IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , election conspiracies , election issues , hacking incidents , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 15th December 2016, 06:16 AM   #1
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Putin Personally Involved in Hack

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...n-hack-n696146

Quote:
U.S. intelligence officials now believe with "a high level of confidence" that Russian President Vladimir Putin became personally involved in the covert Russian campaign to interfere in the U.S. presidential election, senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

Two senior officials with direct access to the information say new intelligence shows that Putin personally directed how hacked material from Democrats was leaked and otherwise used. The intelligence came from diplomatic sources and spies working for U.S. allies, the officials said.

Putin's objectives were multifaceted, a high-level intelligence source told NBC News. What began as a "vendetta" against Hillary Clinton morphed into an effort to show corruption in American politics and to "split off key American allies by creating the image that [other countries] couldn't depend on the U.S. to be a credible global leader anymore," the official said.
Because Putin really dislikes Clinton and he also figures anything that's bad for NATO is good for him.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

"Author" Ken Dilanian is another CIA spook. They are really pressing this junk.
Old 15th December 2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Old but trusty hardware.

Old 15th December 2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
"Author" Ken Dilanian is another CIA spook. They are really pressing this junk.
Seems off topic, but you have to go with something, right?

Nice pic. Where do you get something like that on short notice?

Last edited by Mycroft; 15th December 2016 at 06:32 AM.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Mumbles
Philosopher

Given what we've known for months...no shockers here.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:37 AM   #6
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

And for those who like the soothing sound of NPR's Morning Edition:

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/15/505658...c-news-reports
Old 15th December 2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
No shockers, but a progression. As the story unfolds we started with Russians, to Russians directed by their government to the Kremlin and now to Putin himself.
Old 15th December 2016, 06:41 AM   #8
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Indeed. I started a thread on it in October.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:43 AM   #9
David RP
Scholar

So not the Gucci taxi driver after all
David RP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:47 AM   #10
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Seems off topic, but you have to go with something, right?

Nice pic. Where do you get something like that on short notice?
Excepting present company of course, I imagine that a dedicated Russia apologist might have images like that readily on hand.

Last edited by varwoche; 15th December 2016 at 07:09 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 06:58 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I would expect that. Otherwise it would be a pretty bad rogue intelligence operation and I figured Putin is competent enough to avoid that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 07:07 AM   #12
Belz...
Fiend God

Old but trusty hardware.

http://i.imgur.com/4KhsHpt.jpg
Do you have another button on that keyboard that says "never Russia"?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 07:09 AM   #13
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Excepting present company of course, I imagine that a dedicated Russian apologist might have images like that readily on hand.

Found another good one for my collection earlier today. Here, maybe it can be of use for some of you folks.

Old 15th December 2016, 08:15 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
No shockers, but a progression. As the story unfolds we started with Russians, to Russians directed by their government to the Kremlin and now to Putin himself.
We've known for years that Putin is personally involved in every significant endeavor of the Russian people. Deepwater exploration, tiger conservation, topless horseback riding... He does it all.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 10:10 AM   #15
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We've known for years that Putin is personally involved in every significant endeavor of the Russian people. Deepwater exploration, tiger conservation, topless horseback riding... He does it all.
I love the denial.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 10:13 AM   #16
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Has anybody considered that "if" Putin was responsible for meddling in US elections he is justified in doing so?
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 10:15 AM   #17
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Has anybody considered that "if" Putin was responsible for meddling in US elections he is justified in doing so?
Justified how?
Old 15th December 2016, 10:27 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I love the denial.
No denial. I assumed all along that Putin would be personally involved in such operations.

I just also happen to really enjoy the Glorious Putin Does Everything meme.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 10:35 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Of course. But it probably depends on what you mean, exactly.

I think espionage and propaganda are legitimate tools of statecraft, and that nations are entitled to use them to the best of their ability, whenever they believe it suits their purpose. In that sense, yes, Putin is absolutely justified.

On the other hand, it's debatable whether a specific instance of using these tools makes strategic sense, whether it offers reasonable tradeoffs, and whether it contradicts other agreements or expectations. In that sense, Putin's justification is debateable.
Old 15th December 2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Found another good one for my collection earlier today. Here, maybe it can be of use for some of you folks.

That's awesome! Like it was produced by an advertisement agency. I bet you have tons of them to choose from, amiright?
Old 15th December 2016, 10:57 AM   #21
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I'm looking forward to seeing your reasoning on this.
Old 15th December 2016, 11:15 AM   #22
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Justified how?
A couple different ways.

Are you equally outraged that the US has and will continue to meddle in other countries internal affairs; including elections? Modern examples of American colonialism are easy to find. Based on this precedent set by the USA I wouldn't expect a foreign country to reciprocate in any other way.

Putin has an obligation to serve his constituents in their best interest. If Putin believes that a Trump presidency would provide for a better outcome for this constituents then he has a vested interest in Trump being elected, and should respond appropriately.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 11:18 AM   #23
applecorped
Banned

I love the denial.
That is apparent.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 11:38 AM   #24
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Of course. But it probably depends on what you mean, exactly.

I think espionage and propaganda are legitimate tools of statecraft, and that nations are entitled to use them to the best of their ability, whenever they believe it suits their purpose. In that sense, yes, Putin is absolutely justified.

On the other hand, it's debatable whether a specific instance of using these tools makes strategic sense, whether it offers reasonable tradeoffs, and whether it contradicts other agreements or expectations. In that sense, Putin's justification is debateable.
Some of the alleged tactics attributed to Putin were propaganda (Fake news for example) while other tactics were less sinister.
Old 15th December 2016, 11:38 AM   #25
shuize
Master Poster

I just want to know who I should thank for post-election record high stock market, Trump or Putin?

Last edited by shuize; 15th December 2016 at 11:45 AM.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 11:47 AM   #26
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
I just want to know who I should thank for post-election record high stock market, Trump or Putin?
As long as you remember your choice when the market crashes and you have to pay for superfund cleanup of contaminated sites caused by deregulation, either one.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 12:06 PM   #27
shuize
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
As long as you remember your choice when the market crashes and you have to pay for superfund cleanup of contaminated sites caused by deregulation, either one.

Yes, I've already taken some nice profits so far. That's why I was asking. But thank you for your concern.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 12:10 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And the snowball picks up speed:

Behind the deep ties between Exxon's Rex Tillerson and Russia
Quote:
The 64-year-old Tillerson, a lifetime Exxon employee, came up through the ranks by managing the company's Russia account.

In fact, his close relationship with Russia is one of the major reasons Tillerson was selected to succeed Lee Raymond as CEO of Exxon (XOM) in 2006, according to Steve Coll's book "Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power."

Once he became CEO, Exxon bet billions on Russia's vast but notoriously-elusive oil resources through a bold partnership with Russian oil giant Rosneft. Putin himself attended the 2011 signing ceremony for the deal with Rosneft, which is majority owned by Moscow.
VOX: Rex Tillerson’s potentially huge conflict of interest over Russia and oil, explained
Quote:
On Tuesday, Donald Trump tapped ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson to be his secretary of state. And one eyebrow-raising aspect of this pick is that Exxon has billions of dollars at stake in one of the biggest foreign policy decisions Trump will consider over the next few years — whether to maintain sanctions on Russia.

Exxon, the world’s largest oil company, has long had its eye on Russia’s vast oil and gas deposits. Between 2011 and 2013, Exxon signed a series of deals with the Russian state-owned oil giant Rosneft to explore the Black Sea, develop shale resources in western Siberia, and — most importantly — drill for oil in the Arctic, one of the biggest untapped fossil fuel resources left in the world.

For Exxon, which famously missed out on the massive US fracking boom, these deals were crucial for the company’s future. “Arctic oil in particular would’ve been a game changer for Exxon,” says Fadel Gheit, an oil analyst at Oppenheimer & Co. It was supposed to be a decades-long investment worth many billions.

But Exxon’s activities ground to a halt in 2014, after the Obama administration slapped sanctions on Russia’s oil industry over Russian incursions into Ukraine. Despite having just made a landmark oil discovery in the Kara Sea, Exxon was forced to stop work, and Arctic exploration faded....

But everything hit a snag in 2014 after Russian forces moved into Ukraine and annexed Crimea. In response, the Obama administration put in place US sanctions on Russia’s oil and gas industry that forbid technology transfers and told Exxon it was to halt all offshore drilling work with Rosneft by the end of September.

The timing was brutal for Exxon: The company was in the process of successfully drilling its first well in Block 1 of the Kara Sea — a discovery worth an estimated 750 million barrels of oil. Igor Sechin, the CEO of Rosneft and a close Putin ally, had christened the field “Pobeda,” or Victory....
Putin recently took over his country's oil companies in some sort of kleptocracy/corporatocracy.

This guy was thrown under the bus, maybe they wanted to get out of paying the bribe:
Russia's economy minister arrested for allegedly taking $2m bribe to approve government oil takeover
Quote:
Russia’s economy minister has been charged with extorting a $2m (£1.6m) bribe to approve a state oil takeover, making him the highest-ranking official to face prosecution since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Alexei Ulyukayev’s arrest has been championed by pro-Kremlin politicians and state television as a victory in the fight against corruption, but the case threatens to expose vulnerabilities in Vladimir Putin's inner circle.

Mr Ulyukayev's ministry had been overseeing a sale of state assets when investigators said he took a bribe on 14 November for approving a $5bn (£4bn) bid by Rosneft, Russia's biggest oil company, to purchase a majority stake in oil producer Bashneft.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 12:14 PM   #29
plague311
Great minds think...

I love how people have no issues *********** over the populace as long as they line their own pockets. No *********** wonder they voted for Trump. Another man that will **** on anyone and anything as long as it puts money in his pockets. He's made it clear that he'll whore out the U.S. as long as Trump industries makes money.

Classy.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 12:20 PM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I love how people have no issues *********** over the populace as long as they line their own pockets. No *********** wonder they voted for Trump. Another man that will **** on anyone and anything as long as it puts money in his pockets. He's made it clear that he'll whore out the U.S. as long as Trump industries makes money.

Classy.
Anger?
Old 15th December 2016, 12:22 PM   #31
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Anger?
More accurately phrased as misplaced anger.
Old 15th December 2016, 12:26 PM   #32
NoahFence
Banned

Obama's still in office, yes?
Old 15th December 2016, 01:03 PM   #33
shuize
Master Poster

Anger?

I believe that's the second stage of grief.
Old 15th December 2016, 01:07 PM   #34
shuize
Master Poster

Obama's still in office, yes?

Obama is responsible for Putin hacking the election to get Trump elected and drive up the stock market?

In that case, thanks Obama!
Old 15th December 2016, 01:15 PM   #35
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I just also happen to really enjoy the Glorious Putin Does Everything meme.

A classic:

Old 15th December 2016, 01:32 PM   #36
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So... do the 80's still want their foreign policy back?

Asking for a friend.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 01:54 PM   #37
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Asking for a friend.
Yeah, in the 80s we were super-concerned about Russian hacking. It all makes perfect sense now when Romney complained that we don't have as many ships and planes, not to mention cavalry and bayonets, as the good ol' days.
Old 15th December 2016, 01:57 PM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Yeah, in the 80s we were super-concerned about Russian hacking. It all makes perfect sense now when Romney complained that we don't have as many ships and planes, not to mention cavalry and bayonets, as the good ol' days.
Yeah, that wasn't Obama's objection to Romney's position. Nice try, though. B for effort.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2016, 01:58 PM   #39
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
They might, but if they do, they should take their Russia back, too. I'm guessing Russia might have done a thing or two since the 2012 US election that might warrant re-assessing Russia's level of threat.

What does your friend think?
Old 15th December 2016, 02:03 PM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Anger?
Truth.

I believe that's the second stage of grief.
You know that off-topic psychoanalysis is getting old, right? How about you contribute to the discussion, instead?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics