ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th October 2020, 03:08 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The difference is, Biden actually explained why he won't give a clear answer, and his explanation is actually pretty reasonable.
A. he wants a smoking gun..an actual outrageous Supreme Court decision before pulling the trigger.
> He hopes..if the Dems take the Senate..that the mere threat of packing the court might make the Supreme Court modify it's rulings...which is what happened back in 1937.
I think increasing the number of seats on the Supreme court is a last resort;I relly don't like it much myself.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 03:28 PM   #42
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
More people watched Biden on ABC than Trump on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC.
Well, I think that surprised almost everybody! You know The PDJT would have been Tweet gloating about it if it were the other way around.
Old 16th October 2020, 03:31 PM   #43
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A. he wants a smoking gun..an actual outrageous Supreme Court decision before pulling the trigger.
> He hopes..if the Dems take the Senate..that the mere threat of packing the court might make the Supreme Court modify it's rulings...which is what happened back in 1937.
I think increasing the number of seats on the Supreme court is a last resort;I relly don't like it much myself.
You may have been on hiatus when I floated my clever(?) concept. Alas, it gained zero traction. People think I'm joking but I'm not.

The problem with packing the court is, the day will come when it bites you in the ass. My proposal: Add all registered voters to the court. Every damn one. It swings the court left, with a veneer of fairness. And it can't easily be trumped.

The threat of this action alone might bring about reforms. But you must mean business, be ready to follow through.
Old 16th October 2020, 04:51 PM   #44
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He is, in fact, Mary Trump's crazy uncle!
Who immediately tweeted... "Actually..."

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 04:58 PM   #45
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Their main defense is that, having won a Senate majority in the midterms of 2014 (and "expanded" in 2018), and the White House in 2016, they were speaking with the voice of the people in having blocked Garland's nomination in 2016 and are now in bulling through with Barrett's (apparently because waiting to hear that voice this year might result in something they don't want to hear). So Biden could make the case, if he wins the Presidency and the Democrats retake the Senate (and possibly "expand" their House majority), that he's entitled by that voice to redress the Court's ideological balance. I don't particularly like that argument, since, for one, I don't think America really does support it, and, two, it's too much like playing the GOP's Calvinball game with the Court (and Constitution)- but it would certainly seem valid by the Republicans' standard of shifting standards.

Also, as I've said before, even if he loses, but Democrats take the Senate, then, by the GOP's own argument (that a lame-duck President facing a Senate majority of the opposite party should expect that party, enabled by the recently-heard voice of the people, to exercise the right by it to block his nominations), Trump gets no SC noms passed for at least two years. If Trump is re-elected, he will be a lame-duck from the day he's sworn in- I don't know why he'd think he should get any more consideration from Democrats during his last four years than Obama was entitled to during his last two.

All this could be avoided if the "Constitutional originalists" (i.e., the GOP pretend-version) wouldn't insist that a document that, after all, doesn't mention parties (and certainly Washington, at least, was against the concept), is one of the strong legs they stand on. How about we go by what the thing says? President nominates based on qualifications, Senate says yea or nay based on same. I know, I know- "advise and consent." I suppose that could be interpreted to mean "block completely without even hearing a case" or "ram through based on party strength alone, no other case necessary"- but it surely cannot have been the Founders' intention to make government a constant head-butting and dick-measuring contest like that.
Scalia, who Barrett clerked with, and who claimed to be an originalist, was only an originalist when it suited his far right beliefs. I posted examples, sources, and evidence that was the case in our discussions of Scalia before he died.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:05 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I doubt the SCOTUS will concern themselves with a threat of Biden to add seats. Roberts is thought to have voted on the ACA in order to prevent the court looking political. He'll have his work cut out for him now.

Biden's between a rock and a hard place. If he campaigns that he'll fix the rigged court, he'll lose moderates and even GOP votes that are against Trump. If he says he won't do anything about the court, many of us will be disgusted he once again let the GOP walk all over us.

And he has to win the Senate. Threatening to add SCOTUS seats could easily cost some Senate seats.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:06 PM   #47
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...er-asked-bide/

"A former Obama White House speechwriter was one of the questioners at Democrat Joe Biden’s town-hall event on ABC on Thursday night.

Nathan Osborn of Philadelphia, the former speechwriter in the Obama-Biden administration, asked Mr. Biden a question about a Democratic proposal to increase the number of justices on the Supreme Court."
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:10 PM   #48
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Who immediately tweeted... "Actually..."
Newsweek: Mary Trump Reacts to Savannah Guthrie's 'Crazy Uncle' Remark to President
Quote:
Mary Trump, who is a psychologist, responded with a one-word tweet: "Actually . . ."
I figured we needed a source.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th October 2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 16th October 2020, 05:25 PM   #49
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Fair enough. I didn't watch any of either but the tweet story made my newsfeed last night.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:37 PM   #50
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
More people watched Biden on ABC than Trump on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC.
The Biden Town Hall ran for 2 hours. President Trump's Town Hall ran for 1 hour.
Biden's Town Hall ended 1 hour after Trump's had ended. But yay, Biden is the winner! Very well thought out and scripted event.

It's not a stretch to guess that Trump's viewers switched the channel to view the "Love Fest" after watching the end of the President's event during which Savannah Guthrie was notably hostile to the President. Nothing scripted in President Trump's Town Hall.

And IMO that's exactly what he wanted voters to see.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 16th October 2020 at 05:38 PM. Reason: sp
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:08 PM   #51
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...er-asked-bide/

"A former Obama White House speechwriter was one of the questioners at Democrat Joe Biden’s town-hall event on ABC on Thursday night.

Nathan Osborn of Philadelphia, the former speechwriter in the Obama-Biden administration, asked Mr. Biden a question about a Democratic proposal to increase the number of justices on the Supreme Court."
Yeah, that's genuinely not appropriate. A town hall should be free of those who work in politics. It should have common folk asking the questions.

I don't agree with too much you write in this forum, but I agree on that point. No one who worked for the Obama administration (omitting career employees) really should be asking Biden questions at a town hall.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:09 PM   #52
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

The Biden Town Hall ran for 2 hours. President Trump's Town Hall ran for 1 hour.
Biden's Town Hall ended 1 hour after Trump's had ended. But yay, Biden is the winner! Very well thought out and scripted event.

It's not a stretch to guess that Trump's viewers switched the channel to view the "Love Fest" after watching the end of the President's event during which Savannah Guthrie was notably hostile to the President. Nothing scripted in President Trump's Town Hall.

Well, good for him, I s'pose. Voters saw him pretending not to know what QAnon is, but they're against pedos and so is Trump, so there's that. A masterful performance.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:13 PM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Nearly every question Trump received was a softball. Just because he can't answer a question about Qanon well doesn't mean the moderator wasn't pitching the slowest ball right across the plate.

He just sucks at the easy questions.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 16th October 2020 at 07:14 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:24 PM   #54
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Nearly every question Trump received was a softball. Just because he can't answer a question about Qanon well doesn't mean the moderator wasn't pitching the slowest ball right across the plate.

He just sucks at the easy questions.
I have to say, Bob has a point. Not too many world leaders would bungle an opportunity to discredit a ridiculous and harmful conspiracy theory like QAnon.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:16 PM   #55
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Talking

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I have to say, Bob has a point. Not too many world leaders would bungle an opportunity to discredit a ridiculous and harmful conspiracy theory like QAnon.
I could grab all the questions from the transcript. But going through it, I remember one of the first tough questions being when he last tested negative for COVID.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 08:23 PM   #56
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Well, good for him, I s'pose. Voters saw him pretending not to know what QAnon is, but they're against pedos and so is Trump, so there's that. A masterful performance.
I think the master performance award should go to Savannah. The same undecided voters that watched how Savannah Guthrie did her number with the President also watched Stephanopoulos with "The Big Guy". Some may even consider the press seems a bit Left leaning and possibly their coverage may be as well. It adds to President Trump's credibility about his claims of a Liberal media.

If this wasn't part of Trump's plan, it should have been. This coupled with Biden not being able to answer about packing the Supreme Court. What a position. Now, no matter what he says he can only lose votes on the issue and remaining silent will cost him even more votes. Yikes.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:28 PM   #57
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I think the master performance award should go to Savannah. The same undecided voters that watched how Savannah Guthrie did her number with the President also watched Stephanopoulos with "The Big Guy". Some may even consider the press seems a bit Left leaning and possibly their coverage may be as well. It adds to President Trump's credibility about his claims of a Liberal media.

If this wasn't part of Trump's plan, it should have been. This coupled with Biden not being able to answer about packing the Supreme Court. What a position. Now, no matter what he says he can only lose votes on the issue and remaining silent will cost him even more votes. Yikes.
Doesn't bother you, then, that the President claims neither he nor Savannah knows for sure whether there's a Deep State and Hollywood teamup involving Satanic pedophilia cult stuff? Your takeaway is that she was mean to ask him that?

Would you agree? Could be a Satanic worldwide cult adopting children for dastardly reasons, headed by powerful Democrats and Tom Hanks? A wise world leader will admit that he doesn't know for sure, right?

Okay. I took away a different opinion.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:55 PM   #58
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Jesus Christ in ******* canoe, the orange idiot gets near daily reach-a-rounds from the talking heads at Fox News, fawning adulation from maga-hat morons at rallies, but can't handle a softball from a meanie* girl concerning the world's dumbest conspiracy theory?

What a snowflake.

*nasty

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020

Last edited by Resume; 16th October 2020 at 09:06 PM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 09:07 PM   #59
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yeah, that's genuinely not appropriate. A town hall should be free of those who work in politics. It should have common folk asking the questions.

I don't agree with too much you write in this forum, but I agree on that point. No one who worked for the Obama administration (omitting career employees) really should be asking Biden questions at a town hall.
So he asked one question????

And you are seriously upset about that?

Did you watch the town hall with Biden?

Old 16th October 2020, 11:06 PM   #60
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Doesn't bother you, then, that the President claims neither he nor Savannah knows for sure whether there's a Deep State and Hollywood teamup involving Satanic pedophilia cult stuff? Your takeaway is that she was mean to ask him that?

Would you agree? Could be a Satanic worldwide cult adopting children for dastardly reasons, headed by powerful Democrats and Tom Hanks? A wise world leader will admit that he doesn't know for sure, right?

It seemed to me that Savannah was extremely interested in making that group a talking point. I've never heard of them. Maybe you can fill me in on how they affect the economy, unemployment rates, covid-19, Foreign Policy, or taxes etc? As an American I'm just not that interested in weird little groups on the Far Left or Far Right who can have no effect on the outcome of the election.

Along with having the President once again disavow White Supremacy, (like she doesn't already know about his prior stance on Racism) it seems like the typical attacks from the Left. All straight out of the movie "Citizen Kane" They know he's not a racist but they just need to hear him deny it on camera. It's ridiculous, sophomoric and just plain bad taste. I welcome this sort of rude nonsense though as it only serves to sway voters. The Liberal Media is so confident that they're the smartest people in the room. I wonder if they ever consider they may be wrong? Not likely. And that's why there may be some long faces once again after this election.
Old 17th October 2020, 01:53 AM   #61
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It seemed to me that Savannah was extremely interested in making that group a talking point. I've never heard of them. Maybe you can fill me in on how they affect the economy, unemployment rates, covid-19, Foreign Policy, or taxes etc? As an American I'm just not that interested in weird little groups on the Far Left or Far Right who can have no effect on the outcome of the election.

Along with having the President once again disavow White Supremacy, (like she doesn't already know about his prior stance on Racism) it seems like the typical attacks from the Left. All straight out of the movie "Citizen Kane" They know he's not a racist but they just need to hear him deny it on camera. It's ridiculous, sophomoric and just plain bad taste. I welcome this sort of rude nonsense though as it only serves to sway voters. The Liberal Media is so confident that they're the smartest people in the room. I wonder if they ever consider they may be wrong? Not likely. And that's why there may be some long faces once again after this election.
I KNOOOOOOOW! (in my best Sybil Fawlty voice) I just don't understand why the KKK, the Neo-Nazis and other white supremacist groups endorse Trump!

And just why there was a 'C' on the top of those apartment rental applications by people of color that he was sued for by the state of NY....why...it must have stood for "Canadian"! And I'm sure the black employees being told to leave the floor of his casinos when he arrived was because it was really just time for their breaks. They like to have them together, ya know.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 05:18 AM   #62
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I'm officially in love with Samantha Guthrie.

"You're not somebody's crazy uncle. You're the President."
That was the best line of the night.
Old 17th October 2020, 05:25 AM   #63
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Good, that makes a Biden victory more likely and that's all that matters. Oh and your stupid ass president agreed to the time and format. If it was a set up, president dumb **** fell for it.
Old 17th October 2020, 05:27 AM   #64
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why wouldn't you confront an obvious and disgusting bigot about his racism during a town hall? He did call Nazis "very fine people". Seems to me like that question is fair game.
Old 17th October 2020, 05:35 AM   #65
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Whiny snowflake conspiracy theorist defending whiny snowflake conspiracy theorist. How fitting.

I just knew time will be used as excuse for poor ratings (though no one forced Trump to have only one hour). Hilariously pathetic.

It seemed to me that Savannah was extremely interested in making that group a talking point.
It is almost like your fuhrer likes to promote conspiracy drivel coming from, among other things, QAnon.

I've never heard of them. (...) As an American I'm just not that interested in weird little groups on the Far Left or Far Right who can have no effect on the outcome of the election.
Pretty rich coming from conspiracy theorist. Frankly, I don't believe you never heard about QAnon until today.

Then again, maybe I am singling out this sentence unfairly. After all, anything that conspiracy theorist writes should be assumed to be lie until proven otherwise. That policy works well also against other nutjobs, religious extremists, far-x anything (republicans in particular).
Old 17th October 2020, 05:41 AM   #66
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Those are softballs! Rather than having to take a hard question about the finer points of incidence of taxation, all you have to do is disavow bad people. And yes, that involves doing a modicum of debate prep to know who the proud boys and Qanon are (the president should be as versed in politics as most people here).

ETA: not knowing the group makes the question easier. You can say you are not familiar, and that you will look into it, and get back to them.

He wasn't required to turn it into a challenge by making a half hearted defense of a group he supposedly knows little about. Again, just because he sucks doesn't mean the question was unfair.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 17th October 2020 at 05:54 AM.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:25 AM   #67
angrysoba
Philosophile

Interviewer: "You are the president of the United States. Leader of the free world. The most powerful man on the planet. When you speak, people listen. Can you denounce a bunch of wackadoodle conspiracy theorists?"

Trump: "Weeeeell, see, I don't really know much about them...."

I:"They claim the Democrats are a pedophile ring, and that you are their saviour..."

T *looks flattered*: "Oh they do? Oh well..."

I:"Crazy people, right?"

T:"I have no idea who they are..."

I:"I just told you..."

T: "Well, they are very strong against pedophiles so..."

I: "So that's a no, then? How about the crazy theory that you retweeted about Obama killing the Seals who killed Osama bin Laden?"

T: "Let's say about that one that I guess we'll never know..."

I: "Not condemning that. Can you condemn white supremacists?"

T: "I think Biden should condemn antifa..."

I: "That's not what I'm asking you to do. Is this really so hard...?"

T: "Well, I guess I could..."

I: "That's all you can do... well, can you condemn Putin...?"

T: "Putin? Why should I?"

I: "For interfering with our elections!!!1!?"

T: "Oh that... well... America interferes in elections. Maybe they can help us get dirt on Hunter Biden..."

I: "What...?"

T: "If the Ukrainians don't... can't understand why they won't do it for us..."

I: "Oh yeah, and putting bounties on the heads of our soldiers... can you condemn that....?"

T: "Bounty? What's wrong with that? I put Bounty on the heads of people in Puuuerto Rico? Remember me throwing them to those grateful people?"

I: "Is there nothing so despicable that you won't... what about the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia and the murder that he ordered?"

T: "I saved his ass!"

I: "A murderer?! What??! This is how you abuse your power?"

T: "I'm always trying to think of new ways. I was thinking about how if I just shot someone on 5th Avenue, it wouldn't change my support..."

I: "Holy Crap! What about North Korea's parading of nuclear weapons?"

T: "He's a great guy, Kim Jong-un. He wrote me a lovely letter!"

I: "Oh, what about Darth Vader's Death Star obliterating a whole planet believing the rebel base was on it?"

T: "Yes, I was sorry to hear about that..."

I: "Oh good, finally..."

T: "Yeah, it turns out that AOC or whoever was lying?! Lying?! Can you believe that! I hope they get lucky wiping out antifa next time!"
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 10:03 AM   #68
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Jesus Christ in ******* canoe, the orange idiot gets near daily reach-a-rounds from the talking heads at Fox News, fawning adulation from maga-hat morons at rallies, but can't handle a softball from a meanie* girl concerning the world's dumbest conspiracy theory?

What a snowflake.

*nasty
He's really going after her now that it's over. He wasn't so brave when she had her foot on his nuts. Trump really is a disgusting coward.
Old 18th October 2020, 10:35 AM   #69
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When you come to realize that Bigfoot is an active participant in the satanic, pedophilia conspiracy, you will be on the path to enlightenment. Bigfoot eats pizza after all.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:39 AM   #70
Monza
Alta Viro

Except it's already been pointed out that Biden's ratings were higher for the hour that both were on at the same time. Also, it's not Biden's fault that he has more energy and can perform a town hall for twice the length that tired Trump can.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 03:58 PM   #71
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Except it's already been pointed out that Biden's ratings were higher for the hour that both were on at the same time. Also, it's not Biden's fault that he has more energy and can perform a town hall for twice the length that tired Trump can.
We're falling into the same bs that Trump does over ratings. Like the however huge number of tweety feed subs he has. Does he, or any of us, actually believe those are all supporters?
He's not a rock star... half the people tune in for the train wreck (ok, some rock/pop stars would get that too).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics