ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: Is a Trump impeachment likely?
Yes, expect to see it happen sometime in the near future. 32 29.91%
No, Trump is safe(for now) 43 40.19%
Don't know 14 13.08%
On planet X Trump will dissolve Congress fire everyone and declare himself POTUS for life 18 16.82%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th May 2017, 10:02 AM   #121
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Oh please stop. He's a bad POTUS, but must one turn this thread into a discussion of "(Metaphorically, of course.)" sexual slurs?
Sexual? It's a common euphemism for lacking confidence or being insecure.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:09 AM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
It cannot be assumed that Republicans will be the majority in Congress when impeachment is implemented.

Nixon's resignation came after a vote to impeach lasting more than a year of investigation.

If Democrats were to take control of the House then it is very likely that Trump's term in office will not last a full term.
There had been no vote to impeach Nixon. There had been a committee hearings that voted to present Articles of Impeachment to the entire floor of the House of Representatives for vote. The vote and the Impeachment was imminent. ( a couple of days away) And unlike Bill Clinton, who was never in any danger of being removed from office, Nixon was sure to be impeached by the house and convicted and removed from office by the Senate.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:10 AM   #123
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Voted no because Congressional Republicans will have to do it. I just don't see that happening.

After 2018, may be different.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:25 AM   #124
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Republicans will resist as long as possible, and they might find one or two new dodges in this list from Art Buchwald, c.1973:

Now I understand why the GOP has been drumming up all those faux Clinton scandals. It gives some more variety. I count five times "Chappaquiddick" in that checklist.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:31 AM   #125
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Not based upon what we know so far.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:52 AM   #126
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Now I understand why the GOP has been drumming up all those faux Clinton scandals. It gives some more variety. I count five times "Chappaquiddick" in that checklist.
Buchwald was a great writer. Man that brings back memories. It also shows you that denial in those days is just like it is today.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:14 AM   #127
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Buchwald was a great writer. Man that brings back memories. It also shows you that denial in those days is just like it is today.
Remember Herblock?

WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 01:34 PM   #128
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Not based upon what we know so far.
Still not based upon what we know but closer. Lets wait until we see what was really said in this (relieved the pressure) memo the NY Times reported on.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:01 PM   #129
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Buchwald was a great writer. Man that brings back memories.
I'm a bit too young to have consciously followed Watergate, and then at most filtered through the Dutch media. It's quite exciting to follow this real-time with the NYT, WashPo etc. at my fingertips.

It also shows you that denial in those days is just like it is today.
And some of them even older, like "35 - I never trusted Haldeman and Ehrlichman to start with": that's the age-old "the king is good but has rotten advisors". Also funny, BTW, if you consider that Ehrlichman is German for "honest man".

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #130
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Zero chance of impeachment AND conviction. It's more likely Trump will stroke out or be assassinated.
Any of those are fine, just real soon but after Pence is done,

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:53 PM   #131
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Yep!! Great at his work!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics