ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 2nd October 2020, 05:04 AM   #201
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
He will do anything to get out of another debate.
I am halfway convinced this is the case.
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:08 AM   #202
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In my home, I'm the first one up, and as I told awakening family members the news...There was a lot of cheering in newyorkguy's household.

Sad!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:08 AM   #203
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

The list of people at risk is extensive and mind boggling.

Including Mnuchin, who met with Pelosi...
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:09 AM   #204
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Anyway, most people are asymptomatic. It isn't a thoughts and prayers situation until that changes.
Inaccurate. Calculations about the percentage of people who are asymptomatic vary significantly. But across the board, most tend to be in the 40s (depending on age group).

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 2nd October 2020 at 05:11 AM.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:22 AM   #205
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As an obese 74-year old man who may have, or have had, heart issues or other pre-existing conditions, President Trump is at significantly higher risk from Coronavirus than someone in great health in their early-20s.

3%-4% of people his age who catch coronavirus go on to die from it, but this includes people in far worse health, with less access to exceptional healthcare and whose diagnosis came much later.

The most likely outcome by a considerable margin is that he will have few or no symptoms and that he will go on to make a full, or near full, recovery.

IMO anything short of death will be portrayed by the GOP as a miracle and death will be presented as President Trump giving up his life for his country. IMO the Democratic Party should rebut this.

If he dies, they should offer their deepest sympathies and so on but go on to say that the best way to fight off Covid-19 is to not catch it in the first place and that this is a bleak reminder for people to mask up, observe social distancing and observing good hygiene.

If he survives they should offer their congratulations but then remind people that he has access to healthcare that most Americans cannot even dream of and that he only has himself to blame for catching it in the first place.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:24 AM   #206
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

One comment I heard:

"Finally Trump tweeted something Positive".
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:28 AM   #207
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Man 2020 is either the best or worst written year ever.

I can't tell if it has too many payoffs to things set up earlier in the year or too many obvious setups.

It's either "Well of course Trump got COVID, it's the only way to finish up his character arc!" or "Oh come on they telegraphed that way too much! They should have subverted it!"

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd October 2020 at 05:36 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:32 AM   #208
Tero
Graduate Poster

Another person to nominate for Nobel Peace Prize! The person that gave Trump coronavirus.

"Questions now remain about how and when –** and from whom –** the president contracted the virus and if he could have infected others, including Biden, during his packed week."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...or-coronavirus

But there may be technical issues. Will have to verify the virus strain. Hope Hicks might not be it. But we can give the Prize to whoever gave it to Hope.

Last edited by Tero; 2nd October 2020 at 05:38 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:33 AM   #209
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Who in here is thinking, just for second, that it might be just a stunt?

Him getting through this without any health problems would surely give him a boost and would also divert any other headlines for some weeks.
For more than a second.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:33 AM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I know it's sort of cliche to ask/bring up at this point, but I'm curious of the polls in a couple of days.
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:43 AM   #211
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Mike and Karen Pence have tested negative for COVID-19.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/02/polit...rus/index.html
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:51 AM   #212
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Joe Biden Tweets:

"Jill and I send our thoughts to President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump for a swift recovery. We will continue to pray for the health and safety of the president and his family."
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:51 AM   #213
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Mike and Karen Pence have tested negative for COVID-19.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/02/polit...rus/index.html

The more surprising news is that we now have evidence he doesn't kiss Trump's ass every day.
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:51 AM   #214
Wudang
BOFH

Again from twitter:
He is in several high-risk groups — elderly, obese, low-income.
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:52 AM   #215
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

WOW! It's a good thing I went to bed just before this news broke or I'd have been up all night! WOW!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:54 AM   #216
shemp

Joe Biden Tweets:

"Jill and I send our thoughts to President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump for a swift recovery. We will continue to pray for the health and safety of the president and his family."
"Nah, just kidding, I hope he ******* dies very badly!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:55 AM   #217
shemp

And even if Joe doesn't wish that, I do! I hope he dies in a pool of his own blood and vomit! Or a pool of somebody else's blood and vomit!
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:56 AM   #218
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I hope he dies in a pool of his own blood and vomit! Or a pool of somebody else's blood and vomit!
And by pool I don't mean like "a small puddle around the mouth." I mean a literal pool. Olympic sized if possible.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd October 2020 at 06:00 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 05:59 AM   #219
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
And even if Joe doesn't wish that, I do! I hope he dies in a pool of his own blood and vomit! Or a pool of somebody else's blood and vomit!
It will be hard to tell. You can't really dust for vomit.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:01 AM   #220
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Wow, what a coincidence first person in the world to get the real China virus is the POTUS!
Eh?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...-rally-remark/
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:06 AM   #221
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
"I'm sorry sir but our 'I'm totally not a Trump supporter but I'm going to nitpick every criticism / off hand comment about it him to death' department is already overstaffed and therefore we have no need of your services at this time. We will keep your resume on file."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd October 2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:09 AM   #222
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If Trump is lying about having COVID I'd put money on the table it's more about setting up an excuse if he loses then trying to get points for a win.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:09 AM   #223
Armitage72
Illuminator

You hear stories about people, usually children, who push a button or flip a switch at the exact moment that a massive blackout happens, and they convince themselves that they caused the blackout.

Less than a week ago, in a pointless and juvenile act that I felt might be mildly cathartic, I pulled out the stimulus payment letter with Trump's signature on it and burned it while directing as much anger toward it and him as I could, wanting him to experience all of the suffering that he had caused in others. I guess we'll see if I'm a wizard or superhero/villain.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:10 AM   #224
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Joe Biden Tweets:

In news that will surprise no one: "Multiple @JoeBiden campaign officials tell me there has been no formal contact from the Trump campaign or the White House to alert them of potential exposure to COVID-19"

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/statu...14269333069824

ETA:
From another reporter: They [Biden campaign] add that they do not believe they have much risk because “we were never near them."

Last edited by Firestone; 2nd October 2020 at 06:18 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:11 AM   #225
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The man pictured below is known to have tested positive for Covid-19. Do you know this man? Have you been in recent close contact with him? if so, you need to see a doctor and have a Covid-19 test. Please don't delay!

In all seriousness, this image is from the debate Tuesday night. I almost posted it in the debate thread Wednesday because honestly, trump does not look too healthy here.In fact, recently I have begun to notice, I think the stress and strain of the presidency is beginning to wear on him. And now he has coronavirus?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The man ain't right!.jpg (46.8 KB, 14 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:17 AM   #226
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

As an atheist, the most I can do is pray for him
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:17 AM   #227
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Again from twitter:
He is in several high-risk groups ó elderly, obese, low-income.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:18 AM   #228
Scopedog
Muse

"I'm sorry sir but our 'I'm totally not a Trump supporter but I'm going to nitpick every criticism / off hand comment about it him to death' department is already overstaffed and therefore we have no need of your services at this time. We will keep your resume on file."
I'm contributing to discussion on a discussion forum, in particular, a forum dedicated to skepticism, scrutiny, and dissection. To be fair, though, I suppose feedback such as the above is valid, too.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:19 AM   #229
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Again from twitter:
He is in several high-risk groups ó elderly, obese, low-income.
If only you had pretended it was original I would have nommed
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:21 AM   #230
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The list of people at risk is extensive and mind boggling.

Including Mnuchin, who met with Pelosi...
When Hicks tested positive, apparently they failed to inform people who flew on the plane with her.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:21 AM   #231
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Joe Biden Tweets:

"Jill and I send our thoughts to President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump for a swift recovery. We will continue to pray for the [mental] health and [financial] safety of the president and his family."
The quiet bits staying quiet.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:22 AM   #232
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Next one: "Ronna McDaniel, the RNC chairwoman, tested positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday, multiple sources say. She has mild symptoms. She was last with POTUS last Friday and has been in Michigan since then."

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status...21288894988289

Last edited by Firestone; 2nd October 2020 at 06:23 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:22 AM   #233
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The man pictured below is known to have tested positive for Covid-19. Do you know this man? Have you been in recent close contact with him? if so, you need to see a doctor and have a Covid-19 test. Please don't delay!

In all seriousness, this image is from the debate Tuesday night. I almost posted it in the debate thread Wednesday because honestly, trump does not look too healthy here.In fact, recently I have begun to notice, I think the stress and strain of the presidency is beginning to wear on him. And now he has coronavirus?
https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/stat...566503427?s=20

Quote:
See anyone you know? This pic was part of a lecture given in 1888 by Jean-Martin Charcot a renowned French neurologist & professor of anatomical pathology. He was noting precise differences & characteristics of the PSP form of Frontotemporal Dementia even b4 it had it's own name

link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:23 AM   #234
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I thought Trump looked blood orange during the debate.

If McConnell, Pence, and Trump die then Pelosi becomes the head
of the Republican Party and will rule them with an iron fist like
Margaret Thatcher did in the eighties.

Yes.

Traders will be forced to buy options and sell shares they donít own to contain
the fire that will burn middle class retirement funds to the ground.

Note:

You cannot use these strategies in your 401K because of the inherent risk involved.
Professionals only.
Nope, Pelosi is ahead of Mcconnell in line. But Pence has kept himself physically separate from Trump and be appears to keep himself in shape, so don't hold your breath.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:24 AM   #235
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

In some ways this isn't a news story

Headline: man engaged in high risk behavior for catching infectious virus catches infectious virus
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:26 AM   #236
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

New York Times: Trump is experiencing mild symptom.

Quote:
President Trump is experiencing coldlike symptoms after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to two people familiar with his condition.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10...gtype=Homepage
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:26 AM   #237
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
You hear stories about people, usually children, who push a button or flip a switch at the exact moment that a massive blackout happens, and they convince themselves that they caused the blackout.

Less than a week ago, in a pointless and juvenile act that I felt might be mildly cathartic, I pulled out the stimulus payment letter with Trump's signature on it and burned it while directing as much anger toward it and him as I could, wanting him to experience all of the suffering that he had caused in others. I guess we'll see if I'm a wizard or superhero/villain.
in either case, expect a visit from the Secret Service.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:27 AM   #238
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Nope, Pelosi is ahead of Mcconnell in line. But Pence has kept himself physically separate from Trump and be appears to keep himself in shape, so don't hold your breath.
I wonder what Pence has touched that Trump has also touched. Paperwork? Door handles? Because COVID takes about 7-10 days to manifest enough to be tested for. So Pence is still in the gun to be infected, even if he was negative today.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:39 AM   #239
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Next one: "Ronna McDaniel, the RNC chairwoman, tested positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday, multiple sources say. She has mild symptoms. She was last with POTUS last Friday and has been in Michigan since then."

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status...21288894988289
This is what we can call "A COVID outbreak at the White House"
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:45 AM   #240
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I think there is high chance this is a lie. Publicity stunt. He of course will have no symptoms, and he will hapily tweet from quarantine. He won't have to go to another debate. He will get some sympathy, while showing it's not that dangerous after all, as he was saying all the time. Win - win.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics