ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th August 2020, 05:44 AM   #321
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Nayna puts forth the hypothesis that the crowd is comfortable with mass public shaming IRL b/c they've been acculterated to performative shaming online. I think he may be on to something here, if only because I've trouble imagining feeling that good about bullying someone like this.
Seems to me that months of sustained street protests can better explain why groups of protesters might feel emboldened to make public demands. Why bend yourself over backwards trying to make some connection to internet wokescolds?

I see no hallmarks of the supposed "cancel culture" here. Nobody is trying or threatening to get anyone fired. Nobody is trying to dox this lady.

I think this is a useful example of the real definition of "cancel culture", which is any activity that reactionaries don't like.
Old 26th August 2020, 05:46 AM   #322
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So just any video of any altercation is "LOOKIT LIBRUL CANCEL CULTURE OMG PONIES!!11!!!" now?

Dear God look at this Cancel Culture! *Post screenshot of the 2019 Royal Rumble Match*
Old 26th August 2020, 05:46 AM   #323
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think this is a useful example of the real definition of "cancel culture", which is any activity that reactionaries don't like.
I think this here is an excellent example of going ad hominem instead of addressing the social phenomenon of mob justice.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th August 2020 at 05:51 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 05:48 AM   #324
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I think this here is an excellent example of going ad hominem instead of talking about the social phenomenon of mob justice.
I see a mob, but no lynching.

This lady got shouted at. Not a pleasant experience, I'm sure, but I see no lingering injury.

I would agree that this group of protesters is engaging in dumb and tedious tactics here, but there's no scandal. Sucks that this lady's cafe visit was ******, life goes on.

How is this "cancel culture". Who got cancelled? What attempts were made to cancel anyone? This lady got shouted out by a passing group of misguided protesters. This is even more pathetic than the normal right wing grievance mongering.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th August 2020 at 05:50 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 05:52 AM   #325
d4m10n
Philosopher

Seems to me that months of sustained street protests can better explain why groups of protesters might feel emboldened to make public demands.
What are they demanding of the woman in the pink blouse?
Old 26th August 2020, 05:54 AM   #326
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Given the chants of "white silence is violence", i'm assuming they want some gesture of solidarity with the general BLM protest movement.

How is this cancel culture? She got yelled at. Cry me a river already.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th August 2020 at 06:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 05:57 AM   #327
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

WHY THE **** ARE YOU ASKING US WHEN YOU'RE THE ONE WHO POSTED THE VIDEO!?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:02 AM   #328
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He/she/they wasn't the one who said the protesters were 'making demands'.

Last edited by Elaedith; 26th August 2020 at 06:03 AM.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 06:05 AM   #329
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Here I am being told that progressives are the real snowflakes.

How is this story of a lady getting yelled at newsworthy?

I'm sure watching the video gave Andy Ngo another brain injury, but other than that, what's the scandal here?

With all the riots and such going on these days, you'd think the reactionary right could churn out some better outrage bait than this.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:05 AM   #330
RedStapler

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's his schtick. He is addicted to creating cheap gotcha situations. He already knew what the crowd was about but he preferred to wait until some people posted and now he can grin and say "See, they screamed at her just because she refused to raise her fist"
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 06:11 AM   #331
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
"See, they screamed at her just because she refused to raise her fist"
Is that why they are screaming at her, in your understanding?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:12 AM   #332
d4m10n
Philosopher

With all the riots and such going on these days, you'd think the reactionary right could churn out some better outrage bait than this.
Have you thought about addressing the incident itself instead of performing Bulverism?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:15 AM   #333
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Have you thought about addressing the incident itself instead of performing Bulverism?
I am addressing the incident. Some protesters were rude and had dumb ideas. How is this cancel culture? Nobody got cancelled.

You posted it in this thread, care to explain how it is relevant at all?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:18 AM   #334
d4m10n
Philosopher

You posted it in this thread, care to explain how it is relevant at all?
Sure thing. Can you tell what demands are being made here, and how those demands are being enforced?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:21 AM   #335
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Sure thing. Can you tell what demands are being made here, and how those demands are being enforced?
No. I see people shouting, and nothing of any substance happening. I don't understand how this video is at all newsworthy and sure would love an explanation for why it's relevant to this thread, or to anything at all.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:22 AM   #336
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think this here is an excellent example of going ad hominem instead of addressing the social phenomenon of mob justice.
I'm genuinely slightly confused (to be fair it's been a lifelong affliction), I thought "cancel culture" was meant to be something new, that it was distinct from what people could and did do in the past? (The "past" usually meaning pre-internet or pre-mass social media.)
Old 26th August 2020, 06:30 AM   #337
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm genuinely slightly confused (to be fair it's been a lifelong affliction), I thought "cancel culture" was meant to be something new, that it was distinct from what people could and did do in the past? (The "past" usually meaning pre-internet or pre-mass social media.)
My understanding is that cancel culture was a specific phenomena of internet mobs getting people doxxed and fired or otherwise ostracized for perceived breaches of social norms.

None of those things have happened here, I honestly don't see the connection.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:33 AM   #338
d4m10n
Philosopher

I'd say the online virality is the only part that is new here.

Mob justice and struggle sessions performative public humiliation are as old as humanity, I would imagine.

None of those things have happened here, I honestly don't see the connection.
That's odd, since it's fairly bleeding obvious.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th August 2020 at 06:36 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 06:37 AM   #339
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

That's odd, since it's fairly bleeding obvious.
Some of us are a bit slow, why don't you explain it instead of beating around the bush?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:40 AM   #340
d4m10n
Philosopher

Some of us are a bit slow, why don't you explain it instead of beating around the bush?
Sure thing. What demands can you see the crowd making and what sanctions are they threatening?
Old 26th August 2020, 06:40 AM   #341
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Sure thing. What demands can you see the crowd making and what sanctions are they threatening?
You tell me bud, it's your example. Spare me the Socratic shtick and just make your point already.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:41 AM   #342
d4m10n
Philosopher

You tell me bud, it's your example. Spare me the Socratic shtick and just make your point already.
Please see posts #325 & #328.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:43 AM   #343
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Please see posts #325 & #328.
This is a waste of time. Truly impressive effort to avoid saying anything substantial while just regurgitating the right wing's outrage of the day. It's nice to have a hobby, I guess.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 26th August 2020 at 06:44 AM.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:56 AM   #344
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'd say the online virality is the only part that is new here.

Mob justice and struggle sessions performative public humiliation are as old as humanity, I would imagine.

...snip...
Earlier when I mentioned the likes of pressure groups I thought you were saying cancel culture is different, but I'm thinking you are in fact saying it is the same behaviour we've always had?

What do you want to happen in regards to " cancel culture"? Do you want some components of that behaviour to made illegal? For private companies like Twitter and Facebook to not their platforms for people to protest? And so on?
Old 26th August 2020, 07:12 AM   #345
d4m10n
Philosopher

What do you want to happen in regards to " cancel culture"?
Please see my response at post #177.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:01 AM   #346
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Please see my response at post #177.
1) How do you know people are not doing that?
2) If they aren't how are you going to get people to behave as you wish them to rather than how they wish to behave?
Old 26th August 2020, 08:13 AM   #347
d4m10n
Philosopher

1) How do you know people are not doing that?
Do the people in the video look as if they have stopped to take a moment to carefully consider whether they are doing the right thing by surrounding and publicly shaming the woman in the pink blouse? Do they seem to have asked themselves whether it makes sense to instill fear-based compliance in those whom they see as transgressing the emergent moral norm? I'd say no to both.

2) If they aren't how are you going to get people to behave as you wish them to rather than how they wish to behave?
I doubt that there is any reasoning with folks who've worked themselves into a lather of self-righteous rage.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:16 AM   #348
RedStapler

Is that why they are screaming at her, in your understanding?
Please see my response #330.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 08:17 AM   #349
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Do the people in the video look as if they have stopped to take a moment to carefully consider whether they are doing the right thing by surrounding and publicly shaming the woman in the pink blouse? Do they seem to have asked themselves whether it makes sense to instill fear-based compliance in those whom they see as transgressing the emergent moral norm? I'd say no to both. ...snip...
Hang on the last link then is an example "cancel culture"? I'm now totally confused now about what you mean by cancel culture??
Old 26th August 2020, 08:24 AM   #350
d4m10n
Philosopher

Hang on the last link then is an example "cancel culture"?
It is an example of at least two elements of cancel culture, that is, self-righteous indignation over a perceived transgression and an attempt by the affronted mob to collectively modify the behaviour of the transgressor.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:25 AM   #351
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

It is an example of at least two elements of cancel culture, that is, self-righteous indignation over a perceived transgression and an attempt by the affronted mob to collectively modify the behaviour of the transgressor.
Now tell me about the Montgomery bus boycott.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 08:25 AM   #352
d4m10n
Philosopher

What is your understanding of the situation, though?
Old 26th August 2020, 08:27 AM   #353
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Now tell me about the Montgomery bus boycott.
Are you trying to say that sometimes mob action is thought through and well-justified, therefore mob action is always good?
Old 26th August 2020, 08:30 AM   #354
RedStapler

What is your understanding of the situation, though?
Old 26th August 2020, 08:32 AM   #355
d4m10n
Philosopher

See, they screamed at her just because she refused to raise her fist
Is this what you think actually happened?
Old 26th August 2020, 08:42 AM   #356
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Is this what you think actually happened?
you might be giving Bob a run for his money with this tedium.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:44 AM   #357
d4m10n
Philosopher

you might be giving Bob a run for his money with this tedium.
Seems weird that RedStapler won't go so far as to say whether that fake quote was intended as a characterization of what actually happened or not.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:47 AM   #358
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Seems weird that RedStapler won't go so far as to say whether that fake quote was intended as a characterization of what actually happened or not.
Seems odd that you are really dead-set on refusing to characterize what you think is happening in the video, even though you're the one that posted it.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:52 AM   #359
d4m10n
Philosopher

Seems odd that you are really dead-set on refusing to characterize what you think is happening in the video, even though you're the one that posted it.
Did you miss post #350?
Old 26th August 2020, 08:57 AM   #360
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Did you miss post #350?
I did.

It strikes me as an absurdly broad definition. Does cancel culture, to your eye, mean any kind of attempt to enforce social norms?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events