IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags diebold , election conspiracies , voting issues , voting machines

Old 21st November 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Smile Rigged ***2008*** Elections

We may argue about the term rigged - but I think you get
my point without doing so ... So what do people in here think
about the next elections?

Will they be rigged again since Diebold and Friends are still
running the party?

I know that officials assure that everything will be fine in
the next elections - *lol* - just like they said in 2000 and
2004. But seriously: Did something change besides Diebold's
Voting machine names?

Or do we get another good laughter:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
gtc
Philosopher

The 2008 elections will be just as rigged as the 2004 and 2000 elections.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Giggywig
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
We may argue about the term rigged - but I think you get
my point without doing so ... So what do people in here think
about the next elections?

Will they be rigged again since Diebold and Friends are still
running the party?

I know that officials assure that everything will be fine in
the next elections - *lol* - just like they said in 2000 and
2004. But seriously: Did something change besides Diebold's
Voting machine names?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
So... how do they get all the Diebold techs to go along with this nefarious scheme? Do they pay them all off?
Giggywig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 05:52 PM   #4
marksman
Reality Checker

Too busy to educate yourself about the Constitution by reading the link I gave you but not so busy to post conspiracy paranoia on the forum, eh?
marksman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That depends - will you keep posting?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Giggywig
Master Poster

Hey, is this a preemptive "Ron Paul didn't lose because he lacks grassroots support but because they stole the election" excuse?
Giggywig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 09:16 PM   #7
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
sounds like it.
(I should note Palast would makea case for this if he.. provided sources.)
Old 21st November 2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gtc View Post

Why? Is there nobody who checks the machines?

Originally Posted by Giggywig View Post
So... how do they get all the Diebold techs to go along with this nefarious scheme? Do they pay them all off?

Huh? A simple string within the code and the fraud is perfect.
So what Diebold techs are you referring to besides the programmer?

Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Too busy to educate yourself about the Constitution by reading the link I gave you but not so busy to post conspiracy paranoia on the forum, eh?

It's no conspiracy theory:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That depends - will you keep posting?

I try but I'm pretty busy with other things...

Originally Posted by Giggywig View Post
Hey, is this a preemptive "Ron Paul didn't lose because he lacks grassroots support but because they stole the election" excuse?

Well, if Ron doesn't win I blame the Media and the Giuliani-Fans
in here. But the Game is not over yet...

Last edited by Oliver; 21st November 2007 at 09:25 PM.
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 09:32 PM   #9
Giggywig
Master Poster

Really? Do you have evidence that "simple string" is in the code?
Programmers. Plus the people all around the country that actually fix the machines if they break.
Well, if Ron doesn't win I blame the Media and the Giuliani-Fans in here. But the Game is not over yet...
No chance he could lose because he's not the best candidate?
Old 21st November 2007, 09:35 PM   #10
webfusion
Philosopher

Would it be fair to say that more people in the USA vote with their text-message cellphones for the TV contestants on "Dancing With The Stars" than actually bother to make their way to the polling places on Election Day?
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 09:44 PM   #11
fuelair
Banned

You should seperate the two since you are pretty likely trying to imply no rigging in 2000. Plenty of evidence for 2000 (I saw the police activity in my area as noted in many parts of Florida which I cannot directly vouch for).
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 10:07 PM   #12
zenotter
Garlic Shampoo Wholesaler

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
Would it be fair to say that more people in the USA vote with their text-message cellphones for the TV contestants on "Dancing With The Stars" than actually bother to make their way to the polling places on Election Day?
Wow, running an election by text only would be SUPERB!
zenotter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 10:11 PM   #13
webfusion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zenotter View Post
Wow, running an election by text only would be SUPERB!

Not only would it be superb, but the charge for each call would just be $1.49 (plus standard text-messaging rates from your cell-provider) and you would be limited to only voting a maximum of four times.

Last edited by webfusion; 21st November 2007 at 10:11 PM.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2007, 10:22 PM   #14
zenotter
Garlic Shampoo Wholesaler

It'd be traceable anyway... until the phone corporations get bought out... ai yah.

'Scuse me, didn't mean to sound so realist there, but I do love the thought of texting my vote! "Must be 18 and registered to play" would be the only nuisance.
zenotter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 03:29 AM   #15
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

I try but I'm pretty busy with other things...
Right, so, maybe you can clear up our wonder at what you are actually doing to help Ron Paul win. I'd be in admiration of you if you flew over to the states to campaign for him, but I don't think you are doing that, so... what are you doing?

Quote:
Giuliani fans in here
I hope Rudy (Or Obama) wins Oliver, does that make me a bad person? If so, why?
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:05 AM   #16
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
Right, so, maybe you can clear up our wonder at what you are actually doing to help Ron Paul win. I'd be in admiration of you if you flew over to the states to campaign for him, but I don't think you are doing that, so... what are you doing?

I hope Rudy (Or Obama) wins Oliver, does that make me a bad person? If so, why?

I can't answer your questions - because they wouldn't
have anything to do with conspiracy theories...
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:26 AM   #17
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

The machines are only a part of the problem. But that is a big one. There is no way to verify the results recorded on them. and they are not invulnerable to hacking by unscrupulous elections workers. Howard Dean has demonstrated that.

Real votes are on paper ballots and can be recounted by hand.

Canada seems never to have a problem. Why should we?

Beyond the unreliabilty of the machines, there is the conflict of interest in several states. What happened in Ohio is criminal, to my thinking. What on earth was a member of Bush's election campaign organization doing running elections?

There is no way to prove that the elections in Ohio were conducted in an ethical manner. Blackwell deliberately knocked people off the rolls with arbitrary directives that would make Catbert of the Dilbert comic strip green with envy.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:28 AM   #18
peteweaver
Graduate Poster

Hilary will be the next President anyway, the republicans have had two terms, and now its time for the Democrats... Hilary is respected abroad, and at the moment the USA has an image problem abroad.
peteweaver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:30 AM   #19
Furi
Felix Sapiens

Talking the Gubmint still gets in

and just like those elections, the president will be a assclown despised by the many, The most vocal internet campaingers calling foul that their personal corrupt power mad bafoon didn't get in, possibly starting brand new CTs about how he was got at, bribed with wheat, rigged elections, fluoride powered mind control devices converted voting habits,

and also the winning supporters will also be throwing teddy out of the pram because the winner turned out to have lied to win an election , and isn't going to *delete as applicable from below,

Legalise pot/tougher crimes for posession
outlaw ID and non secular teachings, promote state funded faith schooling
pro choice/life
Antagonise the middle east situation/Antagonise the middle east situation.
choke on a pretzel/hump the temp
Alienate the Grass Root Support/Alienate the Grass Root Support
tighten restrictions on freedom/tighten restrictions on freedom
loosen some previous freedom tighteners as a concession to the new ones being introduced/... your getting the idea now.

why not vote for an independant that needs encourageing support, they prob won't get in, but you can always say indignantly in 2 years time "Well I didn't vote for <powermadhamtoucher>"

US Election time is great, I just put the most antagonistic candidates campain slogan and gif in my sig, got to a political forum and make harmless replies whilst sitting on the fence, and letting the Rabid dogs tear themselves limb from limb, as neither side can agree on whether I am friend or foe, So lets shoot him and apologise later (bit like the US armed force policy :P)

=^..^=

Last edited by Furi; 22nd November 2007 at 04:32 AM. Reason: boolean error
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:04 AM   #20
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Oliver
Quote:
I don't know the mechanics involved in a voting machine but I did run quality control for a software company and I think you would be amazed at the amount of testing that is done on software.

What "simple string" do you think can be added to the code without there being a good chance of it being discovered?

I am not claiming it would be impossible. But i would find it hard to believe it is as easy as adding a "simple string".

Last edited by eeyore1954; 22nd November 2007 at 05:06 AM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:08 AM   #21
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

If Reps win, there will be the large usual cries of "Rigged". If DEMs win, everything will return to some degree of sanity.

I personally would like Obama to win, as it stops the Clinton/Bush Domination, and I think he has the most vision, but I think in regards to the DEM nominee, the fix is in, and it will be Bill's wife.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 05:24 AM   #22
brettDbass
Kurious

Originally Posted by peteweaver View Post
Hilary will be the next President anyway, the republicans have had two terms, and now its time for the Democrats... Hilary is respected abroad, and at the moment the USA has an image problem abroad.
You'll find that the US's image problem is not just a modern phenomenon.

Bush leaving is obligatory for you, so whoever wins it will appear to be an improvement to the rest of the world, at least for a few months.

New Signature - old content.
brettDbass is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 07:58 AM   #23
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

amazing how many non-citizens feel the need to pipe up on the US elections...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:20 AM   #24
Alt+F4
diabolical globalist

What happened in 2000 had nothing to do with faulty voting machines, it was faulty paper ballots. Oliver should stop watching "Man of the Year" over and over again. I think Ron Paul should move to Germany and run against Merkel.
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:20 AM   #25
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
I'm hoping that whoever wins, it'll be decisive, like a 60-40 split. That way there'll be no talk of fraud. How many votes would you have to fudge to overcome a 60-40 split? (Answer: A lot, on the order of 10 million.)
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:07 AM   #26
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
amazing how many non-citizens feel the need to pipe up on the US elections...
Well the Americans are our neighbours, and do have a large impact on the entire world, and both our image are often closely related, through our proximity, so ya, I feel entitled to comment.

If you want to comment on Canadian Politics, FEEL FREE.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:09 AM   #27
jhunter1163

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
Well the Americans are our neighbours, and do have a large impact on the entire world, and both our image are often closely related, through our proximity, so ya, I feel entitled to comment.

TAM
Whatever happened to Stockwell Day?
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:10 AM   #28
Furi
Felix Sapiens

Well for a couple of months it will be hard to escape the election in a lot of the forums (even the non political ones), and a lot of forum members (not here to be honest) seem to not understand that people outside of the USA have access to the internet (or even exist).

I received a banning from one forum as they declared it a rule that everyone had to list the candidate they would be voting for in their profile in the last race. A lot of us Non USA peops posted pictures of each others avatars or kittens with made up slogans, we all got banned, so this time I am going to find the most objectionable independant I can, and copy into my sig to stave off any such action (not that I frequent that particular batch of forums any longer)

Seeing as results effect UK Troop movements, Business, and Security, it is at least useful to find out what the general attitude is espescially regarding foreign policies, the internal stuff is alien to me as I do not know the structure or systems a lot of it is referring to, However a statement of "We will introduce massive tarrifs on imports of X", or "Let's enforce sactions on <Non white ethnic, non-catholic country>" etc, might upset us NonCitz a little.

Besides the results have already been predetermined by a certain Giant Owl, and we ALL follow his instructions.

<re corrects lateral thrust for thread drift>
Furi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:13 AM   #29
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Minister of Public Safety with the current Stephen Harper Conservative Government.

TAM
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:14 AM   #30
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Furi View Post
Seeing as results effect UK Troop movements, Business, and Security, it is at least useful to find out what the general attitude is espescially regarding foreign policies
ditto for me here in canuckville.

TAM
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:15 AM   #31
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

TAM
You actually have politics up there? I thought everybody was too occupied with just stayiing warm and Exporting whatever that "beer" is to bother...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:21 AM   #32
jhunter1163

Well, at least they didn't make him change his name to Doris. That's the kind of thing I wish American political commentators would do.

For those who might not have heard, Stockwell Day proposed a few years ago what basically amounted to a national referendum plan for Canada. Any petition that got more than a certain number of signatures would automatically be put to a national vote. A TV show then proposed a law that would compel Mr. Day to change his first name to Doris. This petition hit his proposed threshold within a couple of days. (I signed it twice and I'm not even Canadian.)

I gotta hand it to our northern neighbors, they have way more fun with their politics than we do here.
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:25 AM   #33
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It'll be just like 2006, when the American's desire to stay the course with the Republicans was foiled by the dastardly Democrats, who fraudulently registered millions of phony voters and blatantly stole the election with the complicity of their buddies in the media.

See how moronic it sounds? Just as moronic as the claims about 2000 and 2004 sound to me.

Last edited by Brainster; 22nd November 2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: possessive
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:26 AM   #34
SDC
Master Poster

Maybe -- with regard to Hilary, I mean. There's a long way to go. I firmly believe that one reason many people voted against Kerry in 2004 was that a collection of representatives of the British upper-class-chattering classes (some English newspaper organized it, I forget which) sent open letters to voters in key states instructing them to vote for Kerry.

It's the sort of thing that makes one feel like throwing tea into harbo(u)rs.
SDC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:28 AM   #35
SDC
Master Poster

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Oliver

I don't know the mechanics involved in a voting machine but I did run quality control for a software company and I think you would be amazed at the amount of testing that is done on software.

What "simple string" do you think can be added to the code without there being a good chance of it being discovered?

I am not claiming it would be impossible. But i would find it hard to believe it is as easy as adding a "simple string".
It should be remembered that the mechanics of the elections are run by the states, and are quite different. I've voted in 2 states (Michigan and NY) and how it is done is different. Big old machines with switches to flip in NY, pieces of paper with lines to fill in, and then insert in a box, in Michigan. Don't assume that a single company controls this.

Europeans often seem to forget that kind of point.
SDC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:32 AM   #36
SDC
Master Poster

TAM
How on god's green earth could an entire country believe that accords named after something called "Meese Lake" were going to work?

How's the ex-Mrs Trudeau these days?

Are the prairie provinces about to secede? Why not?

What about ... uh, which term do you use for formerly-known-as-Indians? Secession, armed rebellions, control of the cigarette business, what?

Do you prefer casinos in Windsor or Detroit?
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:44 AM   #37
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SDC View Post
Maybe -- with regard to Hilary, I mean. There's a long way to go. I firmly believe that one reason many people voted against Kerry in 2004 was that a collection of representatives of the British upper-class-chattering classes (some English newspaper organized it, I forget which) sent open letters to voters in key states instructing them to vote for Kerry.
Yeah, that was a pretty memorable fiasco. The Guardian organized it.

The outcome was unsuccessful, although since Clark County (the targeted area) only saw a vote shift of about 2000 votes to Bush, it's hard to argue that was crucial.

But you can see why it failed from a few of the literate samples.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:54 AM   #38
Furi
Felix Sapiens

tap tap tap tap - Grrrrrclunk Sproing

Originally Posted by SDC View Post
Big old machines with switches to flip in NY, pieces of paper with lines to fill in, and then insert in a box, in Michigan.
I remember watching a vid at school when learning about political systems, and during the one on democracy and it's various flavours there was a lot of footage of huge big 'One Armed bandit' type machines which I could not see the point of (given size) they looked for more complex than even the super sized linked pre-decimal mechanical accounting machines I used to to collect and take apart, and seemed more prone to Human error,

My second thought was of how much gubbins I could get out of them and then I ignored the rest of the lesson working out how such a system for automated Mechanical counting could work and methods to prevent fraud. (a simple Input - Count - Lock -Record - Master Reset per Count seemed the most fool proof) still seemed overly elaborate to me

saying that I have known quite a few people that have found a form with 5 large Printed Names Parties and Boxes, and given the following instructions complex

"To Cast Vote, Clearly Mark an X in ONE BOX ONLY " and a clear example of what they mean by an 'X' and a 'BOX' and an 'X' in a box, and examples that are void or spoiled. instructions of how to fold your paper, and even an example of placing it in the ballot box just incase.

Never volounteer to help out on an election night as they are using your scout hut as the polling station it just reinforces your belief in Human Stupidity.

no doubt the machines have come a long way since the ones I was shown, but I would trust a steampunk designed contraption, than a digital/electronic system unless I knew the method of program storage and fail safes against fraud or failure.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:26 AM   #39
Coffee
Caffeine Pusher

I don't think Hilary or Obama would be elected. The US populace is not mature or enlightened enough to elect a non-white or woman to the presidency. There are too many misogynists, racists and bigots in the US. The pattern of "elect the white Christian male" has been going on for a long time and will probably continue.
Coffee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:33 AM   #40
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I don't think Hilary or Obama would be elected. The US populace is not mature or enlightened enough to elect a non-white or woman to the presidency. There are too many misogynists, racists and bigots in the US. The pattern of "elect the white Christian male" has been going on for a long time and will probably continue.
That will probably be the excuse the Democrats use when they loose the election.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories