ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 29th December 2017, 01:04 PM   #2921
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Meldumb also endorses hand and foot casts from serial hoaxer Paul Freeman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freeman2.jpg (56.9 KB, 7 views)
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 05:14 PM   #2922
Pterodactyl
Muse

Meldrum also played a significant role in the recent hoax film "Discovering Bigfoot" made by serial hoaxer Todd Standing.

Meldrum is careful not to endorse things outright anymore these days. He has apparently learned from past embarrassments.

However, the careful wording he uses exposes the fact that he is being dishonest.
For instance in the most recent Todd Standing hoax film, Meldrum is careful to say about some footage of an apparent sasquatch peering into the camera from under a log (paraphrasing) "It's hard for me to look at that footage and not feel that Im looking into the eyes of a living being."

Notice he doesnt say "a living sasquatch" or "a living animal" because he has to leave plausible deniability in his endorsement of the footage. A person is a "being" so he can later claim he was not wrong in any number of ways. Yet, he has still endorsed the footage, played his role as bigfoot professor in the film and (likely) made some money. I suspect this is his typical angle.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 05:19 PM   #2923
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

What in the holy hell is going on with that guy's hair?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freeman2.jpg (40.1 KB, 18 views)
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 06:52 PM   #2924
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
What in the holy hell is going on with that guy's hair?
That's a short-lived hair fashion known as Platinum Forelock, or simply PF. Paul Freeman chose it because it's the same as his initials. He is the only known person in the world to have worn this hairstyle.
Old 29th December 2017, 07:39 PM   #2925
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I think it's great that Meldrum collaborates with Todd Standing and endorses his phoney Bigfoot heads even if he does use weasel words. The reason I like this is because it shows what Bigfootery is all about. It's essentially about hoaxers and gullible people and fantasy fiction. It's a nonsense myth and you don't have to actually believe it's true to enjoy looking at the bizarre spectacle as a voyeur.

Meldrum isn't changing Bigfootery at all. It's the same as it has ever been and always will be. He hasn't added scientific credibility because there isn't any of that and in the end it's meaningless that he happens to be a scientist. The scientists who have endorsed Bigfoot as being real are crackpots. They always were and they always will be in the future.

Snow Walker, Wallace Stompers, Skookum Cast, Freeman Funny Phoneys, Todd Standing Muppet Heads, etc.

Meldrum isn't making mistakes; he's doing Bigfootery the way it's supposed to be done. A person cannot endorse genuine Bigfoot evidence because there is no such thing.
Old 29th December 2017, 07:43 PM   #2926
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That's a short-lived hair fashion known as Platinum Forelock, or simply PF. Paul Freeman chose it because it's the same as his initials. He is the only known person in the world to have worn this hairstyle.
It's also a little known fact he was the original creator of Charlie Sheen's now famous catch phrase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlie-sheen-winning.jpg (16.9 KB, 7 views)
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 10:15 AM   #2927
DennyT
Master Poster

Exclamation

This is what I remember... Snow Walker was done by a European film production to look like a Yeti for a film of some sort. I'm not sure if it was actually intended to be a hoax instead of a simulation. Meldrum saw the video clip and went on and on about it being authentic. I don't know if it was presented to him as being real or was simply placed in front of him for his evaluation. Either way, he endorsed it as being footage of a genuine Yeti.

He believed it to be real right up until the production company said no we made that hairy thing using a regular guy in a fur costume. After that he just went silent on the Snow Walker without an explanation of his vulnerability and why he thought a guy in a suit was a Yeti. This is a smart calculated move because to explain things is the equivalent of letting people look behind the Wizard of Oz curtain and see the levers and gears and then know that the Emperor really isn't wearing clothes.

Yes, he endorses the Wallace tracks as genuine.
Further, he says that the Patterson tracks were made by one of the Bigfoots who left Wallace tracks. He accounts for the differences by saying that, in the Wallace trackway, the Bigfoot walked with its toes curled under. This explanation came to him while watching his wife curl her toes.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 10:39 AM   #2928
DennyT
Master Poster

I certainly hope the expert on primate locomotion attempts to present this joke at a scientific meeting.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 07:23 PM   #2929
The Shrike
Illuminator

Okay, but before I put in the time to properly source these things, has anyone already done that?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:43 AM   #2930
The Shrike
Illuminator

Good heavens! I started watching Todd Standing's "Discovering Bigfoot" last night on the Netflixes. Special guest stars Dr. Don Jeffrey Meldrum PhD (peee-aytch-DEE!) and John BinderNOGGLE (also PhD) add both production value and gravitas!

I'm about halfway through and it is quite the snooze-fest. So far there's no explanation from Standing about the muppet-foots he keeps showing. The black-gloved hand taking the apples was pretty cool. So far Meldrum's been far too encouraging on this Standing loon, but he's also been careful not to add his expert seal of approval.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:52 AM   #2931
Drewbot
Philosopher

Yes, The Shrike, you are correct, it is extremely bad. I don't know who is worse, Meldrum, who knows it's fake, or Bindernagel, who might actually think it's real.

The funniest part I saw was when Standing is telling the audience how skilled he is at tracking, and evasion, and jumping into the rivers with his Ghillie suit on. It reminded me of these Karate experts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOcl7JVJsh0
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:48 PM   #2932
Pterodactyl
Muse

Standing is such a badass!
The only thing his training montage could use would be footage of him punching sides of beef dangling in a meat locker.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:25 PM   #2933
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I too took the plunge last night, but could only last about 20 minutes. Couldn't take it, neither he nor his movie tribute to himself are watchable in any way. Weirdly, after the first 5 minutes I think I was watching it solely out of some kind of misplaced spite (as opposed to curiosity). He's the dictionary definition of a Neckbeard with the Trust Fund Badassery option. Mostly he's just another freak.
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:06 PM   #2934
The Shrike
Illuminator

I'll try to finish it tonight.

BTW, Meldrum's new essay at Capeia has dropped! Do you know why we haven't discovered bigfoot yet? Meaniehead scientists (except all the great ones in Meldrum's corner).
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:02 PM   #2935
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I'll try to finish it tonight.

BTW, Meldrum's new essay at Capeia has dropped! Do you know why we haven't discovered bigfoot yet? Meaniehead scientists (except all the great ones in Meldrum's corner).
It's the delusions of a car salesman. The type of thinking that says "Let's re-write the rules of scientific evidence so I'll look cooler." Even stupider, his argument is a completely made up fantasy. At least in terms of Bigfoot. NOBODY ANYWHERE has denied him IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER the ability to "discover" Bigfoot due to his "issues" with the Single Species Hypothesis. Put another way, if Bigfoot actually existed there's no way some abstract scientific theory would be able to physically keep Bigfoot away from our prying eyes (and guns).

BTW good comment too.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:57 AM   #2936
The Shrike
Illuminator

Finished Standing's Muppets over Alberta mockumentary last night. Re: Meldrum and BinderNOGGle collusion in that hot mess: I don't know how much they were paid for this, but their expressions throughout looked to me like cries for help from the madman they feared would slit their throats in the night. Meldrum's wimpy admission to potentially seeing his first squatch seemed forced, like a confession in an Iranian prison.

Other observations:
1) Blinky the squatch is hilarious in that a) he's so obviously Standing and b) his entire brow ridge collapses when he winks on camera. Squatchtastic!
2) If you fill your movie with stock footage of yourself running through the woods, your audience will immediately recognize you as the squatch running along the hillside.
3) There are 4 people credited as camera operators. That doesn't mean there were always 4 additional people around besides Todd, Jeff, and John, but those three were not the only ones there.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:34 PM   #2937
Pterodactyl
Muse

Interestingly, after watching the film, it would appear there are actually 3 distinct types of Squatches in the North woods. Muppetsquatch, Blinksquatch and the heretofore unseen underlog Blackfacesquatch, none of which bear even a superficial resemblance to one another.
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:13 PM   #2938
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Interestingly, after watching the film, it would appear there are actually 3 distinct types of Squatches in the North woods. Muppetsquatch, Blinksquatch and the heretofore unseen underlog Blackfacesquatch, none of which bear even a superficial resemblance to one another.
Blackfacesquatch or was that just Standing and some shoe polish?
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:35 PM   #2939
Drewbot
Philosopher

Squatchdetective does some great work condensing the history of Sylvanic AKA Todd Standing into 1 web page.
https://squatchdetective.wordpress.com/tag/sylvanic/
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:39 PM   #2940
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

...seems to be disinterested in the photographer who is very close. Meldrum should mention that trail cameras will work for this one.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:27 PM   #2941
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Squatchdetective does some great work condensing the history of Sylvanic AKA Todd Standing into 1 web page.
https://squatchdetective.wordpress.com/tag/sylvanic/
Wait, so is it Sylavnic, Sylanic, or Sylvanic? WTH, man?! Edit your stuff, Todd.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:46 PM   #2942
The Shrike
Illuminator

...seems to be disinterested in the photographer who is very close. Meldrum should mention that trail cameras will work for this one.
I noticed that, too. Al Jolson-squatch is looking off to the side when it should be staring down the lens right into Standing's soul. I guess he's doing that gorilla side-eye threat.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:41 PM   #2943
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Sadly I couldn't look away and had to finish watching it too. Though I abused the FF button. NEVER before has a so-called "scientist" looked as pathetic as Don "The Snake" Meldrum does in that movie. WOW! I mean, I know he's been a lifelong wussy and wimp, but he takes that to a whole new level here. He's the proverbial deer in the headlights. I get the feeling if Standing had said bend over, Don would have said "like this?" I don't think any clearer evidence exists that shows how much The Snake's in it only for the cash. It's so blatantly obvious here that it actually waters down anything else Bigfoot he's ever done, if that's even possible. Though don't let me mislead you, he always gets paid, it's just not always so clear how much.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:57 AM   #2944
GT/CS
Illuminator

I wonder if he or Gimlin will ever come clean.
Old 8th January 2018, 05:28 PM   #2945
DennyT
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
I wonder if he or Gimlin will ever come clean.
Jmho
Gimlin might write a letter to be opened after his death. He rationalizes that Bigfoot has been seen so many times that it must be real and that so many people have been helped by believing. It is just not in his character to be a standup guy. If you take a hard look at his personal social and work history it’s pretty obvious that until the Bigfoot scam revived he was a dead end kind of guy. Not unlike Patterson except with no creativity or drive. Hard to know how many blows to head he took as a boxer in the navy.
DeAtley in contrast might still have a finite chance of admitting something but he is not an eyewitness and I really don’t think Patterson ever admitted it to anyone. Not even his wife.

Last edited by DennyT; 8th January 2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 8th January 2018, 07:22 PM   #2946
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

If Gimlin hasn't piped up already, he never will. He essentially came as close as he ever will when he told Chris Packham that there was a possibility that he could've been fooled.

If he didn't feel any guilt then, doesn't feel any guilt now, then I don't expect that to change. He's obviously made peace with it inside his own head, and has likely rationalized it as a necessity in order to put bread on the table. He probably doesn't see it as that big a deal, really. What's the difference between what he did and what other people do every day? They're the kind of things I imagine he's thought about over many a cold beer.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 09:48 AM   #2947
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Standing is such a badass!
The only thing his training montage could use would be footage of him punching sides of beef dangling in a meat locker.
I did that to the moose we had hanging out in the shop, and the fact is our heavy bags are a lot harder on everything - hands, wrists, shoulders, etc.

When you whack the ribs there's nothing behind them giving you resistance.

I'd try it on a live one, but they just seem so stupid and uncooperative.

William I have to agree on Merldumb. But the best we've ever seen is the Dean of Yeti, Peter Byrne.

I love you guys. Not sure if this is a one time return or what. I mostly wanted to give those ******** in the diet thread some trolling since I started this crash diet, and pop in to say howdy.

I have some things going on that might get me killed, we'll see. I may call it off, it's just beyond the pale this time. What the hell is wrong with me, lol. I should just stay in the arms of these lovelies.

*********** out of my gourd. Good to see you all.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2018, 10:16 AM   #2948
Pterodactyl
Muse

Welcome back ABP.

While here, dont forget to check out the giant bigfoot turd on display in north georgia.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=326084
Old 10th January 2018, 07:48 AM   #2949
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
I have some things going on that might get me killed,
Dude, don't die.

Also, that's the sort of thing Todd Standing might say.
Old 13th January 2018, 12:35 PM   #2950
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Real lunacy has come to the comment section of the Capeia website. Bigfootery has always been a magnet for those with extreme personality disorder and mental illness.

This will now be a test for the character of the owner of that website. We know that he is a Bigfoot believer. We shall see if he is willing to edit the comments of those with broken minds.

https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...noids#comments
Old 13th January 2018, 12:55 PM   #2951
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Where's the *********** monkey, Jeff?
Looking forward to the Trump Presidential Library. A putting green. Recipes for chocolate cake. A live Twitter feed for visitors to post on. A little black book w the phone numbers of porn stars. You're in and out in five minutes.

Alec Baldwin
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 01:58 PM   #2952
The Shrike
Illuminator

Real lunacy has come to the comment section of the Capeia website. Bigfootery has always been a magnet for those with extreme personality disorder and mental illness.

This will now be a test for the character of the owner of that website. We know that he is a Bigfoot believer. We shall see if he is willing to edit the comments of those with broken minds.

Ha ha - Hi Everybody!
~timmy
Old 13th January 2018, 05:27 PM   #2953
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike

Ha ha - Hi Everybody!
~timmy
I read it as a cautionary tale. Though it is clear to me that Meldrum is speaking out his rear end, it is equally clear that I would not be able to hold my ground in a debate with him. When choosing to debate someone, you must be sure that either you can hold your ground or are in a venue in which losing the rhetorical battle does no harm.

Good on you, Shrike.
Old 13th January 2018, 06:17 PM   #2954
GT/CS
Illuminator

Has Meldrum posted on this site?
Old 14th January 2018, 01:15 PM   #2955
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Has Meldrum posted on this site?
He's welcome any time.

I've always chuckled at the thought of my anonymous online persona meaning anything. An average 10-year old could probably have tracked me down to figure it out at any point since the late 1990s. I assumed regulars here who might care about such things knew too. Despite that - and despite even being known to leadership at the BFF where I was so critical of them for years - no one ever outed me. It's a line you don't cross unless you a) have some deficits or b) are simply a lousy human being.

Meh, it was a good run I suppose. I'm disappointed in two things, however. First, it's a shame that the moderation at Capeia has so far failed to act in the face of the most basic rule of online discussions: breach of confidentiality. The second reflects poorly on our hero Don Jeffrey, who gleefully used that information in his responses to me when he should have rebuked the poster for sharing it.
Old 14th January 2018, 03:29 PM   #2956
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Where's the *********** monkey, Jeff?
Good question...Boz..Jeff?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown04.jpg (82.5 KB, 1 views)
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 04:55 PM   #2957
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

He's welcome any time.

I've always chuckled at the thought of my anonymous online persona meaning anything. An average 10-year old could probably have tracked me down to figure it out at any point since the late 1990s. I assumed regulars here who might care about such things knew too. Despite that - and despite even being known to leadership at the BFF where I was so critical of them for years - no one ever outed me. It's a line you don't cross unless you a) have some deficits or b) are simply a lousy human being.

Meh, it was a good run I suppose. I'm disappointed in two things, however. First, it's a shame that the moderation at Capeia has so far failed to act in the face of the most basic rule of online discussions: breach of confidentiality. The second reflects poorly on our hero Don Jeffrey, who gleefully used that information in his responses to me when he should have rebuked the poster for sharing it.
Maybe I should be ashamed to admit this but I've never once known your real name. And trust me I'm the guy that looks at and touches everything everywhere I go and I have an insatiable need to learn and know everything about everything and everyone, but it never mattered to me to know your "real" name because you'd have told us if you wanted us to know. Nor did it matter where you were nor what you did. And yes one of those I did know because you willingly told us and one I would have only guessed, New York?! Curiously, I think your previous handle SasSkeptic told us more about you than our knowing your real name ever would have.

As for Don Meldrum "gleefully" breaching THE GOLDEN RULE, everyone needs to understand he's a ******* con man. He's not some "mistaken" scientist with a Bigfoot passion that comes from his heart. He's not somebody planning on the $10+ million dollars he'd have if he dragged in a real beast. And he's not somebody looking for more Bigfoot "knowledge". One of the perils he faces within the BigCon™ is showing himself to be "investigating" too much. At some point even his most ardent supporter wants to see some real meat. The fact is the amount of "investigation" he's supposedly done without coming up with even one BCH would surely convince anyone "normal" that there's no beast. I mean, he can't get a picture, a signature, a hair, dirty panties, nothing from Bigfoot to really convince the masses BIGFOOT LIVES? Of course not and everyone including him knows it.

So maybe the question now is what rule WILL Capeia enforce if they can't wrap their minds around the confidentiality one? Wait, hold on, I think I just got a text from one of their 'staff': "Yeah, umm, we don't want to get involved in any Internet spats. You guys need to work it out on your own. But please feel free to use our comments section to post anything about anyone anywhere including setting us up as a mirror site for Wikileaks® and telling all the Russian anti-virus companies you know. We just don't ******* care! We're here for the chicks man."

So there's that.
Old 14th January 2018, 05:29 PM   #2958
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

He's welcome any time.

Nearly the entire crew over at Capeia, from the esteemed guest wooslinger, to the woo-smitten administrators and woo-addled commenters are suffering from a deficit. If you've ever had the experience of being tracked down by a troubled fringe believer, you'll understand how serious and threatening an internet outing can be. That it is tolerated and even encouraged tells you what you need to know about the quality of their character. This over the silly notion of a giant monkey-man wandering about the breadth and depth of North America, somehow scientifically unverified after about 15000 years of cohabitation with HSS.

Don Jeff Meldrum, folks at Capeia, woo-sotted hangers-on, please provide a monkey, because that's what it's gonna take.

Don't have one you say? Then shaddup.
Looking forward to the Trump Presidential Library. A putting green. Recipes for chocolate cake. A live Twitter feed for visitors to post on. A little black book w the phone numbers of porn stars. You're in and out in five minutes.

Alec Baldwin
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 07:20 PM   #2959
DennyT
Master Poster

He's welcome any time.

Meldrum gave up my contact info to a real nut job who started calling my home. He is an unprincipled person imho.

Last edited by DennyT; 14th January 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 14th January 2018, 07:29 PM   #2960
Pterodactyl
Muse

These people are sick.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal