IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags vocational education

Old 29th December 2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Vocational education

Does it get the respect it deserves these days ?
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:41 PM   #2
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I don't know; does it? Do you have any specific comments in mind?

FWIW, I'm currently doing a vocational course in photography.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 02:26 PM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I work in that area (specifically with apprentices and trainees) in Australia. I’m seeing an increasing number of older people and people with degrees and higher commencing apprenticeships. They see great futures in becoming a qualified electrician, plumber or carpenter. So in that sense, I will say yes.

On the other hand, we are facing current and future skill shortages in Australia, which shows that while we have a robust and technically advanced vocational education system here, not enough school leavers are taking this pathway.

My hope is that school-based apprenticeships, where students in years 11 and 12 actually start a part-time apprenticeship, will bridge this gap. Numbers are increasing each year. (The Brits stole this idea off us a few years ago, and it seems to be working well there too).

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:36 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Airfix View Post
Does it get the respect it deserves these days ?
I've come to respect vocational education and training a lot more as I get older. I think the US education system way over-emphasizes and over-subsidizes universities, and maybe doesn't do enough to encourage skilled trades.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:42 PM   #5
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Assuming you're for vocational education, this has been a recurrent theme for many a decade.

Care to elaborate why it's pertinent to you right now?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:59 PM   #6
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Assuming you're for vocational education, this has been a recurrent theme for many a decade.

It won't matter; threads in Education die young unless they are about grammar rules.

There was a pendulum effect going on. Some people stopped favoring vocational ed in the U.S., feeling instead everyone should be on a college track vs. focusing on a trade from about age 16 onward. That was in about the early '60s. Education has a way of completely revamping itself in mutually exclusive ways every 20 years or so. Education for trades had a resurgence. I'm not sure where it stands now.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 04:39 PM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It won't matter; threads in Education die young unless they are about grammar rules.

There was a pendulum effect going on. Some people stopped favoring vocational ed in the U.S., feeling instead everyone should be on a college track vs. focusing on a trade from about age 16 onward. That was in about the early '60s. Education has a way of completely revamping itself in mutually exclusive ways every 20 years or so. Education for trades had a resurgence. I'm not sure where it stands now.
When I last looked several years ago, the US did not have a strong apprenticeship system, with most tradespeople being completely trained in trade schools and/or polytechnics. 600,000 apprentices out of a workforce of 157 million (0.3%) compared with 250,000 out of a workforce of 12 million (2%) in Australia.

I think this is a real weakness. Someone in Australia can obtain, for example, a carpentry qualification without an apprenticeship, but probably won’t get work in that area. Practical experience is extremely important in my view.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
When I last looked several years ago, the US did not have a strong apprenticeship system, with most tradespeople being completely trained in trade schools and/or polytechnics. 600,000 apprentices out of a workforce of 157 million (0.3%) compared with 250,000 out of a workforce of 12 million (2%) in Australia.

I think this is a real weakness. Someone in Australia can obtain, for example, a carpentry qualification without an apprenticeship, but probably won’t get work in that area. Practical experience is extremely important in my view.
That's one reason the US needs immigrants (even illegal ones). They know how to actually do ****. Now if only we did not have such a love/hate relationship with them.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:41 PM   #9
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post

It's important to me because there are opportunities I got in the 90's which don't seem to be there for the young now.

Everyone is different.

Not everyone is cut out for the same thing.

I've done OU stuff I've done electronics I've done engineering courses. The courses I enjoyed most were hands on and involved making things.

Some opportunities seem to be missing from education in the UK these days.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:12 AM   #10
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I've come to respect vocational education and training a lot more as I get older. I think the US education system way over-emphasizes and over-subsidizes universities, and maybe doesn't do enough to encourage skilled trades.
Pretty much my thoughts. Our high school district has two schools at present, but plans are to close one (the larger, more rural, campus) and consolidate all students into the other older campus. There is a grass-roots effort to convince the school board to consider making the larger campus into a vocational focused school rather than closing it.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education