IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags election conspiracies

Old 8th February 2014, 09:17 PM   #1
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

40 house members not running for re-election, CTers assume this is a BIG deal

This is something I've noticed on nearly every conspiracy site/podcast I've listened to in the past week (sadly I listen to quite a few while I'm working on my dissertation..data entry is boring). So, midterm elections in the US are in November and as is perfectly normal and happens every election cycle, members of the House or Senate that are not running all announce the January or February before the midterms.

Since there are 435 total people in Congress, 40 or so announcing they are not running again is not at all unusual. They don't run for a variety of reasons - some want to retire, some face primaries they know they can't win, some want to go into the (more lucrative) government consulting business.

But oh no, not to the conspiracy crowd. For them, this is proof of:
- Mass arrests coming!
- NESARA/Prosperity packages about to arrive!
- Dinar RV about to occur.

And other mythical, completely bizarre conclusions. Its all over GLP, ATS, dinar RV sites, etc.

This is the news article they are going nuts over:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A131GZ20140204

Last edited by LightinDarkness; 8th February 2014 at 09:18 PM.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Playing Games
Thinker

Oh oh! Martial Law coming soon!

Playing Games is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2014, 07:31 AM   #3
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LightinDarkness View Post
Since there are 435 total people in Congress, 40 or so announcing they are not running again is not at all unusual. They don't run for a variety of reasons - some want to retire, some face primaries they know they can't win, some want to go into the (more lucrative) government consulting business.

Actually, there are 435 voting members of the House of Representatives, all of whom must stand for reelection every two years. There are 100 members of the US Senate; however, Senators serve six-year terms, and 1/3 of the terms expire every two years. Additionally, some states require that, when a vacancy in a Senate seat occurs, the person appointed to fill the seat must stand for election at the next federal general election, even if the six-year term of that seat has not expired. Therefore, 36 Senate seats will be voted on in November, making the total 471.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
catsmate
No longer the 1

This is something I've noticed on nearly every conspiracy site/podcast I've listened to in the past week (sadly I listen to quite a few while I'm working on my dissertation..data entry is boring). So, midterm elections in the US are in November and as is perfectly normal and happens every election cycle, members of the House or Senate that are not running all announce the January or February before the midterms.

But oh no, not to the conspiracy crowd. For them, this is proof of:
- Mass arrests coming!
- Dinar RV about to occur.

And other mythical, completely bizarre conclusions. Its all over GLP, ATS, dinar RV sites, etc.

This is the news article they are going nuts over:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A131GZ20140204
I wasn't aware of the Iraqi Dinar revaluation insanity, thanks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2014, 03:36 PM   #5
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

This sort of reminds me of the series of Dilbert strips where the Pointy Haired Boss gets all upset after learning that 40% of employee absences happen on Monday and Friday.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Bishop
Critical Thinker

Is 40 an unusually high number for this?
Bishop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Note as well that quite a few of the House members are trying to move up to the Senate: 8 Republicans and 2 Democrats, while 2 other Democrats are hoping to land in the governor's mansion.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2014, 09:01 PM   #8
rommelrommel
Student

Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
40% is exactly what you would get assuming sick calls were totally random and honest. 5 working days a week. 20% per day. That the boss is oblivious to the math and is just having an emotional reaction is the joke
rommelrommel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 12:23 AM   #9
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
40% is exactly what you would get assuming sick calls were totally random and honest. 5 working days a week. 20% per day. That the boss is oblivious to the math and is just having an emotional reaction is the joke

I think Bishop was responding to the OP, and not the Dilbert joke, even though the positions of the two posts imply the latter.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 06:25 AM   #10
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I think Bishop was responding to the OP, and not the Dilbert joke, even though the positions of the two posts imply the latter.

^^^^^This is why one should use the "quote" function.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 12:11 PM   #11
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Well, assuming a typical five day work week, 40% of workdays are Mondays and Fridays, so 40% of absences happening on those two days is exactly what would be expected.

ETA: Ninja'd, and yes, "40" could apply to the Dilbert series, or to the number of Representatives not running for re-election.

Last edited by CORed; 12th February 2014 at 12:13 PM.
CORed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 02:02 PM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
ETA: Ninja'd, and yes, "40" could apply to the Dilbert series, or to the number of Representatives not running for re-election.
15 hours. Isn't that a very broad definition of the verb "To Ninja."

ETA but more seriously. 40 and 40. I have to ask, isn't that too large of a coincidence to be a coincidence?!!11??
Is Dilbert trying to warn us!!11!!

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th February 2014 at 02:38 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

-
I had no idea what this was so I Googled it with the idea of taking a quick peek down the rabbit hole.

Yikes! For all I know, this hole could be bottomless.

(in no particular order)
"...old man Bush, No. 41, who is a disguised German brought over from the Hitler era."

"The world is being held hostage by a criminal organization known as the cabal which has and will do anything to maintain control of its slaves. Yes – key word is slaves and that is us!"

-Obama is the puppet of the NWO cabal.

-"CNN has all the videos and data to reveal the true stories of this criminal organization. It is rumored they are refusing to release them because of death threats against the board of director’s families."
From what I see, I am inferring that there will be a coup, Obama removed from office, and the next day a new currency will be issued to the common folk (at local banks). And because this currency is not controlled by the FED it will be valuable enough that everyone (all the honest folks, not the NWO puppets) will be prosperous. And then, (in their own words) "FUNDS SHALL BE USED FOR NEW PROJECTS, NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND RESTORING OUR COMMUNITIES. JOBS WILL BE CREATED IN MASSIVE NUMBERS. "

It is like the bastard child of Freemanism and Lyndon LaRouche fantasies.

I kind of want to comment on it , but I don't know where to start. It is so wacky that I am speechless.

I give up, mark me as nonplussed.

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th February 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 03:32 PM   #14
vtbub
Critical Thinker

10% retirement rate is not exceptionally high. Although some of these will be contested races, the majority are going to be safe seats.

Washington is a grind.
vtbub is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Bishop
Critical Thinker

I didn't bother quoting the OP because, well, I had thought it would be pretty what I was referring to.
Bishop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 10:29 PM   #16
Dog Town
Banned

That depends how you like 42, being the answer!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2014, 01:26 AM   #17
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Sorry for the delayed responses, I kind of forgot about this thread!

No, 40 is actually quite normal. As has been pointed out, a big chunk of it is House members seeking Senate positions - the rest are your quite normal retirements to consulting/people seeking other political offices.

And thats why I think this is so hilarious. Every election year around this time the media has articles about this...I remember them every year...saying XX number of House members are not seeking re-election. And every single time the conspiracy theorists work themselves into a frenzy about it.

Its just a total ignorance of the political system...not surprising, since they are conspiracy theorists.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2014, 01:29 AM   #18
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I had no idea what this was so I Googled it with the idea of taking a quick peek down the rabbit hole.
I have to say that the whole prosperity funds/global currency reset conspiracy mythology is among the most insane theories I've ever heard. I have sort of a hobby of listening to conspiracy oriented media and its kind of hilarious because even though the entire thing is insane, its WIDELY believed by the bulk of the conspiracy community from what I can tell. They talk about it as if its simply a matter of fact: NESARA/the global currency reset (both have a connected mythology) is always coming "this week" and then all the righteous conspiracy theorists will be rich and all the evil cabal will be brought down.
Old 14th February 2014, 01:34 AM   #19
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Glad to share the insanity The dinar RV is probably one of the oldest scams of the internet, its been going on now for 10 years or so - conspiracy theorists/other delusional & stupid people buy iraqi dinars from dealers (who are the only ones getting rich off the mythological RV). They have their own little community echo chamber of conference calls and websites that proclaim the RV is "today" literally every day, most of it run by pumpers for the currency sellers.

Then every day when it doesn't happen we hear dramatic tales of why the RV didn't occur. One of the biggest dinar pumpers is a guy called "TNT Tony", and for example his most recent thing is the RV *has* occurred but the banks letting rich people/politicians cash out and not letting your average conspiracy theorist who holds dinar cash out. And there are about 50,000 people that listen to his weekly conference calls. If you want a treat, search twitter for the hash tag #wearethepeople - its TNT Tony's followers tweeting about how its wrong that the rich get to cash out over them. Tony told them to tweet about it so that the Powers That Be would be scared of the media attention. When you consider its all a myth - there is no RV, no one is cashing out anyone, there are no "elites" cashing out, etc. - its funny/sad.

Last edited by LightinDarkness; 14th February 2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 14th February 2014, 05:38 AM   #20
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

No, 40 is actually quite normal. As has been pointed out, a big chunk of it is House members seeking Senate positions - the rest are your quite normal retirements to consulting/people seeking other political offices.

And thats why I think this is so hilarious. Every election year around this time the media has articles about this...I remember them every year...saying XX number of House members are not seeking re-election. And every single time the conspiracy theorists work themselves into a frenzy about it.

Its just a total ignorance of the political system...not surprising, since they are conspiracy theorists.
But isn't it more than ignorance of the system if they forget what happened just two years ago(and two years before that)?

I guess it is that brand of willful ignorance often found in true believers.

I wonder if it is harder to walk away from a financial investment gone bad, or an emotional investment gone bad?
Old 14th February 2014, 06:07 AM   #21
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I remember them every year...saying XX number of House members are not seeking re-election. And every single time the conspiracy theorists work themselves into a frenzy about it.

But isn't it more than ignorance of the system if they forget what happened just two years ago(and two years before that)?

It's probably wilful ignorance on their part. An essential aspect of almost all NWO-type CTs is that anyone will do anything to achieve, and then hold on to, power. Politicians will swear allegiance to any unholy power without batting an eye if it means they'll win an election, and then kill or imprison anyone who threatens their power.

So having real-world politicians voluntarily leaving office at the end of their terms for such simple things as getting a new job, retirement, or even just feeling like they're accomplished what they intended to accomplish, cuts to the heart of their delusion. There's no way the CTists will believe such simple explanations, so of course it must be that something sinister is afoot, forcing all these people out of office.

It's essentially the same reason that they claim that every president will "cancel the elections" and declare himself "president for life"; they can't let themselves imagine that the president will actually follow the rules on term limits and elections, despite seeing literally every president the US has ever had do just that.
Old 14th February 2014, 07:12 AM   #22
catsmate
No longer the 1

In the 1944 HoR elections (which I've recently crunched for another thread) forty sitting members didn't run:
  • 13 sitting members weren't selected for the election, i.e. lost renomination
  • 25 retired, eight of which ran for the US Senate and two for Governor
  • 2 resigned, one to serve in the US Army
That's out of 435 seats.

Glad to share the insanity The dinar RV is probably one of the oldest scams of the internet, its been going on now for 10 years or so - conspiracy theorists/other delusional & stupid people buy iraqi dinars from dealers (who are the only ones getting rich off the mythological RV). They have their own little community echo chamber of conference calls and websites that proclaim the RV is "today" literally every day, most of it run by pumpers for the currency sellers.

Then every day when it doesn't happen we hear dramatic tales of why the RV didn't occur. One of the biggest dinar pumpers is a guy called "TNT Tony", and for example his most recent thing is the RV *has* occurred but the banks letting rich people/politicians cash out and not letting your average conspiracy theorist who holds dinar cash out. And there are about 50,000 people that listen to his weekly conference calls. If you want a treat, search twitter for the hash tag #wearethepeople - its TNT Tony's followers tweeting about how its wrong that the rich get to cash out over them. Tony told them to tweet about it so that the Powers That Be would be scared of the media attention. When you consider its all a myth - there is no RV, no one is cashing out anyone, there are no "elites" cashing out, etc. - its funny/sad.
Fascinating. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2014, 08:40 PM   #23
Matthew Cline
Muse

I guess it is that brand of willful ignorance often found in true believers.
Well, to play devil's advocate, maybe they think that if there was nothing nefarious going on that national level politicians would hardly ever retire, thus the fact that them retiring is a regular thing that's been happening forever is just proof that They have been doing nefarious things forever.
Matthew Cline is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2014, 02:50 AM   #24
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

The Skeptiod blog has a pretty good rundown.

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/02/10/...e-iraqi-dinar/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2014, 09:57 AM   #25
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
they can't let themselves imagine that the president will actually follow the rules on term limits and elections, despite seeing literally every president the US has ever had do just that.
Literally every president? Surely JFK did not voluntarily leave office?
Old 15th February 2014, 12:09 PM   #26
catsmate
No longer the 1

Nor Lincoln, Garfield, Taylor, Harrison, McKinley, Harding and Roosevelt I'd expect.
Old 15th February 2014, 05:46 PM   #27
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Nor Lincoln, Garfield, Taylor, Harrison, McKinley, Harding and Roosevelt I'd expect.
Nixon was none too pleased with his circumstances, either.
Old 16th February 2014, 02:10 PM   #28
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
True, I'd forgotten about him.
Old 16th February 2014, 05:13 PM   #29
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

That still qualifies as voluntary. He could have stayed on and tried to fight the impeachment, but he resigned.

Yes, it was strongly suggested that he do so, but he made the decision himself.
Old 17th February 2014, 08:19 AM   #30
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

That still qualifies as voluntary. He could have stayed on and tried to fight the impeachment, but he resigned.

Well, okay, but this highlights my point: even in cases involving assassinations and impeachments, everybody involved (who wasn't dead ) followed the established rules for succession of power, and didn't use the circumstances to establish themselves as dictators.
Old 17th February 2014, 09:49 AM   #31
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Well, okay, but this highlights my point: even in cases involving assassinations and impeachments, everybody involved (who wasn't dead ) followed the established rules for succession of power, and didn't use the circumstances to establish themselves as dictators.
Which is why it will be so easy for Obama; no one is expecting it!

[Tried to fit the Spanish Inquisition into this, but it was just too long for such a stupid joke.]
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2014, 12:41 PM   #32
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Which is why it will be so easy for Obama; no one is expecting it!

[Tried to fit the Spanish Inquisition into this, but it was just too long for such a stupid joke.]

Well, that's good, because I wasn't expecting some sort of Spanish Inquisition!
Old 17th February 2014, 12:53 PM   #33
Matthew Cline
Muse

I, for one, welcome our new zombie dictator overlord.
Matthew Cline is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2014, 08:46 PM   #34
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I didn't say it wasn't voluntary.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories