ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gretchen Whitmer , Michigan incidents , militia incidents

Old 9th October 2020, 02:10 PM   #201
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Phase 1: Kidnap the governor
Phase 2: Take her to Wisconsin (for some reason) and try her for crimes of tyranny
Phase 3: ???
Phase 4: Profit
Reason is we have plenty of people here who would be sympathetic to their goal and would like to do the same to our Gov. Evers.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 02:19 PM   #202
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The lawyer, to the 13 other prisoners:

"I'm telling you man, it was a meritorious legal theory"
The flaw is that someone held in a citizen's arrest must be turned over the authorities. The "citizens" can't conduct a trial and impose punishment.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 02:39 PM   #203
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I think it better shows the dangers of overreaching your Constitutional powers.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...ergency-powers

"Michigan Supreme Court rules Whitmer lacks COVID-19 emergency powers"

When she lost in Michigan Supreme Court that should have been the end of it. Unless she refused to abide by the Court's ruling then she should have been removed from office by the people.

There are many ways to remove a Governor from power though. Ridiculous that anyone would even consider "kidnapping" a Government Official.
What else can you expect from a bunch of scummy Trumptrash? Everyone knows their kind aren't real Americans. They don't respect American values. This is exactly what I expect from Trump supporters, disloyalty to their nation.
Old 9th October 2020, 02:54 PM   #204
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

Anti government right wing anarchists. Also anti Trump. He's basically an ANTIFA type that is a red neck.

in this case these guys hate cops and all government including trump. They are not right wingers.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 02:57 PM   #205
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

"Some expressed anti-vaccine sentiments, while Croft, portrayed by the FBI as another ringleader of the group, tweeted that liberals should be hung in order to “make America great again.”

On Twitter, Fox frequently used language that hinted at possible violence, tweeting to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both Democrats, on May 29, 2018: “we’re coming from you” and “we’re coming for all of you.” He also demonstrated his support for President Donald Trump, tweeting in May 2018 that “Trump’s a winner and the US will continue to win under real leadership!!”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...er-kidnap-plot
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:04 PM   #206
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
Anti government right wing anarchists. Also anti Trump. He's basically an ANTIFA type that is a red neck.

in this case these guys hate cops and all government including trump. They are not right wingers.
I think you gave me whiplash.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:07 PM   #207
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
"Some expressed anti-vaccine sentiments, while Croft, portrayed by the FBI as another ringleader of the group, tweeted that liberals should be hung in order to “make America great again.”

On Twitter, Fox frequently used language that hinted at possible violence, tweeting to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, both Democrats, on May 29, 2018: “we’re coming from you” and “we’re coming for all of you.” He also demonstrated his support for President Donald Trump, tweeting in May 2018 that “Trump’s a winner and the US will continue to win under real leadership!!”

Oh, dear. Ziggurat is going to be very disappointed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:09 PM   #208
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, dear. Ziggurat is going to be very disappointed.
Place your bets.

- Silence
- "Whatabbouta..."
- "LOOK OVER THERE A SQUIRREL!"
- Denial
- Nitpick
Old 9th October 2020, 03:34 PM   #209
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Nobody in their right mind could possibly think that 13 people could carry out a ridiculous plan to kidnap a governor and take her to another state for a trial.
Ahem, just eleven managed to kidnap a former Prime Minister...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Aldo_Moro

and three people, two of them teenagers, managed to kidnap and murder a former New Jersey Assemblyman...

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/08/n...llionaire.html

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th October 2020 at 03:46 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:39 PM   #210
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Place your bets.

- Silence
- "Whatabbouta..."
- Denial
- Nitpick

That about covers it... are you giving odds on win, place & show?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:47 PM   #211
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post

Five pages in before somebody actually presents evidence. Well done, jerry. Everyone else, that's how you do it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 04:01 PM   #212
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Five pages in before somebody actually presents evidence. Well done, jerry. Everyone else, that's how you do it.
So you think it's likely there isn't adequate evidence? Should the FBI have waited until after they carried out their actions?
Old 9th October 2020, 04:02 PM   #213
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Place your bets.

- Silence
- "Whatabbouta..."
- Denial
- Nitpick
And it's a 50/50 split between denial and nitpick.
Old 9th October 2020, 04:08 PM   #214
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Seriously? Are you trying to compare the security of 1978 Italy and the training, organization, experience, and political commitment of Red Brigade Terrorists to the security around a US governor in 2020 United States and a bunch of loosely organized rednecks who don't even have the wherewithal to remain anonymous?

Quote:
and three people, two of them teenagers, managed to kidnap and murder a former New Jersey assemblyman...

Comparing the heavy security around a serving United States Governor in 2020 to the non-existent security around a former assemblyman whose 5 year prison sentence in 1974 ended his political career 23 years before he was kidnapped and murdered in a totally non-political extortion case is even more ludicrous!

Do you have any idea of what you are posting or do you just do a google search and cut and paste the first couple of hits you get?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 9th October 2020 at 04:11 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 04:08 PM   #215
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this from page 3 just wasn't adequate for you?

Quote:
A Michigan-based Pete Musico also has a Twitter account with a Tea Party-style “Don’t Tread On Me” banner as the profile image and a number of posts from 2016 voicing support for Trump and calling for the imprisonment of then-Democratic Party presidential nominee Hillary Clinton. It also includes unfounded allegations that former President Bill Clinton fathered an “illegitimate black child” and that vaccines contain dangerous levels of mercury. Another post urges his 14 followers to visit right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ site Infowars.
Let's hear the excuse for why this doesn't count as evidence for you that Musico is a Trumper. I'm all ears.
Old 9th October 2020, 04:34 PM   #216
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Multiple people had already done it. You ignored it. No one was surprised.

Last edited by johnny karate; 9th October 2020 at 04:39 PM.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 04:36 PM   #217
johnny karate

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post

Several of them support Trump and at least one of them is friendly with a local sheriff.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 04:38 PM   #218
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'm calling this a dead-heat between "nitpick" and ""Whatabbouta..."!

Old 9th October 2020, 04:41 PM   #219
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm calling this a dead-heat between "nitpick" and ""Whatabbouta..."!
I'm calling it "just plain false".
Old 9th October 2020, 04:41 PM   #220
Venom
Illuminator

Okay evidence has been presented to the critics' liking. End of discussion?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 04:44 PM   #221
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously? Are you trying to compare the security of 1978 Italy and the training, organization, experience, and political commitment of Red Brigade Terrorists to the security around a US governor in 2020 United States and a bunch of loosely organized rednecks who don't even have the wherewithal to remain anonymous?

Comparing the heavy security around a serving United States Governor in 2020 to the non-existent security around a former assemblyman whose 5 year prison sentence in 1974 ended his political career 23 years before he was kidnapped and murdered in a totally non-political extortion case is even more ludicrous!

Do you have any idea of what you are posting or do you just do a google search and cut and paste the first couple of hits you get?
No. I'm saying you should not be so dismissive of a threat like this.

Sure, they might be a bunch of dimwitted, anti-government ne'er do wells, but just one dimwitted, anti-government ne'er do well managed to take out a sitting POTUS! They could well have attempted to kidnap her, but if things went awry, they could simply have killed her.

Old 9th October 2020, 05:27 PM   #222
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

No. I'm saying you should not be so dismissive of a threat like this.

Sure, they might be a bunch of dimwitted, anti-government ne'er do wells, but just one dimwitted, anti-government ne'er do well managed to take out a sitting POTUS! They could well have attempted to kidnap her, but if things went awry, they could simply have killed her.

You have taken my original post and corrupted it to fit some sort of personal agenda.
I never said they were not dangerous. I never said that they couldn't kill anybody. I never said that we shouldn't take such idiots seriously. I never said that they shouldn't be charged.
I did say I questioned their personal commitment (basically a suicide mission) and ability to carry out their entire plan which was to kidnap a current governor of the US and take her to another state where they would hold her and put her on some sort of drumhead trial.
I also said that if the facts as reported are true - they are guilty of conspiracy.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:29 PM   #223
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Which makes him no different from all the other "Not a Trump supporter" Trump supporters.

Like I've said multiples times in politics there is zero difference between support and running apologetic interference for.
Just voted for Biden tonight, by the way.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:43 PM   #224
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f1a_story.html

“One of alleged plotters, 23-year-old Daniel Harris, attended a Black Lives Matter protest in June, telling the Oakland County Times he was upset about the killing of George Floyd and police violence.”
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:56 PM   #225
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You have taken my original post and corrupted it to fit some sort of personal agenda.
Calm down!

I never said they were not dangerous. I never said that they couldn't kill anybody. I never said that we shouldn't take such idiots seriously. I never said that they shouldn't be charged.
I did say I questioned their personal commitment (basically a suicide mission) and ability to carry out their entire plan which was to kidnap a current governor of the US and take her to another state where they would hold her and put her on some sort of drumhead trial.
I also said that if the facts as reported are true - they are guilty of conspiracy.
Yeah, all those things you "never said", well, you never said them, so all I could do was take your post at face value. I was simply trying to point what I considered to be a flaw in your thinking, which came across as 'there were only 13 of them so they have to be dumb to think they had a chance of pulling it off'

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th October 2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:00 PM   #226
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post

“One of alleged plotters, 23-year-old Daniel Harris, attended a Black Lives Matter protest in June, telling the Oakland County Times he was upset about the killing of George Floyd and police violence.”
And?

Old 9th October 2020, 07:18 PM   #227
Venom
Illuminator

It's not surprising to me that some of these people would be upset by police killings of unarmed citizens. People sometimes draw from different political and social pools to shape or confirm their worldview.

But how influential do you actually think BLM was in inspiring takeover and dismantling of the government? Is Obama encouraging them or ignoring the violence they commit?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:33 PM   #228
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

How much security do you think there is around a typical governor? I'm sure they've got some state troopers, but it's not anything comparable to a president, and not likely to be a large enough team that a heavily armed bunch of loons couldn't overpower. You may have noted that this particular bunch planned to blow up a bridge to keep police from responding.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:34 PM   #229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

and three people, two of them teenagers, managed to kidnap and murder a former New Jersey Assemblyman...

ANyway, "No Harm,No Foul" does not apply to crminal consparicies.

And history is full of stupid and generally inept people who got lucky.
Who wold have though a failed Ham actor could kill a President Of the United States?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:39 PM   #230
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
How much security do you think there is around a typical governor? I'm sure they've got some state troopers, but it's not anything comparable to a president, and not likely to be a large enough team that a heavily armed bunch of loons couldn't overpower. You may have noted that this particular bunch planned to blow up a bridge to keep police from responding.
My guess is they are going to seriously upgrade protection in a few states at least until the election is over.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:48 PM   #231
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
My guess is they are going to seriously upgrade protection in a few states at least until the election is over.

As recently as March, Gov. Whitmer's official residence was apparently guarded by one trooper, who couldn't keep his own car from being broken into. Not quite comparable to the Secret Service or Scotland Yard.
Quote:
LANSING — Michigan State Police are reviewing security protocol for the governor's residence after a man was charged with stealing property from two vehicles at the residence, a robbery that did not catch the attention of the trooper guarding the Lansing home at the time.
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...er/3221651002/
Old 9th October 2020, 07:48 PM   #232
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Calm down!

Yeah, all those things you "never said", well, you never said them, so all I could do was take your post at face value. I was simply trying to point what I considered to be a flaw in your thinking, which came across as 'there were only 13 of them so they have to be dumb to think they had a chance of pulling it off'

You did not fully read my post if that was what you got from it.
Your statements and links to spurious examples as shown in your replies to my posts further demonstrate what appears to be an incredibly weak ability to read and comprehend. I suggest a course in remedial reading may be of benefit to you.

You haven't even acknowledged your links were so far removed from the logistics and targets that were under discussion they might as well have been written about baseball.

Let's see...an apparent inability to comprehend the written word.
A demonstrated inability to research and come up with examples that are even remotely on topic.
A refusal to admit obvious errors.
You're not my old grade 10 History teacher are you?

Last edited by rockinkt; 9th October 2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old 9th October 2020, 08:33 PM   #233
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post

As Seen on Twitter

"Life comes at you fast"

LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plot1.jpg (70.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg plot2.jpg (81.0 KB, 9 views)
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 09:35 PM   #234
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You did not fully read my post if that was what you got from it.
Your statements and links to spurious examples as shown in your replies to my posts further demonstrate what appears to be an incredibly weak ability to read and comprehend. I suggest a course in remedial reading may be of benefit to you.

You haven't even acknowledged your links were so far removed from the logistics and targets that were under discussion they might as well have been written about baseball.

Let's see...an apparent inability to comprehend the written word.
A demonstrated inability to research and come up with examples that are even remotely on topic.
A refusal to admit obvious errors.
You're not my old grade 10 History teacher are you?
Go take a chill pill dude. You are grossly overreacting.

Old 9th October 2020, 09:38 PM   #235
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Who wold have though a failed Ham actor could kill a President Of the United States?
And a wannabe Soviet spy could kill another POTUS.

Old 10th October 2020, 12:11 AM   #236
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And?
Old 10th October 2020, 07:06 AM   #237
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

For that matter, who would have thought 11 people could kill 3000 people in a single terrorist attack? Granted, security was lax on 9/11 and passengers and aircrew were trained and conditioned to submit to hijackers, but still.

Let's say those 13 people in Michigan did try something. You've now got 13 heavily armed men attempting an act of political terrorism. Even if they were stopped, or never got near the governour, they could still do considerable damage, even if it's only to law enforcers or even innocent bystanders.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 07:57 AM   #238
johnny karate

And then he threw in with police-friendly Trump supporters to carry out a right wing terrorist plot. Life is strange sometimes.
Old 10th October 2020, 08:06 AM   #239
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
And then he threw in with police-friendly Trump supporters to carry out a right wing terrorist plot. Life is strange sometimes.
Not that strange. If a right wing agitator is attempting to corrupt a left-leaning protest and is approached by a reporter, s/he is obviously going to lie about the reason for their presence.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 08:08 AM   #240
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation

...or he just generally hates people and wants to get violent and doesn't give a fat rats ass about the political justification.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics