IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , native american myths

Old 28th March 2021, 05:20 PM   #1401
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It certainly seems to be the case to me that Bigfoot enthusiasts have taken any Native American (or indeed, any worldwide aboriginal) legend of a bipedal figure that lives or lurks in the woods, even if the figure is explicitly described as just a man, or some type of spirit or ghost rather than a physical creature, and unilaterally declared that every one must be a reference to Bigfoot.
Hat tip to James Randi here: Nobody knows better than the con man that he is lying.

These are people with no conscience. It's okay to both hoax bigfoot into existence along with defiling native heritage.

This is not harmless legend-tripping. It's an awful lot of lying.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2021, 07:58 AM   #1402
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Bigfoot doesn't exist. The videos of this alleged creature are men in monkey suits. If Bigfoot existed one would have been killed or captured by now. Bigfoot if it existed would have by now voluntarily joined us. They would be better off being known than hiding out. Better food and accomodations to say the least.
Old 29th March 2021, 05:13 PM   #1403
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Bigfoot doesn't exist. The videos of this alleged creature are men in monkey suits. If Bigfoot existed one would have been killed or captured by now. Bigfoot if it existed would have by now voluntarily joined us. They would be better off being known than hiding out. Better food and accomodations to say the least.

Yes
Yes
Yes
What animal has ever "voluntarily joined us"?
Agreed.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 06:12 AM   #1404
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I can see our hairy friend negotiating with the Smithsonian...

“On exhibit just 8 hours a day, Mr. Squatch. Your choice of foodstuffs, weekly shampoo, fluff, and dry, dental care, pedicures... What do you say?”

“Uh....Big-screen TV? I be Mariners fan.”
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 07:17 AM   #1405
Drewbot
Philosopher

"If any of my contractual demands are not met... BZZT!, i'm gone. Got it?"

'yes Sir Mr. Squatch sir.'
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 08:48 AM   #1406
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I didn't think I'd have to mention the Jack Links . . .

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 30th March 2021 at 08:49 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 02:51 PM   #1407
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

It's so simple a caveman Sasquatch could do it.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 09:24 PM   #1408
whatsthedreamnow
Scholar

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
"If any of my contractual demands are not met... BZZT!, i'm gone. Got it?"

'yes Sir Mr. Squatch sir.'
We need a Drewbot sketch to this effect.
whatsthedreamnow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 10:59 PM   #1409
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

What animal has ever "voluntarily joined us"?
Old 31st March 2021, 06:55 PM   #1410
Checkmite

I'd argue that isn't an example. I would call canines becoming docile and friendly toward humans an adaptation to the pressure of humans' domestication campaign rather than a decision they voluntarily made. Dogs like humans now because we bred them to do that; we kept dogs that were easier to handle and....disposed of dogs that weren't.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2021, 08:54 PM   #1411
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

I'd argue that isn't an example. I would call canines becoming docile and friendly toward humans an adaptation to the pressure of humans' domestication campaign rather than a decision they voluntarily made. Dogs like humans now because we bred them to do that; we kept dogs that were easier to handle and....disposed of dogs that weren't.
I dunno. I read a neat thing that of course I can’t remember now, that suggested a kinda mutual adaptation. Basically, wild dogs would follow human settlements on the periphery, where humans dumped stuff, to get good eats. Adaptive traits then meant being more docile in order to kind of get closer in, and that it wasn’t directly human caused. That probably makes no sense the way I put it.
Old 31st March 2021, 11:58 PM   #1412
Checkmite

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I dunno. I read a neat thing that of course I can’t remember now, that suggested a kinda mutual adaptation. Basically, wild dogs would follow human settlements on the periphery, where humans dumped stuff, to get good eats. Adaptive traits then meant being more docile in order to kind of get closer in, and that it wasn’t directly human caused. That probably makes no sense the way I put it.
This is the story told in the recent remake of "Cosmos" with Tyson; but the whole tale is essentially a massive case of [citation needed], and is only one of several proposed mechanisms of interaction. The problem with that particular story is that it might explain how humans grew to expect and tolerate wild dogs living on the fringes of their settlements; but that's not the same thing as "joining us". All manner of animals today including raccoons, bears, and buzzards similarly have adapted to living in close proximity (or even within) human settlements but those animals have decidedly not elected to "join us"; they will scavenge from humans but will still avoid direct contact with us whenever possible, and become aggressive with us if we get too close.

However the proximity-relationship arose, at some point humans - as a program - began physically capturing the wild dogs and selectively breeding them, no longer merely tolerating their nearby presence. The details are lost to time, but to me it seems highly unlikely this shift was an arrangement in which the dogs had a meaningful choice and could have chosen not to participate.
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:59 PM   #1413
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Really? I've domesticated all kinds of wild animals. By feeding them.

The most delicious was a moose. The only one who returned to the wild was a raven. But then again, I could have eaten him and didn't.

Wild canines learn that after the rifle shot there's going to be a gut pile and bones for them to feast upon after the humans take away the meat. So they come. Humans are stupid that way, leaving all that yummy intestinal goo.

I noticed with my own dogs that adding garlic, salt, cooking to perfection - they were thrilled for that kind of fare, leaping upon it when offered, while leaving raw meat and bone aside.

So it is really easy to see how this happened between man and canines. They did not have to capture the canines.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 12:18 AM   #1414
Checkmite

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Really? I've domesticated all kinds of wild animals. By feeding them.
You have tamed wild animals. Most definitions that I've seen seem to agree that a program of selective breeding that has a detectable impact on a species' genome is what makes "domestication".
Old 4th April 2021, 04:37 PM   #1415
Axxman300
Philosopher

You have tamed wild animals. Most definitions that I've seen seem to agree that a program of selective breeding that has a detectable impact on a species' genome is what makes "domestication".
This leads to another line of Bigfoot questions: Why does a large primate/humanoid that hunts and or forages for food not eat human food or food scraps?

Where are the stories of Bigfoot dumpster diving, dumping out trashcans, or raiding coolers at camp sites? Bears, raccoons, monkeys and others do this daily around the world. Bears rip off car doors to get to food. Yet even during droughts and blight the Bigfoot doesn't seem to come out of the woods looking for easy chow.

Why is that?

The answer is there is not such thing as Bigfoot
Old 4th April 2021, 05:05 PM   #1416
Nakani
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Why is that?
Animals bring Bigfoot human food, in exchange for not eating them.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 07:56 PM   #1417
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
This leads to another line of Bigfoot questions: Why does a large primate/humanoid that hunts and or forages for food not eat human food or food scraps?
Oh one poster told us a Bigfoot, or possibly a swamp ape, raided his pantry for cans of beans, also stealing a screwdriver to open them.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2021, 08:53 PM   #1418
whatsthedreamnow
Scholar

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Oh one poster told us a Bigfoot, or possibly a swamp ape, raided his pantry for cans of beans, also stealing a screwdriver to open them.
The good ol days. They seem to have given up in the last year or so.
whatsthedreamnow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal