ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 1st October 2020, 10:25 PM   #41
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Without doubt.

Don’t underestimate the sympathy votes which might flow his way though. “Poor Donnie, leading from the front where he gets the virus, while Biden locks himself in his home”.
I doubt there's much sympathy coming from people who weren't committed to voting for that moron from day #1.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:25 PM   #42
slyjoe
Master Poster

Will Biden have to quarantine? They must have shook hands sometime before or after the debate.
The rules of the first debate specifically said they would NOT shake hands.

The regulations also said audience members would wear masks. Guess who didn't?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:28 PM   #43
autumn1971
Illuminator

Good. Hope he dies slowly and painfully
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:29 PM   #44
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Who in here is thinking, just for second, that it might be just a stunt?

Him getting through this without any health problems would surely give him a boost and would also divert any other headlines for some weeks.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:30 PM   #45
Scopedog
Muse

They'll probably get convalescent plasma or some other experimental treatment or therapeutic.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:30 PM   #46
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It also seems that Trump meets at least some of the characteristics of a "super spreader" which includes being large, sweaty, shouty and maskless. I have just finished "Rage" and, not to anyone's surprise, his propensity to lurch into a long, loud rant at anyone who dares disagree is legendary. I'll bet a lot of his staff test positive.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:33 PM   #47
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The rules of the first debate specifically said they would NOT shake hands.

The regulations also said audience members would wear masks. Guess who didn't?
Okay, thanks. I imagined they would have passed each other and instinctively shook hands. Perhaps not.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:33 PM   #48
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I feel no guilt about celebrating this. US democracy is being destroyed by this fascist lunatic. On top of which, if he wins the election and continues his policy of "herd mentality", that could cost millions of lives. If I was a believer, I'd be thanking God.
Not only am I not feeling guilty about having a huge Fozzie Bear smile stuck on my face right now, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he gets as deathly ill as possible with this thing without actually dying.

This guy desperately needs to come as close to dying as possible, he needs a good strong dose of terror injected into his veins. It's the only way he's ever going to do an about-face on how serious he needs to take this coronavirus thing. If he starts to take it seriously, then so too will his faithful cult following.

If that happens, everyone benefits. Full stop.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:33 PM   #49
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I love the smell of schadenfreude in the morning.....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:34 PM   #50
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

What goes around comes around. I hope it's really hurting him.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:34 PM   #51
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post

Him getting through this without any health problems would surely give him a boost and would also divert any other headlines for some weeks.
It's a real possibility in order to divert attention from the disastrous debate headlines. I don't put anything past the Liar-in Chief.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:41 PM   #52
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Can't help think that it would be the easy way out for the GOP if their entire ******** of a leadership would have to retire due to health problems.
I just pee'd a wee bit in my knickers from getting so excited at the thought of such a thing.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:42 PM   #53
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I don't. I want him to lose in a landslide and have to face the entire world seeing what a failure he is and laughing at him. And then I want him to go to prison, along with his crotch-goblins Eric, Ivanka, and Junior. I want him to die in prison penniless.

And also, I don't want the trash in his cult to have a martyr.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:45 PM   #54
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Will Biden have to quarantine? They must have shook hands sometime before or after the debate.
Oh crap, they didn't shake hands but they were definitely in the same room together, unmasked, for 90 minutes while Trump was blathering most of the time.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:46 PM   #55
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't think so. There's exactly one month of campaign left before the election and Trump and much of his staff have to spend fully half of it in quarantine, and surviving Covid with mild symptoms isn't rare or unusual. It's too much campaigning time to sacrifice for too little return.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:47 PM   #56
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

They will both get the best treatment available, and if he recovers, no matter how sick he gets, he'll claim he hardly knew the virus.

Also, he'll get some sympathy votes.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:48 PM   #57
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

He could absolutely be outright lying, just to strut around asymptomatically and declare himself an übermensch
Old 1st October 2020, 10:49 PM   #58
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I don't. I want him to lose in a landslide and have to face the entire world seeing what a failure he is and laughing at him. And then I want him to go to prison, along with his crotch-goblins Eric, Ivanka, and Junior. I want him to die in prison penniless.

And also, I don't want the trash in his cult to have a martyr.
Even a stiff prison term might make him a martyr. I'd rather just have him bankrupt and living on a lender-approved allowance like in the 1990s - but this time one that would just barely support a middle-class lifestyle. Including barber-hairdressers who don't make anywhere near $70k a year.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:52 PM   #59
Molinaro
Illuminator

Thoughts and prayers to the virus within Mr and Mrs Trump. Hope it has a long and reproductive life.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:54 PM   #60
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Without doubt.

Don’t underestimate the sympathy votes which might flow his way though. “Poor Donnie, leading from the front where he gets the virus, while Biden locks himself in his home”.
He's gonna get the best care available and if he recovers, no matter how sick he gets, he'll proclaim it was nothing at all.

I agree about the sympathy vote; as unbelievable as it sounds, there are still undecideds, and who knows how they'll react.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:54 PM   #61
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Even a stiff prison term might make him a martyr. I'd rather just have him bankrupt and living on a lender-approved allowance like in the 1990s - but this time one that would just barely support a middle-class lifestyle. Including barber-hairdressers who don't make anywhere near $70k a year.
I've said for some time that I wish judges could sentence white collar crooks to enforced homelessness, so that'd be my pie-in-the-sky wish in this case.

But since he's gonna be in quarantine for some time now, does that mean we get spared the second debate?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:55 PM   #62
Cain
Straussian

I know a lot of people will celebrate this news, but it's truly a shame this didn't happen sooner.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:55 PM   #63
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and all the others had enough contact to him...
Mitch, Munichin and Meadows were all together with the new SCOTUS pick this week.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:56 PM   #64
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I honestly don't. I wouldn't lose any sleep or cry any tears should he end up in ICU as Boris did, but I think that him dying, while full of delicious irony, and maybe handing the Presidency to Nancy should Pence suffer from it too, it would most likely spark conspiracy theories of how the Democrats and Jews assassinated him, and I really don't want to dee him become the new JFK.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:57 PM   #65
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I've said for some time that I wish judges could sentence white collar crooks to enforced homelessness, so that'd be my pie-in-the-sky wish in this case.

But since he's gonna be in quarantine for some time now, does that mean we get spared the second debate?
If there is a debate it will be virtual. The debate is scheduled for two days before the end of the quarantine.

Last edited by Craig4; 1st October 2020 at 10:58 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:58 PM   #66
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
What goes around comes around. I hope it's really hurting him.
I doubt it. His ego will remain intact. In fact I forecast he will tell everyone "I warned you this was dangerous virus and that anyone could get it" and play the role of the prophet leading his people out of this plague. And he will be surrounded not by quacks and snake oil salesmen, but by the best medical care in the world.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 1st October 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:59 PM   #67
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Mrs Don questions whether they have.

What better way to get sympathy and prove that it's not serious?

"Recovery" in days saying good genes...

Edited to add.......

And what a way to avoid debates

Last edited by The Don; 1st October 2020 at 11:10 PM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 10:59 PM   #68
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
He's gonna get the best care available and if he recovers, no matter how sick he gets, he'll proclaim it was nothing at all.

I agree about the sympathy vote; as unbelievable as it sounds, there are still undecideds, and who knows how they'll react.
Sympathy vote? Dunno. "Those vile liberals and democrats were cheering for the death of the legitimate President of the United States!" on the other hand, would be somewhat unsurprising.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:01 PM   #69
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The best case scenario for the country is he survives after suffering serious illness and becomes a COVID-19 long hauler. If he's asymptomatic, it will just encourage the Trumptrash out there to not wear masks or be socially distant. If he dies, the country never gets to redeem itself for his presidency.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:02 PM   #70
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Sympathy vote? Dunno. "Those vile liberals and democrats were cheering for the death of the legitimate President of the United States!" on the other hand, would be somewhat unsurprising.
I saw someone or other on something or other interview undecideds after the debate, and some of these . . . people were still undecided.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Old 1st October 2020, 11:03 PM   #71
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

That would only work if Trump uses the positive test as a reason to do a 180 and agree to the Dems Covid package and becomes a Covid Testing Evangelist.

Americans love a good redemption.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:03 PM   #72
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

100 years into the future, a history teacher will say to her class, "And 2020 was the year both candidates for President caught coronavirus and died with a month left before the election...

This is 2020, it could happen.

ETA:

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The best case scenario for the country is he survives after suffering serious illness and becomes a COVID-19 long hauler. If he's asymptomatic, it will just encourage the Trumptrash out there to not wear masks or be socially distant. If he dies, the country never gets to redeem itself for his presidency.
At least we've heard the last of the "COVID-19 is a hoax!"

Old 1st October 2020, 11:04 PM   #73
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump should have known better than to let Bill Gates inject him with a 5G chip.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:05 PM   #74
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The asymptomatic scenario really worries me.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Old 1st October 2020, 11:06 PM   #75
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, I don't want him dead. I want him on a ventilator for a few weeks left with severe lung damage. I want him to recover in time to see him recognize that he lost in a massive landslide to Biden. To survive to be convicted of tax fraud along with his spawn. For his company to go bankrupt. I want him destroyed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:08 PM   #76
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Pence was with Trump in the Oval Office this week. I hope the career and household staff are okay.
I don't think there will be any more debates. The VP will have to quarantine. Trump will be quarantined at least until the next debate scheduled two weeks from now, even if he never develops symptoms.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:11 PM   #77
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Not only am I not feeling guilty about having a huge Fozzie Bear smile stuck on my face right now, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he gets as deathly ill as possible with this thing without actually dying.

This guy desperately needs to come as close to dying as possible, he needs a good strong dose of terror injected into his veins. It's the only way he's ever going to do an about-face on how serious he needs to take this coronavirus thing. If he starts to take it seriously, then so too will his faithful cult following.

If that happens, everyone benefits. Full stop.
Didn't turn out that way for Boris Johnson. People like them don't do introspection
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:16 PM   #78
TofuFighter
Master Poster

I was hoping we wouldn't see a string of "I hope he dies" posts in this thread.

Best case scenario, he gets ill enough to realise it actually affects people and subsequently behaves in a way that actually helps to suppress the spread in the US as opposed to his current absolute lack of concern.

Worst case, he is totally asymptomatic and this just confirms him in his folly.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:21 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I was hoping we wouldn't see a string of "I hope he dies" posts in this thread.

Best case scenario, he gets ill enough to realise it actually affects people and subsequently behaves in a way that actually helps to suppress the spread in the US as opposed to his current absolute lack of concern.

Worst case, he is totally asymptomatic and this just confirms him in his folly.
Oh, you dreamer, you!

Old 1st October 2020, 11:22 PM   #80
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Karma's a bitch, a real bitch!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st October 2020 at 11:23 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics