IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:32 PM   #2281
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
It's not odd at all. The people who made up the words for the mythical Jesus to say were copying them from the older sources to make it look like the old prophecies were coming true.

And you know this how? Because that's what it says in the Bible?

That's the way the inerrant word of teh LAWD works, is it? Change a phrase here and there to make things match up?

Balderdash. It couldn't be any more straightforward.

Which bit of it are you having trouble understanding?

If it's good enough for some 2000-year-old mythical character to believe in then it's good enough for you, eh DOC?

This whole ridiculous post is just one long the-bible-is-true-because-it-says-it-is load of drivel.
Erm ...
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:41 PM   #2282
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Odd the book of Isaiah never seemed to bother Jesus who quoted it several times. It also didn't seem to bother the Jews or their copyists for the 800 years before Christ came. You'd think if they thought the prophecy failed they wouldn't have held Isaiah in high regard or at least they would have had the copyists change the verse. It's a difficult verse from our view but if Jesus and the Jews for 800 years didn't seem to have a problem with Isaiah, then I really don't either (for that reason and for the multiple other reasons I gave in my post above).
That is the most bizarre argument I have ever encountered. Here's a problem with Isaiah. He famously prophesies that the enemies of Ahaz, king of Judah, will not prevail against him: Isaiah 7
Quote:
4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah ... 7 Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass ... 14 ... Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good. 16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
But here is the account of the outcome of that war as related in 2 Chronicles 28
Quote:
5 Wherefore the LORD his God delivered him into the hand of the king of Syria; and they smote him, and carried away a great multitude of them captives, and brought them to Damascus. And he was also delivered into the hand of the king of Israel, who smote him with a great slaughter. ... 8 And the children of Israel carried away captive of their brethren two hundred thousand, women, sons, and daughters, and took also away much spoil from them, and brought the spoil to Samaria.
So either Isaiah was prophesying tosh, or the story as given in Chronicles is balderdash. Maybe you're happy with that, and maybe the ancient Jews weren't concerned with such contradictions, but that doesn't mean modern readers have to accept them.

Last edited by Craig B; 23rd April 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:27 PM   #2283
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
"If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle."
- carlito's dear papa

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas."
- "Dandy" Don Meredith, who is not an ordained minister in Canada, but did go to Southern Methodist University
"If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass on the ground."
- Elizabeth I's wonderful husband

If wishes were horses,
Beggars would ride.
If turnips were watches,
I would wear one by my side.

And if "ifs" and "ands" were pots and pans,
there'd be no work for tinkers.
- Mother Goose
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:21 PM   #2284
DOC
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Consider the pageant of Palm Sunday. What do have to believe to accept it as true? We have to believe that the Romans, who had already put down a number of Jewish revolts, would stand idly by while some guy enters Jerusalem and is treated like a king, with crowds throwing down their garments so his donkey didn't have to walk on bare earth. These same crowds are crying out, "Hosannah!" which means, "Save us!" Yet the Romans seem utterly unconcerned by this.
What Jewish revolts occurred in Jerusalem (during the Roman occupation) before 33 AD (about the time of Palm Sunday)?

And letting them have the parade would show the Romans just how much support Jesus had, and who were his big supporters. Better for everything to be out in the open so you can get easy and free information than to not know what's going on in secret. They could always bring him in at anytime. Also, preventing it might have caused more ill-will than allowing it. And there doesn't seem to be any writings of people saying, "Hey, wait a minute, I'd don't remember any big parade in Jerusalem 35 years ago." Or even "Hey wait a minute, I don't remember any guy name Jesus raising the dead or doing over 30 other miracles".

Last edited by DOC; 23rd April 2012 at 11:34 PM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:50 PM   #2285
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

And there doesn't seem to be any writings of people saying, "Hey, wait a minute, I'd don't remember any big parade in Jerusalem 35 years ago." Or even "Hey wait a minute, I don't remember any guy name Jesus raising the dead or doing over 30 other miracles".
There are no secular writings of any sort making the least mention of Jesus for many decades after the alleged date of his death. This suggests the stories about him are false - nobody confirms them. To use this as an argument that they are true - nobody denies them - is very strange reasoning, to put it mildly.

In any case, the works of anti Christian writers were suppressed following the adoption of Christianity as the state religion of the Roman Empire and, much later, hostile references to Jesus were removed even from the Talmud by order of the Pope, contained in a Bull published in 1554.

Last edited by Craig B; 23rd April 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 03:30 AM   #2286
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, always good to have some DOC posts to remind us why he's failed to convince a single person (so far) of the truth he so ably advocates.

... You'd think if they thought the prophecy failed they wouldn't have held Isaiah in high regard or at least they would have had the copyists change the verse. ...

.... And there doesn't seem to be any writings of people saying, "Hey, wait a minute, I'd don't remember any big parade in Jerusalem 35 years ago." Or even "Hey wait a minute, I don't remember any guy name Jesus raising the dead or doing over 30 other miracles".
And that tells you what?
Old 24th April 2012, 06:44 AM   #2287
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Re: the highlighted area - even when I was still a believer, and as a small child, this bothered me. I mean, the Romans never displayed much cultural sensitivity - or any other kind of sensitivity - at the best of times.
The Romans in the NT are portrayed as a sort of impersonal force of nature, it's the Jews and the Jewish leaders who are shown as being contorted with rage and determined to kill Jesus.

Of course, the belief that the Jews rejected Jesus is central to Christianity so it's no surprise that the central myths support that belief.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 06:47 AM   #2288
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
The Romans in the NT are portrayed as a sort of impersonal force of nature, it's the Jews and the Jewish leaders who are shown as being contorted with rage and determined to kill Jesus.
Why? He was a good Jewish boy who went into his father's business.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 07:06 AM   #2289
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

Balderdash. It couldn't be any more straightforward.

Which bit of it are you having trouble understanding?
Why the part that conflicts with reality of course

It's the same tired crap:
1)If something in the bible can't be verified then it's literally true
2)If something in the bible can be verified and it's true then it's literally true
3)If something in the bible can be verified and it's false then it's a metaphor, non-literal, different language, hard to understand crap etc

funny how that works only for #3...
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 07:49 AM   #2290
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

What Jewish revolts occurred in Jerusalem (during the Roman occupation) before 33 AD (about the time of Palm Sunday)?

How about the revolt led by Judas of Galilee as a reaction to the census imposed for taxation purposes by Quirinius in Iudæa Province around 6 CE?

There were of course a great many other minor revolts during the Roman occupation, but this one stands out as an obvious answer for your question for two reasons:

1. This particular revolt was discussed at length by one of your erstwhile heroes -Titus Flavius Josephus - in both Jewish Wars and Antiquities of the Jews so there surely can be no questioning by you of the veracity of the story; and

2. The sect founded by Judas the Gallilean was at first known as 'the fourth sect' but later became known by a name much more familiar to the participants in this Forum - the Zealots. Yep, the very same group that numbered the famous Simon amongst its members. By the way, DOC, speaking of Simon . . .

And letting them have the parade would show the Romans just how much support Jesus had, and who were his big supporters. Better for everything to be out in the open so you can get easy and free information than to not know what's going on in secret. They could always bring him in at anytime. Also, preventing it might have caused more ill-will than allowing it. And there doesn't seem to be any writings of people saying, "Hey, wait a minute, I'd don't remember any big parade in Jerusalem 35 years ago." Or even "Hey wait a minute, I don't remember any guy name Jesus raising the dead or doing over 30 other miracles".

Tell the truth, DOC. This response is just a paraphrase of the plot synopsis of the appropriate section of The Life of Brian, isn't it?

Did you really think nobody here, of all places, would spot it for what it is?

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 08:05 AM   #2291
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
.... And there doesn't seem to be any writings of people saying, "Hey, wait a minute, I'd don't remember any big parade in Jerusalem 35 years ago." Or even "Hey wait a minute, I don't remember any guy name Jesus raising the dead or doing over 30 other miracles".

And that tells you what?

That there was no such thing as paper in 1st century Judea and therefore the Bible is true.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 08:33 AM   #2292
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post

Old 24th April 2012, 08:37 AM   #2293
dafydd
Banned

Once again the Pharaoh hits the nail on the head.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 11:05 AM   #2294
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

That there was no such thing as paper in 1st century Judea and therefore the Bible is true.
Is DOC still asserting that ********? According to the history of paper, that while paper might not have been around in Jesus' time papyrus and parchment was. No doubt he's been explained this before, but the history of paper is an interesting one and vitally important to understand.
Old 24th April 2012, 11:42 AM   #2295
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Akhenaten has already mentioned Judas the Galilean. Here's another uprising. In Antiquities of the Jews, Book 18, Chapter 3, item 2, Josephus tells us that Pilate used temple funds to build an aqueduct to bring water to Jerusalem. A number of Jews - Josephus says many ten thousands - massed and protested the appropriation of temple funds for a secular project. Pilate told them to disperse. When they refused to do so, he gave a signal to Roman soldiers dressed as Jews and mixed into the crowd, who were carrying concealed weapons, and these soldiers killed and wounded many of the protesters.

Antiquities Book 18, Chapter 4, item 1 tells of another potential uprising, this time among the Samaritans. when an armed multitude of them gathered in a village at the base of Mt. Gerrizim, Pilate sent troops of cavalry and foot soldiers to attack them. Yet, according to the gospels, we are supposed to believe that this brutal man was cowed by a mob demanding that Barabbas be released and Jesus be crucified.

BTW, you still haven't explained why, in a few short days, the crowds welcoming Jesus had dissipated and another mob had assembled to demand his death. It's also odd, in the incident of Jesus blasting the fig tree and his driving the money changers out of the Temple, that he seems to be coming from Bethany to Jerusalem and back again on a regular basis without attracting any attention, either from crowds crying out, "Hosannah," or from the Romans. The Palm Sunday crowds seem to have forgotten Jesus rather quickly.

As to people writing about Jesus, denying what was written in the gospels, you must remember that supernatural claims were quite common in hose days and likely to be shrugged off - just as Justin Martyr shrugged off those who claimed to have seen deceased emperors ascending to heaven in the smoke of the funeral pyres. You also have to remember that, at the time the gospels were written, between the years 70 and 90, nobody but the Christians were interested in such claims. Others would not be reading the gospels and wouldn't have bothered with the claims of a small heretical sect. Finally, you must remember that the gospels and other books of the New Testament were written in Greek for a culturally Greek audience. Paul's epistles, which antedate the gospels, were written to congregations in western Asia Minor (Galatians), in Greek cites around the Aegean Sea and in Rome. This audience would have been largely ignorant of the laws and customs of Judea (as the author of Mark was), as well as being ignorant of what did or did not happen to a minor messianic pretender - one who was scarcely mentioned (if at all) by Josephus.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 04:57 PM   #2296
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

...and his mother thought he was God.

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Is DOC still asserting that ********? According to the history of paper, that while paper might not have been around in Jesus' time papyrus and parchment was. No doubt he's been explained this before, but the history of paper is an interesting one and vitally important to understand.
No, to my knowledge doc hasn't said anything about paper this time - it's just become a meme in his threads.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:01 PM   #2297
DOC
Philosopher

... In Antiquities of the Jews, Book 18, Chapter 3, item 2, Josephus tells us that Pilate used temple funds to build an aqueduct to bring water to Jerusalem. A number of Jews - Josephus says many ten thousands - massed and protested the appropriation of temple funds for a secular project. Pilate told them to disperse. When they refused to do so, he gave a signal to Roman soldiers dressed as Jews and mixed into the crowd, who were carrying concealed weapons, and these soldiers killed and wounded many of the protesters...
Here is item 2

2. But Pilate undertook to bring a current of water to Jerusalem, and did it with the sacred money, and derived the origin of the stream from the distance of two hundred furlongs. However, the Jews (8) were not pleased with what had been done about this water; and many ten thousands of the people got together, and made a clamor against him, and insisted that he should leave off that design. Some of them also used reproaches, and abused the man, as crowds of such people usually do. So he habited a great number of his soldiers in their habit, who carried daggers under their garments, and sent them to a place where they might surround them. So he bid the Jews himself go away; but they boldly casting reproaches upon him, he gave the soldiers that signal which had been beforehand agreed on; who laid upon them much greater blows than Pilate had commanded them, and equally punished those that were tumultuous, and those that were not; nor did they spare them in the least: and since the people were unarmed, and were caught by men prepared for what they were about, there were a great number of them slain by this means, and others of them ran away wounded. And thus an end was put to this sedition.

But you left out item 3, the next paragraph:

3. Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, (9) those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

http://www.ccel.org/j/josephus/works/ant-18.htm

_____

I see no problem with Pilate not finding any guilt with Jesus. Item 2 above portrays the Romans and Jews as enemies. There is a saying that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". And Jesus was definitely an enemy of many of Jewish religious leaders of the day.

Last edited by DOC; 24th April 2012 at 05:38 PM.
DOC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:25 PM   #2298
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Here is item 2

<repeat of what Tim already posted>

But you left out item 3, the next paragraph:

<off-topic, irrelevant tosh>

Tim left it out because it has absolutely nothing to do with the question that you asked, namely:

And now you're flailing about wildly in a transparent attempt to distract from the fact that the answer that was given shows that you are, as always, completely at a loss when it comes to actual history.

Pathetic.

Old 24th April 2012, 05:33 PM   #2299
joobz
Tergiversator

I see know problem with Pilate not finding any guilt with Jesus. Item 2 above portrays the Romans and Jews as enemies. There is a saying that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". And Jesus was definitely an enemy of many of Jewish religious leaders of the day.
This story even makes the bible story make less sense and supports Tim's point.
It helps support the point that it is completely insane that the jews would first welcome jesus by a parade, and then a week later call for his head.

Thank you for helping show just how illogical the bible story is.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 05:37 PM   #2300
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

<stuff>

And Jesus was definitely an enemy of many of Jewish religious leaders of the day.

According to which extra-biblical source(s), exactly?

Old 24th April 2012, 05:48 PM   #2301
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

The religious leaders wanted Jesus dead and probably not the majority of people.

How do you know this and, more importantly, which prophecy is it related to?

It's like most US citizens want us out of Afganistan but most of the people in power want us there.

What does this nonsense have to do with the increasingly-long list of failed prophecies that you're supposed to be addressing?

Last edited by Akhenaten; 24th April 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 24th April 2012, 05:51 PM   #2302
joobz
Tergiversator

The religious leaders wanted Jesus dead and probably not the majority of people. It's like most US citizens want us out of Afganistan but most of the people in power want us there.
So the story of the people chanting to release barabas and not Jesus was just a story...
I again, agree.

By the way, don't think I don't notice you avoiding discussing the failed prophecies of the bible.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2012, 06:05 PM   #2303
DOC
Philosopher

Tim left it out because it has absolutely nothing to do with the question that you asked, namely:

And now you're flailing about wildly in a transparent attempt to distract from the fact that the answer that was given shows that you are, as always, completely at a loss when it comes to actual history..
This thread is about prophecy, so when Josephus (that Tim brought up) is reported to use this wording in the very next paragraph from the one Tim brought in:

"for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold"

as I show in the below link, that is relevant

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...29#post8228629

Regarding item 3 (that mentions prophecy) here is what the scholars say:

From the article: Historical Jesus The Testimonium of Flavius Josephus
By Mark McFall

Up until the enlightenment of the 18th century, early Christians thought this passage was a wonderful and thoroughly authentic attestation of Jesus and his resurrection, and it was often quoted. Then, during the enlightenment, the entire passage was questioned by at least some scholars. Today, however, there’s a remarkable consensus among both Jewish and Christian scholars that the testimonium at its core is authentic although there may be some interpolations as is seen in a survey conducted by the Josephan scholar, Louis Feldman. In covering all the relevant literature on the testimonium from 1937 to 1980, Feldman showed that 4 scholars regarded the testimonium as entirely genuine, 6 scholars regarded it as mostly genuine, 20 scholars accepted it with some interpolations, 9 scholars regarded it with several interpolations, and 13 scholars regarded it as being totally an interpolation." (See: www.earlychristianwritings.com/testimonium.html ).

http://www.frontline-apologetics.com..._Josephus.html

Last edited by DOC; 24th April 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:32 PM   #2304
joobz
Tergiversator

This thread is about prophecy, so when Josephus (that Tim brought up) is reported to use this wording in the very next paragraph from the one Tim brought in:

"for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold"
Wow, you must be embarrassed making this post right after Tim just spent time explaining how that text is a likely later inclusion.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:13 PM   #2305
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

as I show in the below link, that is relevant

<irrelevance>

Your assertion that "this thread is about prophecy" is only telling half the story, DOC.

The thread is about fulfilled prophecies and zombie Jesus only becomes relevant to the discussion after you've established that he actually existed and that he did the resurrection thing.

Old 24th April 2012, 07:21 PM   #2306
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
Wow, you must be embarrassed making this post right after Tim just spent time explaining how that text is a likely later inclusion.

Not likely.

You'd think if they thought the prophecy failed they wouldn't have held Isaiah in high regard or at least they would have had the copyists change the verse.

Apparently turning 'unfulfilled' into 'fulfilled' prophecies with the stroke of a quill is all in a day's work for the dedicated LFJ.

Old 25th April 2012, 05:38 AM   #2307
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)

Mod WarningIf you want to discuss the evidence for the NT, then do so in that thread. This is for the discussion of fullfilled prophesy.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 07:06 AM   #2308
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by kmortis View Post
Mod WarningIf you want to discuss the evidence for the NT, then do so in that thread. This is for the discussion of fullfilled prophesy.
There is neither evidence for the NT being true nor any fulfilled prophecies, so really this thread is a non-starter don't you think?
Old 25th April 2012, 07:20 AM   #2309
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by kmortis View Post
Can we also discuss unfulfilled prophecies? I see, BTW, that there has been a flurry of activity in the "evidence of the NT" thread. Thanks for remarking.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 09:59 AM   #2310
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Alas, I got confused with the evidence of fulfilled prophecies in the NT and the evidence for truth in the NT.
Ah, well.

Anyway, DOC, care to name a prophecy in the OT which was actually fulfilled?
TimCallahan destroyed that 60 Prophecy list, so how about moving on to something you can demonstrate?
Old 25th April 2012, 10:14 AM   #2311
catsmate
No longer the 1

<snip>
From the article: Historical Jesus The Testimonium of Flavius Josephus
By Mark McFall
<snippage of dubious assertions>
The ramblings of an xian propaganda site don't help.............
I note that neither McFall nor other xians explain why Origen stated that Josephus did not mention Jesus.
The pro-authenticity arguments are dealt with quite well here.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 11:14 AM   #2312
TimCallahan
Philosopher

DOC, we've already dealt with the following regarding the failure of fulfillment of Bible prophecies:

1) Fall of Nineveh

2) Fall of Tyre

3) Nebuchadnezzar's invasion of Egypt

4) Conquest of Babylon

5) New Testament fulfillment of Old Testament Prophecies

In all of these we've reached something of an impasse. Most of us see them as absolute failures. You alone maintain they were fulfilled. Neither side is likely to back down. Do you know of any other Bible prophecies you would assert were dramatically fulfilled? If so, we could discuss those. If not, it would seem we've exhausted this topic.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 11:23 AM   #2313
joobz
Tergiversator

DOC, we've already dealt with the following regarding the failure of fulfillment of Bible prophecies:

1) Fall of Nineveh

2) Fall of Tyre

4) Conquest of Babylon

In all of these we've reached something of an impasse. Most of us see them as absolute failures. You alone maintain they were fulfilled. Neither side is likely to back down. Do you know of any other Bible prophecies you would assert were dramatically fulfilled? If so, we could discuss those. If not, it would seem we've exhausted this topic.
DOC, this is an accurate and factual summary of this thread.
Unless you are able to present new information on the above listed prophecies, or wish to present other prophecies you believe fulfilled, we are done here.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:13 PM   #2314
kerikiwi
Philosopher

If not, it would seem we've exhausted this topic.
Already?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 04:36 PM   #2315
welshdean

1) Fall of Nineveh

2) Fall of Tyre

4) Conquest of Babylon

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
DOC, this is an accurate and factual summary of this thread.
Unless you are able to present new information on the above listed prophecies, or wish to present other prophecies you believe fulfilled, we are done here.
Emphasis mine

DOC, if your stuck for ideas, try this one I mentioned earlier in the thread;

Quote:
Matt 12:40
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Was Jesus correct with this prophecy?
I'm of the opinion that this is obviously a failure on Jesus' part and is indicative of the inherent and obvious failings of the bible. If you ignore this then your M.O. would suggest that I'm right.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2012, 05:19 PM   #2316
dafydd
Banned

A rock tomb the ''heart of the Earth''? I know that the bible is full of misinformation but that is pushing it a bit.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:27 PM   #2317
welshdean

A rock tomb the ''heart of the Earth''? I know that the bible is full of misinformation but that is pushing it a bit.
Let's not give him an out here Dafydd, I don't want DOC to start continue with his semantic word plays. It's the 'three days and three nights' I'd like him to address.

BTW: Do you ever go to bed?
BTW2: Next time I'm in Belgium is there any chance I can have a rifle through your record collection?

ETA: Record = CD/MP3 for all you whipper-snappers.

Last edited by welshdean; 25th April 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:30 PM   #2318
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Let's not give him an out here Dafydd, I don't want DOC to start continue with his semantic word plays. It's the 'three days and three nights' I'd like him to address.

BTW: Do you ever go to bed?
BTW2: Next time I'm in Belgium is there any chance I can have a rifle through your record collection?
I am retired so I do not have to get up in the morning. 3am is my usual bedtime.

You are welcome to rifle through my ( vinyl and CD) record collection.

Now let's wait for Doc to post a post that he's posted a hundred times before.

Last edited by dafydd; 25th April 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:42 PM   #2319
welshdean

<snip>

Now let's wait for Doc to post a post that he's posted a hundred times before.
A prophecy?

Any more from you and you'll end up with a MDC application.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:45 PM   #2320
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
A prophecy?

Any more from you and you'll end up with a MDC application.
If you behave yourself you can sit in on a band rehearsal too.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy