ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot sightings , NAWAC

Old Today, 09:06 AM   #3521
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Ask yourself, does this pertain to Wood Apes? Is this bickering? If it doesn't meet the requirements for Wood Ape discussion then PM me. I'll be happy to discuss it with you.
Yes it certainly does, and I'm not bickering, just showing new comers to the thread that your comments should be weighted.

Here you are acting like the NAWAC people are acting, or mistaken, and yet you were on the BFF saying you had multiple Bigfoots stealing cigarette butts and walking across fields smoking them.

I think it is critical to show that your comments on the Sharon Hill thing, and the NAWAC project should be tempered by the knowledge that you are one of the lucky ones who has habituated the beasts.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #3522
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
What was Meldrum's reasoning for how Patty's foot looks? Did he have any? That's what's so funny about anyone arguing in favour of the PGF's validity, it's all so obviously silly and flawed.
I have no idea....considering his background and area of expertise, it's astounding to me he has a job teaching.
Cervelo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #3523
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

I thought she was simply invested in the topic. She is not religious, maybe she just needs something to believe in and skepticism is it. I don't think you need credentials to be a skeptic. It depends on what she's writing about as to whether I read her blog. I'm not interested in some of things she writes about.
I don't necessarily think anyone needs credentials in order to be a sceptic host on the radio, but my point is that I've never seen anything from her that'd make me think she was any more worth listening to than anyone else who knows more than one name for a Bigfoot.

I think she should have researched her stance more thoroughly rather than relying on BB's professional veneer to make a judgement.
That's my point, it's smacks of insincerity when a person promotes themselves as being one thing, but then does something that totally goes against those things for which they apparently stand. It also smacks of arrogance that she chose to bicker with people who rightly questioned her odd stance, and ignorance when she chose to walk away rather than explain why she felt the way she did and/or admit that she made a mistake.

Calling yourself "IDoubtIt" and getting hoodwinked by a known fabricator is just a tad too ironic for me to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:11 AM   #3524
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
it's astounding to me he has a job teaching.
Me, too. The fact that a guy can be a Mormon Bigfoot-believer and teach anthropology at a university is surely what the American Dream is all about!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:11 AM   #3525
Jodie
Philosopher

In response to Gilbert, hormones are a powerful thing and they over ride all common sense. I think she might have been swayed if she had a teeny crush on BB but I don't know that for sure. It's the only thing that I can think of that would explain her responses and then no further comment.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; Today at 09:13 AM.
Jodie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #3526
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Yes it certainly does, and I'm not bickering, just showing new comers to the thread that your comments should be weighted.

Here you are acting like the NAWAC people are acting, or mistaken, and yet you were on the BFF saying you had multiple Bigfoots stealing cigarette butts and walking across fields smoking them.

I think it is critical to show that your comments on the Sharon Hill thing, and the NAWAC project should be tempered by the knowledge that you are one of the lucky ones who has habituated the beasts.
Did you check the date on the post or choose to ignore it for the sake of the argument?

What happened after 2011? There is a multiple page diatribe of my conversion on here somewhere.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #3527
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I think it's wishful thinking, similar to my experience. I woke up but I can't speak to her current mind set.
So what is it about the NAWCKIES claims, (that you appear to once have supported or at least never challenged) that are so different from Painthorses claims?
Since they are so close to each other in presentation, as well as physically. It just seems a little odd to discount everything the NAWACKIES present as a fabrication and shall we say soft pedal on Painthorses claims.

Last edited by Cervelo; Today at 09:25 AM.
Cervelo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #3528
Gilbert Syndrome
Illuminator

In response to Gilbert, hormones are a powerful thing and they over ride all common sense. I think she might have been swayed if she had a teeny crush on BB but I don't know that for sure. It's the only thing that I can think of that would explain her responses and then no further comment.
Those are perfectly natural things, but in relation to her online persona and how she portrays herself, they're chalk and cheese. I think she'd get more credit for admitting to her mistake and explaining why she felt so different about that particular lie above all other very similar lies that she's been privy to over the years in this world of Bigfootdom.

For whatever reason, she chose to react to the whole thing as though she were having a meltdown. That to me isn't exactly the height of "critical thinking."

I've got no issues with Sharon, I don't know her, but in terms of the person she's trying to portray herself as being, I don't buy into it and I think it's all a bit of grandiose posturing. That's not to say I think she's pretending to be a sceptic or anything, but I think she's very much in love with the idea of her being this intelligent sleuth who uses science as a weapon to fight fraudulent behaviour.

Old Today, 09:25 AM   #3529
Jodie
Philosopher

So what is it about the NAWCKIES claims, (that you appear to once have supported or at least never challenged) that are so different from Painthorses claims?
Since they are so close to each other in presentation, as well as physically. It just seems a liitle odd to discount everything the NAWACKIES present as a fabrication and shall we say soft pedal on Painthorses claims.
I'm less bothered by Painthorse's claims because she hasn't franchised it, it's her personal experience on her own property. NAWAC is a commercial operation hunting a figment of the imagination with tax incentives.
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #3530
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I'm less bothered by Painthorse's claims because she hasn't franchised it, it's her personal experience on her own property. NAWAC is a commercial operation hunting a figment of the imagination with tax incentives.
But yet you defend Sharon Hills hypocrisy of owning two for profit business's....
One that supposedly exposes woo peddling and the another that helps woo peddlers be more sciency at peddling fabrications ......there's a word for that maybe I've already used it...but I think you get my point

Last edited by Cervelo; Today at 09:43 AM.
Old Today, 09:46 AM   #3531
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Did you check the date on the post or choose to ignore it for the sake of the argument?

What happened after 2011? There is a multiple page diatribe of my conversion on here somewhere.
Who knows maybe you'll convert back....do you still believe in past lives and NDE?
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #3532
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Those are perfectly natural things, but in relation to her online persona and how she portrays herself, they're chalk and cheese. I think she'd get more credit for admitting to her mistake and explaining why she felt so different about that particular lie above all other very similar lies that she's been privy to over the years in this world of Bigfootdom.

For whatever reason, she chose to react to the whole thing as though she were having a meltdown. That to me isn't exactly the height of "critical thinking."

I've got no issues with Sharon, I don't know her, but in terms of the person she's trying to portray herself as being, I don't buy into it and I think it's all a bit of grandiose posturing. That's not to say I think she's pretending to be a sceptic or anything, but I think she's very much in love with the idea of her being this intelligent sleuth who uses science as a weapon to fight fraudulent behaviour.
You might be right about her attitude, I've picked up on the tone. Still, no one is 100% all of the time and I think she does a good job overall with what she's trying to accomplish.
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #3533
Jodie
Philosopher

Who knows maybe you'll convert back....do you still believe in past lives and NDE?
PM me this question if you really want to know, this is the Wood Ape thread.
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #3534
Jodie
Philosopher

But yet you defend Sharon Hills hypocrisy of owning two for profit business's....
One that supposedly exposes woo peddling and the another that helps woo peddlers be more sciency at peddling fabrications ......there's a word for that maybe I've already used it...but I think you get my point
That's your take on what her businesses are promoting. My suggestion to you would be to write your own skeptical blog and spin a business or two from that rather than coveting Sharon's success.
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #3535
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

That's your take on what her businesses are promoting. My suggestion to you would be to write your own skeptical blog and spin a business or two from that rather than coveting Sharon's success.
That's exactly what her business's clearly state on both the websites, you've been shown this once already....due you enjoy being proven wrong?
My suggestion to you is get your facts straight before you post LMAO!

Please demonstrate where I have coveted Sharon's success/or lack of...this would appear to be another one of your baseless red herring/hand waving/veiled personal attacks that skirt the rules, but it's to be expected.

Last edited by Cervelo; Today at 10:32 AM.
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #3536
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, she certainly enjoyed Lyle Blackburn's new book:
http://sharonahill.com/monster-tales...s-book-review/

Quote:
I appreciated the solid descriptions of famous accounts like Honobia, Area X and the Myakka ape account. I’ve not seen these done in a popular book. Therefore, this book serves, as the author’s others, as a useful comprehensive source for the subject and a must-have reference for anyone interested in cryptozoology. Blackburn admits some stuff sounds too outrageous to believe but his goal is to document the stories. When people tell you this really happened to them, what is an objective interviewer to do? Some additional skepticism would be refreshing though he hints at it in places, such as suggesting that skunk ape serial promoter Dave Shealy might be jerking our chain (p 250-251) (a widely-accepted notion).
Sharon, an objective interviewer might bring up cognitive biases, memory biases, maybe try and trip up the subject. All of which are more productive than throwing up one's hands and saying "Oh well, what can you do?"

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #3537
Jodie
Philosopher

That's exactly what her business's clearly state on both the websites, you've been shown this once already....due you enjoy being proven wrong?
My suggestion to you is get your facts straight before you post LMAO!
That's not how I read her promotion.

Quote:
Please demonstrate where I have coveted Sharon's success/or lack of...this would appear to be another one of your baseless red herring/hand waving/veiled personal attacks that skirt the rules, but it's to be expected.

This entire asinine discussion.
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #3538
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

That's not how I read her promotion.

This entire asinine discussion.
Just as with your supposed exhaustive examination of the Qutachia NF (4hrs LOL!) you once again produce nothing to support your baseless claims....well done!!

"I highly recommend engaging in some critical thinking and actual investigation and confirmation of facts, before coming here to spout off the latest idea that pops into your head.

If you're not a child, quit acting like one." RayG

Last edited by Cervelo; Today at 12:42 PM.
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #3539
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I remember BB saying that they have to walk in to the cabin on the BFF. I don't have access to the BFF anymore so I can't check to see if I'm remembering this right.
I guess you didn't take his advice...

It's astounding how fullly engaged in the footer world you were from your extensive conversations with Brian Brown to your cig butt stealing Bigfoot in your backyard. Yet you have forgotten so much about the NAWACKIES....fascinating stuff.

Last edited by Cervelo; Today at 01:25 PM.
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #3540
GT/CS
Illuminator

Jodie,
I'll make it simple. Bigfoot doesn't exist. Sharon knows Bigfoot doesn't exist so she had a motive for posting what she said about her trip to the cabin, and she doesn't have the courage or the character to explain it. That's known as being a coward and a liar, plus a few other adjectives.
It's not that she was conned by BB or others, because SHE KNOWS BIGFOOT DOESN'T EXIST.

Last edited by GT/CS; Today at 03:01 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #3541
GT/CS
Illuminator

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by GT/CS; Today at 02:59 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:20 PM   #3542
Jodie
Philosopher

Just as with your supposed exhaustive examination of the Qutachia NF (4hrs LOL!) you once again produce nothing to support your baseless claims....well done!!

"I highly recommend engaging in some critical thinking and actual investigation and confirmation of facts, before coming here to spout off the latest idea that pops into your head.

If you're not a child, quit acting like one." RayG

How about doing some introspection on why this is so important to you?
Old Today, 04:23 PM   #3543
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Jodie,
I'll make it simple. Bigfoot doesn't exist. Sharon knows Bigfoot doesn't exist so she had a motive for posting what she said about her trip to the cabin, and she doesn't have the courage or the character to explain it. That's known as being a coward and a liar, plus a few other adjectives.
It's not that she was conned by BB or others, because SHE KNOWS BIGFOOT DOESN'T EXIST.
Well whatever it was that happened never got revisited again. That could be for numerous reasons. Bigfoot doesn't exist but weird crap happens all of the time. If you are the skeptic sort, and you can't identify why something is happening, it can shake up your world up pretty badly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal