ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 2nd October 2020, 12:23 AM   #121
JeanTate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Good. Hope he dies slowly and painfully
No.

Just no.

No matter how horrible he is. No matter that, in a sane, rational world, he’d be found to be a mass murderer just like al-Assad, Putin, Kim JungIl, or Xi JinPing, no one should wish him death by COVID-19.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:26 AM   #122
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
But that would be devastating for his sycophants who don't believe they need to worry. And that spreads to the rest of us.
I think two weeks quarantine without golf will feel like months for him.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:29 AM   #123
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's not hard to believe at all, considering his previous comments about The PDJT's "excellent" health.
That was a different guy, Ronny Jackson. Sean Conley replaced him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronny_Jackson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Conley
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:30 AM   #124
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/air...of-sars-cov-2/
(Steven Novella)

Yeah, I'm thinking there's fairly high chance that Trump might have spread it to Biden, given that neither was wearing a mask and Trump was talking in a raised voice a lot. Fingers crossed that didn't happen, but it's certainly a possibility at this point.
I think the chance is a lot lower than you think, for two reasons.

Firstly, the podiums that each spoke at were at least 4-5 meters apart, far more than the 6 feet (2m) suggestion.

And secondly, it takes time to become infectious, several days. The likelihood is that he's not even infectious yet. He had to take a test prior to the debate, so his exposure was between that test and this new one meaning that he was very unlikely to have been in a position to spread the virus on the stage, even if he had actually be exposed to it and had it in his system at the time.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:32 AM   #125
JPK
Graduate Poster

According to CNN, it was known early Thursday morning that Hope Hicks tested positive and still Trump did an indoor fundraiser in NJ and his press secretary held the press briefing, without wearing a mask without letting any of the press in that room know that she was in close contact with Hicks.
Someone has some explaining to do.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 2nd October 2020 at 12:34 AM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:32 AM   #126
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I think two weeks quarantine without golf will feel like months for him.
What if he quarantines on a golf course?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:40 AM   #127
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
What if he quarantines on a golf course?
A tent on the golf course and decree by twitter. What's not to like?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:40 AM   #128
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's not hard to believe at all, considering his previous comments about The PDJT's "excellent" health.

If it is a conspiracy, it's a pretty elaborate one. Having to kick it off with the Hicks announcement, and then bringing the FLOTUS into it, and being backed up by the doctor is pretty broad. CNN is trying to figure out the puzzling timeline between the Hicks announcement and The PDJT's.

I heard a clip of Trump's latest evening interview with Hannity -- he seemed rather apathetic about his needing to be tested and waiting for the results at that very time.
Here's the other reason I really don't think it's a hoax. There is no way Melania would ever go along with having to spend 14 days alone with her husband.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:41 AM   #129
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the big question: What will all the Trumpers who think the whole thing is a hoax believe?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:41 AM   #130
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Here's the other reason I really don't think it's a hoax. There is no way Melania would ever go along with having to spend 14 days alone with her husband.
Unless she quarantines separately, that way she gets a two week break from him
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:45 AM   #131
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:48 AM   #132
angrysoba
Philosophile

The best case scenario for the country is he survives after suffering serious illness and becomes a COVID-19 long hauler. If he's asymptomatic, it will just encourage the Trumptrash out there to not wear masks or be socially distant. If he dies, the country never gets to redeem itself for his presidency.
I wouldn't actually be at all surprised if Trump dies, and STILL gets frigging elected.

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
100 years into the future, a history teacher will say to her class, "And 2020 was the year both candidates for President caught coronavirus and died with a month left before the election...

This is 2020, it could happen.

ETA:

At least we've heard the last of the "COVID-19 is a hoax!"
The usual suspects on my Facebook feed are going with "Kung Flu!" (they'll resurrect the idea it is a Chinese bioweapon).

But, yeah, although there were no hand shakes, and they entered and exited on opposite sides of the stage, I wouldn't be that surprised if Trump projected his spittle clear across to Biden.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:50 AM   #133
JeanTate
Illuminator

Also, it isn’t only liar, liar, pants on fire bone spurs Donnie who has COVID; FLOTUS too, Hope Hicks, and very likely many WH staff. I haven’t done a calculation yet, but all those and those yet to be infected by Patient Zero, I’d be surprised if the expected number of deaths is less than dozens.

Should that be the future, those would be yet more pointless, totally avoidable deaths to add to the “mass murderer” charge sheet.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:52 AM   #134
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

What's this all about! COVID-19 is a hoax, isn't it? No worries! This is all part of his 3678934-dimensional chess game to troll the Libs, yeah?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:52 AM   #135
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Would it be asking too much for McConnell to have caught it, too?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:55 AM   #136
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Here's the big question: What will all the Trumpers who think the whole thing is a hoax believe?
It was 5G!
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:56 AM   #137
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think the chance is a lot lower than you think, for two reasons.

Firstly, the podiums that each spoke at were at least 4-5 meters apart, far more than the 6 feet (2m) suggestion.

And secondly, it takes time to become infectious, several days. The likelihood is that he's not even infectious yet. He had to take a test prior to the debate, so his exposure was between that test and this new one meaning that he was very unlikely to have been in a position to spread the virus on the stage, even if he had actually be exposed to it and had it in his system at the time.
Hope you're right. As far as the distance though, I don't know. If airborne transmission happens then it could travel 4-5 meters. The bit I highlighted says that "social distancing alone is not adequate to prevent indoor spread". I guess we'll find out eventually.

The rate at which it's spreading in America makes me think that the normal recommended precautions are not adequate. Either that or people are ignoring them.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:02 AM   #138
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

As much as he would deserve that slow and painful death to "the Ghina virus that's no worse than the flu", I too would like him to survive to face consequences for his actions. I suppose it may be too much to hope for that he goes to jail, but a defeat in November he can't cheat his way out of would serve him right. That, and him living to see the personal bankruptcy he might be facing.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:03 AM   #139
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

My not really serious conspiracy theory which is mine is that Trump's positive test was rigged by his staff to keep him away from the next debate and any rallies he had organised.

They realise that, while Trump's performance at these plays well to his base (who will vote for him even if he kills two hundred thousand people on Fifth Avenue), they do not look good to anybody who has not yet drunk the chloroquine. Also, rallies are expensive and the Trump Campaign has very little money.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:03 AM   #140
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The rate at which it's spreading in America makes me think that the normal recommended precautions are not adequate. Either that or people are ignoring them.

That's exactly what's happening, especially when Trump says don't wear masks, don't shut down, it's all gonna go away.
Quote:
According to a new study from Cornell University, President Donald Trump is the world’s biggest spreader of coronavirus misinformation.

Nearly 38 percent of the “misinformation conversation” began with Trump doing things such as promoting unproven “miracle cures” for Covid-19 or claiming with zero evidence that the pandemic was a “Democratic Party hoax” aimed at derailing his presidency, the researchers from the Cornell Alliance for Science found.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ys/ar-BB19CesT

Last edited by Bob001; 2nd October 2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:04 AM   #141
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Would it be asking too much for McConnell to have caught it, too?
Mark Meadows was with Moscow Mitch this week.

As amusing as Trump's suffering is, through massive irresponsibility and stupidity, the Trump Administration has managed to expose most of the presidential line of succession to COVID-19.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:05 AM   #142
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The idea that it's a hoax is not credible. It would suffer from the same problem that every conspiracy theory suffers from. There would be too many people who knew about it to keep it a secret.

However, just to be sure, I think the media should demand a printed copy of the test results.

The long form test results.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:05 AM   #143
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Best case scenario, he gets ill enough to realise it actually affects people and subsequently behaves in a way that actually helps to suppress the spread in the US as opposed to his current absolute lack of concern.
Boris Johnson nearly died, and when he addressed the nation after getting out of hospital you could see genuine humanity and humility. Yet nothing has changed. If anything, it's got worse.

Trump's worse than Johnson, so I wouldn't lay money on this option, if I were you.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:06 AM   #144
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nice touch.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:06 AM   #145
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hope you're right. As far as the distance though, I don't know. If airborne transmission happens then it could travel 4-5 meters. The bit I highlighted says that "social distancing alone is not adequate to prevent indoor spread". I guess we'll find out eventually.

Now, what makes you think that?

Old 2nd October 2020, 01:10 AM   #146
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

Trump's worse than Johnson
I’m not sure. Line ball.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:12 AM   #147
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Who will president Pence choose as his VP?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:13 AM   #148
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Who will president Pence choose as his VP?
Ivanka.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:17 AM   #149
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The idea that it's a hoax is not credible. It would suffer from the same problem that every conspiracy theory suffers from. There would be too many people who knew about it to keep it a secret.

However, just to be sure, I think the media should demand a printed copy of the test results.

The long form test results.
I heard trump hired some kid to take the test for him....

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:18 AM   #150
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Ivanka.
No, he wouldn't be able to be alone in the same room with her. He'd make Mother his VP. More convenient.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:18 AM   #151
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I wouldn't be that surprised if Trump projected his spittle clear across to Biden.
Spittle? I think bile.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:19 AM   #152
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Leader of Leopards Eating My Face party has a leopard eat his face.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:19 AM   #153
AnonyMoose
Muse

So does this mean Trump stopped taking his daily dose of hydroxychloroquine?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:21 AM   #154
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/adamliaw/status/1311920256709918720

Quote:
Imagine if both Trump and Pence go onto ventilators, making Pelosi acting president for a few days...

...and she nominates a Supreme Court justice.
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:21 AM   #155
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wow, what a coincidence first person in the world to get the real China virus is the POTUS!
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:22 AM   #156
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Imagine if both Trump and Pence go onto ventilators, making Pelosi acting president for a few days...

...and she nominates a Supreme Court justice.

"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:22 AM   #157
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Who in here is thinking, just for second, that it might be just a stunt?

Him getting through this without any health problems would surely give him a boost and would also divert any other headlines for some weeks.
I thought exactly this. I expect him to emerge just in time for the second debate saying "See, Covid-19 is nothing. It was nothing but the sniffles".
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:23 AM   #158
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Mrs Don questions whether they have.

What better way to get sympathy and prove that it's not serious?

"Recovery" in days saying good genes...

Edited to add.......

And what a way to avoid debates
That was my thinking too. Easy to do. Until I see anything credible (and nothing this WH says is without supporting evidence) I'm reserving judgement.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:25 AM   #159
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I can see this negatively impacting treatment and preventative measures if Trump is asymptomatic, as this will be how he will think about it, the ultimate "I'm alright Jack".
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:30 AM   #160
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Even a stiff prison term might make him a martyr. I'd rather just have him bankrupt and living on a lender-approved allowance like in the 1990s - but this time one that would just barely support a middle-class lifestyle. Including barber-hairdressers who don't make anywhere near $70k a year.
But how would we tell the difference?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics