ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th December 2017, 04:41 PM   #121
wasapi
Illuminator

It has been mentioned in this thread that dogs can be trained to detect certain odors, but as I recall, several years ago it was discovered that certain dogs showed the ability to detect seizures prior to the event. People with seizure disorders then are warned by the dog in time for the person to prepare so as to avoid falling.

It's my understanding that it was after the process was observed, research followed. And at first, it was observed behavior of the breed - I think - Golden Retrievers.

I guess they could then be known as 'paranormal-pups'? Sorry. Tongue. Cheek. All that.
Old 20th December 2017, 05:43 PM   #122
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukas1986 View Post
Agreed and I apologize but why did you then connect these animals with these two questions?:

When both are asking the same thing - smelling water underwater?
I'm a bad communicator.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 03:56 AM   #123
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm a bad communicator.
Recognising thus, the onus is upon you.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 07:06 AM   #124
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Recognising thus, the onus is upon you.
Which is why I try to clarify if people ask.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:36 AM   #125
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Which is why I try to clarify if people ask.
The onus puts clarity at the at the commencement of correspondence.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 07:37 PM   #126
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not seeing what has got you excited about this - they could have a paper in progress with a journal or they consider they are not at the stage yet for publication.

The only time "MUST" and "SHOULD" come into it is if they want the test to be used in the wild by others. Then of course its effectiveness, false positive rates and so on need to be published and peer reviewed.
I did some more research and there are papers published in peer-reviewed journals (although not apparently yet on this latest study), there has been on-going research, and the university is working with other researchers to independently replicate the results. So it looks like there actually is everything we would expect from science.

There is also a study (by another university) started last month to try to teach dogs to smell Parkinson's.

This does look like a good example of someone claiming an unexpected ability and then actually being able to demonstrate that claim under controlled conditions and even leading to previously unknown knowledge.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal