IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th February 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Complete a dissertation or 3 published papers for a PhD program?

I've gotten some very helpful response from my fellow JREFers before on higher education issues, so I thought I'd run this by our resident academics/graduate students:

The PhD program I am in just decided that students may now complete the dissertation requirement by EITHER completing a traditional dissertation OR having 3 "publishable quality" papers. I am in a field where the dissertation is generally book shelved and never looked at again, and most people don't turn them into books. Most people do try to spin their dissertation into a few journal articles - so it seems to me its wise to skip the dissertation ritual and go straight to that. In my favor is that I already have 1 solo authored article, so I only need to do 2 more.

My reluctance comes from the knowledge that academia is very conservative when it comes to credentials. People are used to asking you about your dissertation and it is a standard part of the job interview process, after all. I don't want to spook hiring committees based on the fact that I didn't complete a traditional book length dissertation. But...on the other hand, since the point of a dissertation is to show you can do research, wouldn't 3 published articles do just that?

So, what option to choose - the normal dissertation or the 3 (2, for me at this point) article option?
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I have no first hand knowledge of the process, but I thought the idea was that you have to sit there and defend your paper, showing that you understand what you wrote.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2013, 08:12 PM   #3
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I have no first hand knowledge of the process, but I thought the idea was that you have to sit there and defend your paper, showing that you understand what you wrote.
The oral defense is required in both cases. However...even with a "traditional dissertation"...your committee doesn't let you get to the defense if they think there is any chance of you not being able to pass it.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Startz
Muse

This depends very much on the field. In economics, a dissertation is usually three articles connected by a staple. In the humanities, a book often remains the norm.

Don't think just about hiring for the first job. Will a book be expected for tenure? And, if so, is the dissertation usually the first draft of that book?
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Megalodon
Illuminator

Don't know about your institution, but in mine (and all the others I know of) the 3 papers need to be inserted in a general introduction and general discussion and conclusions, that will then be bind and shelved, never to be opened again
So you would end up with a dissertation, only in a different format. Never heard of 3 loose papers, though.

Megalodon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2013, 09:41 AM   #6
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Im in a field where people do books but its not expected (like history).
Old 18th February 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

I am working on a PhD in engineering and we have the 3 paper option. As Megalodon said, they would be bound together with an introduction and defended as a whole. In an interview, I'm pretty sure you would spend less than 5 minutes on the topic of your dissertation. If it goes beyond that it's because the interviewer is interested (a good thing). Then the topic will probably never come up again.
Old 18th February 2013, 02:34 PM   #8
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LightinDarkness View Post
The PhD program I am in just decided that students may now complete the dissertation requirement by EITHER completing a traditional dissertation OR having 3 "publishable quality" papers.
I see it as a false dichotomy.

A dissertation IS a publication, and so anything that goes in your dissertation needs to be "publishable quality." If it isn't good enough to be published, you shouldn't be using it in your thesis.

Others have mentioned turning thesis chapters into publications, but that is actually bass-ackwards. Write the paper first. From there, it is trivial to turn it into a chapter of a thesis. Slap on a 3 page "Guide to the Thesis" with an introduction, and you are done.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education