing and maintaining an unsafe work environment which they had to be part of or lose their job. But I think it would be much harder for people who voluntarily chose to attend a Trump rally and voluntarily chose to engage in reckless behavior while attending the rally to bring a successful suit against Trump even if they do come down with a severe case of covid soon after attending the rally.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:12 PM   #390
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm going to start a list of people infected in the current outbreak. Feel free to add names as they come up.

Hope Hicks
Trump
Melanie
Ronna McDaniel, chairwoman of the RNC
Utah Sen. Mike Lee
University of Notre Dame President Rev. John I. Jenkins (the spreader even might have started a week or more ago and Jenkins may have been the superspreader as 5 attendees of SCOTUS nomination at Rose Garden test positive for COVID-19)
Unnamed people: Journalists who work at the White House are testing positive for Covid-19

Old 2nd October 2020, 12:14 PM   #391
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

"Mildly symptomatic." Still within the realm of hoax.
For this to be a hoax, Melania would have to be in on it. Of the few things I'm sure of, one of them is that Melania has no interest, whatsoever in being in the East Wing Apartments with her husband for two weeks.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:17 PM   #392
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm going to start a list of people infected in the current outbreak. Feel free to add names as they come up.

Hope Hicks
Trump
Melanie
Ronna McDaniel, chairwoman of the RNC
Utah Sen. Mike Lee
University of Notre Dame President Rev. John I. Jenkins (the spreader even might have started a week or more ago and Jenkins may have been the superspreader as 5 attendees of SCOTUS nomination at Rose Garden test positive for COVID-19)
Unnamed people: Journalists who work at the White House are testing positive for Covid-19
Two new (currently unidentified) members of the White House staff have tested positive, according to CNN. This might be unnamed Journalists mentioned though, the article isn't 100% clear.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:18 PM   #393
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I feel it's important to have a certain reverence for the housekeepers, bellmen, janitors, maintenance staff, and apolitical career government employees who work to support the White House without regard to who is president. I have no problem enjoying the suffering of Trumptrash. However, we should always be respectful of the Americans, these scum put in harms way.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:18 PM   #394
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
... But I think it would be much harder for people who voluntarily chose to attend a Trump rally and voluntarily chose to engage in reckless behavior while attending the rally to bring a successful suit against Trump even if they do come down with a severe case of covid soon after attending the rally.

Oops! I see now that I'm mistaken.

My apologies; I didn't read the post I was replying to carefully enough. It's not talking about the many rallies Trump did previously, it's talking about the rally Trump did Thursday after knowing he was very likely a carrier. That's criminal negligence on his part, and anyone who came near him during that rally and who later comes down with covid would have a very good case against him
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:18 PM   #395
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Seeing as how we now have legit cases branching out from Trump at the White House, I doubt it's a hoax although Hope Hick might have been patient zero and not Trump himself, although really who knows with disease spread.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:20 PM   #396
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

@drdavidsamadi
You left off "retweet if you agree"

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 2nd October 2020 at 12:28 PM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:25 PM   #397
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Really curious how he tries to spin this like he is in control during election season.

I only like presidents who don't go out of their way to contract viruses
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:30 PM   #398
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
@drdavidsamadi
.. and in the 0-19 due to his actions.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:30 PM   #399
Monza
Alta Viro

So has Trump tweeted anything since his announcement tweet? I'm wondering if the "mild symptoms" is true and he is not feeling well at all. You'd think he'd be reasonably happy sitting in his bed, watching TV, and sending out a dozen tweets per hour.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:31 PM   #400
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

After a good night's sleep where I had blissful dreams of Trump being on a ventilator, I'll say this: I don't want Trump to die. I want him to be on a ventilator for a couple weeks but to recover. I want him to suffer bigly the humiliation of a historically resounding electoral defeat...the likes of which the US has never seen...to put it in Trumpian terms. I want him to slink out of the WH and into the waiting arms of the Attorney General of the State of New York. I want him to be exposed for the cheat he is and always has been and I want him to finally suffer the consequences for his actions.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics