IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Bernie Sanders , election conspiracies , hillary clinton

Old 18th May 2016, 07:48 PM   #41
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Do you think that there may be a straightforward reason why conspiracy-minded folks would flock to the banner of someone who repeats the refrain that the system is rigged?
I mentioned something that Sanders says every time he takes the stage.

You dug up a quote from around two decades ago.
Did I say he used that particular word? (No.)

Did I claim that he affirms that the system is rigged? (Yes.)

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/pol..._say059421.php
He "repeats" it, he "says" it "every time he takes the stage." But he doesn't "use" the word. K.

Then you cite an anti sanders blog piece that also claims he "says" the word that he doesn't use.

Huh. Cool story.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 07:49 PM   #42
d4m10n
Philosopher

Yes, let's make this about wording instead of concepts. Sounds legit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18th May 2016, 08:00 PM   #43
The Big Dog

Yes, let's make this about wording instead of concepts. Sounds legit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well when one reads that Bernie Sanders "says" something "every time he takes the stage" one would expect that he actually "says" it, but perhaps that is another example of "conspiracy thinking"?

Just a vast right word conspiracy.

Solid.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 08:54 PM   #44
d4m10n
Philosopher

Name any Sanders speech 16.5

Randomize if you like.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:21 PM   #45
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Yes, it really is sad when 25% of the population screams at another 25% of the population for being corrupt, dishonest, ignorant shills for evil. Can't they all just get along so they can be unified in screaming at the 50% of Americans who really are corrupt, dishonest, ignorant shills for evil?
Well, your percentages are off. It's more like having 12% of the population scream at 17% of the population, which they should halt so they can get around to jointly screaming at the 26% who are truly evil, while the remaining 46% of the country ask, "When's Keeping Up With the Kardashians coming on?" (A total of 54% of voters identify with a political party.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 09:34 PM   #46
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
<snip>
By the way, I am having trouble finding where Bernie sanders used the word rigged. Can you do me a solid and give me a link?
No problem, bro.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/break...ry?id=38813388

Quote:
"When we talk about a rigged system, it’s also important to understand how the Democratic Convention works,” Sanders said at a rally today in Evansville, Indiana. “We have won, at this point, 45 percent of pledged delegates, but we have only earned 7 percent of superdelegates.

“So, in other words, the way the system works, is you have establishment candidates who win virtually all of the superdelegates. It makes it hard for insurgent candidacies like ours to win.”

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 18th May 2016 at 09:41 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 09:40 PM   #47
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Hahahah! Fantastic! Two decades ago, two days ago, the vast right wing conspiracy is ever after her. Bet you wish you could take back that bs about who conspiracy minded folks are drawn to, huh?

Going by this thread it seems pretty clear. You also ignored the Carville comment.
Lest 16.5 send me an honorary membership in the QMCPU (Quote-Miners and Cherry Pickers Union), this is the snipped portion of the post I quoted above. I hadn't wanted to address this, 'cuz it's so logical and stuff.

Old 18th May 2016, 10:16 PM   #48
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The problem with Bernie is that I think he entered the race to promote his ideas and programs,but now his ego has taken over. I think it's the old,old, story of power corrupts.
New meme Bernie and Teh Donald: Both fakes, unlike Hillary who just wants to help you
Old 18th May 2016, 10:36 PM   #49
Malbec
Muse

The Trumpet three points ahead nationally .
Trend looks encouraging for our man to smash the Bush - Clinton Crime Syndicate .
Keep wearing the body armour , Donald
Malbec is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 10:40 PM   #50
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Because Malbec never provides a source:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...ox-news-223344

Quote:
Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump leads Hillary Clinton in a hypothetical general election matchup, according to a Fox News poll released Wednesday evening.

Trump leads Clinton 45 percent to 42 percent, within the poll’s 3-point margin of error. In the same poll conducted in April, Clinton led by 7 points — 48 percent to 41 percent.
Seems like Trump victory is inevitable unless there is a flaw in the poll.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 11:12 PM   #51
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Because Malbec never provides a source:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...ox-news-223344

Seems like Trump victory is inevitable unless there is a flaw in the poll.
I have the rare privilege of receiving FOX News over here. They're heading for another election night meltdown of their avid followers. Their primary lunatic mouthpiece, Sean Hannity, has been hosting his own Trump Hour (it has some other name but that's its thrust) for the past three months. He has an almost nightly phone interview with him and the depth of the questions run to "Somebody said this about that.... What would you like to respond?" And then Sean nods his head and agrees with Donald and pats him on the back.

All of their group discussions center around "unifying the party", "something bad about Hillary", or "trouble in the Democratic Party". This is the exact same sort of "news" coverage FOX gave us in 2012, only replace "Trump" with "Romney".

(Poll was the least reliable sampling.... "registered voters". Real Clear Politics doesn't include this version of Fox polls, but takes the one where they use a smaller sampling but a better-targeted sampling.)

Old 19th May 2016, 07:27 AM   #52
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The election cycles have been getting longer and longer, particularly the last three.
Insanely long election mode is only one of many, many smaller signs of dysfunctionality of USA political system. Soon enough goverment and parties will be doing nothing during entire 4 years but fighting for next election.

More seriously, bovine matter byproduct will hit whirling device long before that. Unfortunately, in my estimates I will be still living by then and suffer more or less indirect consequences of USA falling apart thanks to Trumpists and other rethuglican degenerates. How is "Heil Führer Putin" in russian?
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 08:37 AM   #53
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I think your primary problem is being emotionally invested in anything that happens on Facebook. It's 95% sturm und drang, signifying nothing of consequence. The other 5% are wedding announcements and pictures of your friends' babies.
THIS

If you can't help being affected by the reality-show-drama that facebook is, then I suggest you either close your account or stay away from it for a while.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 08:47 AM   #54
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

You might want to start to the head of the DNC?
So you want me to start chasing down conspiracy theories?

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Wow!

Let me bring you back, it may have started with a little episode called Travelgate.

I can't even begin to imagine listing all the scandals the Clinton's have been involved in. From abuse of power, sex, resignations of cabinet members, deaths of cabinet members. The list is endless.

Travis most people realize this is not a good person. To the left, its all about politics, they would elect the devil if it was a liberal, actually maybe she is.
I remember Travelgate. Much ado about nothing. Like all the other supposed "scandals" that right wingers have thrown out over the years.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 09:25 AM   #55
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
This election is draining me. But it isn't the Trump nonsense as I generally don't know anyone that subjects me to his brain droppings. It is the ongoing petulant slap fight on the Democratic side. It has made facebook such an exhausting ordeal that I've opted to just skip it most days rather start unfriending people in large numbers.

And what really gets me is that it is people on my side that are really annoying me the most. The Bernie zealots have just pushed me to the edge of a breakdown. Their constant appeal to conspiracy theories and immediate proclamations of "SHILL!" whenever someone points this out or in any way criticizes Bernie makes me really wonder just how different they are from the Truthers we all used to love mocking.

Even here in this forum I've had people accuse me of lying about being a Bernie supporter because I don't venerate his every utterance. It is possible to not agree with everything a candidate stands for and still like them. It is also possible to still hold great respect for their opponent. Shocking, I know.

The nonsense at the NV convention was illuminating. How hypocritical is it to get angry when your attempts to bypass the rules doesn't work and then to complain the system is corrupt? I'd say very. I've long had my suspicion that much of the bad part of the Bernie support comes from his followers being new to the way politics works. That they are naive and shocked to find out politics isn't just giving everything to the angry mob. That there are rules, a system, to make sure that it isn't just a populist whim and that, in the long run, this is a good thing.

Someone made an effort to track down some of the agitators that made threats against Roberta Lange and I found the results unsurprising. Young people who just don't get that the braying mob doesn't always get its way when it screams REAL LOUD.

I know lots of great Bernie supporters. And I note they tend to be a bit older and more inured in the way things work. They are people like my veterinarian and some school teachers. They like him but he ain't no Messiah because, seriously, he isn't. He ain't even that different from the "evil one" Hillary.

And lets get on that. Is she unlikable? Polls say so. But why? I've come to the conclusion that people think she's unlikable because others keep saying she is unlikable. It's a self fulfilling prophesy of sorts. Most of my recent social media arguments have come via constant shares from #DropOutHillary which exists because she has gotten the most votes and is therefore on track to be the nominee which angers many in the Bernie crowd who apparently think he should win even though he didn't because "reasons".

Gee, isn't thinking you should get your way even when you didn't win sort of like the system perversion that you rail against? Can they be so unaware?

Why not be gracious losers? There's dignity in that. It's what I planned on being. I threw my support behind someone that the talking heads on TV said had no chance because the Progressive Left was nothing more than a statistically insignificant fringe movement and watched him make a really good race out of it. Bernie doing so well has proven the talking heads wrong. That is a huge win right there! A win that could be capitalized on and made into something more permanent in the future. Use that momentum and get more like minded politicians into congress! Use the system don't just stand outside and hurl insults at it thinking that will let you get your way.

Oh, but I know even making such suggestions makes me a "shill" undoubtedly working for the same "corporate fascists that imploded the WTC" or something.
Actually no mob (large group of people) should get what it wants when it yells. For example the French Revolution where scientists each worth more than a hundred thousand peasants were murdered by such crowds.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 09:26 AM   #56
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I think your primary problem is being emotionally invested in anything that happens on Facebook. It's 95% sturm und drang, signifying nothing of consequence. The other 5% are wedding announcements and pictures of your friends' babies.
And cute baby and animal pictures and jokes/cartoons.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 09:27 AM   #57
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The problem with Bernie is that I think he entered the race to promote his ideas and programs,but now his ego has taken over. I think it's the old,old, story of power corrupts.
That also.
Old 19th May 2016, 09:30 AM   #58
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There is something going on there. Cheering crowds went to his head? He's reliving his activist college days? His latent HDS has bubbled to the surface? His pent up annoyance he's not been able to move the Democrats in the Senate or the DNC over to his ideology is coming out?
Pick any three. I just hope he is not this season's Nader. If he manages to be, I will be writing him and hope many others will to "thank" him.
Old 19th May 2016, 09:35 AM   #59
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
That is a quite candid and unexpected admission from you.
Good point!!!!!
Old 19th May 2016, 10:07 AM   #60
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I starting to worry that we might see a Tea Party of the left because of this primary...
I know! OTOH, I am beginning to understand more about all the complaints on ISF about SJWs and political correctness. More a phenom than I'd thought.
Old 19th May 2016, 11:07 AM   #61
The Big Dog

Name any Sanders speech 16.5

Randomize if you like.
am i supposed to know what that even means? i shall name this speech sally!

You made a claim you couldn't back up, got called on it. no reason to get testy with me.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:39 PM   #62
Travis

Sanders uses the phrase "rigged" all the time. Just pick any of the debates. I don't necessarily disagree with him on that but the phrase is bound to attract those with some very alternative ways of thinking too.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 01:44 PM   #63
angrysoba
Philosophile

I do have a sneaking admiration for people like Trump, Clinton and Sanders. If young whippersnappers like Travis who are not even running get worn down then it is quite remarkable that people of their age can put up with this kind of grueling campaign.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 05:52 PM   #64
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Sanders uses the phrase "rigged" all the time. Just pick any of the debates. I don't necessarily disagree with him on that but the phrase is bound to attract those with some very alternative ways of thinking too.
As with most of the lies, er, erroneous assertions he makes, I think Brave Sir Robin has decided not to pursue this particular discussion. Running away is so much cooler than saying, "Oops. Apparently I was wrong about that. My bad."

Old 19th May 2016, 08:22 PM   #65
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Travis, if I may make a recommendation to you, turn off the TV, if what's going on now is wearing on you already, here's some bad news, it's only going to get worse between now and November.
Now, once the TV is off, take up a nice hobby. You seem to like trains, get yourself a nice train set and build a realistic layout. This will keep you busy, and your mind off all those messy political machinations that are upsetting you so. A nice train layout will provide you with hours of soothing relaxation.
Look how happy this gentleman is playing with his deluxe train layout...
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th May 2016, 02:32 AM   #66
Arg9
Muse

This election is draining me. But it isn't the Trump nonsense as I generally don't know anyone that subjects me to his brain droppings. It is the ongoing petulant slap fight on the Democratic side. It has made facebook such an exhausting ordeal that I've opted to just skip it most days rather start unfriending people in large numbers...
Staying off of Facebook is a good start. Its a psycho circus. This election is the worst. So many people I know are wondering what the hell has happened to our country (both "left" and "right"). All of our candidates are ******* crazy. And so is the majority of the population.

One way trip to Mars may not be a bad deal.
Arg9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:30 AM   #67
The Big Dog

And what really gets me is that it is people on my side that are really annoying me the most. The Bernie zealots have just pushed me to the edge of a breakdown. .
by the way, I liked this thread better when it was called I'm thinking of abandoning Bernie
Old 20th May 2016, 10:50 AM   #68
Travis

Yeah, but I'm not thinking of abandoning Bernie. Wouldn't make a difference now. I'm locked in there for the primary election. I just hope I can have some influence on the other Bernie supporters and try and keep them from screwing things up and handing over the election to Trump with all the knock on effects that would have.

Old 20th May 2016, 11:28 AM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah, but I'm not thinking of abandoning Bernie. Wouldn't make a difference now. I'm locked in there for the primary election. I just hope I can have some influence on the other Bernie supporters and try and keep them from screwing things up and handing over the election to Trump with all the knock on effects that would have.
I don't want to sound rude, but if you really want to influence Bernie supporters to vote for Clinton your best bet is to say nothing at all. We've had the lectures from people telling us its for our own good etc, and we find them patronizing. The thing most likely to drive a Bernie supporter to vote Trump is anger because the Clintonites just. won't. shut. up. We know already. Stop lecturing. It's very annoying, and we are not patient people.
Old 20th May 2016, 01:51 PM   #70
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't want to sound rude, but if you really want to influence Bernie supporters to vote for Clinton your best bet is to say nothing at all. We've had the lectures from people telling us its for our own good etc, and we find them patronizing. The thing most likely to drive a Bernie supporter to vote Trump is anger because the Clintonites just. won't. shut. up. We know already. Stop lecturing. It's very annoying, and we are not patient people.
I'm sure you can appreciate that there's some level of anxiety in the sane circles of the public given what comes out of Trump's mouth and how the insane circles are lapping it up. That said, if you already know why Hillary is better than Trump, I, for one, will not speak about it with you.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 01:59 PM   #71
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

It's all moot. The obvious is already happening. Today, eg, CNN is covering live the full talk Trump is giving to the NRA or some such. Meaning, his lock on free media is tremendous, given how he can generate good buzz for 24 hour news, which is its lifeblood. He'll waltz across the finish line.

Swear I'll go cut a fart out in front of the US consulate if he is elected.
Old 20th May 2016, 02:01 PM   #72
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

If your mental health is being affected by Facebook, the the solution is less Facebook.

I know you have stressful parts of your life that you cannot eliminate, therefore it is all the more important to reduce or eliminate the stressful parts can can be changed.

Every time you want to go on Facebook, stop and do push-ups unti the feeling passes. Imagine how ripped you will be by November.

Last edited by Ladewig; 20th May 2016 at 02:04 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 02:05 PM   #73
Travis

I'm astonished how everyone keeps telling me to ignore the terrible thing rather than try and fix it.

Old 20th May 2016, 02:15 PM   #74
Maya22
Graduate Poster

I'm astonished how everyone keeps telling me to ignore the terrible thing rather than try and fix it.

Have you voted yet?
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 02:16 PM   #75
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

How could you "fix" it?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 02:47 PM   #76
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Like others have asked, how would/could you hope to "fix" it? It's going to happen regardless* of what you may, or my not do. If it bothers you and you are helpless to stop it, perhaps the best thing you can do IS ignore it, at least until November.

*Unless you're planning on killing Trump somehow, which I find pretty unlikely given your generally non violent persona.
Old 20th May 2016, 03:37 PM   #77
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's not within your power to "fix it". It is within your power to make it worse.
Old 20th May 2016, 06:17 PM   #78
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Travis, I had to unfollow my niece's husband on FB because he is for Trump, thinks all Muslims should be deported, even if born here, and thinks the worst thing about the bill in NC was inconveniencing all the ticket buyers for cancelled concerts. Oh, and he's threatened to kill any man/woman he finds in a bathroom with my great-niece or great nephew. In person, he's an ok kinda guy. Politics and religion tip him over the edge.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 06:45 PM   #79
The Big Dog

yeah, unless you have about 3.5 billion bucks you are not going to fix facebook.

my recommendation is that you stop pretending to be a bernie supporter and just go whole hog for hillary. It is fine.

You have been supporting hillary for months. it is ok, just go for it!
Old 20th May 2016, 08:41 PM   #80
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

by the way, I liked this thread better when it was called I'm thinking of abandoning Bernie
Yeah, 'cuz heaven forbid someone would reword a previously conceived thought and post it again (and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again.....)

Pot/Kettle?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics