ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th November 2018, 11:13 AM   #121
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's a bit of an older naming convention differentiating auto-loading pistols from manual repeaters (revolvers). Obsolete conventions are common in some older-style target shooting that have a long history predating the technology. Given that fully automatic pistols are pretty rare in general, it's usually not that confusing.
I've only heard of fully automatic pistols being called machine pistols
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 12:10 PM   #122
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Gun Jesus has a much better presentation on the magnificent Puckle Gun.

It's not a machine gun, but it is incredible for it's time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPC7KiYDshw

But machine guns aka assault rifles, are essentially banned in the USA anyway, unless you are rich and/or know someone.

So why are they being talked about in the context of gun control?

Whatever the founders of the country thought, today, machine guns are essentially banned.

You seem to be agreeing with Loesch that those were "automatic" firearms.

Is any revolver then an "automatic" firearm?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 10:10 PM   #123
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
So the shooter was basically a Democrat. Shocker.
Old 11th November 2018, 12:23 AM   #124
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nitpick, because I can't help myself: Dana Loesch is a she. And incredibly stupid.
Oh, OK.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:02 AM   #125
Cain
Straussian

I'm with Dr. Drew Pinsky. America's problem with guns isn't a gun problem. The real problem is that psychiatrists do not have enough power.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:21 AM   #126
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
When will "most shooters have histories of abusing women" become part of the national conversation? It's true, it's important and it could save lives.
But then you could be a good upstanding guy and lose your guns just because you get a little handsy with women now and then like the president. They let you do it as seen by how the coach backed down. The system works.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 09:32 AM   #127
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
OK, so I take that last post back.

How come these were not commonly used in the Revolutionary War?
Because multiple shots are not that helpful unless one can reload them faster. That is why magazine rifles didn't catch on too quickly militarily. They let you give a burst of fire but then are no faster once the magazine is depleted. Until clips and detachable magazines became common there is not a huge military advantage to the weapons commensurate with their hugely increased price.

The Seige of Plevna showed that magazines are useful to break charges but that was in the 1870's.

Basicly having 2 single shot guns is much more volume of fire than one gun that can fire 4 times, excepting very short engagements. So the weapons were expensive but impractical oddities.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:08 PM   #128
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

They look very expensive and they aren't actual automatic weapons. The mechanism had to be operated manually. It's more like a lever rifle but slower.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:20 PM   #129
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I find it hard to believe this was only four days ago.
Old 12th November 2018, 01:22 PM   #130
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Even if they were widely used back then, they are not machine guns, so it doesn't matter.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:31 PM   #131
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You seem to be agreeing with Loesch that those were "automatic" firearms.

Nope and nope, with the one exception I posted.

Is a Gatling gun a machine gun? (no)

It's manually operated, but it fires reasonably fast.

If we attach a motor to the hand crank, is it then a machine gun? (yes)

A machine gun (automatic firearm) under US law:
"any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."

And the critical parts of such, of course.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #132
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Really any discussion of automatic firearms prior to the widespread adoption of metallic cartridge ammunition seems a willing misrepresentation. Repeating designs prior to the use of cartridge ammunition, even exotic ones like the Puckle gun, are heavily fire-rate limited by the long reloading process of charging lose powder and ball. After the pre-loaded shots are fired, the long reloading process is similar to that of the more common single-fire rifles issued to contemporary military forces.

Dana Loesch was being disingenuous when she claims the Puckle gun is any kind of automatic weapon. It's an exotic stationary gun that uses a revolving action for repeated firing and was not adopted by any military for significant use. It is only really known now by gun enthusiasts as a historic novelty and as a disingenuous rhetorical device for NRA shills like Loesch.

The Gatling gun was the first high fire rate gun of any widespread significance and even then is not a true machine gun, being manually operated.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #133
crescent
Master Poster

In discussions of mass shooting incidents and gun control, magazine capacity often comes up.

The suggestion that smaller magazine sizes may slow down a shooter, allowing people to escape, is countered by the idea that changing magazines can be done very quickly.

It may be worth noting that in this case, the shooter stopped to change magazines, and people were able to take advantage of that stoppage to escape:

A Gunman Opened Fire. This Man Acted Quickly—And Saved Dozens of Lives.

Quote:
Matt Wennerstrom was at a bar with his friends when a gunman started firing. First, the 20-year-old ushered people behind a pool table. Then, as the gunman reloaded, Wennerstrom threw a barstool through a window, creating a path of escape.

Thanks to Wennerstrom, dozens of people escaped from the gunman who killed 12 inside the country music bar in Thousand Oaks, California, the Washington Post reports.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #134
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Articles I’ve read say Wennerstrom got 30 to 35 people out through the window.

That’s an awful long magazine swap.
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #135
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
This is true as well. It's literally seconds even when not in a hurry: Press mag release, push in new mag, switch slide catch, done.
I was taught to keep track of shots fired so there was a round in the chamber while changing magazines, no need to rack the slide to chamber a round. Plus there's a round available if needed (barring a BAP type magazine safety).
Most factory Glock magazines need to be pulled out, they don't drop free when the catch is released.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #136
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There are a few models that tap firing energy to rotate the cylinder and re-cock the hammer, in the manner of semi-automatic pistols. It would, in theory, be possible to modify them to empty the cylinder in a single burst.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #137
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I was taught to keep track of shots fired so there was a round in the chamber while changing magazines, no need to rack the slide to chamber a round. Plus there's a round available if needed (barring a BAP type magazine safety).
Most factory Glock magazines need to be pulled out, they don't drop free when the catch is released.
Really? Mine drops, unless I have the gun at a weird angle.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events