IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues , school incidents

Old 11th October 2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Pointing a finger gun lands 12-year-old Johnson County student in handcuffs

This is a perfect example of how not to increase support for Gun Control.

Quote:
A 12-year-old Overland Park girl formed a gun with her fingers, pointed at four of her Westridge Middle School classmates one at a time, and then turned the pretend weapon toward herself.

Police hauled her out of school in handcuffs, arrested her and charged the child with a felony for threatening.

Shawnee Mission school officials said they could not discuss the case, citing privacy laws, but did say it wasn’t the district that arrested the child.
“We don’t do that,” said spokesman David Smith. “That is not our job.” He said the role of the district police is “not to enforce the law but to keep kids and adults safe.”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...235891762.html

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 05:29 PM   #2
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Oh. That just makes me tired. Really, it's come to this?
Old 11th October 2019, 06:22 PM   #3
cullennz
Suspended

Kind of inevitable really given the situation.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 06:25 PM   #4
deadrose
Illuminator

Zero tolerance, zero sense. It's been that way for a while.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 06:40 PM   #5
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Oh for **** sake. Do nothing about real guns, but arrest a kid doing something I’ll bet every kid in the world has done.

Some will enter this thread and defend the arrest, which is even more troubling.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 06:43 PM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Kind of inevitable really given the situation.
Inevitable? For pointing fingers?

You simply can’t be serious. Police have discretion, even if this childish act can, in some crazy universe, be described as “threatening”.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 07:44 PM   #7
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

You simply can’t be serious. Police have discretion, even if this childish act can, in some crazy universe, be described as “threatening”.

If you have stupidly large amounts of school shootings and no proper controls on gun availability, people will go one of 2 ways.

They will go external and stop any guns getting in with every effort imaginable, like actual entrance screenings

Or they will go loopy and go internal and end up over reacting to anything remotely gun like in the the school.

Both just get upped as there are more and paranoia sets in.

So you either end up with metal detectors and bullying school police, or doing stupid things when kids play gun fight (which is normal)
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 07:53 PM   #8
cullennz
Suspended

Actually I forgot the 3rd

They arm all the staff and more kids end up dying from panicky idiot teachers who shouldn't be trusted with a pen, let alone a gun.

This has been talked about, but thankfully hasn't been taken up.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:59 PM   #9
EHocking
Philosopher

In the context (that we know of at the moment) the teacher is totally responsible for this escalating.

The child didn’t, out of the blue, walk up to her classmates and point her finger.
According to the account in the OP link, the children were involved in a classroom discussion. We’re not told about what.
But we are told that she was asked, during a supervised classroom discussion, “who would you shoot?”

Mitigating circumstances as to “intent” as far as I’m concerned.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 08:24 PM   #10
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

And if the the little scamp actually did go on to waste her classmates, everyone would be screaming about not seeing the signs.

Offended and threatened. Welcome to The USA.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 08:44 PM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
And if the the little scamp actually did go on to waste her classmates, everyone would be screaming about not seeing the signs.

As I said earlier, which kid hasn't pointed a gun finger at another kid? Should they all be arrested?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11th October 2019, 09:50 PM   #12
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Should they all be arrested?
Of course not.

No more than I'd expect a 12 year old to be arrested for calling a classmate a pussy, even though this seems to be the direction we're headed in.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.

Last edited by TJM; 11th October 2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: directionally challenged.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:02 PM   #13
Ulf Nereng
Muse

When I was a kid we would dress up with cowboy hats and shoot each other with toy guns. Is that still allowed?
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 10:32 PM   #14
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
When I was a kid we would dress up with cowboy hats and shoot each other with toy guns. Is that still allowed?
Would think in some schools in the US given this, a piece of wood imaginatively turned into a gun would be separation from parents
Old 11th October 2019, 11:34 PM   #15
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Would think in some schools in the US given this, a piece of wood imaginatively turned into a gun would be separation from parents
Serves the little **** Millennials right!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 11:47 PM   #16
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Evidence for this rubbish?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 11th October 2019, 11:54 PM   #17
cullennz
Suspended

This thread
Old 11th October 2019, 11:55 PM   #18
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This thread
One example in a country of 300 million is evidence of nothing. And this example wasn’t about wood shaped into a gun.

But keep on posting without thinking.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12th October 2019, 12:45 AM   #19
cullennz
Suspended

One example in a country of 300 million is evidence of nothing. And this example wasn’t about wood shaped into a gun.

But keep on posting without thinking.
The only thing I see is over reaction to what is not a problem.

But keep telling your self the teachers aren't reacting as I described
Old 12th October 2019, 12:47 AM   #20
cullennz
Suspended

And btw

In the same article there is another
Old 12th October 2019, 05:04 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The only thing I see is over reaction to what is not a problem.

But keep telling your self the teachers aren't reacting as I described
Teachers can't arrest people.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:09 AM   #22
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They can if they're Police Academy teachers!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 07:18 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They can if they're Police Academy teachers!
Was thinking a bit more about this and I think the teachers are rather overreacting by calling the police in for what should be a school disciplinary matter. The teacher should have drawn their "teacher's pet" and just shot kid behaving in this way. Saves the police the time and expense.
Old 12th October 2019, 07:47 AM   #24
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Serves the little **** Millennials right!
There are no high school age Millenials.

*the more you know*
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:01 AM   #25
autumn1971
Illuminator

The school is legally not allowed to give information that might explain the seemingly crazy reaction. We don’t know if this student has a history of threatening violence or inflicting it.

On its face this a gross overreaction.
Unless charges are pressed and a trial happens we will never know.

I’m at about 75% that it is a typically cowardly reaction to imagined fears.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 10:11 AM   #26
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
There are no high school age Millenials.

*the more you know*

I was talking about the little goodie-2-shoes teachers that ratted her out. Boom!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 10:14 AM   #27
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The school is legally not allowed to give information that might explain the seemingly crazy reaction. We don’t know if this student has a history of threatening violence or inflicting it.

On its face this a gross overreaction.
Unless charges are pressed and a trial happens we will never know.

I’m at about 75% that it is a typically cowardly reaction to imagined fears.

She better stop mouthing off.

Quote:
He said his granddaughter has no access to a real gun and she had no intent of harming anyone. “She was just mouthing off,” he said.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
Old 12th October 2019, 12:31 PM   #28
Cain
Straussian

Parents are getting a little over-protective. When I was half her age, I had an imaginary machine gun.
Old 12th October 2019, 12:49 PM   #29
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Parents are getting a little over-protective. When I was half her age, I had an imaginary machine gun.
When we were a couple of years older than her we were having play fights with bits of pencil in actual slug guns.

Times change I guess.
Old 12th October 2019, 12:54 PM   #30
Ron Obvious
Critical Thinker

When we were a couple of years older than her we were having play fights with bits of pencil in actual slug guns.

Times change I guess.
When I was little, we used to fence with my mother's knitting needles, occasionally drawing blood when carving the letter 'Z' on our opponent's chest, Zorro-style.

We'd probably go to reform school for that these days. I don't envy today's kids their bubble-wrapped and over-supervised childhoods.
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 12:54 PM   #31
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post

Having the cops haul a 12 year old away from the school in cuffs is a totally proportional response to them threatening others, even if it was in jest.

Besides, I continue to be astonished by how liberally American police use hand-cuffs and arrest/detain people for no good reason. It's like there's a rule that if someone is suspected of having committed a crime they have to be arrested, even if was just shoplifting a can coca-cola.

It's reslly no wonder so many people want to kill the cops.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 12th October 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 01:03 PM   #32
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Having the cops haul a 12 year old away from the school in cuffs is a totally proportional response to them threatening others, even if it was in jest.

Besides, I continue to be astonished by how liberally American police use hand-cuffs and arrest/detain people for no good reason. It's like there's a rule that if someone is suspected of having committed a crime they have to be arrested, even if was just shoplifting a can coca-cola.

It's reslly no wonder so many people want to kill the cops.
Old 12th October 2019, 01:05 PM   #33
cullennz
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
When I was little, we used to fence with my mother's knitting needles, occasionally drawing blood when carving the letter 'Z' on our opponent's chest, Zorro-style.

We'd probably go to reform school for that these days. I don't envy today's kids their bubble-wrapped and over-supervised childhoods.
Lol

Wish we had thought of that
Old 12th October 2019, 01:19 PM   #34
cullennz
Suspended

Old 12th October 2019, 01:57 PM   #35
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I got a kid in trouble when he mimed shooting me and I think it was totally appropriate. I told the principal, she called the kid in and I think Mom was involved. She was a really nice person.

He was 8. Smart and very self-possessed for his age. Also I had reason to suspect he had antisocial tendencies, but I don't remember why I thought so. He or his mom may have told me he'd been kicked out of another school. The incident generated a record that he had been warned.

It didn't occur to anyone to call the cops.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 02:16 PM   #36
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

If the cops were called over a similar incident in Australia I’m certain they would have had a quiet word with the child and a parent and a much louder word with the teacher and principal for wasting police time. There would certainly be no arrest.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #37
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Times change I guess.
Pffff! We used to fight with axes!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 04:36 PM   #38
angrysoba
Philosophile

Luxury! In my day we had full scale tan battles in the classroom and Little Timmy got blown to bits on anti-personnel mine. There were no namby pamby calls to the police. It was character-building!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 04:44 PM   #39
EHocking
Philosopher

Youre lucky, I was never axed to join in.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 08:12 PM   #40
mgidm86
Philosopher

How fun it must be being a child in America these days. No bikes. No outside. Can't go anywhere without supervision. No football/hockey in the road ("CAR!!!"). Playdates! Can't play "army" and shoot each other. People don't get drivers licenses til they're 25, and they never move out.

I think I'm glad I'm getting old.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events