IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Bernie Sanders , election conspiracies , hillary clinton

Old 20th May 2016, 08:44 PM   #81
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
yeah, unless you have about 3.5 billion bucks you are not going to fix facebook.

my recommendation is that you stop pretending to be a bernie supporter and just go whole hog for hillary. It is fine.

You have been supporting hillary for months. it is ok, just go for it!
Or he could do like you and pretend to be a Bernie supporter and vote Trump. (I have as much proof of that as you do of your slander.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:15 PM   #82
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Or he could do like you and pretend to be a Bernie supporter and vote Trump. (I have as much proof of that as you do of your slander.)
For whatever reason, a lot of people find it hard to believe that Sanders' supporters don't all have HDS and that they do see her as at least a reasonable alternative.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:33 PM   #83
Maya22
Graduate Poster

HDS?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDS
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:35 PM   #84
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Hillary Derangement Syndrome.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:38 PM   #85
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
Hillary Derangement Syndrome.

I've never heard of that before now. I suppose that anyone who is willing to go into the difficult life of politics must be at least a little bit deranged.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:44 PM   #86
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Maya22 View Post
I've never heard of that before now. I suppose that anyone who is willing to go into the difficult life of politics must be at least a little bit deranged.
Sorry, we've been using the HDS abbreviation throughout these threads. It's not something I use much elsewhere.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 10:48 PM   #87
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Sorry, we've been using the HDS abbreviation throughout these threads. It's not something I use much elsewhere.

No need to apologize. I sometimes skim through the threads, and I don't retain everything.
Old 20th May 2016, 10:50 PM   #88
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

For whatever reason, a lot of people find it hard to believe that Sanders' supporters don't all have HDS and that they do see her as at least a reasonable alternative.
It's largely partisan gamesmanship, as you know. You can't look at various options and see an end game and ask, "Well, what can we get out of this?" You have to hate the other camp with a purple passion, employ slash-and-burn tactics and alienate your potential allies.

It's not exclusive to the left(ish). I pity our average "thinking conservatives" around here. They may hate Trump more than I do (that's a pretty high bar), but they are so accustomed to tearing down the Dems and willy-nilly supporting the GOP, that they're knee-jerk attacking simply out of ingrained/habitual behavior. Every now and then one of them comes up for air and admits that Trump would be the worstest POTUS one could imagine (and that if we're honest, one can't even imagine him winning), but then revert to attacking Hillary. Sort of like the old scorpion-and-pig story. "It's my nature."

Sooner or later reality has to set in. Sorry, kiddies but handy skeptical memes don't work as arguments. It IS a binary choice, now. You get Hillary Clinton or you get Donald Trump. You need to weigh both of those possibilities very carefully. There's no last-minute Bernie miracle. There's no Ryan third party run. That's it. You get steak or fish, as Barry Sotero explained. No, you can't have the Couscous Surprise. Steak or Fish, or you don't eat.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2016, 11:01 PM   #89
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I believe it segues from Bush Derangement Syndrome, its most common application. A lot of my buddies on the left still suffer from that. The term was coined by an actual from (maybe a good) psychiatrist (but a lousy political pundit).

A lot of us thought it ironic that the conservatives spent eight years harping about liberals who suffered from BDS, when a scant few months later the disease morphed into its more virulent form, Obama Derangement Syndrome (sometimes referred to by its proper medical term: WaitWhatWeHaveABlackPresident-osis).

And while it was never used during Bill's presidential term, it's pretty apparent in reviewing the era and in reaction in the present day that there was a definite CDS - Clinton(Bill) Derangement Syndrome. That virus mutated into the current HDS.

Should Agent Orange win (actually likely before that, like last week), we'll see a serious outbreak of Trump Derangement Syndrome. (Even within the Democratic Party there's always been a Kennedy(all) Derangement Syndrome and it certainly exists on the right...)

In short? Politics as usual. We use it to annoy people we disagree with.

Old 21st May 2016, 05:35 AM   #90
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

In short? Politics as usual. We use it to annoy people we disagree with.
Spoken like someone clearly in the throes of ECETOISATPMDS. (Every Candidate Except The One I Support At This Particular Moment Derangement Syndrome). It's amazing how prevalent ECETOISATPMDS is, it seems to sweep the nation every time there's an election. Thank heavens I'm immune.
Old 21st May 2016, 07:28 AM   #91
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Spoken like someone clearly in the throes of ECETOISATPMDS. (Every Candidate Except The One I Support At This Particular Moment Derangement Syndrome). It's amazing how prevalent ECETOISATPMDS is, it seems to sweep the nation every time there's an election. Thank heavens I'm immune.
Absolutely incorrect, fanged simian. My fight here has not been "for" anyone. It's been against the faction of HDS sufferers who are so blinded by their partisanship that the repeat anything, regardless of the source or accuracy.

I'm a grudging Sanders supporter, as he's the closest to my farther left positions. Just as I'm proposing to Sanders progressives that they need to accept the "best of the rest", I'm willing to accept Sanders on the basis of "Well, he's no W.E.B. Dubois, but it's good to see anyone running a campaign from a radical left setting.

My constant iteration has been that we need to bury the hatchet and get on to trouncing the Republicans in November. If Bernie had been the choice, I'd be making the same appeal to Hillary's supporters.

Old 21st May 2016, 08:31 AM   #92
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Absolutely incorrect, fanged simian. My fight here has not been "for" anyone. It's been against the faction of HDS sufferers who are so blinded by their partisanship that the repeat anything, regardless of the source or accuracy.

I'm a grudging Sanders supporter, as he's the closest to my farther left positions. Just as I'm proposing to Sanders progressives that they need to accept the "best of the rest", I'm willing to accept Sanders on the basis of "Well, he's no W.E.B. Dubois, but it's good to see anyone running a campaign from a radical left setting.

My constant iteration has been that we need to bury the hatchet and get on to trouncing the Republicans in November. If Bernie had been the choice, I'd be making the same appeal to Hillary's supporters.
Yep. Ocean madness.
Old 21st May 2016, 12:25 PM   #93
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
How could you "fix" it?
I berated one friend into stopping it. He now accepts that he got too emotionally invested in Bernie as "his" candidate.

yeah, unless you have about 3.5 billion bucks you are not going to fix facebook.

my recommendation is that you stop pretending to be a bernie supporter and just go whole hog for hillary. It is fine.

You have been supporting hillary for months. it is ok, just go for it!
I've been defending Hillary for months. There is a difference. I defended W on things I felt he was being slandered for too. Do you think I was a supporter of him?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 12:35 PM   #94
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I've been defending Hillary for months. There is a difference. I defended W on things I felt he was being slandered for too. Do you think I was a supporter of him?
tomato tomato
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 07:53 PM   #95
Travis

I find it disturbing that you think defending someone is the same as supporting them. By extension this means that for you someone's innocence or guilt is entirely dependent on whether you support them or not.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 08:40 PM   #96
The Big Dog

I find it disturbing that you think defending someone is the same as supporting them. By extension this means that for you someone's innocence or guilt is entirely dependent on whether you support them or not.

dude, you are not a lawyer. Plus threads like "i think I am dumping Bernie" or whatever it was called, is by no possible stretch of the imagination "defending" Hillary.

It is cool tho.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 09:07 PM   #97
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

dude, you are not a lawyer. Plus threads like "i think I am dumping Bernie" or whatever it was called, is by no possible stretch of the imagination "defending" Hillary.

It is cool tho.
As on many topics, your speculation is wrong. It is possible to defend someone from fevered attacks without actually supporting them. Just because you pretended to be a Bernie supporter in quest of your larger goal (Burn The Witch!), does not mean that clearer-thinking individuals are making up their candidate preferences.

Old 21st May 2016, 09:10 PM   #98
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

It is fascinating watching the Democrats. If the Superdelegate fix wasn't already in for Hillary before the campaigns even started, she would have had to offer a lot more freebies to compete with Bernie. The fact that all of these freebies the Dems are offering are going to have to be paid for with borrowed money should be troubling to all Democrats, but I doubt if it will be. We can't afford to pay the projected costs of Medicare, Social Security, and the rest of existing Federal programs right now, which means, of course, we can't afford any new programs.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2016, 09:14 PM   #99
The Big Dog

As on many topics, your speculation is wrong. It is possible to defend someone from fevered attacks without actually supporting them. Just because you pretended to be a Bernie supporter in quest of your larger goal (Burn The Witch!), does not mean that clearer-thinking individuals are making up their candidate preferences.
did you randomly pick that post out of the huge bag of non sequitors?

I gave a specific example in my post of conduct that was not "defending" Hillary.
Old 21st May 2016, 09:24 PM   #100
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
It is fascinating watching the Democrats. If the Superdelegate fix wasn't already in for Hillary before the campaigns even started, she would have had to offer a lot more freebies to compete with Bernie. The fact that all of these freebies the Dems are offering are going to have to be paid for with borrowed money should be troubling to all Democrats, but I doubt if it will be. We can't afford to pay the projected costs of Medicare, Social Security, and the rest of existing Federal programs right now, which means, of course, we can't afford any new programs.
Show your figures. The freebies of the GOP amount to corporate welfare.

"Hey, let's defang the EPA! Meddlers! And then when we have to clean things up, we can get the stupid 47% to pay."

Subsidies for milk, sugar, soy, corn? You think that money goes to little truck farmers? It goes to mega-corporations.

Tax cuts for the rich? Reagan's famous trickle down. How'd that work?

No acting on minimum wage? Sure, we have to protect Walmart's and the American Association of Retailers' profit margins so they can pay out a billion per quarter in dividends (McD Q1 '16). And when those people have to get Section 8 housing (NYC), and food stamps and free lunch programs for their kids because they're below the federal poverty guidelines? Do the corporations pay? No, the taxpayers do.

This populist nonsense about protecting the little man is a scam being run by the GOP to get votes.

Old 21st May 2016, 09:42 PM   #101
fuelair
Banned

Show your figures. The freebies of the GOP amount to corporate welfare.

"Hey, let's defang the EPA! Meddlers! And then when we have to clean things up, we can get the stupid 47% to pay."

Subsidies for milk, sugar, soy, corn? You think that money goes to little truck farmers? It goes to mega-corporations.

Tax cuts for the rich? Reagan's famous trickle down. How'd that work?

No acting on minimum wage? Sure, we have to protect Walmart's and the American Association of Retailers' profit margins so they can pay out a billion per quarter in dividends (McD Q1 '16). And when those people have to get Section 8 housing (NYC), and food stamps and free lunch programs for their kids because they're below the federal poverty guidelines? Do the corporations pay? No, the taxpayers do.

This populist nonsense about protecting the little man is a scam being run by the GOP to get votes.
And some fools they rob that way vote for them - way too many fools............
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:31 AM   #102
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

People that vote against their own best interest are disturbingly common. If everyone voted in their own interest, republican party would not exist, since you can't really have big, influential political party with only 1% richest votes.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:47 AM   #103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Oh for pity's sake: "freebies the Dems are offering"?

Were you among those right wingers holding up misspelled signs saying "government: hands off my medicare" when Obama was running against Romney?
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:00 AM   #104
deaman
Penultimate Amazing

This election is draining me. But it isn't the Trump nonsense as I generally don't know anyone that subjects me to his brain droppings. It is the ongoing petulant slap fight on the Democratic side. It has made facebook such an exhausting ordeal that I've opted to just skip it most days rather start unfriending people in large numbers.

And what really gets me is that it is people on my side that are really annoying me the most. The Bernie zealots have just pushed me to the edge of a breakdown. Their constant appeal to conspiracy theories and immediate proclamations of "SHILL!" whenever someone points this out or in any way criticizes Bernie makes me really wonder just how different they are from the Truthers we all used to love mocking.

Even here in this forum I've had people accuse me of lying about being a Bernie supporter because I don't venerate his every utterance. It is possible to not agree with everything a candidate stands for and still like them. It is also possible to still hold great respect for their opponent. Shocking, I know.

The nonsense at the NV convention was illuminating. How hypocritical is it to get angry when your attempts to bypass the rules doesn't work and then to complain the system is corrupt? I'd say very. I've long had my suspicion that much of the bad part of the Bernie support comes from his followers being new to the way politics works. That they are naive and shocked to find out politics isn't just giving everything to the angry mob. That there are rules, a system, to make sure that it isn't just a populist whim and that, in the long run, this is a good thing.

Someone made an effort to track down some of the agitators that made threats against Roberta Lange and I found the results unsurprising. Young people who just don't get that the braying mob doesn't always get its way when it screams REAL LOUD.

I know lots of great Bernie supporters. And I note they tend to be a bit older and more inured in the way things work. They are people like my veterinarian and some school teachers. They like him but he ain't no Messiah because, seriously, he isn't. He ain't even that different from the "evil one" Hillary.

And lets get on that. Is she unlikable? Polls say so. But why? I've come to the conclusion that people think she's unlikable because others keep saying she is unlikable. It's a self fulfilling prophesy of sorts. Most of my recent social media arguments have come via constant shares from #DropOutHillary which exists because she has gotten the most votes and is therefore on track to be the nominee which angers many in the Bernie crowd who apparently think he should win even though he didn't because "reasons".

Gee, isn't thinking you should get your way even when you didn't win sort of like the system perversion that you rail against? Can they be so unaware?

Why not be gracious losers? There's dignity in that. It's what I planned on being. I threw my support behind someone that the talking heads on TV said had no chance because the Progressive Left was nothing more than a statistically insignificant fringe movement and watched him make a really good race out of it. Bernie doing so well has proven the talking heads wrong. That is a huge win right there! A win that could be capitalized on and made into something more permanent in the future. Use that momentum and get more like minded politicians into congress! Use the system don't just stand outside and hurl insults at it thinking that will let you get your way.

Oh, but I know even making such suggestions makes me a "shill" undoubtedly working for the same "corporate fascists that imploded the WTC" or something.
Suggestion: For your own peace of mind, you may want to learn to develop a thicker skin.

Take what you think is the right action, and don't worry about what others say, do or think, so much.
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:45 PM   #105
Travis

It is cool tho.
It would seem that the point of both threads went over your head.

Old 22nd May 2016, 01:54 PM   #106
Fudbucker
Philosopher

One of the things you should do is realize when you should defend Clinton and when you should say, "Yeah, I wish she hadn't done that". For example, lying to make herself look better, which she does, is probably not something you should be defending. That goes in the "I hate when she does that, but Trump..." category.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:35 AM   #107
Travis

No, I will only say that if she does something I think is actually worth it. So far nothing, and I mean nothing, has risen to that level with me.

Old 23rd May 2016, 07:21 AM   #108
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

No, I will only say that if she does something I think is actually worth it. So far nothing, and I mean nothing, has risen to that level with me.
Setting up a private email server and conducting 100% of her work as Sec of State through it, all for the purpose of evading FOIA disclosure, doesn't rise to that level, huh? I'd be interested in an example of something that would rise to that level with you. Consider carefully, though. You might end up finding out that she has already done it.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:18 AM   #109
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Setting up a private email server and conducting 100% of her work as Sec of State through it, all for the purpose of evading FOIA disclosure...
This is a combination of mind reading and making **** up.

Maybe this isn't the forum for you?
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:23 AM   #110
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
This is a combination of mind reading and making **** up.

Maybe this isn't the forum for you?
Irony!
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:42 AM   #111
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

via FakeTrumpTweet.com generator
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:44 AM   #112
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Setting up a private email server and conducting 100% of her work as Sec of State through it, all for the purpose of evading FOIA disclosure, doesn't rise to that level, huh? I'd be interested in an example of something that would rise to that level with you. Consider carefully, though. You might end up finding out that she has already done it.
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:47 AM   #113
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
Needs an exclamation mark, worse spelling and more self adulation.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:48 AM   #114
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Irony!
Some people don't really understand what critical reasoning skills are for, or how to use them. Kind of like how this pig doesn't really "get" a cell phone camera:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:49 AM   #115
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Needs an exclamation mark, worse spelling and more self adulation.
Also, a point would help.
Old 23rd May 2016, 08:55 AM   #116
fuelair
Banned

The deranged thing started with republickers who found trouble with "evil" people saying bad (though very true) things about their beloved fool/tool/evil **** George Bush, the lesser. They called it Bush Derangement Syndrome.

That was back in the mid 2000's.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:00 AM   #117
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's wearing on me listening to Sanders insist he's the better candidate when he lost the primary.
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:10 AM   #118
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

It's wearing on me listening to Sanders insist he's the better candidate when he lost the primary.
He's only losing the race because Hillary had an enormous head start. It has nothing to do with their relative speeds. She may yet lose actually. Hillary reminds me of the yellow team, but we're about halfway through the final leg:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:34 AM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He's only losing the race because Hillary had an enormous head start. It has nothing to do with their relative speeds. She may yet lose actually. Hillary reminds me of the yellow team, but we're about halfway through the final leg:

I AGREE
And just how did this "head start" change the popular vote? Do you really think voters looked at the superdelegate support to decide who to vote for?

Was this head start maybe because she's had more national experience ergo more recognition as a viable candidate?

Halfway through the final leg? Seriously?

Why post this nonsense? All but Sanders most ardent minions know it's BS.
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:40 AM   #120
wareyin
Philosopher

And just how did this "head start" change the popular vote? Do you really think voters looked at the superdelegate support to decide who to vote for?

Was this head start maybe because she's had more national experience ergo more recognition as a viable candidate?

Halfway through the final leg? Seriously?

Why post this nonsense? All but Sanders most ardent minions know it's BS.
Sometimes, conservatives want to throw out some BS to rile up the most ardent Sanders supporters. This keeps the Dems at least a little less focused on beating Trump.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics