IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th April 2012, 09:20 AM   #1801
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I've finally figured out the thread title. He meant the incredible odds against any fulfilled prophesies.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 10:22 AM   #1802
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I've looked at the first 20 points in post 1760 if you're interested.
So you did. Thanks. I enjoyed your humorous take.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 01:43 PM   #1803
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Continuing on the 21 is rather odd.
21. To begin in Galilee- Isa 9:1-2, Mt 4:12-17

For starters, Mt 4:12-17 is
Quote:
4:12 Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee;
4:13 And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim:
4:14 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
4:15 The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;
4:16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.
4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
While Zabulon shares a border with Naphtali, it has no coast, nor any contact with the sea of Galilee. Even worse, it's border is about 40km from Capernaum, so saying "in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim" is somewhat of a stretch.

The Isaiah bit is:
Quote:
9:1 Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations.
9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
The her referred to is not Zabulon, nor Naphtali, but the prophetess that was getting in on in chapter 8. But we know how DOC is with pronouns.

ETA: An even odder, claim is that "the havens of the sea" means the Dutch are descended from the tribe of Zabulon.

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 8th April 2012 at 01:55 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 01:59 PM   #1804
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

22. Ministry of Miracles- Isa 35:5-6,
Mt 9:35;11:4

Quote:
35:5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.
35:6 Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb sing: for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert.
Quote:
9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
Quote:
11:4 Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:
For starters, Mt 11:4 seems to be irrelevant.

Mt 9:35 is a blatant attempt to marry Isaiah with Jebus, and there is no evidence it ever happened. It is another case of the babble saying it must be true because it says so.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 02:11 PM   #1805
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

23. Teacher of parables- Ps 78:1-4,
Mt 13:34-35

Quote:
13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.
That's not what Ps 78:1-4 actually says.
Quote:
78:1 Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
78:2 I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:
78:3 Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
78:4 We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
It's a misquote.
"I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world." versus "We will not hide them from their children"

Old 8th April 2012, 02:23 PM   #1806
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

24. He was to enter the temple- Mal 3:1,
Mt 21:10-12

Quote:
3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the LORD, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
This refers specifically to Elijah, not John the Baptist. The babble bashers omit this:
Quote:
Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD
Yup Elijah, and the end of the world. Guess what didn't happen.

Quote:
21:10 And when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this?
21:11 And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.
21:12 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,
No evidence, just a claim.
And John explicitly is quoted as stating that he was not Elijah:
Quote:
John 1:21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.
Also the world didn't end.

Old 8th April 2012, 02:33 PM   #1807
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

25. Enter Jerusalem on donkey-
Zech 9:9, Mt 21:1-7

The claim:
Quote:
21:1 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples,
21:2 Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.
21:3 And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.
21:4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
21:5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass.
21:6 And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them,
21:7 And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.
Fulfils:
Quote:
9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
Conveniently leaving out the following:
Quote:
9:10 And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.
9:11 As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.
9:12 Turn you to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee;
9:13 When I have bent Judah for me, filled the bow with Ephraim, and raised up thy sons, O Zion, against thy sons, O Greece, and made thee as the sword of a mighty man.
How convenient, 9:9 is good, but let's ignore 9:10-13.
Not to mention that
A. there is no evidence for such an event outside the babble, and
B. Even if it actually happened it could have easily been an attempt to gain holey babble endorsement of a common or garden rebel.

Old 8th April 2012, 02:46 PM   #1808
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Isaiah 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
Sorry, but this is not a prophecy of any sort. And to make matters worse it is contradicted in Romans 9:33. Quelle surprise.

Quote:
Ps 118:22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.
There is no connection between this and the previous quote, other than stone, which is kind of common, don't ya think?

Quote:
1 Pt 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
Yup, let's just take a square peg and bludgeon it into a round hole.

Old 8th April 2012, 03:06 PM   #1809
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

27. Light to Gentiles- Isa 49:6, Acts 13:46-48 The day Jesus was
crucified

Quote:
Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
A woolly "prediction" like that could be manipulated to fit anything.
It's not really a prophecy at all.

Quote:
13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.
Equivalent to
"taking my ball home from the schoolyard."

Quote:
13:47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.
Yay, let's just hijack the OT for our own ends.

Quote:
13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.
Yay, the goatherders were saved from hell and damnation.
All claim, no evidence, not even an actual prophecy.

Well, almost half way through with nothing much to show for the prophecies.

Someone else can do the next section, cos I am bored with it at this stage.

Old 8th April 2012, 07:00 PM   #1810
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Nor is my question about you personal beliefs or opinions. Rather, it is about whether the Book of Jonah is homiletic fiction or historical fact. You have asserted the latter. That being the case, the following is of great importance:

1) We have the remains of Nineveh. The city was about 5 kilometers at its widest dimension...
Again no source, but even if true then I assume you don't believe big cities grow and there would be some people of Nineveh who chose to live outside any city walls that might exist such as farmers, shepherds, vineyard growers, and other people who just choose to live outside any city walls but still consider themselves part of Nineveh. And building materials are probably scarce in that arid climate so it is logical to assume any abandoned dwelling wouldn't last long especially over the thousands of years of wars and desert winds. And that would apply to Egypt too.

Last edited by DOC; 8th April 2012 at 07:07 PM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 07:10 PM   #1811
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Again no source, but even if true then I assume you don't believe big cities grow and there would be some people of Nineveh who chose to live outside any city walls that might exist such as farmers, shepherds, vineyard growers, and other people who just choose to live outside any city walls but still consider themselves part of Nineveh. And building materials are probably scarce in that arid climate so it is logical to assume any abandoned dwelling wouldn't last long especially over the thousands of years of wars and desert winds. And that would apply to Egypt too.
Again, another no source post.

ETA:
DOC, There have been a number of posts now which have addressed that google list.
It is clear, as was clear when you first presented it, that it is underwhelming nonsense.
As it stands, you have YET to present even one single fulfilled prophecy.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser

Last edited by joobz; 8th April 2012 at 07:18 PM.
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 07:13 PM   #1812
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I can't quite figure out if you made a funny or a typo. Either way, I like it very much.
It was an accident. But don't tell my post docs. They would likely not appreciate the Freudian slip.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 07:15 PM   #1813
joobz
Tergiversator

Update with new page
DOC has successfully demonstrated a fullfilled biblical prophecy: 1
DOC

DOC has failed to demonstrate that biblical prophecies have been fullfilled. 41
Joobz
Foster Zygote
jond
abaddon
mashuna
zooterkin
Mojo
Lucian
Amazer
Helen
Filippo Lippi
Hokulele
RoboTimbo
FastEddieB
joseph8th
kmortis
x
RobDegraves
Elizabeth I
Lukraak_Sisser
Mudcat
ddt
Mister Agenda* Whose opinion DOC labeled as Unbiased
catsmate
tsig
Leumas
Brainache
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
pakeha
dafydd
TimCallahan
Wildy
Lrrr
Cantab
Sezme
AdMan
Alice Shortcake
Sun Countess
Agatha

Doc has successfullly demonstrated that the OT is largely made up of incomprehensible gibberish: 13
Lucian
Helen
kmortis
ddt
Leumas
Mudcat
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
Brainache
pakeha
Cantab
Sezme

So you don't believe any of these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
No:19

zooterkin
joobz
kerikiwi
pakeha
Mojo
dafydd
Lucian
ddt
welshdean
Agatha
Elizabeth I
Craig B
catsmate1
Helen
carlitos
abaddon
Robotimbo
Mudcat
Welshdean

Yes:0
Old 8th April 2012, 07:15 PM   #1814
Marduk
Banned

Again no source, but even if true then I assume you don't believe big cities grow and there would be some people of Nineveh who chose to live outside any city walls that might exist such as farmers, sheppards, vineyard growers, and other people who just choose to live outside any city walls but still consider themselves part of Nineveh. And building materials are probably scarce in that arid climate so it is logical to assume any abandoned dwelling wouldn't last long especially over the thousands of years of wars and desert winds. And that would apply to Egypt too.
theres a wonderful science called Archaeology Doc
heard of it ?

ok lets try another approach
Jonah who is deposited on the shore of the Mediteranean by the "great fish" makes it to Nineveh in 24 hrs
Nineveh is 390 miles from the coast at its shortest point
so Jonah was averaging 16 miles an hour on foot which is twice the average human speed over that kind of distance.

you don't need bs excuses here if you can't do the simple math don't bother with a reply
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #1815
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Actually, I DID give the source as a link in post #1761. Here it is again. And again, as I told you in that post, you need to scroll down a bit to find the map of the city. And again, the city is only about 1/14 the size it should be according to the Book of Jonah. To accept your bit of special pleading that the city was actually 14 times greater in width than the walled portion, we would have to believe thatall this dense population surrounded the walled city, yet no trace of it survived, though the walled city did. Whether you like it or not, you have to go with the physical evidence.

By the way, I would think it would be a particularly egregious sin for a Christian to lie on Easter Sunday.

Last edited by TimCallahan; 8th April 2012 at 09:24 PM.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 01:03 AM   #1816
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
theres a wonderful science called Archaeology Doc
heard of it ?

Jonah who is deposited on the shore of the Mediteranean by the "great fish" makes it to Nineveh in 24 hrs
Nineveh is 390 miles from the coast at its shortest point
so Jonah was averaging 16 miles an hour on foot which is twice the average human speed over that kind of distance.
Only twice? You're being too generous! Average walking speed is around 4mph, which most people couldn't keep up without stopping for 24 hours. Even for something like a 100 mile endurance run, which participants train extensively for, 24 hours is regarded as a good time, so 4 days of that would be a superhuman effort. (Even King Harold's army took 4 days to travel the 185 miles to Stamford Bridge.)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 01:21 AM   #1817
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Only twice? You're being too generous! Average walking speed is around 4mph, which most people couldn't keep up without stopping for 24 hours. Even for something like a 100 mile endurance run, which participants train extensively for, 24 hours is regarded as a good time, so 4 days of that would be a superhuman effort. (Even King Harold's army took 4 days to travel the 185 miles to Stamford Bridge.)
Harold's army achieved an astonishing feat, if so. Much better than more recent armies.
Quote:
From the Manual for Noncommissioned Officers and Privates of Infantry in the Army of the United States, Washington, Government Printing Office, 1918: "The rate of march depends greatly upon the condition of the roads and weather, but the average rate for infantry is 2 1/2 miles per hour. This allows for a rest of 10 minutes each hour. The total distance marched in a day depends not only on the rate of march, but upon the size of the command, large commands covering about 10 miles per day, while small commands easily cover double that distance."
So 20 miles a day max.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 02:05 AM   #1818
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Harold's army achieved an astonishing feat, if so. Much better than more recent armies. So 20 miles a day max.
It was an astonishing feat, and I think pretty well documented, and at the end of it they fought and beat the invaders. A bit more digging, however, shows that the soldiers would probably all have been mounted for the journey (though they fought on foot); I was a bit misled by the fact that it's often described as a march. However, this just goes to show even more strongly the impossibility of 390 miles in a day, or even a week.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 02:14 AM   #1819
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Someone else can do the next section, cos I am bored with it at this stage.

In any case, the whole lot can amount to nothing beyond "the Bible is true bacause the Bible says it is true..."

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 02:19 AM   #1820
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

It was an astonishing feat, and I think pretty well documented, and at the end of it they fought and beat the invaders. A bit more digging, however, shows that the soldiers would probably all have been mounted for the journey (though they fought on foot); I was a bit misled by the fact that it's often described as a march. However, this just goes to show even more strongly the impossibility of 390 miles in a day, or even a week.
More recently, cavalry forces on the march seem to have been reckoned to travel twice as far in a day as infantry units. They could achieve much higher speeds on forced marches, at the cost of the condition of the horses, of course. As Harold's men fought on foot, they might well have been willing to risk this.

But we can't assume Jonah rode a horse in his trip through Nineveh! So the city must (according to the Biblical account) have been about 60 miles across, and not the much larger distance suggested by King Harold's expedition.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 02:25 AM   #1821
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

But we can't assume Jonah rode a horse in his trip through Nineveh! So the city must (according to the Biblical account) have been about 60 miles across, and not the much larger distance suggested by King Harold's expedition.
Ah, this is about the distance to Ninevah, 390 miles, that Jonah supposedly travelled in a day, not the size of the city.
Old 9th April 2012, 04:32 AM   #1822
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Continuing on the 21 is rather odd.

Shouldn't that be "incredibly odd"?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 05:00 AM   #1823
Marduk
Banned

Only twice? You're being too generous!
I'm trying to balance biblical guesstimates, like the other one where it took that guy with the meaningless name 40 years to cross 1000 miles with supernatural guidance accompanied by half the worlds population
and then when he got there God wouldn't let him in
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 05:23 AM   #1824
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, this is about the distance to Ninevah, 390 miles, that Jonah supposedly travelled in a day, not the size of the city.
By that calculation of a supposed single day's travel, Nineveh would be 1,170 miles in diameter, at 3 days' journey. Its walls would be not far short of 4,000 miles long. That's BIG! Archeological investigations fail to confirm these figures, as already noted.
Old 9th April 2012, 08:40 AM   #1825
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Nor is my question about you personal beliefs or opinions. Rather, it is about whether the Book of Jonah is homiletic fiction or historical fact. You have asserted the latter. That being the case, the following is of great importance:

1) We have the remains of Nineveh. The city was about 5 kilometers at its widest dimension.

2) As an avid hiker, I can tell you that an adult can walk about 15 miles in one day. Thus, a city that would take three days to cross on foot would be about 45 miles across

3) Since 1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers, or, to round off, about 1.6 kilometers, a city 45 mile across at its widest point would have to be a bit over 70 kilometers wide.

4) Since Nineveh, at 5 K, was only 1/14th. of that 70 kilometers, the dimensions given in the Book of Jonah are hardly historical.

There are a number of possible explanations for this. One is that the Book of Jonah was historical, but full of excessive exaggeration. Of course, such exaggeration would cast some doubt on its historicity. Another explanation is that the Book of Jonah was not historically true, but was instead a fictional work meant to teach a moral lesson, much as were the parables of Jesus.

My question for you is this: If you accept the Book of Jonah as an historical account, how do you reconcile the dimensions of the city given in it with dimensions of Nineveh we know from its physical remains?

Please don't dodge this question.
Surely Tim, a scholar of your caliber has heard of the Nineva Hurdle Company, Inc. They had a booming business until Babylon declared hurdles illegal. So there they were with all this stock just lining the streets...
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 09:14 AM   #1826
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

Kindly add me to the list of unbelievers that in the Google List of Prophecies (GLoP).
Old 9th April 2012, 10:17 AM   #1827
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lrrr View Post
Kindly add me to the list of unbelievers that in the Google List of Prophecies (GLoP).

I've taken a look at the GLoP - and...

Please add me too - I'm a gloppist! (or is that a glopper?)
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 02:58 PM   #1828
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

You can add me to the list of people who think the OT is largely made up of incoherent gibberish.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 09:41 PM   #1829
TimCallahan
Philosopher

DOC: I'll give you a break. Let's say that Jonah, being exhausted from his journey inside the whale, could only make 5 miles a day instead of 15. Since a mile is roughly 1.6 kilometers, 5 X 1.6 = 8.0 kilometers a day. Thus, a city three days journey across would be 3 X 8 = 24 kilometers in width. However, Nineveh was, at best, 4 or 5 Km at its widest point. Thus, even if we make this adjustment, the city is only about 1/6 to 1/5 the size it ahould be, according to the Book of Jonah. Oh, and lest you try to accuse me not giving a source for these measurements, it's here.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 10:33 PM   #1830
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Perhaps Jonah was the Hebrew word for "krill," explaining both his slow gait and his time in the whale before being sicked up
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2012, 11:02 PM   #1831
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Marduk View Post

Going back to this, where does it say that Jonah got to Nineveh in 24 hours?
Quote:
Jonah 2:
10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

Jonah 3:
1 And the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the second time, saying,

2 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee.

3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.

4 And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.
Old 10th April 2012, 01:18 AM   #1832
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by joobz View Post

No:19

Not to pick nits or anything but please consider that according to the English grammatical rule of the double negative that could be read as everyone listed after that part believes that the prophecies came came true.
Old 10th April 2012, 04:14 AM   #1833
Wildy
Adelaidean

Are we sure that the Nineveh passage is about the size of the city? I guess I'm reading the passage wrong because I would have thought that it was saying that the city was three days away from wherever Jonah was at the time. But if that's right then it just raises even more questions.
Old 10th April 2012, 04:16 AM   #1834
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Quote:
3 So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey.
Putting it that way, it sounds like Nineveh was three days away, not three days across.

Also, I hate to seem like an apologist, but the city of Jacksonville, FL is not a very big city, yet as I recall it takes up all of the county that it's in, making it technically huge.

Still, it's this very vagueness of the bible that makes its meaning malleable enough to fit nearly any interpretation.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 10th April 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 04:25 AM   #1835
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

For those interested in the factual history of Nineveh, Dan Carlin did an episode of his excellent podcast, "Hardcore History" titled "Judgment at Nineveh".

Description: “Will our modern society ever decline and fall? Dan uses that idea as a backdrop for a look at the first great empire in history, the biblical-era Assyrians. Were they ancient Nazis, or the guardians of civilization?”

Free when first issued, now $1.99 but well worth it.

http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.ph...roducts_id=143
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 04:35 AM   #1836
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Putting it that way, it sounds like Nineveh was three days away, not three days across
That's not how the Biblical translators generally interpret the passage. See posts #1757 and #1758.

Last edited by Craig B; 10th April 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10th April 2012, 05:11 AM   #1837
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

That's not how the Biblical translators generally interpret the passage.
OK, but to repeat: why wouldn't the inspired word of God be just a tad less ambiguous?
Old 10th April 2012, 05:39 AM   #1838
dafydd
Banned

OK, but to repeat: why wouldn't the inspired word of God be just a tad less ambiguous?
One would expect that. Perhaps this god fella had other things on his mind at the time.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2012, 05:46 AM   #1839
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Well, that is the KJV, and the phrasing was probably not ambiguous at the time, especially in context. (Jonah went to Nineveh, as instructed; then we talk about the size of the place. Then verse 4 talks about entering a day's journey into the city, implying that it takes more than one day to get through, which reinforces verse 3 as referring to the size of the place, not how far it was from where Jonah started.)

I'm interested in hearing from Marduk where he got the "390 miles in a day" from. We had an interesting digression about marching rates, but it seems it may not have been sparked by anything relevant to this thread. Partly my fault, as I just looked at the figures in his post, and didn't check back to see what he was basing them on, and I should have known better.
Old 10th April 2012, 06:47 AM   #1840
Wildy
Adelaidean

I think this cartoon pretty much explains everything:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy