ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 24th July 2017, 10:15 PM   #2721
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
99.999% Up time.

That's 0.001% downtime

That works out to 0.3654 days of down time per year.

Fortunately we were being held to this standard before the contract promising it was signed. I manged to convince the owner that he had to either, very quickly:
  1. Spend tens of thousands of dollars on new hardware and hire additional staff to be on a pager rotation.
  2. Lose the contract.
  3. Add an exception for "scheduled" downtime.

He went for adding an exception for scheduled downtime. I'd wanted him to discuss this with the client first, but he chose to add it and see if they'd sign. They did.

With that caveat, we were able to maintain the up-time that had been promised, so long as the management above me was comically generous with the concept of what kind of downtime was "scheduled." The rule from the CTO became, if the server was down, reboot it and log it as "emergency scheduled downtime." The irony is this resulted in even MORE downtime for the site, as reboots took longer than many other fixes, some of which had to be applied after the reboot anyway. It was BS spin that would have made most politicians ill, but it was technicality legal on paper. After that the five 9s up-time was an advertised "feature" of the system with the same exception.

The owner went on to sell the company. I jumped ship just before most the staff was laid off and the remains were absorbed into the new corporate overlord's infrastructure.

Thanks for the detailed answer-curiosity satisfied!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 06:11 AM   #2722
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Matthew Cline View Post
So then, he makes a prototype which has some problem with it, but he's so sure that the problem is easily fixed that he makes announcements about selling the device Real Soon Now™, and maybe even makes a contract for delivery of devices. But then it turns out that the "easily fixed" problem is actually insurmountable, so he has to scrap that design and do it a different way. And then this happens again. And again.

Is that about right?
Almost. "Real Soon Now" is not trademarked, and Mills doesn't scrap a mere design for another. He invents a new methodology of hydrino production.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 06:20 AM   #2723
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by markie View Post
Almost. "Real Soon Now" is not trademarked, and Mills doesn't scrap a mere design for another. He invents a new methodology Mythology of hydrino production.
FTFY
Old 25th July 2017, 06:27 AM   #2724
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Almost. "Real Soon Now" is not trademarked, and Mills doesn't scrap a mere design for another. He invents a new methodology of hydrino production.
Yes, funny how every time he's about to bring something to market and actually allow his long-suffering investors to recoup some of what so far has been thirty years of dead loss, suddenly he decides he can do it better but it'll take another few years. Even if his mythical hydrinos were real, he'd still be an awful investment, because his entire methodology seems designed to prevent any actual return on investment.

But, hey, I'm sure you're happy to wait another thirty years.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 07:20 AM   #2725
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Gosh, he wasn't a yes-man, far from it. (He defied even the owner on occasion - one time he brought the phone and network system to a halt because the owner was not giving him the pay he thought he deserved.) This guy just liked the challenge of a new project and was confident, rather brash and almost boastful that he could do it. He was talented and could think well on his feet. Now, I can imagine the type of person you are thinking about in the context of a bigger company, but this guy was not that guy. This world has all kinds.
So, by your own admission, he was a blowhard liar with a big mouth. He had a modicum of skill, allowing him to get there in the end, or at least convince people he had, but he was completely incompetent at even beginning to assess the real work needed to get the job done. As a result, no time-frame or budget estimates he ever gave could ever be relied upon. I pity his wife. People who make big commitments without even considering their implications tend to fall short in life in a lot of ways.

Spin it all you want. I imagine admitting your friend was terrible at his job is difficult for you, but in the end the bragging jackass you describe is the kind of person I'd want to see my competitors employ.

I think I'm beginning to see why you like Mills. You're projecting your positive impression of the jackass you're telling us about onto the 30 years of Mills failures. You've convinced yourself that because you think your friend always got there in the end (he didn't his kind never do, you're just falling for his spin) that Mills will too. As a result, accepting that Mills is a con man or a moron means you'd have to make a similar admission about a friend you idolize. You'd have to mentally betray your friend to see Mills for what he is.

Fascinating.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 10:02 AM   #2726
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Mills has not delayed product over the last twenty five years. Getting hydrino reaction to occur at sufficient power densities and in continuous fashion has proven to be a very hard problem even for Mills. The many approaches he has tried over twenty five years are a testament to his intellect, tenacity and creativity.

And now that he has attained the desired hydrino reaction process within the last three years, he deserves the time to make his first commercial product as presentable as he wants. Good on him.
Good on him, when it happens...
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 07:34 PM   #2727
Matthew Cline
Muse

Almost. ... He invents a new methodology of hydrino production.
So then, Mills came up with a method of hydrino production, made some prototype devices based on that method, but found that the devices didn't have enough power density to be commercially viable. Rather than do some physics to figure out if it's even theoretically possible for that method to produce the needed power density, he assumed that of course that method could produce the needed power density, and that getting the device to produce that power density was merely an engineering problem rather than a hard limit imposed by physics. So he tried and tried and tried to engineer the device properly, and only after years of banging his head against a wall did he realize that the problem wasn't one of engineering but rather a hard limit imposed by physics. This forced him to find a new method of hydrino production.

He finds a new method of hydrino production, and again the resulting devices have insufficient power density. But rather than learn from experience that maybe physics means this method simply can't give the needed power density, he again assumes that getting the sufficient power density is an engineering method, again spends years banging his head against a wall, and again has to look for a new method.

He finds a third method of hydrino production, one that actually has an amazing power density. But instead of commercializing this amazing power density, he... what? He's learned the wrong lesson from his previous attempts, and now assumes that any method of hydrino production will face an engineering problem that needs to be overcome before it can be commercialized? The power density isn't quite as amazing as claimed, and thus he has to invent a new method of converting heat to electricity for the devices to be commercially viable? What?
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #2728
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Until just recently, weren't we being told that the power density was incredible, and the only remaining problem was photo-voltaic cell production? And before that, the power density was incredible, and the only remaining hurdle was the heat exchanger.

So, it was a power density problem right along. Interesting.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM   #2729
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I think we should have a sweepstake on what peripheral solved problem is the next insoluble problem that will eventually turn out to be a power density problem[1] next time.

Dave

[1] The real problem being, of course, that the net power density <0.
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #2730
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Long before a hydrino cell is ready for commercialization, we'll be using lead-acid batteries that generate power indefinitely without requiring a recharge. All we have to do is invent a way to prevent the anode from corroding.

So far, prototypes that minimize the corrosion have produced only very low power densities, and prototypes that produce high power densities have suffered from rapid corrosion. But I'm sure we'll find a solution soon.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #2731
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Matthew Cline View Post
So then, Mills came up with a method of hydrino production, made some prototype devices based on that method, but found that the devices didn't have enough power density to be commercially viable. Rather than do some physics to figure out if it's even theoretically possible for that method to produce the needed power density, he assumed that of course that method could produce the needed power density, and that getting the device to produce that power density was merely an engineering problem rather than a hard limit imposed by physics. So he tried and tried and tried to engineer the device properly, and only after years of banging his head against a wall did he realize that the problem wasn't one of engineering but rather a hard limit imposed by physics. This forced him to find a new method of hydrino production.

He finds a new method of hydrino production, and again the resulting devices have insufficient power density. But rather than learn from experience that maybe physics means this method simply can't give the needed power density, he again assumes that getting the sufficient power density is an engineering method, again spends years banging his head against a wall, and again has to look for a new method.

He finds a third method of hydrino production, one that actually has an amazing power density. But instead of commercializing this amazing power density, he... what? He's learned the wrong lesson from his previous attempts, and now assumes that any method of hydrino production will face an engineering problem that needs to be overcome before it can be commercialized? The power density isn't quite as amazing as claimed, and thus he has to invent a new method of converting heat to electricity for the devices to be commercially viable? What?

Huh? Pre SunCell, engineering problems were minimal relative to problems in the chemistry and physics of hydrino generation with different types of past cells. Only with the SunCell have the engineering hurdles taken centre stage.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #2732
Dave Rogers

Huh? Pre SunCell, engineering problems were minimal relative to problems in the chemistry and physics of hydrino generation with different types of past cells. Only with the SunCell have the engineering hurdles taken centre stage.
I think you've just called Mills a liar again.

Dave

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #2733
markie
Muse

So, by your own admission, he was a blowhard liar with a big mouth. He had a modicum of skill, allowing him to get there in the end, or at least convince people he had, but he was completely incompetent at even beginning to assess the real work needed to get the job done. As a result, no time-frame or budget estimates he ever gave could ever be relied upon. I pity his wife. People who make big commitments without even considering their implications tend to fall short in life in a lot of ways.

Spin it all you want. I imagine admitting your friend was terrible at his job is difficult for you, but in the end the bragging jackass you describe is the kind of person I'd want to see my competitors employ.

I think I'm beginning to see why you like Mills. You're projecting your positive impression of the jackass you're telling us about onto the 30 years of Mills failures. You've convinced yourself that because you think your friend always got there in the end (he didn't his kind never do, you're just falling for his spin) that Mills will too. As a result, accepting that Mills is a con man or a moron means you'd have to make a similar admission about a friend you idolize. You'd have to mentally betray your friend to see Mills for what he is.

Fascinating.
Heck, he wasn't my friend. Neither were we enemies. I respected his skills and tolerated his over confident and bombastic nature. In the end when I refused to carry out what I regarded as a morally repugnant request from the new owner, this guy and the lead programmer did not come to my defence, and I was fired.
Again, the world has all kinds.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #2734
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
Until just recently, weren't we being told that the power density was incredible, and the only remaining problem was photo-voltaic cell production? And before that, the power density was incredible, and the only remaining hurdle was the heat exchanger.

So, it was a power density problem right along. Interesting.

Power density was always an issue before the SunCell, with one exception that I know of: the nickel powder cell, I think around 2008. But in that case the high power was short lived and the cell could not be properly renewed to yield continuous power afaik.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #2735
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Long before a hydrino cell is ready for commercialization, we'll be using lead-acid batteries that generate power indefinitely without requiring a recharge. All we have to do is invent a way to prevent the anode from corroding.

So far, prototypes that minimize the corrosion have produced only very low power densities, and prototypes that produce high power densities have suffered from rapid corrosion. But I'm sure we'll find a solution soon.
Off topic but could you link to a discussion/research on that subject? Or give me the technical name of what is being looked at? Thanks
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #2736
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Off topic but could you link to a discussion/research on that subject? Or give me the technical name of what is being looked at? Thanks
Would it help to note that corrosion of the anode is the process by which a lead acid cell releases energy? Or that Myriad's posts have been known on occasion to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek?

Dave

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #2737
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

Hell, that's simple enough to fix. We'll just run a bit of current through the anode to reverse the corrosion, letting us produce an endless supply of voltage off the cathode.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #2738
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Would it help to note that corrosion of the anode is the process by which a lead acid cell releases energy? Or that Myriad's posts have been known on occasion to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek?

Dave
I believe sardonic is the term you're looking for.

adjective:
grimly mocking or cynical.

synonyms:
mocking, satirical, sarcastic, ironical, ironic; cynical, scornful, contemptuous, derisive, derisory, sneering, jeering; scathing, caustic, trenchant, cutting, sharp, acerbic
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #2739
Myriad
Hyperthetical

What Dave Rogers said. It's another metaphor for what's actually happening with Mills's inventions, similar to my earlier one of "a wood-burning stove made of wood." Such a stove, if configured to burn slowly, would produce a small amount of "excess" energy for an extended period of time. If allowed to just burn up uncontrolled instead, it would produce a large amount of "excess" energy for a short period of time. Either way, it would be destroyed in the process.

The same trade-off exists (to varying degrees) for electrochemical batteries, and the analogy to Mills's cells becomes closer if the oxidation-reduction reactions that power an electrochemical cell are mischaracterized as unwanted "corrosion" that could be "corrected" with some new improved design. Unlike the wooden wood-burning stove, the corrosion process in some batteries, such as lead-acid cells, is reversible; we call those "rechargeable."

If Mills's cells are producing excess energy at all, which is in some question, they're doing so by corroding/burning up the refined metals their components are made of. That explains the observed alternating trade-offs between models achieving long runs/low energy density and models with impressive energy density/oops, burned out quickly.

Last edited by Myriad; Yesterday at 10:14 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #2740
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Power density was always an issue before the SunCell, with one exception that I know of: the nickel powder cell, I think around 2008. But in that case the high power was short lived and the cell could not be properly renewed to yield continuous power afaik.
Yes Mills has been trying for a very long time to mask the simple fact that his "peak power" is coming from his equipment burning up. It always has and it always will, because there is no hydrino. So he burns up his equipment fast and a big flash of heat and light and obscene power densities, but the equipment can't survive it. Or he can try and control the burn to a slower rate and power densities drop and the equipment lasts longer. But he loses the power densities he gets from explosively burning up his equipment like a flash bulb.

It has been explained to you repeatedly how Mills is pulling off this scam and what he is seeing in his experiments is NOT hydrinos, but rather burning refined metals. Yet you refuse to acknowledge it at all, why? Is it just that you didn't know metals burn?

Quote:
Almost all metals burn, given a suitable environment. Metals typically burn at extremely high temperatures, and alkali metals, such as lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, and cesium, are particularly reactive with water. When water is applied to an alkali metal fire, the heated water particles can separate into hydrogen and hydroxide. The hydrogen acts as an accelerant (increasing the rate of combustion) and can cause an explosion.

Unlike alkali metals, larger pieces of metals such as aluminum, magnesium, titanium, zirconium or hafnium, can be very difficult to ignite under ordinary conditions, and if ignited can usually be successfully extinguished with water. Such fires may also self-extinguish if the heat source is removed. These same metals are more easily ignited and burn more readily as the piece size reduces. In fine granular or powder form, such as might be produced as a by-product of certain manufacturing processes (or by Mills scams), these metals are known to readily ignite, and can cause explosions if dispersed in the air. [1]
my insertion
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; Yesterday at 02:30 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #2741
Matthew Cline
Muse

Pre SunCell, engineering problems were minimal relative to problems in the chemistry and physics of hydrino generation with different types of past cells. Only with the SunCell have the engineering hurdles taken centre stage.
So pre SunCell, they thought that if they overcame the chemistry and physics problems that they could dramatically increase the power density of each of those hydrino production methods?

And even though the problems were chemistry/physics, they didn't bother to derive the maximum theoretical power density before spending years trying to improve each method's power density?
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #2742
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Heck, he wasn't my friend. Neither were we enemies. I respected his skills and tolerated his over confident and bombastic nature. In the end when I refused to carry out what I regarded as a morally repugnant request from the new owner, this guy and the lead programmer did not come to my defence, and I was fired.
Again, the world has all kinds.
So what?

You've already offered up the bombastic lying jackass as an example of something you admire. For reasons that escape me, you seem to think shooting off one's mouth and making promises that can't be kept is somehow a good thing, so long as you've been convinced the lying sack of refuse has what you consider to be "good" intentions.

It explains why you keep falling for Mills and his decades long parade of broken promises.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I think you've just called Mills a liar again.
And they've made it very clear they consider that kind of lying to be an attribute, not a flaw.

I'm tempted to make a joke about the overlap between Trump voters and Mills investors due to shared gullibility, but I don't want to spark a political tangent about the Great Circus Peanut.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #2743
macdoc
Philosopher

How prescient was this

macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #2744
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

percentages vs fractions

For example, he promised five 9's up-time
off topic but I must ask what that means?
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
99.999% guaranteed uptime for a computer's systems and/or network. It's a measure of reliability and is normally hugely expensive because of the amount of backups and monitoring and so on in order to keep all those systems operational with minimal interruption. There is also 99.99%, 99.9%, 99%, etc.
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
99.999% up time. Basically available all but five minutes of the year.
99.999% Up time.

That's 0.001% downtime

That works out to 0.3654 days of down time per year.
The highlighted bit is incorrect, because 0.001% is 0.00001. As RecoveringYuppy said, that level of reliability means no more than 5 minutes of down time per year.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #2745
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
The highlighted bit is incorrect, because 0.001% is 0.00001. As RecoveringYuppy said, that level of reliability means no more than 5 minutes of down time per year.
Insert "Office Space" quote about decimal place errors here.

The annoying thing is I don't normally make such errors.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology