IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags diebold , election conspiracies , election fraud , voting issues , voting machines

Old 2nd November 2008, 10:00 AM   #41
technoextreme
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
Of course.

This is why Obama needs to win by a huge margin; The fix is in and we need to win by much, much more than can be fixed.
Actually, no. I just realized that it's because a lot of people don't necessarily know how to use a touch screen. I have to dredge up the article that I found but apparently some touch screens do not work in any intuitive manner which was the article I was reading warning voters about. It only registers the vote once you lift your finger off the screen. Hence if you drag your thumb across it the screen will not register the correct vote. I wouldn't say it's stupidity because no one thinks that touch screens work that way.
It's amazing how many of these "paranormal" icons seem to merge together. There always seem to be theories about how they link together in some way. I'm sure someone has a very good explanation as to how Bigfoot killed JFK to help cover Roswell.-Mark Mekes
This isn't rocket surgery.-Bill Nye
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:55 PM   #42
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by technoextreme View Post
Actually, no. I just realized that it's because a lot of people don't necessarily know how to use a touch screen. I have to dredge up the article that I found but apparently some touch screens do not work in any intuitive manner which was the article I was reading warning voters about. It only registers the vote once you lift your finger off the screen. Hence if you drag your thumb across it the screen will not register the correct vote. I wouldn't say it's stupidity because no one thinks that touch screens work that way.
Well, no...that's why it's called a touch screen, not a drag screen. That, and there are just too many possibilities for confusion if the phrase drag screen were to be misunderstood.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2008, 07:38 PM   #43
Euromutt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fezzic View Post
I don't know how paper trails are supposed to help out or prove. Even if the machine printed a receipt that showed how I 'voted' how the heck can I be sure that the machine isn't lying to me.
I used an electronic voting machine in the state primaries. It doesn't actually give the voter a piece of paper, but rather, there's a roll of paper (similar to a supermarket checkout printout) contained within it. One you've confirmed the votes you want to cast, the printed paper scrolls past a (sealed) window, showing you what votes you've cast. But the paper stays with the machine.
"Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. Hed been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo

by birth, by choice
Euromutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:32 AM   #44
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
the flaws in the systems are not the conspiracy theory, the conspiracy theory is the notion that they were designed that way with the intention of giving the election to the republicans
I guess it's just coincidence that the flaws favor the GOP.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:01 PM   #45
tomwaits
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I guess it's just coincidence that the flaws favor the GOP.
Well, I'd say there's a 50% chance that, given that there are flaws, the flaws would favor the GOP.

ETA: Also, Affirming the Consequent.

Last edited by tomwaits; 3rd November 2008 at 12:35 PM.
tomwaits is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:08 PM   #46
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by R.Mackey View Post
Hypothetical, but honest, question: If vote theft is so widespread and easy, why do we only hear about the Republicans doing it?
I think http://www.bradblog.com/ talked about the Hillary Clinton gang doing it.
Old 3rd November 2008, 01:04 PM   #47
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Back in 2000 everyone was complaining that we were still using old fashioned paper ballots and not something hi-tech. Now that is happening and everyone is complaining about a lack of a paper trail?

Make up your mind people!

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 01:16 PM   #48
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I'll be happy to find out I am wrong.
What are the odds that means you'll only stop whining when your candidate wins?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:08 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Back in 2000 everyone was complaining that we were still using old fashioned paper ballots and not something hi-tech. Now that is happening and everyone is complaining about a lack of a paper trail?

Make up your mind people!
Oh, it gets better then that...and as a Californian you should remember.
Back in 2003,during the Gray Davis recall election ..the one that resulted in Ahrnuld becoming the Guvanator...the ACLU sued to have the election postponed six months so that all paper ballots in Cal could be replaced by a more modern system. They actualy got a lower court ruling in their favor but it was overturned by a upper court after a huge public outcry.
But NOW the ACLU seems to be screaming about how easy corrupted the same system they sued to have put in place is.
Look, all instances of voting irregularties should be investigated. But some Dems seem to be totally paranois and are buying into Wack CTs.
Not to mention the Dems are not without sin in this department.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:34 PM   #50
Donal
Illuminator

The other thing that gets is that if it is so obvious 2000 and 2004 were stolen, why did the DNC itself give up the fight? I mean in 2000, they simply sued over which way to count the votes. And some of the Dems on the Supreme Court sided with Bush. The Democratic party itself never made any real accusations of fraud.

2004, they simply accepted getting robbed.

Does that seem odd to anyone else?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:40 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, I think that A LOT was questionable about what happened in Florida in 2000...and I think the Dems should have pursued it to the end just to see what really happened.
But 2004 in Ohio...not so much. I find the evidence there for a plot very thin. I am not denying that irregulaties occured and they should be investigated, but I don't see them as enough to decide a election, as what happened in Florida in 2000.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2008, 04:17 PM   #52
CurtC
Illuminator

It only registers the vote once you lift your finger off the screen. Hence if you drag your thumb across it the screen will not register the correct vote. I wouldn't say it's stupidity because no one thinks that touch screens work that way.
I would expect touch screens to work the same way that windows-based operating systems work. Pushing a button doesn't activate it, it only activates when you release the push on the same button you pushed in the first place.

Is that what was going on here?
Old 3rd November 2008, 04:21 PM   #53
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
To be fair, I think that A LOT was questionable about what happened in Florida in 2000...and I think the Dems should have pursued it to the end just to see what really happened.
But 2004 in Ohio...not so much. I find the evidence there for a plot very thin. I am not denying that irregulaties occured and they should be investigated, but I don't see them as enough to decide a election, as what happened in Florida in 2000.
I followed this very closely in 2004--the one that got me off thinking electronic voting was a problem was a report that showed that the biggest discrepancies in the exit polls happened in counties that DIDN'T have the machines in question. There were no particular polling anomalies in the touch-screen voting counties.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2008, 12:51 AM   #54
Minadin
Master Poster

I decided to use paper ballot instead of touch-screen. There wasn't a line for the paper ballot booths.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2008, 08:36 AM   #55
1337m4n
Alphanumeric Anonymous Stick Man

Hey conspiranuts, guess what?

"The evidence that the attacks of 9/11 were an inside job just keeps not coming in." --pomeroo
1337m4n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2008, 08:43 AM   #56
catbasket
Graduate Poster

Obama stole the election?
catbasket is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2008, 10:05 AM   #57
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
I would expect touch screens to work the same way that windows-based operating systems work. Pushing a button doesn't activate it, it only activates when you release the push on the same button you pushed in the first place.

Is that what was going on here?
the touchscreen i used activated on first touch, dragging had no effect

i actually found it surprisingly responsive, and very accurate, there wasnt a line behind me so i actually played with it for a 5 minutes, trying to produce "vote flipping" results and wasnt able to get anything

this was a kind i used http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ballot.650.jpg apparently made by a company called Sequoia
Old 9th November 2008, 10:12 AM   #58
technoextreme
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Well, no...that's why it's called a touch screen, not a drag screen. That, and there are just too many possibilities for confusion if the phrase drag screen were to be misunderstood.
Ummm.... No. Read better. Some touch screens only register you lifting your finger off the screen. It's backwards and unintuitive.
It's amazing how many of these "paranormal" icons seem to merge together. There always seem to be theories about how they link together in some way. I'm sure someone has a very good explanation as to how Bigfoot killed JFK to help cover Roswell.-Mark Mekes
This isn't rocket surgery.-Bill Nye

Last edited by technoextreme; 9th November 2008 at 10:14 AM.
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2008, 10:53 AM   #59
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Ummm.... No. Read better. Some touch screens only register you lifting your finger off the screen. It's backwards and unintuitive.
i think that may be more the software behind it than the screen itself, on my windows mobile pda touching and holding the screen works similarly to a right-click, so because of that it doesnt register a normal tap until you remove your finger

as i said previously though, the touch screen i used registered on first touch
Old 12th November 2008, 12:43 PM   #60
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Nice to see that not all conspiracy theorizing is dead around here; the black box voting stuff is every bit as retarded as 9-11 Troof. Bev Harris and Brad Friedman are sophisticated versions of Sofia Shafquat and Steven Jones.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2008, 12:51 PM   #61
TexasJack
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I've brought this up before, but if Gore had won his own home state, this would have never been an issue.
TexasJack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories