IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 08:12 AM   #2561
whoanellie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,052
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Herewith.
The picture at the top left is from here:
https://manualzz.com/doc/o/b8d3o/kan...--wh-container

which is a manual for more recent models, specifically WH, SW, and S. It doesn't mention the 406 F in question because:
"IMPORTANT: Epirbs > 12 years do not fulfil the current standard. They should be declared obsolete and replaced by a KANNAD 406 Epirb of new generation."
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 08:14 AM   #2562
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Er, the Joint Accident Investigation Committee (JAIC) in its preliminary report, just SEVEN DAYS after the disaster.

HS

Impressive!!!

So that is settled then.

And your point is..... what exactly?

Are you actually saying that once the investigating dive team had discovered that 1) the bow visor was no longer attached to the ship, 2) the bow visor was lying on the sea bed some considerable distance from the wreck of the ship, and 3) the bow ramp showed clear signs of deformation that could only have been caused by the detachment of the bow visor.......

.....it was somehow presumptive or wrong for the JAIC to report that.... the bow visor had detached from the ship, and the bow ramp had been badly compromised in the process?

What is it that you're actually criticising here? And precisely what is the basis for your criticism?

You don't know what you're talking about.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 08:16 AM   #2563
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,836
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Occam's razor tells you Bildt and Lehtola were sure of the bow visor having come off - although no-one, not even Sillaste reported this at the time - because they were already informed of this by the Swedish intelligence services. If you recall, the problems with radio and telephone networks notwithstanding, unlike MRCC Stockholm, Bildt seems to have recieved the news of the calamity immediately (witnesses saw him pulled away from his leaving party in a hotel shortly after one (0200 EET), and he is coy about when he first heard the news.

How did the security forces know? Probably because they were there at the scene. How else would they have known? Sillaste's testimony is so vague - saw water coming in via a monitor screen in the engine room (one witness out of 137) - it is hardly definitive hard evidence as of that date.
Nope. You make William of Ockham sad. His razor tells you they probably got a report from the police about what the survivors were saying. That's a lot more parsimonious explanation than speculating about some unevidenced secret service suicide mission aboard the Estonia.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 08:16 AM   #2564
Stamuel
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 588
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Whether they expedited the rescue effort or not is not the issue. The JAIC was supposed to investigate the accident. Their entire scope was the bow visor and nothing else. It writes off the communications problems as a wee glitch by MRCC Turku and Helsinki Radio, together with the EPIRB's not reacting as they should, as, 'it matters not, as it would not have speeded up rescue'.

Imagine if they were tasked with investigating, say, a car crash. For some inexplicable reason the airbags didn't automatically work as they should. The JAIC would say, 'Ah well, they would have died anyway, so who cares about the non-activating airbags?'


Shocking.
They investigated the EPIRBs. The part of the JAIC report discussing the EPIRB testing has been posted dozens of times. They didn't ignore it or brush it aside.

Maybe this will help: the JAIC was trying to find out what happened. For them, the question to answer about the EPRIBs was why no one received a signal from them. By testing the recovered EPIRBs, the JAIC found an answer.

The problem you are running into is that you are holding them to conspiracy theorist standards. The CT standard is that if something seems odd the first time you hear/read/see it, then it forever only points to a conspiracy. The lack of a signal from the EPIRBs was initially puzzling, so to conspiracy theorists, it must eternally and exclusively be considered evidence of a conspiracy. The question for conspiracy theorists is thus how the EPIRBs were part of a conspiracy. The JAIC, by using methods meant to show what actually happened (even if it was not a conspiracy), went directly against CT standards.

Their goal was to find out what happened, whereas the conspiracy theorist goal is to hold onto every suspicion forever. It's important to recognize the JAIC's completely different goals to understand why you disagree so strongly with the report.
__________________
A+
Stamuel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 08:20 AM   #2565
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The preliminary report is the final report. The scope of the investigation was the bow area. Full stop. Period.

The hits just keep on coming! Sterling work!!



Quote:
So anyone who still has questions is a dirty little conspiracy theorist who should be hung upside down by the ankles and smeared with tar and feathered.

No, Vixen. Anyone who puts forward conspiracy theories - which by their very nature a) are devoid of any reliable evidence, b) are entirely contradicted by actual reliable evidence, and c) show an ignorant and arrogant disregard for both the facts and the scientific method...... is a dirty little conspiracy theorist who should be hung upside down by the ankles and smeared with tar and feathered thoroughly taken to task for his/her total lack of understanding or reason.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 08:23 AM   #2566
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The survivors were treated as potential suspects and were not allowed to mix with others or speak to anyone on the phone without giving police the recipient's ID and in the presence of police.

One survivor complained of being roughly made to board a bus on dry land against his will.

That, Vixen, is an absolute crock of crap. Disgraceful CT bollocks.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 09:38 AM   #2567
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,552
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
So anyone who still has questions is a dirty little conspiracy theorist who should be hung upside down by the ankles and smeared with tar and feathered.

Tar and feathers is so 19th century. These days we just point and laugh.
__________________
What are the odds something bad will happen to a submarine in a Godzilla movie?-Brandon
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 10:54 AM   #2568
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 21,491
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The preliminary report is the final report. The scope of the investigation was the bow area. Full stop. Period.



So anyone who still has questions is a dirty little conspiracy theorist who should be hung upside down by the ankles and smeared with tar and feathered.
Anyone who questions it on such flimsy and ill-informed ways, yes, metaphorically. Answering relatively easy evidentiary dilemmas with pretentious, conspiratorial nonsense. Nobody has a problem with questioning official reports. They have a problem with the way YOU are doing it. You just pretend you know everything and if people don't accept that premise then they are poor skeptics who inappropriately label things as conspiracy theories. You merit all the mockery you receive.

Last edited by JayUtah; 26th November 2021 at 11:07 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 10:56 AM   #2569
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 21,491
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I don't answer hypothetical questions. As the JAIC never investigated the possibility of sabotage, then it is a moot point.
How do such investigations uncover evidence of sabotage normally? Since you're such an expert in forensic engineering investagation techniques, please enlighten us.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 11:07 AM   #2570
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 39,329
Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
The picture at the top left is from here:
https://manualzz.com/doc/o/b8d3o/kan...--wh-container

which is a manual for more recent models, specifically WH, SW, and S. It doesn't mention the 406 F in question because:
"IMPORTANT: Epirbs > 12 years do not fulfil the current standard. They should be declared obsolete and replaced by a KANNAD 406 Epirb of new generation."
A 12 year old buoy would be replaced when it came time to service it and have the batteries replaced. If they were for a commercial vessel or yacht over 500 tons then they would be required to be of the automatic type to comply with the SOLAS regulations updated following the Estonia sinking at the 1995 IMO Conference.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 11:07 AM   #2571
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,742
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
<snip>the Swedish people, of whom one in five of the Swedish population had a relative, friend or colleague brutally killed in the accident<snip>
Sweden had a population of 8.7 million people in 1994. 501 Swedes died on the Estonia.

So each Swede who died on the Estonia had an average of seventeen thousand people in Sweden who were relatives, friends or colleagues?

Last edited by JesseCuster; 26th November 2021 at 11:10 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 11:15 AM   #2572
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 27,364
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Sweden had a population of 8.7 million people in 1994. 501 Swedes died on the Estonia.

So each Swede who died on the Estonia had an average of seventeen thousand people in Sweden who were relatives, friends or colleagues?
Yours are better calculations than mine earlier. However, the point will be ignored by Vixen anyway.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 11:28 AM   #2573
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,571
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Sweden had a population of 8.7 million people in 1994. 501 Swedes died on the Estonia.

So each Swede who died on the Estonia had an average of seventeen thousand people in Sweden who were relatives, friends or colleagues?
Clearly they're an extremely gregarious people. Probably those long winter nights...
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 02:39 PM   #2574
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 10,718
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Look, if a huge cruise car ferry liner suddenly sinks like a stone killing up to a thousand people within minutes, how glib is it for Sweden's then [outgoing] Prime Minister to announce to the Swedish people, of whom one in five of the Swedish population had a relative, friend or colleague brutally killed in the accident - including 70 Stockholm policemen and policewomen - that the cause of the surprisingly rapid sinking was 'just an accident caused by the bow visor falling off because of a wave' before an accident committee had even been appointed. He announced this, a joint three-country committee was appointed shortly after, including his own appointment for the Swedish side.

How does Bildt know better than marine experts such as Johansson and Laar who openly said they suspected possible sabotage and many survivors reporting a series of what sounded like explosions? Why was he so quick to deny there had been any crime or atrocity?
Who, in your opinion, brutally killed them? And no, telling us you have already said who did the killing would be a blatant lie. Who, Vixen, who?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 03:10 PM   #2575
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Who, in your opinion, brutally killed them? And no, telling us you have already said who did the killing would be a blatant lie. Who, Vixen, who?

"The Man", apparently....
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 03:32 PM   #2576
Reformed Offlian
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 859
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Sweden had a population of 8.7 million people in 1994. 501 Swedes died on the Estonia.

So each Swede who died on the Estonia had an average of seventeen thousand people in Sweden who were relatives, friends or colleagues?
3.4 thousand. Only one in five Swedes. It could depend on how close the relatives are supposed to be (nth cousins?), or how broadly one defines colleagues. Is every police officer a "colleague" of every other police officer, even if they don't know their names? Or school teacher? If the implication is that one in five Swedes personally knew somebody they cared about on the Estonia, then, no, I'd call bs on that.

Last edited by Reformed Offlian; 26th November 2021 at 03:34 PM.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 03:48 PM   #2577
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 27,364
Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
3.4 thousand. Only one in five Swedes. It could depend on how close the relatives are supposed to be (nth cousins?), or how broadly one defines colleagues. Is every police officer a "colleague" of every other police officer, even if they don't know their names? Or school teacher? If the implication is that one in five Swedes personally knew somebody they cared about on the Estonia, then, no, I'd call bs on that.
As I understand it, in the US a 'colleague' can mean somebody in the same line of work, such as a police officer, even if you've never met and even work in different cities. In UK-speak it generally means someone you actually work with, i.e. the equivalent of co-worker in US terminology (if I understand that term right).

And I'd suggest that 'a relative', in this context, should mean a family member with whom you're at least reasonably familiar.

All things considered, Vixen's claim was pulled from her nether regions. But she won't try to justify it, so it's academic.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 04:06 PM   #2578
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 23,225
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
As I understand it, in the US a 'colleague' can mean somebody in the same line of work, such as a police officer, even if you've never met and even work in different cities. In UK-speak it generally means someone you actually work with, i.e. the equivalent of co-worker in US terminology (if I understand that term right).

And I'd suggest that 'a relative', in this context, should mean a family member with whom you're at least reasonably familiar.

All things considered, Vixen's claim was pulled from her nether regions. But she won't try to justify it, so it's academic.
Well these terms are pretty hazy. Take "relative", for example. You and I and everyone are relatives to each other and to an amoeba in a pond somewhere and a gorilla in the Congo. If you stretch the term.

But that is how CTs work. Use ambiguous terms that can be stretched and bent to mean anything. Lee H. Oswald was related to John Lennon. That is true. So was I. So are you. If one stretches the definition.

Now since we are all related, then any sex at all is by definition incest. Therefore we get the RCC.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 05:07 PM   #2579
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
As I understand it, in the US a 'colleague' can mean somebody in the same line of work, such as a police officer, even if you've never met and even work in different cities. In UK-speak it generally means someone you actually work with, i.e. the equivalent of co-worker in US terminology (if I understand that term right).

And I'd suggest that 'a relative', in this context, should mean a family member with whom you're at least reasonably familiar.

All things considered, Vixen's claim was pulled from her nether regions. But she won't try to justify it, so it's academic.

When Vixen indulges in these evidence-free "factoids" that she's either a) read on a CT website about the case, and hasn't bothered to check the veracity/credibility/reliability of the claim for herself (because the "factoid" fits her agenda), or b) made up entirely out of whole cloth...... it makes a mockery of the debate/discussion frankly.

I called her out on another one today: the one where she claimed that all the survivors were "treated as potential suspects" in the hours after they were rescued, and that they were sequestered and prevented from having undocumented conversations with anyone else. I suspect that Vixen gleaned this particular piece of arrant nonsense from one or other of the CT websites.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 05:19 PM   #2580
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 27,364
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
... I suspect that Vixen gleaned this particular piece of arrant nonsense from one or other of the CT websites.
Or her nether regions? Mind you, people like Bjorkman also grab 'facts' from their arses, so it's the same thing really.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 05:35 PM   #2581
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 23,225
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
When Vixen indulges in these evidence-free "factoids" that she's either a) read on a CT website about the case, and hasn't bothered to check the veracity/credibility/reliability of the claim for herself (because the "factoid" fits her agenda), or b) made up entirely out of whole cloth...... it makes a mockery of the debate/discussion frankly.

I called her out on another one today: the one where she claimed that all the survivors were "treated as potential suspects" in the hours after they were rescued, and that they were sequestered and prevented from having undocumented conversations with anyone else. I suspect that Vixen gleaned this particular piece of arrant nonsense from one or other of the CT websites.
Yeah, that was strange. The survivors were treated as suspects? Really? Sequestered? Really?

Having been in ICU, I know there is zero chance of a journo getting an interview or even entering one. Not even family is allowed in. Watching the dead getting wheeled out is both depressing and scary.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:01 AM   #2582
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,742
Originally Posted by Reformed Offlian View Post
3.4 thousand. Only one in five Swedes.
Ooops. Well spotted.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:29 AM   #2583
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by Here_to_learn View Post
Of course you don't. You like to post hypothetical, but don't dare show your own thinking.



From the final report:


How do you know that JAIC never investigated the possibility of sabotage? They say that the final report only include what actually had contributed to the accident.

Do you have any documents or reports from JAIC members where they are specifically forbidden to investigate that aspect? Any whistlelblowers?

A whole sleuth of them. The Estonian side of the JAIC claimed they had information withheld from them. Look up Werner Hummel, investigator for the ship builders Meyer-Werft. Look up ex-Royal Navy military and explosives expert Robin Braidwood, Professor Ulfversson, Professor Ida Westermann, etcetera.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022

Last edited by Vixen; 27th November 2021 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Corr
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:32 AM   #2584
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 8,998
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
A whole slewth of them.
A what now?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:43 AM   #2585
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You do realise that words have meanings? Just read what you write before posting. Jeez.
That was their preliminary report in the long three years it took for them to bring out the final report, not a thing changed, even though they had had their attention drawn to the breach in the starboard.


In business, we call it 'change management' (management of expectations). For example, you don't tell the work force straight out that they are being made redundant, you start by putting out a subtle hint (a 'trigger') and then you start an education and consultation process.

This is what the JAIC did here. It was decided immediately this was top level highly classified material and a decision taken to present the whole thing as The Herald of Free Enterprise Mk II, and to this end there was a press statement by Bildt to say the bow visor had come off and seawater flooded the car deck, when all Sillaste - a relatively lowly fourth engineer - had witnessed was water coming in at the sides of the bow ramp (which, it transpired was not unusual in rainy weather on that vessel). Next step, the JAIC to put out a preliminary statement announcing what they will be finding.

Leave a long time gap to make it look as though you have been really really busy, when the meetings were barely minuted, then bring out the final report - same as the first one - job done.

Next, the Swedish government in response to the ensuing outcry, set up a 'Ministry of Information' to educate and consult with people who did not believe the report. The archives include hundreds of illustrations of the bow visor and calculations of the nuts and bolts, yet their simulations defy the laws of Archimedes Principle, because to get to their [preordained] 'conclusions' they had to adopt a hypothetical scenario of this 15,000 tonne vessel floating on its superstructure for an appreciable amount of time, instead of turtling.


It is no surprise that nobody at all believes the JAIC report, except for a small number of people on a forum.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:44 AM   #2586
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
A whole slewth of them. The Estonian side of the JAIC claimed they had information withheld from them. Look up Werner Hummel, investigator for the ship builders Meyer-Werft. Look up ex-Royal Navy military and explosives expert Robin Braidwood, Professor Ulfversson, Professor Ida Westermann, etcetera.

So your answer to the actual question you were asked* is "No".

What you've chosen to provide instead is uncorroborated (and undocumented) claims, plus stuff to do with people who are not only totally unconnected to the JAIC investigation & report, but who are in fact vested in trying their hardest to find a "cause" of the disaster which absolves the designer and constructor of the ship from any blame.


* To remind you, that question was: "Do you have any documents or reports from JAIC members where they are specifically forbidden to investigate that aspect? Any whistlelblowers?"
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:44 AM   #2587
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So they were prevented from talking to outsiders, except when they told the police who they were talking to and the police could listen in they were allowed. And you think somehow that means nobody could learn anything they were saying and pass it on to higher authorities. I wonder if it's possible the police took note of anything they were saying. What do you think?
No witness at all is reported as having seen the bow visor fall off, so where did Bildt get it from? Not from a survivor.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:44 AM   #2588
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
A what now?

Perhaps it means "a large collection of sloths".

Which, in a way, would be apt in this context........
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 08:01 AM   #2589
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That was their preliminary report in the long three years it took for them to bring out the final report, not a thing changed, even though they had had their attention drawn to the breach in the starboard.

1. What inspired you to insert the pejorative "long" before "three years"? What exactly are you implying by your deliberate choice of that adjective?

2. If they had all the evidence they needed by the time of the preliminary report to form the provisional conclusion that the cause of the sinking was the failure of the bow visor and bow ramp..... and then they spent more time following the release of the preliminary findings examining everything in more depth and making sure they'd covered off every possibility..... and after that they concluded that there really was nothing other than the bow opening failures that caused the disaster......

.....then it stands to reason that their final report would tally closely with their preliminary report.

You seem to be insinuating that the JAIC spent most of the time in-between the interim and final reports either a) twiddling their thumbs (having already made their minds up that they knew the cause and there was no point investigating further) or b) actively suppressing investigation into the types of sinister CT bollocks that you believe were the "real" cause.

You obviously have no experience of accident/disaster reports, and you don't know what you're talking about.

3) Explain to us exactly how/when the JAIC investigators/report authors "had their attention drawn to the breach in the starboard", please. With particular attention paid to the "when" part.



Quote:
In business, we call it 'change management' (management of expectations). For example, you don't tell the work force straight out that they are being made redundant, you start by putting out a subtle hint (a 'trigger') and then you start an education and consultation process.

Oh. Right. Yes, this is relevant. LMAOOOOOO.

This is, well, I really don't know how to even approach telling you how wrong and irrelevant you're being here. Suffice it to say though that you're employing the intellectually-dishonest practice of firstly assuming a fact not in evidence then criticising the JAIC for not following your prescribed procedure (which isn't even remotely applicable in the context of an accident/disaster investigation anyway LOL) based on your prior (incorrect) assumption.

Even for you Vixen, that's an impressive low!



Quote:
This is what the JAIC did here. It was decided immediately this was top level highly classified material and a decision taken to present the whole thing as The Herald of Free Enterprise Mk II, and to this end there was a press statement by Bildt to say the bow visor had come off and seawater flooded the car deck, when all Sillaste - a relatively lowly fourth engineer - had witnessed was water coming in at the sides of the bow ramp (which, it transpired was not unusual in rainy weather on that vessel). Next step, the JAIC to put out a preliminary statement announcing what they will be finding.

Leave a long time gap to make it look as though you have been really really busy, when the meetings were barely minuted, then bring out the final report - same as the first one - job done.

Next, the Swedish government in response to the ensuing outcry, set up a 'Ministry of Information' to educate and consult with people who did not believe the report. The archives include hundreds of illustrations of the bow visor and calculations of the nuts and bolts, yet their simulations defy the laws of Archimedes Principle, because to get to their [preordained] 'conclusions' they had to adopt a hypothetical scenario of this 15,000 tonne vessel floating on its superstructure for an appreciable amount of time, instead of turtling.


It is no surprise that nobody at all believes the JAIC report, except for a small number of people on a forum.

This is total and utter bat guano. It's a sinister fairy tale, pulled out of thin air by you and your fellow CT travellers, entirely free of any (reliable, credible) supporting evidence, burnished and embellished via a toxic combination of ignorant misunderstanding and deliberate misrepresentation. It's deeply, unequivocally crazy.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 08:06 AM   #2590
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 19,093
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
No witness at all is reported as having seen the bow visor fall off, so where did Bildt get it from? Not from a survivor.

You sure about that "fact", Vixen?

(Hint: you're wrong)


(Note also that it's not necessary for someone to have actually directly seen the bow visor as it physically detached from the ship and drifted away & sank.... for them to have seen the consequences of the bow visor's detachment and inferred - correctly - that the bow visor must have come detached. Such as, say, a crew member seeing a) the bow ramp in an unnatural and damaged part-open position, and water pouring round each side of the compromised bow ramp.....)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 08:35 AM   #2591
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Exactly as he said. Two days later. And not "two weeks later" as you'd originally claimed.

You're still pathologically unable to admit to being wrong, I note.....






Yeah.....no. You clearly know nothing whatsoever about Sonar imaging either. In fact, is there anything relevant to this disaster about which you are qualified to offer a properly-sourced, properly-researched, properly-understood and properly-reasoned opinion?






Because...... the bow visor was not actually anywhere near the ship when divers put physical eyes on the wreckage (as opposed to an imprecise and ambiguous Sonar image).






You're being stupid again. As I said: you clearly know nothing whatsoever about Sonar imaging (and specifically, its limitations and its inherent imprecision).
The bow visor was not recovered until almost three weeks later. We obviously knew where the wreck was for there to have been a sonar image in the first place.

Quote:
Estonia visor found a nautical mile from the wreckage STT

19.10.1994 2:00

The detached bow visor of the accident vessel Estonia was found on Tuesday afternoon about a nautical mile, or less than two kilometres west of the wreckage of the vessel. The visor was found during the diagonal echo measurements of the sentry ship Tursas this afternoon.

Video footage taken by robotic cameras confirmed at 3:30 p.m. that it was a missing visor. The 55-tonne bow lies at a depth of 76 metres. The search for Visor involved the patrol ship Tursas and the Estonian patrol ship EVA-200.

In the evening, The Tursas continued to film the visor. The aim was to bring the tapes through Turku to Helsinki for analysis by experts today, Wednesday. The International Commission of Inquiry will then review the tapes and decide on the lifting of the visor.
HS
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 08:41 AM   #2592
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *breathes* AHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!


Tell us all a bit more about how the buoys could have been "automatically switched on by a quick-thinking member of the crew", Vixen.

We're in clown-school territory at this point, ladies and gentlemen.


(Oh and I hate to break it to you Vixen, but the EPIRBs on the Estonia did not feature an automatic activation feature. I know that may come as a big shock to you, and I offer you my condolences at this difficult time.)

From the mouth of JAIC itself, as reported 5.10.1994

Quote:
According to the Commission's report, it has so far not been possible to point out any faults in the ramp fastening system that would explain why the ramp opened in the sea. Nor has it been yet been able to investigate the breach of the ship's distress signal lines. Estonia's aforesaid epirb buoy signal was not received at all. The investigation has not confirmed whether the buoys came off the ship at all or whether the severe list prevented them from coming off. The visor will be searched and lifted The bow ramp was hit hard Helsingin Sanomat
HS


Let's stick to the recorded facts, please, and not your ill-considered 'opinion' and 'alternative suggestion'.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 08:56 AM   #2593
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
People tend to give themselves away embarrassingly when they pull "facts" like this straight out of their waste pipes. Although in this particular case of course, the "giving themselves away embarrassingly" part was already conclusively reached a long, long time ago.......
This is a fact as recorded in the popular public domain. That is, as reported by newspapers and main stream media.

Here in the nordic countries, entire villages know each other, or of each other. People keep a close eye on the obituaries column in the regional newspaper because they know who the people are even if only from a distance.


I completely believe 'a fifth of all Swedes knew someone who died in the disaster'. For example, it included a group of young mothers from one village, a group of engineers from one firm, seventy police officers from Stockholm. It is very easy to see that the degrees of freedom will intertwine with each other.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:06 AM   #2594
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
No. That's the rule known as "Vixen's Bogus Razor".

Occam's Razor, on the other hand, tells us that Bildt almost certainly got the information about the bow visor via survivors - either directly, or via hospital/rescue staff, or via police or other first-line investigators.


"Swedish intelligence" LOLOLOL. Did it involve the captain of the mythical Swedish submarine which rammed the Estonia?

Seriously, Vixen: do you really not realise quite how crackpot your position is?
Bildt cannot have known the bow visor fell off on Day One, as none of the survivors reported this (the only survivor interviewed on the day of his announcement was Sillaste and all he said is what he saw on the engine control room monitor. The wreck was not located until two days later, a sonar image taken six days later. I believe the Swedish navy sent down a couple of divers on day 2, although I don't think they filmed anything. The bow visor was not found until 17/18 October 1994.

Yet by 5 October 1994, the JAIC put out its preliminary report, despite none of the senior officers on the bridge not having survived to testify.


Quote:
Preliminary report by the Commission of Inquiry completed Estonia sinking began with the detachment of the visor SUBSCRIBERS Backman Nils-Eric 5.10.1994 2:00 The cause of the sinking of TURKU-Estonia has been confirmed by a devastating sequence of events. First the ship's visor was cut off, then the water leaked through the bow ramp to the car deck in the storm. When the car deck filled with water, the ship lost its severity and capsized. Many of the events that led to the accident, on the other hand, are unclear. It is not known what time it all happened and what information was available on the bridge prior to the accident. It remains unclear what action the ship's officers and crew had taken at different stages of the accident. On Tuesday, the International Commission of Inquiry into the Estonia disaster published its preliminary report in Turku.
HS

That people in the UK believe this is all perfectly normal, indicates to me the UK must be so used to this type of corruption (misinformation) they have normalised it as acceptable behaviour by their government.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:12 AM   #2595
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
How do such investigations uncover evidence of sabotage normally? Since you're such an expert in forensic engineering investagation techniques, please enlighten us.
If Jutta Rabe's team spotted holes in the bow bulkhead sides and Braidwood spotted what in his expert opinion looked like an unexploded explosive device attached to the bow, together with Ida Westermann more recently identifying possible deformations i the bow - having personally arranged metallurgy laboratory tests - indicating extreme high temperatures/points of high impact, then one has to wonder why the JAIC never investigated this area of possibility, especially when so many of the passenger and crew survivors mentioned hearing a series of bangs and/or collision sensations, together with the devastatingly rapid sinking.

Instead, from Day One, we are told a wave was responsible.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022

Last edited by Vixen; 27th November 2021 at 09:24 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:14 AM   #2596
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Who, in your opinion, brutally killed them? And no, telling us you have already said who did the killing would be a blatant lie. Who, Vixen, who?
Nobody has ever been brought to justice as it was immediately asserted to be due to a force of nature.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:20 AM   #2597
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 27,474
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
1. What inspired you to insert the pejorative "long" before "three years"? What exactly are you implying by your deliberate choice of that adjective?

2. If they had all the evidence they needed by the time of the preliminary report to form the provisional conclusion that the cause of the sinking was the failure of the bow visor and bow ramp..... and then they spent more time following the release of the preliminary findings examining everything in more depth and making sure they'd covered off every possibility..... and after that they concluded that there really was nothing other than the bow opening failures that caused the disaster......

.....then it stands to reason that their final report would tally closely with their preliminary report.

You seem to be insinuating that the JAIC spent most of the time in-between the interim and final reports either a) twiddling their thumbs (having already made their minds up that they knew the cause and there was no point investigating further) or b) actively suppressing investigation into the types of sinister CT bollocks that you believe were the "real" cause.

You obviously have no experience of accident/disaster reports, and you don't know what you're talking about.

3) Explain to us exactly how/when the JAIC investigators/report authors "had their attention drawn to the breach in the starboard", please. With particular attention paid to the "when" part.






Oh. Right. Yes, this is relevant. LMAOOOOOO.

This is, well, I really don't know how to even approach telling you how wrong and irrelevant you're being here. Suffice it to say though that you're employing the intellectually-dishonest practice of firstly assuming a fact not in evidence then criticising the JAIC for not following your prescribed procedure (which isn't even remotely applicable in the context of an accident/disaster investigation anyway LOL) based on your prior (incorrect) assumption.

Even for you Vixen, that's an impressive low!






This is total and utter bat guano. It's a sinister fairy tale, pulled out of thin air by you and your fellow CT travellers, entirely free of any (reliable, credible) supporting evidence, burnished and embellished via a toxic combination of ignorant misunderstanding and deliberate misrepresentation. It's deeply, unequivocally crazy.
In answer to your question, the JAIC itself said the final report was delayed.

When you go potty-mouthed we know it means you have lost the argument.
__________________
Abaddon: "But perhaps Vixen should reflect on the fact that I would kill myself before leaving them in her care." 22.1.2022
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:24 AM   #2598
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,742
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Let's stick to the recorded facts, please, and not your ill-considered 'opinion' and 'alternative suggestion'.
Recorded facts?

Like rogue KGB agents, escorting Swedish submarines crashing into the Estonia, British submarines of a type unknown to the public crashing into the Estonia, the bridge being hijacked, EPIRBs being found in the roof structure of the bridge, explosive charges being seen on the wreck, mysterious minisubs rescuing conspirators and slinking off into the night, a minisub firing limited range torpedos at the Estonia, a minisub attaching a limpet mine to the Estonia in the middle of a storm, leftover WWII mines sinking the Estonia, radioactive material dissolving part of the bow doors causing them to fail, Bill Clinton having something to do with the entire affair because of Israel/Palestine something something, crew members being whisked away on CIA rendition flights operating as cargo planes...

Those kind of "recorded facts"?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:26 AM   #2599
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,742
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
In answer to your question, the JAIC itself said the final report was delayed.
Was the JAIC report rushed out in a hurry or did it take a long 3 years because it was delayed?

Here's a suggestion: Try actually answering the actual question that I actually asked in this actual post and not something else entirely.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:28 AM   #2600
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 21,491
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
A whole sleuth of them. The Estonian side of the JAIC claimed they had information withheld from them. Look up Werner Hummel, investigator for the ship builders Meyer-Werft. Look up ex-Royal Navy military and explosives expert Robin Braidwood, Professor Ulfversson, Professor Ida Westermann, etcetera.
Could the people hired by the ship's builders possibly have an ulterior motive in making it seem like the official investigation was flawed?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.