ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th December 2017, 06:28 AM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Just when you thought the New Age was dead...

On Quora yesterday, someone asked about “lightworkers”. Unfamiliar with the term, I looked it up:

“A Lightworker is anyone who devotes their life to being a bright light in the world. They understand that their actions (no matter how big or small) have the potential to raise the vibration of the planet. A Lightworker soul is awake, conscious that their presence matters and that they are part of something that is bigger than them.”

From just one of many web pages:

https://rebeccacampbell.me/what-is-a-lightworker/

Seems that much like “Indigo Children”, these folks see themselves as special and as generally raising the tone and quality of humanity.....

At least, the idea seems relatively harmless.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2017, 11:20 AM   #2
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Unemployed, dark skinned people might consider this racism.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Shepherd
Thinker

When my neighbors' baby started turning blue, I told them they should be excited about that, that it looked like they were going to be having an indigo child after all!

(Okay, that didn't really happen. I just can't help myself from being a goof sometimes. Hopefully, and I mean for everyone involved, I'll never have to find out what I would actually say under such circumstance)
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2017, 02:46 PM   #4
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
On Quora yesterday, someone asked about “lightworkers”. Unfamiliar with the term, I looked it up:

“A Lightworker is anyone who devotes their life to being a bright light in the world. They understand that their actions (no matter how big or small) have the potential to raise the vibration of the planet. A Lightworker soul is awake, conscious that their presence matters and that they are part of something that is bigger than them.”

Seems that much like “Indigo Children”, these folks see themselves as special and as generally raising the tone and quality of humanity.....

So it's a bit lame prayer then, all the smug self satisfaction of doing something but without the unwanted effort.
Old 28th December 2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Wink

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nemployment-un

This New Age nonsense will grow, sadly.

Humans will have too much time on their hands and thus more time to come up with bollocks.

Similar to when we went from hunter gatherer - say 10 humans to hunt 1 animal, scroll on to agriculture, 1 human for 10 animals leaving 9 humans with nothing to do but come up with ideas justifying (themselves) and controlling the poor sod looking after the 10 animals - and building palaces, pyramids and so forth keeping some of the less intelligent 9 busy.

Come the robots - this will be the same. Us skeptics will again be deemed as the evil ones etc.

Mark my words
Old 28th December 2017, 04:19 PM   #6
Apathia
Illuminator

Who can shine the brightest?

https://www.the-brights.net/movement/

Rebecca Campbell: Dim
Rebecca Watson: Bright

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 28th December 2017 at 04:30 PM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 05:33 AM   #7
dann
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Unemployed, dark skinned people might consider this racism.

The Vikings called black Africans blåmænd: blue men.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 06:54 AM   #8
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
When my neighbors' baby started turning blue, I told them they should be excited about that, that it looked like they were going to be having an indigo child after all!

(Okay, that didn't really happen. I just can't help myself from being a goof sometimes. Hopefully, and I mean for everyone involved, I'll never have to find out what I would actually say under such circumstance)
CPR and fast!!! Prior to it happening, get a CPR course and pay special attention to the part about CPR for babies and also young children. That was my specialty back when my wife and I did Red Cross CPR classes!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 07:03 AM   #9
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The Vikings called black Africans blåmænd: blue men.
Blue Men Group is a modern minstrel show?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 07:13 AM   #10
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Woo Age is best formulated while standing on your head or hands. Fitting prelude to the grandstanding. What's not to like?
Old 29th December 2017, 08:19 AM   #11
dann
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Blue Men Group is a modern minstrel show?

Are you sure they're not African Americans in blue costumes, like Zoe Saldana in Avatar?

I'm also confused by the Smurfs. I mean, at first glance their adversary Gargamel appears to be Caucasian, but what about the Black Smurfs, then? Maybe it's true that Smurfette is Aryan, Gargamel Jewish and the Smurfs are anti-Semitic.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 09:25 AM   #12
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

“A Lightworker is anyone who devotes their life to being a bright light in the world. They understand that their actions (no matter how big or small) have the potential...
Well this sounds nice. Nothing objectionable here.

...to raise the vibration of the planet.
Wait what?

Man, I hope we don't get too many of these guys or they'll start causing earthquakes.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 10:27 AM   #13
philkensebben
Master Poster

I've seen a couple of friends (or friends of friends)on facebook signing off with 'Love and Light'. Are they lightworkers or does it have something to do with that?
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 02:28 PM   #14
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post

Wait what?

Man, I hope we don't get too many of these guys or they'll start causing earthquakes.
Yeah, vibration is a pretty simple word to be incapable of understanding.
Old 29th December 2017, 06:25 PM   #15
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

I plan to be the brightest lightworker ever. I'll outshine them all.

I just need a bit more uranium...
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 05:21 PM   #16
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post

Wait what?

According to occult theology there are many higher planes of experience some of which interpenetrate this world, and we are surrounded by psychic energy. It is a dark cloud of negative energy caused by all the wars and suffering. Spiritualist mediums always start a service giving evidence of survival with a prayer to raise the vibrations of the church, or they might open themselves to negative energy.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 11:33 PM   #17
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

"occult theology" = "ignorant superstition"
Old 31st December 2017, 08:25 AM   #18
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
According to occult theology there are many higher planes of experience some of which interpenetrate this world, and we are surrounded by psychic energy. It is a dark cloud of negative energy caused by all the wars and suffering. Spiritualist mediums always start a service giving evidence of survival with a prayer to raise the vibrations of the church, or they might open themselves to negative energy.
The highlighted words words are being used in ways that make no sense. Co-opting words with scientific meaning does not science (or meaning) make.
Old 31st December 2017, 09:04 AM   #19
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The highlighted words words are being used in ways that make no sense. Co-opting words with scientific meaning does not science (or meaning) make.
Duuuuuuude! ENERGY!!!!!! It's like everywhere man.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 09:37 AM   #20
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Duuuuuuude! ENERGY!!!!!! It's like everywhere man.
Presumably in equal quantity to the "negative energy"
Old 31st December 2017, 09:43 AM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Or "random ********" signifying nothing.

Not totally dissimilar to any other theology really. Except that it doesn't generally involve learning more useful subjects tangentally.
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:54 AM   #22
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Quote:
'Tis a tale told by an idiot...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:26 AM   #23
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'm not condoning the use of this terminology, but generally speaking when spiritual types talk of positive and negative energy they are talking about order and chaos or, scientifically speaking, degrees of entropy. Things that promote local entropy are to be avoided (negative energy), things that reduce local entropy should be embraced (positive energy). Which is all very logical, but don't ask me about auras.
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:26 AM   #24
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Um, but everything increases entropy.

Seems a bit of a losing game, if you ask me.
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:28 AM   #25
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Um, but everything increases entropy.

Seems a bit of a losing game, if you ask me.
"local"
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:13 AM   #26
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by baron View Post
"local"
Yeah, but that flies in the face of the whole "universal consciousness/everything connected" type thinking that's part of new age, as well.

Not that I really expect it to be internally consistent...just take issue with the description of it as logical. It's only logical if you base it on faulty assumptions.

ETA: Not to mention, new age tends to push ideas about peace and happiness for everyone, and that focus on local (necessarily increasing negative energy elsewhere) also contradicts those ideals. "I've got my positive energy, screw those other guys that have to deal with the negative entropy I've created in their pond". I think relating it to some logical idea of entropy is giving the beliefs too much credit.

ETA2: Or more concisely, I think you're right in the observation that order=positive entropy/chaos=negative entropy, but I don't think the understanding of local vs. global even occurs. They assume the local is all there is, and that an increase there is a universal increase.

Last edited by Hellbound; 2nd January 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:19 AM   #27
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Yeah, but that flies in the face of the whole "universal consciousness/everything connected" type thinking that's part of new age, as well.

Not that I really expect it to be internally consistent...just take issue with the description of it as logical. It's only logical if you base it on faulty assumptions.

ETA: Not to mention, new age tends to push ideas about peace and happiness for everyone, and that focus on local (necessarily increasing negative energy elsewhere) also contradicts those ideals. "I've got my positive energy, screw those other guys that have to deal with the negative entropy I've created in their pond". I think relating it to some logical idea of entropy is giving the beliefs too much credit.

ETA2: Or more concisely, I think you're right in the observation that order=positive entropy/chaos=negative entropy, but I don't think the understanding of local vs. global even occurs. They assume the local is all there is, and that an increase there is a universal increase.
It's very true that whilst 99% of the spiritually inclined trot off these phrases without pausing to even think what they're saying, a minority give their positions some consideration and there may be merit in their ideas. Professionals such as Jung, for example, philosophers like Spinoza, even mystics such as Gurdjieff, they are all worth reading.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:19 PM   #28
steenkh
Philosopher

I'm not condoning the use of this terminology, but generally speaking when spiritual types talk of positive and negative energy they are talking about order and chaos or, scientifically speaking, degrees of entropy.
I don't think so. In my experience, positive energy is when you agree with them, and negative energy is when you don't.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:24 PM   #29
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I'm not condoning the use of this terminology, but generally speaking when spiritual types talk of positive and negative energy they are talking about order and chaos or, scientifically speaking, degrees of entropy. Things that promote local entropy are to be avoided (negative energy), things that reduce local entropy should be embraced (positive energy). Which is all very logical, but don't ask me about auras.

I'd be interested to hear their definition of entropy!

I'm not implying you are in this category, but there's something about woo slingers confidently espousing rubbish as they confidently throw out words like energy, vibration, quantum etc etc etc that actually have meanings that they obviously can't be bothered to understand really gets under my skin!
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:55 PM   #30
dann
Illuminator

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I don't think so. In my experience, positive energy is when you agree with them, and negative energy is when you don't.

Definitely. When they talk about energy, it never has anything to do with energy, when they talk about vibrations and frequencies, it never has anything to do with vibration and frequency, and when they talk about quantum, well, it goes without saying ...
Jung is good for one thing only: In many ways he was one of the founders of new age. Synchronicity, for instance, is a marvelous invention. It's hard enough to make some people understand that correlation is not causation. Jung was actually able to convince people that even obvious coincidences had meaning, to the extent that it is self-evident to many new agers. Jung still tried to argue that the concept was real, which makes the idea much more vulnerable.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:39 PM   #31
xjx388
Philosopher

SPIRITUAL frequencies, vibrations, etc. I have a nephew who talks in these terms quite frequently. He is always trying to get to the next level of existence by raising his vibrational frequency. He accomplishes this by use of meditation and psychedelics. He's one of those guys that has seen the machine elves.

I think this is the next vibration of new age thinking. The New Age is dead; long live the New New Age.

Last edited by xjx388; 4th January 2018 at 12:40 PM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2018, 06:52 PM   #32
wasapi
Illuminator

'

I feel 'enlightened' after glancing at the link and learning that they aren't all people "wearing tie-dye's" or "looking like hippies.

You made a good point about their need to feel "special" or have a child that is "special." They refer to their or their children as having "a gift". In the attempt to be unique, they just become yet another waco.

As I have mentioned before, I live in a town voted "most liberal" in the USA. They are everywhere. The new age healers, light workers, indigo children, people 'gifted' and can communicate with dead souls, those who try to sell crystals with magical implications. Once, walking past people in the town park I over heard this conversation; "I am finally able to give myself permission to open my heart to honesty". WTH that means, I have no idea.
Old 14th January 2018, 01:06 AM   #33
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't think "Lightworker" is all that new - it definitely rings a bell or two. I want to say that I saw them mentioned in "Demon-Haunted World" (I think Sagan transcribed some letters he had received and one of them used the word?) but I don't have a copy anymore so I cannot check.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2018, 09:43 PM   #34
Maksutov
Scholar

The only thing "new" about "New Age" is the packaging. Rebranding with new buzzwords, slogans, catchy names. It's an industry that is endlessly updating and reinventing its products. It's also a subculture that consumes "New Age" products and services. But really, many elements are traceable back at least as far as the Spiritualists in the mid 1800s.
Maksutov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 04:33 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I don't think "Lightworker" is all that new - it definitely rings a bell or two. I want to say that I saw them mentioned in "Demon-Haunted World" (I think Sagan transcribed some letters he had received and one of them used the word?) but I don't have a copy anymore so I cannot check.
Certainly has a ring of familiarity - I have a vague recollection, so may have cropped up in Denis Wheatley's supernatural books?
Old 16th January 2018, 09:10 AM   #36
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
The only thing "new" about "New Age" is the packaging. Rebranding with new buzzwords, slogans, catchy names. It's an industry that is endlessly updating and reinventing its products. It's also a subculture that consumes "New Age" products and services. But really, many elements are traceable back at least as far as the Spiritualists in the mid 1800s.

And it has never gone away, there's always some new version of it, sometimes dressed up in pseudo-scientific jargon, sometimes pure religious nonsense, sometimes a weird blend of both.

The "positive thinking" movement that has so badly infested American culture (and increasingly world culture) is a direct outgrowth of New Age thinking. And anyone who has been around here for a while should remember all the hype about The Secret a few years ago, aka the "law of attraction", another big bunch of New Age woo.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 09:31 AM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sorry, but every time I see the thread title, my reaction is, "why on earth would I have thought new age was dead?"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 02:31 PM   #38
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You can remove the word "occult" and it's still true.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal