IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags election conspiracies

Old 3rd September 2016, 05:51 AM   #1
Bubba
Philosopher

Stealing elections

How likely is it that there are corrupt democrats and republicans who would not hesitate to flip/steal votes/elections with the computer voting machines?

How likely is it that they have already attempted it done it and got away with it ?

>>>>

For reference purposes:

We have seen the observations/assertions made by BlackBoxVoting regarding e-ballot fraud...

Bev harris black box voting ballot fraud

We have seen how easy it is...

princeton hacks voting machine

We have seen Spoonamore's Ohio 04 election fraud assertion and evidence,

We have seen Florida...

florida voting machine fraud

We've seen anonymous claiming that they blocked Karl Rove's later attempt at stealing Ohio election.

did anonymous defeat karl rove
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2016, 07:23 AM   #2
paulhutch
Master Poster

Most of the references are crap references, full of claims and no actual evidence which is why none of them are from even slightly reputable news sources.

The only true one is the story of the Princeton Professor who showed how theoretically an older now obsolete voting machine could be hacked. However he has not claimed that it actually has happened and IIRC, the information he provided has made it less likely that it will happen.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Cain
Straussian

Democrats steal elections by recruiting minorities and the poor to vote -- directly contradicting the intentions of the Founding Fathers. Most of those people do not even own property. Republicans try to counterbalance by loyally supporting their brothers, and subverting the intentions of batty old Jews in Miami-Dade.
Old 4th September 2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Conspiracy theories have their own special place in the forum. Bev Harris and Stephen Spoonamore are kooks.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 12:00 PM   #5
Bubba
Philosopher

Dodges the question:

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Conspiracy theories have their own special place in the forum. Bev Harris and Stephen Spoonamore are kooks.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 12:18 PM   #6
fuelair
Banned

republickers cannot be trusted. Hope this helps your political excursions!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Dodges the question:
We are not required to address you with what you consider "valid" responses. We also have no obligation to inform yet another void in your education. This is the USA Politics sub-forum. The participants here are involved in a current election (you'll probably discover it in about 2024 based on the lag time for most of your "finds") and apparently don't feel the need to correct your errant ways, yet again.

Do your own research. Come to your own conclusions. A thread with a link to a couple of loons is not going to get much attention other than to advise you that the information you've posted is from a couple of loons and a suggestion that you take your latest, of many, JAQ over to a sub-forum that deals with that sort of thing.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2016, 06:38 AM   #8
Bubba
Philosopher

Cranky old wet blanket.

Have it your way....skip the "loony links" if you wish.

The question stands well without links.

Your reply suggests you might answer without loon links.

How likely is it that there are corrupt democrats and republicans who would not hesitate to flip/steal votes/elections with the computer voting machines?
Old 6th September 2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Axxman300
Illuminator

I wish I would wake up tomorrow to find someone has stolen the 2016 election. Trump and Clinton just vanished to who-knows-where, and we're left with semi-reasonable candidates...

...one can dream...
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2016, 02:06 PM   #10
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Democrats steal elections by recruiting minorities and the poor to vote -- directly contradicting the intentions of the Founding Fathers. Most of those people do not even own property. Republicans try to counterbalance by loyally supporting their brothers, and subverting the intentions of batty old Jews in Miami-Dade.
.... gerrymandering constituency borders and passing ridiculous identity requirements to vote, also contradicting the intentions of the Founding Fathers.

You misspelled the struck through part.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Abooga
Muse

Well, with paperless voting machines vote-rigging is quite easy. I canīt understand why they are still in use in some US states. If they were used in my country Iīd make quite a fuss about it.
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 07:38 AM   #12
Jrrarglblarg

Any dedicated effort to swing the election with shenanigans would need to overcome the patchwork quilt of state-level unique solutions to common problems. It couldn't be done as one effort, but 50 different efforts, with 50 different strategies each with a unique set of failure modes and discovery risks.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 08:06 AM   #13
Abooga
Muse

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Any dedicated effort to swing the election with shenanigans would need to overcome the patchwork quilt of state-level unique solutions to common problems. It couldn't be done as one effort, but 50 different efforts, with 50 different strategies each with a unique set of failure modes and discovery risks.
Itīs still about 2.000 times easier that rigging elections that count votes manually...

(100.000 polling precincts / 50 states assuming rigging one paper vote polling precinct is similarly difficult to rig to a state-level electronic system. I will assume this because I guess a similar number of people would have to be "bought" in either case)

Last edited by Abooga; 26th October 2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: arithmetics
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 09:50 AM   #14
Jrrarglblarg

In my state we use OCR systems. The voter fills in the square just like in school, machines scan the sheets, and some number of votes are hand counted to validate the OCR count for the same sample, with some sampling protocol I don't know much about. We had some OCR failures in the past involving machines not reading marks, so correct pencils, better voter instructions and spot checks of the count became part of the system. At this point I think only the voters can screw it up, not reading instructions mostly.

Fun fact: I'm registered to vote under a different name than my ID. I was born (changed to protect the innocent) Donald Jrrarglblarg Drumph, but I've always gone by Jrrarglblarg, so my voter registration is actually under Jrrarglblarg Donald Drumph. I enlisted twice and held security clearances under that name, but I've never changed my name officially so my state ID/driver's license is Donald first.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:19 AM   #15
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The weak point traditionally has been the tabulators. Poll-site vote-rigging, regardless of its alleged ease, is still almost unheard of. It's just too onerous for the effect obtained. The tabulators aggregate results from many precincts, and is therefore a single point of access to a great many votes. And tabulators are still employed whether the ballot is marked paper, OCR paper, paperless, or absentee/mail. They were also historically bereft of even reasonable measures taken toward operational security. Thanks to the efforts of many advocates and researchers, they are much more secure.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 10:58 AM   #16
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
It's probably worse than that. In many, if not all states, elections are primarily handled at the county level, and the counties may not all use the same hardware or software.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 07:35 PM   #17
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It's probably worse than that. In many, if not all states, elections are primarily handled at the county level, and the counties may not all use the same hardware or software.

God, every time I think about Canada vs. the US, whether it's politics, voting, health care, or just about anything else, I think of this Mitchell&Webb bit:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Canada is the men in this analogy. Americans, sort yourself out!
Old 26th October 2016, 07:51 PM   #18
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Verified Voting graphically displays all the equipment being used nationally, by state, county etc etc.
The background data can be downloaded in Excel, CSV and JSON.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2016, 12:43 PM   #19
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

San Francisco has had ballot boxes and ballots "go missing"

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/artic...ns-3302604.php

The concern that vote-by-mail ballots may not be counted led to the creation of

www.sfelections.org/vbmstatus

I do not have any evidence that any election has been "stolen" by voter fraud, but I have no doubt that in some situations voter fraud has been committed on an institutional, rather than individual basis, and that both parties in the U.S. engage in it.

One of my older relatives often described election day incentives in his youth - a choice between a .50 cent cigar or a shot of whiskey for a straight party ticket vote - offered by the local democratic party in the New Orleans parish and this was both before and after WWII, right up into the 1960's, and another oldtimer has told me about the repubs rigging the voting machines in the central valley here in California to not count demo votes - and he knew of this because he and his partner in their machine shop did the work themselves.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2016, 03:20 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, for the good old days of stealing elections....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ04YdyQPAc

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2016, 01:12 AM   #21
Abooga
Muse

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
One of my older relatives often described election day incentives in his youth - a choice between a .50 cent cigar or a shot of whiskey for a straight party ticket vote - offered by the local democratic party in the New Orleans parish and this was both before and after WWII, right up into the 1960's, and another oldtimer has told me about the repubs rigging the voting machines in the central valley here in California to not count demo votes - and he knew of this because he and his partner in their machine shop did the work themselves.
Clearly the first method is quite conspicuous, and wouldnīt be acceptable (so not possible) by todayīs standards. The second method I was obviously only made possible thanks to the existence of voting machines. I think itīs quite obvious that voting machines are a hazard and it worries me that not enough resistance is raised agaist them. They are slowly worming their way into the electoral processes of many countries, countries where the achievement of democracy was fought with great pains, only to stupidly lose it again thanks to those damn voting machines... Why am I so alone in seeing this?
Old 4th November 2016, 11:14 AM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
Clearly the first method is quite conspicuous, and wouldnīt be acceptable (so not possible) by todayīs standards. The second method I was obviously only made possible thanks to the existence of voting machines. I think itīs quite obvious that voting machines are a hazard and it worries me that not enough resistance is raised agaist them. They are slowly worming their way into the electoral processes of many countries, countries where the achievement of democracy was fought with great pains, only to stupidly lose it again thanks to those damn voting machines... Why am I so alone in seeing this?
Because it is a bit paranoid?
There was PLENTY of voter fraud in the days of paper,hand counted ballets.
Of course we need to monitor the use of voting machines carefully,but to suggest they are part of some vast conspiracy to destroy democracy is ,frankly, just more Conspirqcy Theory crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2016, 02:51 AM   #23
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Well, according to the founder of Wikileaks, Trump will not be allowed to win the election (Yes, that's right Julian Assange wants Trump to win...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ7lYRnF1F8

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2016, 12:49 AM   #24
Abooga
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Because it is a bit paranoid?
There was PLENTY of voter fraud in the days of paper,hand counted ballets.
Of course we need to monitor the use of voting machines carefully,but to suggest they are part of some vast conspiracy to destroy democracy is ,frankly, just more Conspirqcy Theory crap.
Paranoid? Worrying about the fact that voting fraud is being made easier is not being paranoid, itīs just common sense. And please note that I never suggested any conspiracy, Iīm just saying that having a democracy is meaningless unless you trust the safety of the voting method.
Old 7th November 2016, 10:12 PM   #25
Jrrarglblarg

I have inspected the voting process in the function of a Poll Watcher as one of Trump's Stormtroopers* and will be watching the count happen. I feel confident my mostly irrelevant county in my usually irrelevant state is in good hands and I'll report on my observations after.

*sneaking in undercover and reporting to my ISF masters within the bounds of law and oath

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 7th November 2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 9th November 2016, 09:31 PM   #26
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Good question. Care to answer yourself?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:56 PM   #27
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Good question. Care to answer yourself?
What difference does it make?

I think some in both groups would cheat any way they can.
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:34 AM   #28
Abooga
Muse

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-pennsylvania Now they are asking for money to recount votes. Why didnīt they count those votes on election day... for free?

I just donīt get it. In my small town in Spain we use paper ballot. Votes are counted in the colleges in front of ebservers of each party and some randomly chosen citizens and this "work" is not something that anyone has ever complained about. Itīs transparent, and very hard to tamper with. So WHY ON EARTH do they not do that in the US? Weīre supposed to be the "lazy spaniards" yet we count votes by hand and we think nothing of it. In the US they have to use those obscure voting machines, casting a shadow of doubt on the legitimacy of the process... And hardly anyone bats an eye. I just donīt understand.

Ok, some people do complain. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...count-campaign

Last edited by Abooga; 2nd December 2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 2nd December 2016, 05:52 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Democrats steal elections by recruiting minorities and the poor to vote -- directly contradicting the intentions of the Founding Fathers.
Yeah those damned minorities! How DARE they vote for the party that most corresponds to their values and objectives?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 09:49 PM   #30
Bubba
Philosopher

There is an undercover video of a woman wearing a full burka walking into a NY city polling place. She tells the poll worker her name is Huma Abedin. She apparently has no ID. Female poll worker says 'since you are not in the book you cannot use the voting machine, but if thats you, whatever you want, you can vote with this paper ballot instead'.

"Huma" tells poll worker OK I will discuss it with my husband Anthony.

title
Undercover Journalist in Full Burka Is Offered Huma Abedin's Ballot

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+poling+place

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories