IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th April 2012, 07:22 AM   #2201
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Perhaps. Zoom in and you may see fishermen's nets hanging out to dry, somewhere near the shore, and DOC will claim it to be a fulfilment of Biblical prophecy.
Finding fisherman's nets on the seashore? Now what are the odds against that?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 07:23 AM   #2202
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
No, Tyre has yet to be turned into a piscatorial theme pub.

Perhaps. Zoom in and you may see fishermen's nets hanging out to dry, somewhere near the shore, and DOC will claim it to be a fulfilment of Biblical prophecy.

Good points both. It might serve well to remind DOC that he needs to reconcile the picture on the previous page with this:

Ezekiel 26

4And they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.

5It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD: and it shall become a spoil to the nations.

But only after he's answered this, of course:
We could, if Doc would just answer our questions. I'll try again. Doc, would you agree that the prophecy about uncircumcised men entering Jerusalem has failed? If it has not failed, when do you expect a ban on uncut willies to be enforced?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

Last edited by Akhenaten; 20th April 2012 at 07:31 AM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 07:40 AM   #2203
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
...Also Islam spread originally by the sword; and Buddhism is based in a philosophy, it is not dependent on a singular historical event as Christianity is.
...and whose actions even play a big part in our upcoming election.
[quote=DOC;8216261 ... Christianity grew peacefully during its first 300 years in the brutal Roman Empire ...[/QUOTE]

Could you explain these comments of yours in the context of bibical prophecy, DOC?
Old 20th April 2012, 07:49 AM   #2204
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

If God exists miracles are possible. Something had to turn a bunch of scared apostles into bold evangelists that shook up the world, greatly contributed to the extinction of the Greek and Roman gods, and whose actions even play a big part in our upcoming election.

Perhaps, but you still haven't demonstrated that any prophecies were fulfilled.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 07:56 AM   #2205
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
...Also Islam spread originally by the sword; and Buddhism is based in a philosophy, it is not dependent on a singular historical event as Christianity is.
...and whose actions even play a big part in our upcoming election.
... Christianity grew peacefully during its first 300 years in the brutal Roman Empire ...

Could you explain these comments of yours in the context of bibical prophecy, DOC?

Aren't those things the fulfillment of prophecies that Jesus himself made when he said:
Matthew 10:34

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Oh, wait . . .

Last edited by Akhenaten; 20th April 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 08:16 AM   #2206
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
- Arnaud Amalric, Abbot of Cīteaux and Papal Legate
Good question, DOC.

If I was a proto-Christian doing my thing in an empire that I thought would string me up, nail me to a tree, feed me to some lions or light me up like a candle I'd be being pretty peaceful about it too, although the fact is it wasn't the religious pursuits of the Christians that got them in trouble so much as their seditious meddling and all-round unwillingness to play by the rules.

Just like today, in other words.

Once the ball got rolling, however, it was a bit of a different story though, wasn't it? Face it DOC, the Romans were extremely tolerant when it came to the religions of those they conquered and in many cases they adopted those religions as their own.

Christianity, on the other hand, has never learned to play nice with the other kids. And never will.
Roman legionaries had the cross on their shields, I think they carried swords.

ETA: Well Jesus did say that those who don't have a sword should buy one, maybe this is a fulfilled prophesy.

Last edited by tsig; 20th April 2012 at 08:30 AM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 08:20 AM   #2207
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Did DOC go off on another 10 day sabbatical/retreat?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 09:18 AM   #2208
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Going once more to DOC's link, here are prophecies 11 through 19 of the 60:

11. He pre-existed creation- Mic 5:21, Pet 1:20

I'm assuming this is a typo, since the last verse in Micah 5 is verse 15. Micah 5:2 says of the Messiah that, ". . . his origin is from old, from ancient days." The only real assertion that Jesus pre-existed creation is in the opening of the Gospel of John. In any case, finding fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies in the New Testament is hardly stunning, since the authors of the gospels used and abused the Hebrew scriptures to find anything they could claim to be prophetic. Further, there's no basis to believe that anything extraordinary about Jesus, particularly his miracles, are anything but fiction. Consider the walking dead in Matthew's account of the Passion. Since there's no corroborating evidence of this incident - even among the other gospels - it is most likely Matthew's invention.

12. He shall be called Lord- Ps 110:1, Acts 2:36

This is hardly a prophecy, that his followers hailed him as "Lord."

13. Called Immanuel (God with us)- Isa 7:14,
Mt 1:22-23

I've already explained this one in my previous post on the subject of these 60 prophecies. The Immanuel prophecy was meant to be fulfilled during the time of the Assyrian Empire. In any case, this is redundant and shouldn't be accorded the status of yet another prophecy.

14. Prophet- Deut 18:18-19, Acts 3:18-25

Gee! The messiah would be a prophet! How astounding! Of course, what Jesus prophesied, the end of the world in his generation didn't take place.

15. Priest- Ps 110:4, Heb 5:5-6

Wow! Here's another one! He'd be a priest - although Jesus in fact was not a priest.

16. Judge- Isa 33:22, Jn 5:22-23
17. King- Ps 2:6, Jn 18:33-37

Ditto for these two. His followers, writing in the New Testament called him judge and king.

18. Anointed by the Spirit- Isa 11:2, Mt 3:16-17

Isaiah 11:2 says that, "the Spirit of the LORD will rest upon him." Matthew 3:16, 17 are simply Matthew's account of the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist. Jesus rises out of the water and see the Holy Spirit descending on him like a dove. The verses also say the heavens were opened and a voice from heaven says, "This is my beloved son with whom I am well pleased." Again, there's no corroborating evidence, even among the other gospels. For example, Mark has the voice from heaven say, "You are my beloved son . . . " making the whole thing a subjective epiphany.

19. His zeal for God- Ps 69:9, Jn 2:15-17

The Gospel of John simply refers back to Ps. 69:9 to make Jesus "fulfill" what isn't even a prophecy in the Old Testament. By the way, this is from John's version of the cleansing of the Temple, which the Synoptic Gospels place at the end of Jesus' ministry. John places it at the beginning. Thus, the whole incident is suspect.

Again, as with the first ten, prophecies 11 through 19 are without substance. They are a series of unverifiable claims made in the New Testament that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 10:07 AM   #2209
joobz
Tergiversator

To help us get back to the OP, I shall post an updated list of where we stand regarding the arguments made.

DOC has successfully demonstrated a fulfilled biblical prophecy: 1
DOC

DOC has failed to demonstrate that biblical prophecies have been fullfilled. 43
Joobz
Foster Zygote
jond
abaddon
mashuna
zooterkin
Mojo
Lucian
Amazer
Helen
Filippo Lippi
Hokulele
RoboTimbo
FastEddieB
joseph8th
kmortis
x
RobDegraves
Elizabeth I
Lukraak_Sisser
Mudcat
ddt
Mister Agenda* Whose opinion DOC labeled as Unbiased
catsmate
tsig
Leumas
Brainache
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
pakeha
dafydd
TimCallahan
Wildy
Lrrr
Cantab
Sezme
AdMan
Alice Shortcake
Sun Countess
Agatha
Akhenaten/Aberhaten
lowpro

Doc has successfullly demonstrated that the OT is largely made up of incomprehensible gibberish: 16
Lucian
Helen
kmortis
ddt
Leumas
Mudcat
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
Brainache
pakeha
Cantab
Sezme
Nay_sayer
Akhenaten
lowpro

Do you believe any of these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
No:23

zooterkin
joobz
kerikiwi
pakeha
Mojo
dafydd
Lucian
ddt
welshdean
Agatha
Elizabeth I
Craig B
catsmate1
Helen
carlitos
abaddon
Robotimbo
Mudcat
Welshdean
Lrrr
Rincewind
Akhenaten
Lowpro

So you believe these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
Yes:0
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 10:41 AM   #2210
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Going once more to DOC's link, here are prophecies 11 through 19 of the 60:...
I suspect this 60 prophecy list is simply going to turn out to be one of those memes that get copy/pasted without ever being understood or verified.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:51 PM   #2211
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
I suspect this 60 prophecy list is simply going to turn out to be one of those memes that get copy/pasted without ever being understood or verified.
I suspect your prophecy is going to be the closest thing to a fulfilled biblical prophecy we are ever going to see.
And my prophecy about your prophecy will be a close runner up...
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 08:40 PM   #2212
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Going once more to DOC's link, here are prophecies 20 through 27, concerning the ministry of Jesus:

Concerning His ministry:
Prophesied---Fulfilled
20. Preceded by a messenger- Isa 40:3,
Mt 3:1-3

Matthew 3:1 - 3 as Matthew often does, claims something happened, in this case, John the Baptist preaching, then claims it to be the fulfillment of a prophecy, in this case Isa. 20:3.

21. To begin in Galilee- Isa 9:1-2, Mt 4:12-17
The same is true of this prophecy.

22. Ministry of Miracles- Isa 35:5-6,
Mt 9:35;11:4
Again, Isaiah predicts it. Matthew claims it happened, Again, there is no outside corrroboration of the miracles sopposedly wrought by Jesus.

23. Teacher of parables- Ps 78:1-4,
Mt 13:34-35

Again, it's the same old claim (Mt. 13: 34, 35):

Al this Jesus said to the crowds in parables; indeed he said nothing to them without a parable. Thuis was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet: z" I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter what has been hidden since the foundation of the world." And the "prophecy" isn't really that; it's a psalm.

24. He was to enter the temple- Mal 3:1,
Mt 21:10-12
Wow, Jesus entered the temple, something any messianic pretender would naturally do.

25. Enter Jerusalem on donkey-
Zech 9:9, Mt 21:1-7

This, once again, is Matthew trying desperately to make jesus fulfill a prophecy (Zech. 9:9). In this instance, he goes to absurd lengths to get the prophecy right and only succeeds in getting it wrong. Zechariah 9:9 says:

Rojoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Lo, your king comes to you;
triumphant an victorious is he,
humble and riding on an ass,
on a colt, the foal of an ass.

Here Zechariah uses a west Semitic poetic convention twice. The convention is to repeat the name of a personage or even a beast with slight variation. Since Zion is the temple mount in Jerusalem, the daughter of Zion and the daughter of Jerusalem are the same woman. Likewise, the ass and the colt, te foal of an ass are the same beast.

Matthew says that by Jesus telling his discipled to bring the ass and its foal, he was fulfilling the words of Zechariah, and even quotes Zech. 9:9. However, writing in Greek, centuries after the time of Zechariah, he misses the Semitic poetic convention. The results are rather hilarious (Mt. 21:6, 7, emphasis added):

The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them; they brought the ass and the colt, and put their garments on them, and he sat thereon.

So, to "fulfill" the prophecy to the letter, Matthew has Jesus riding into Jerusalem on two animals at the same time, like a circus stunt rider. Christian apologists often try to say that he only rode on the colt, which followed its mother, who was being led by one ofthe disciples. However, this, of course, is not what the verse says. It says he sat on both beasts at the same time.

26. Stone of stumbling to Jews- Isa 28:16;
Ps 118:22 1 Pet 2:6-8

Again, this is the same old trick of writing something in the New Testament to deliberately reflect =something in the Jewish scriptures, then to claim it's a prophecy fulfilled.

27. Light to Gentiles- Isa 49:6, Acts 13:46-48. Ditto for this one.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 09:24 PM   #2213
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

TimCallahan

Great minds, as they say. See #2152.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2012, 10:19 PM   #2214
TimCallahan
Philosopher

TimCallahan

Great minds, as they say. See #2152.
Sorry I missed that one, Craig. Oh well, even though it's been said twice, I doubt we'll get one response from DOC.
Old 21st April 2012, 04:59 AM   #2215
DOC
Philosopher

We could, if Doc would just answer our questions. I'll try again. Doc, would you agree that the prophecy about uncircumcised men entering Jerusalem has failed? If it has not failed, when do you expect a ban on uncut willies to be enforced?
I've already answered this question. The verse could be interpreted as conditional since God gave two commands in the verse; what if the Jews don't obey those commands. Also he could have easily been referring to invading heathen armies (since he was talking about invasions in the previous chapter) and the prophecy could have been intended for their lifetimes. If I say a Yankee fan will never enter this house. I obviously mean during my lifetime, but I don't actually say that, it's implied.

Also it's not practical to believe that he also meant such people as traders and caravans who might pass through the large city for economic reasons.

Last edited by DOC; 21st April 2012 at 05:15 AM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 05:11 AM   #2216
dafydd
Banned

I've already answered this question. The verse could be interpreted as conditional since God gave two commands in the verse; what if the Jews don't obey those commands. Also he could have easily been referring to invading heathen armies (since he was talking about invasions earlier) and the prophecy could have been intended for their lifetimes. If I say a Yankee fan will never enter this house. I obviously mean during my lifetime, but I don't actually say that, it's implied.
So the holy word of god is very wishy washy. Was your god incapable of expressing himself clearly? As for the nonsense about the Yankees, whose lifetime does the prophecy apply to? The prophecy has failed, live with it.

Last edited by dafydd; 21st April 2012 at 05:12 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 05:19 AM   #2217
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
To help us get back to the OP, I shall post an updated list of where we stand regarding the arguments made.

DOC has successfully demonstrated a fulfilled biblical prophecy: 1
DOC

DOC has failed to demonstrate that biblical prophecies have been fullfilled. 43
Joobz
Foster Zygote
jond
abaddon
mashuna
zooterkin
Mojo
Lucian
Amazer
Helen
Filippo Lippi
Hokulele
RoboTimbo
FastEddieB
joseph8th
kmortis
x
RobDegraves
Elizabeth I
Lukraak_Sisser
Mudcat
ddt
Mister Agenda* Whose opinion DOC labeled as Unbiased
catsmate
tsig
Leumas
Brainache
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
pakeha
dafydd
TimCallahan
Wildy
Lrrr
Cantab
Sezme
AdMan
Alice Shortcake
Sun Countess
Agatha
Akhenaten/Aberhaten
lowpro

Doc has successfullly demonstrated that the OT is largely made up of incomprehensible gibberish: 16
Lucian
Helen
kmortis
ddt
Leumas
Mudcat
Welshdean
Rincewind
Multivac
Brainache
pakeha
Cantab
Sezme
Nay_sayer
Akhenaten
lowpro

Do you believe any of these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
No:23

zooterkin
joobz
kerikiwi
pakeha
Mojo
dafydd
Lucian
ddt
welshdean
Agatha
Elizabeth I
Craig B
catsmate1
Helen
carlitos
abaddon
Robotimbo
Mudcat
Welshdean
Lrrr
Rincewind
Akhenaten
Lowpro

So you believe these[prophecies in a google list] came true?
Yes:0
Joobz how come you are allowed to continuously (possibly 15 to 20 times) give the opinions of people, but I'm no longer allowed to give the opposite opinion (concerning prophecy) of attorney Jay Sekulow. That's not fair.

Plus the fact it is a bandwagon fallacy with no new relevant information given (other then some anonymous person's opinion).

Just let the posts speak for themselves.

Also this is a skeptic website. You parading your poll is like me parading a poll taken at a Tea party convention (where there was a debate about Obama's performance) that states 98% of those that heard the debate think Obama is not doing a good job.

Last edited by DOC; 21st April 2012 at 05:44 AM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 05:22 AM   #2218
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I've already answered this question.

No you haven't. You made up some special pleading nonsense and typed it in the space underneath the question.

Not the same thing as answering at all, and that's why you'll find that the question will be repeated until you do actually answer.

The verse could be interpreted as conditional since God gave two commands in the verse; what if the Jews don't obey those commands.

Are you able to point out the word 'if' in the verse?

If the answer is 'no' then your argument collapses.

Also he could have easily been referring to invading heathen armies (since he was talking about invasions in the previous chapter) and the prophecy could have been intended for their lifetimes.

None of this is even hinted at in the verse in question.

This 'could have' garbage is nothing more than you making up stuff. It's not now and never has been part of the prophecy.

If I say a Yankee fan will never enter this house. I obviously mean during my lifetime, but I don't actually say that, it's implied.

Absolute rubbish.

The meaning you are claiming is not at all implicit in the words you have used, much less is it obvious.

This prophecy, like your desperate, straw-clutching argument is an utter failure.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 21st April 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 21st April 2012, 05:23 AM   #2219
dafydd
Banned

Joobz how come you are allowed to continuously give the opinions of people but I'm no longer allowed to give the opposite opinion of attorney Jay Sekulow in here. That's not fair.
The poll is for members of this site. It reflects how well you are doing in your attempt to convince us that there are fulfilled bible prophecies. You have yet to show us a prophecy that has panned out. Anyway, one vote for your side wouldn't make much difference.
Old 21st April 2012, 05:25 AM   #2220
dafydd
Banned

No you haven't. You made up some special pleading nonsense and typed it in the space underneath the question.

Not the same thing as answering at all, and that's why you'll find that the question will be repeated until you do actually answer.
Exactly. Responding and answering are not the same thing,Doc.
Old 21st April 2012, 05:26 AM   #2221
dafydd
Banned

I've already answered this question. The verse could be interpreted as conditional since God gave two commands in the verse; what if the Jews don't obey those commands. Also he could have easily been referring to invading heathen armies (since he was talking about invasions in the previous chapter) and the prophecy could have been intended for their lifetimes. If I say a Yankee fan will never enter this house. I obviously mean during my lifetime, but I don't actually say that, it's implied.

Also it's not practical to believe that he also meant such people as traders and caravans who might pass through the large city for economic reasons.
Isaiah 52:1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

No if there Doc. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I suppose that many inhabitants found their clothes beautiful. Failed prophecy Doc, why can't you admit it?

Last edited by dafydd; 21st April 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 21st April 2012, 05:29 AM   #2222
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

<some whining>

What's in this Google Earth image, DOC?

Am I missing something here?

Old 21st April 2012, 05:31 AM   #2223
dafydd
Banned

It...it.... it looks like a town covered in fisherman's nets!
Old 21st April 2012, 05:38 AM   #2224
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Joobz how come you are allowed to continuously (possibly 15 to 20 times) give the opinions of people, but I'm no longer allowed to give the opposite opinion (concerning prophecy) of attorney Jay Sekulow.

Because this:
Originally Posted by joobz View Post

speaks directly to the topic, while that stuff that you seem determined to keep talking about in defiance of the Mod Box has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

That's not fair.

Neither is it joobz' directive.

Plus the fact it is a bandwagon fallacy with no new relevant information given (other then some anonymous person's opinion).

It's a running poll of the effectiveness of your arguments, nothing more and nothing less.

What's this 'no new relevant information given' bilge anyway? Quite apart from anything else, none of your own posts have ever presented 'new relevant information'.

Old 21st April 2012, 06:02 AM   #2225
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

What are the incredible odds of such a conditional prophecy coming to pass?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 06:05 AM   #2226
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
What are the incredible odds of such a conditional prophecy coming to pass?
The conditions are an invention of Doc's. The prophecy is quite clear, and clearly it has failed.
Old 21st April 2012, 06:08 AM   #2227
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

The conditions are an invention of Doc's. The prophecy is quite clear, and clearly it has failed.
I know. But when they are shown to have failed, DOC has to twist himself into knots to redefine words and "interpret" what was clearly written. But then, based on his rewriting of whichever prophecy he's apologizing for, he forgets that his interpretation no longer qualifies it as a prophecy.

He's just shooting himself in the foot.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 06:13 AM   #2228
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
I know. But when they are shown to have failed, DOC has to twist himself into knots to redefine words and "interpret" what was clearly written. But then, based on his rewriting of whichever prophecy he's apologizing for, he forgets that his interpretation no longer qualifies it as a prophecy.

He's just shooting himself in the foot.
You would think that his almighty, all-seeing god would have spotted this and worded the prophecies in clear terms. Or could it be that the prophecies were written by primitive Iron Age goat herders?
Old 21st April 2012, 07:40 AM   #2229
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

At this link you can see Gateway lists 30 different translations of the Bible into the English Language. (hit the down arrow next to "page options" to see them)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...+1&version=NIV

As it happens, DOC, I use the BibleGateway site all the time, and yet I've never seen this translation there:

Isaiah 52:1

If you awake and put on thy strength, O Zion; if you put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: then for the next twenty or thirty years there shall not come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean, except for traders, caravans and invading heathen armies.

Which leads me to believe that you have in your possession a version of the Bible with which nobody else seems to be familiar.

Don't you think you should share this great discovery with the rest of Christendom? I'm sure there'd be quite a to-do about it.

Old 21st April 2012, 08:01 AM   #2230
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Looks like if god makes a promise you better get it in writing, read the fine print and consult a very good lawyer.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 08:43 AM   #2231
Wildy
Adelaidean

I'm not DOC but I see an island that was turned into a peninsula centuries after Nebuchadnezzar was supposed to have destroyed it and was abandoned forever by people.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:03 AM   #2232
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post

I'm not DOC but I see an island that was turned into a peninsula centuries after Nebuchadnezzar was supposed to have destroyed it and was abandoned forever by people.

Strangely enough, that's what I see, even when I squint. Maybe we need special glasses or something.

Old 21st April 2012, 09:11 AM   #2233
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

That was done by Alexander the Great, who built a causeway to besiege the island city, and it caused the surroundings to silt up.

DOC seems to believe that Alexander's successful expedition is somehow a fulfilment of the prophecy that Nebuchadrezzar would destroy the city, which he didn't.

But I ask, if fishermen dried their nets there while it was still an island "in the midst of the sea" - and we can be sure they did - could that have been a fulfilment? But more rational beings would surely think that the prophecy means that the site would stop being a city, and become a mere rock casually used by fisher folk. And as a city it would be lost forever.

As Google Earth shows, that has not happened.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 09:38 AM   #2234
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

That was done by Alexander the Great, who built a causeway to besiege the island city, and it caused the surroundings to silt up.

Yep. A city of 40,000 people that wouldn't have been there at all if the prophecy had been fulfilled.

DOC seems to believe that Alexander's successful expedition is somehow a fulfilment of the prophecy that Nebuchadrezzar would destroy the city, which he didn't.

Which would still be wrong because even though Alexander had a bit of tanty and wrecked half the city he didn't destroy it any more than Nebuchadnezzar did.

But I ask, if fishermen dried their nets there while it was still an island "in the midst of the sea" - and we can be sure they did - could that have been a fulfilment?

No, because the first part of the prophecy - "and they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock" - would still be missing from the scenario.

But more rational beings would surely think that the prophecy means that the site would stop being a city, and become a mere rock casually used by fisher folk. And as a city it would be lost forever.

As Google Earth shows, that has not happened.

Wildy and I aren't hallucinating after all?

That's a relief.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 21st April 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:38 AM   #2235
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Joobz how come you are allowed to continuously (possibly 15 to 20 times) give the opinions of people, but I'm no longer allowed to give the opposite opinion (concerning prophecy) of attorney Jay Sekulow. ...You parading your poll is like me parading a poll taken at a Tea party convention (where there was a debate about Obama's performance) that states 98% of those that heard the debate think Obama is not doing a good job.
No DOC, it's not.
Your attorney quote was about his conversion, an ill-disguised 'appeal to authority', if you will.
By the way, what is the Tea party and what does it have to do with bibical prophecy?

Joobz' poll is about how the forum members here view your efforts to show there have actually been fulfilled bibical prophecis.
Do you get the difference, DOC?

Here's the OT quote:
"Isaiah 52:1 Awake, awake; put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean."

Here's your answer
"I've already answered this question. The verse could be interpreted as conditional since God gave two commands in the verse; what if the Jews don't obey those commands. Also he could have easily been referring to invading heathen armies (since he was talking about invasions in the previous chapter) and the prophecy could have been intended for their lifetimes. If I say a Yankee fan will never enter this house. I obviously mean during my lifetime, but I don't actually say that, it's implied.

Also it's not practical to believe that he also meant such people as traders and caravans who might pass through the large city for economic reasons. "

Do you see any problem with your interpretation, DOC?
Old 21st April 2012, 09:42 AM   #2236
dafydd
Banned

That's my problem with the bible. All believers have their own interpretation. If the bible was the holy word of god then there could only be one interpretation.
Old 21st April 2012, 10:32 AM   #2237
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

A big silver dragon drinking all the ocean.

Well, that's what it looks like to me...

I'm wrong, aren't I?
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2012, 11:01 AM   #2238
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
A big silver dragon drinking all the ocean.

Well, that's what it looks like to me...

I'm wrong, aren't I?

Not necessarily. Our old mate Isaiah has another bit of a prophecy with a sea dragon in it.

Isaiah 27:1

In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

It's supposed to be about the redemption of Israel and I think Matty was cribbing from it when he wrote that stuff about Jeebus coming "not to bring peace, but to bring a sword".

Ezekiel was hoping for nasty things to happen to the Egyptians at the hands claws of a big, soggy lizard as well.
Ezekiel 29:3

Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.

Izzy and Zeke totally didn't like Egyptians very much.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 21st April 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:14 AM   #2239
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Once more into the link (i.e. 60 "fulfilled" prophecies about Jesus)

The day Jesus was crucified
Prophesied---Fulfilled
28. Betrayed by a friend- Ps 41:9, Jn 13:18-27
29. Sold for 30 pieces of silver- Zech 11:12,
Mt 26:14-15
30. Thirty pieces thrown in Temple- Zech 11:13, Mt 27:3-5
31. Thirty pieces buys potters field- Zech 11:13, Mt 27:6-10

Taking these four prophecies as a block I might point out that the earliest report of post resurrection appearances by Jesus, found in 1 Corinthians 15, says in v. 6 that, after appearing to Cephas (Peter), Jesus appeared to the twelve. Apparently, when Paul wrote 1 Corinthians ca. CE 50 - 60, the grand myth of the betrayal by Judas had yet to be formulated. Once it was formulated, the gospel writers, particularly Matthew and John, scoured the Hebrew scriptures to find verses - even in the Psalms - that could be used as prophecies for this fictional event.

Think about the actions of Judas. What would be the point of his betrayal. If he were really money hungry enough to betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, why would he have been hanging around with an itinerant teacher who preached a doctrine involving voluntary poverty? So, we are supposed to believe that Judas hung around with Jesus for about three years, wandering around Galilee, then, suddenly, without apparent cause, betrayed him.

Then we have the two contradictory stories of his death: Matthew saying he hanged himself (as did Ahithophel after he had betrayed King David); Luke saying (in Acts) his guts burst out as he was looking down at the field he'd bought with the 30 pieces of silver. Fundamentalist apologists have some ingenious ways to try to reconcile the two disparate accounts; but its all mental gymnastics and special pleading in the end.

32. Forsaken by His disciples- Zech 13:7, Mk 14:27+50
33. Accused by false witnesses-
Ps 35:11+20-21, Mt 26:59-61
34. Silent before accusers- Isa 53:7,
Mt 27:12-14
35. Wounded and bruised- Isa 53:4-61,
Pet 2:21-25
36. Beaten and spit upon- Isa 50:6, Mt 26:67-68 37. Mocked- Ps 22:6-8,
Mt 27:27-31
38. Fell under the cross- Ps 109:24-25,
Jn 19:17, Lk 23:26

Again, these are simply the gospel writers claiming something happened, then scouring the Hebrew scriptures for "prophecies" that were somehow fulfilled in the gospels. It's not worth going into detail for each of them. However, to show to what degree the gospel writers were reaching, let's consider the supposed prophecy in # 38. Did Ps. 109:24-25 really predict Jesus falling under the cross? Let's look at these verses:

My knees are weak through fasting;
my body has become gaunt.
I am the object of scorn to my accusers;
when they see me, they wag their heads.

Somehow, I don't see a cross here or even anyone falling. So, this is a prophecy that isn't. This is the case with many of the 60. Like a heavily padded resume, the list of 60 prophecies proves upon examination to be without substance.
Old 21st April 2012, 12:07 PM   #2240
Christian Klippel
Master Poster

That's my problem with the bible. All believers have their own interpretation. If the bible was the holy word of god then there could only be one interpretation.
Hmm, i wouldn't say that. If the holy babble really was the inerrant word of some god, then surely _no_ interpretation _at all_ should be required. It should have to be clear to understand for everyone.

Greetings,

Chris
Christian Klippel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy